30 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2012 1:54 PM by rodbengon RSS

[DEVS/MODS] Why does MW3 turns off my PS3?

First of all, i got a PS3 Fat(The old not Slim)

I bought Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3 about a week ago, since then i didnt have much time to play multiplayer or online games, however i did finish the campaign. While i was playing the campaign, on veteran difficulty, i noticed that it suddenly started freezing/crashing my PS3.

How did this happen?

As far as i remember, it all began on the mission called: The Black Tuesday.

I was almost finishing it when suddenly my PS3 turned off and started blinking a red light. I thought maybe it was overheat, so i stopped playing PS3 for that day.
On the other day, i was afraid again of playing MW3, thinking i could get a YLOD, thats the constant Yellow Light Blinking. So i kept playing many other games for a long time. I didnt have any issue.
So then, as i didnt have any problems playing other games, i decided to play again MW3. I was playing Survival with my friend, we hit wave 32 - Dome and Suddenly PS3 turns off blinking a red light AGAIN!
It didnt save i got till wave 32...
Well AND to sum up, on Multiplayer games you cant play aswell. In reality it is even worse, because if you spend 30 minutes playing your PS3 will be turned off.

Well i bet im not the only one having this problem, i already browsed lots of Forums that their users had the exact problem and all of them had the fat PS3

I believe that isnt a Sony issue, because MW3 is the only game in years that is doing that to me.

I would like to fix it, if you really know how to fix it please reply it, however if you dont know what im talking about, or thinks it is YLOD please DO NOT POST. I am pretty sure it isnt YLOD because my friend had once and my PS3 STILL WORKS PERFECTLY!
Thanks in Advance, on the one hand im complaining a lot, on the other hand i must admit this game is awesome. Just need some bug fixes

I hope you can fix it with a simple patch update and id appreciate it very much.

**PLAYERS THAT ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE AS ME AND CANT STAND IT: BELOW THERE IS A POST I MARKED AS ''HELPFULL ANSWER''' IT IS A MINI TUTORIAL SHARING HOW TO TEMPORALLY FIX MW3 CRASHES.**

Message was edited by: MiBR

• Re: [MODERATORS]MW3 keeps crashing on PS3?

[UP][UP]

I am waiting for a reply

[UP][UP]

MVME2NIGHT

These is happening with  alot of people I have the slim and it happen to me too but you put PS3 on you title and nobody here give a crap about PS3 I seen plenty of post but no respond from the mods

It was a bad decision to buy MW3 with much respect for the fans of the game
      q is the first time I have this problem and Evista so many people who have the same problems with the game and one of the moderators of the forums or ward iinfinity Hanma not thrown a statement that it's all or nothing I'm not a very annoying cparte spend 60 dollars for me to come and **** my ps3 does not think that's very fair

My PS3 starting doing this last night. Basically it would crash after a few matches have been played. It crashes right at the point of the final score table. The PS3 (Fat not Slim) completely locks up and I have to turn it off and on again from the back. I dont know if this is a sign of it going as I had the same problem with my last PS3, that time playing MW2. That crashed several times before finally breaking it. I really dont wish to be buying a third PS3. Just seems too much of a coincidence that another MW game is involved.

I am having the same issue, MW3 either freeze's or gives me a message while getting booted out in the middle of game to get a "disc read error" message. What are these people gonna do? Mayb I should trade my sony gear and get xbox? MW3 is a good game but fix the dang issues on it, to complete game fully and functionally. getting angry cuz there are no solutions and no response.

I am having the same issue, MW3 either freeze's or gives me a message while getting booted out in the middle of game to get a "disc read error" message. What are these people gonna do? Mayb I should trade my sony gear and get xbox? MW3 is a good game but fix the dang issues on it, to complete game fully and functionally. getting angry cuz there are no solutions and no response.

the truth that I am very upset that pay for this game MW3 is $ 60 if I live in Honduras send it to bring a little cousin was here qeu grabs in my country.
    I can not change the game for q I am in another country and I'm with that debt as saven a PS3 game worth 90 dollars in my country it costs
    send him to bring to my surprise the game is bad and now I can only see and nothing else that simple and moderators of the forum or the developers have not said anything to solve the problem

I regret to inform you, Mods, however in my point of view if Activision knew about the issue, it should be announced that playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 in PS3 consoles could have an issue. Then i would not be complaining here.

I already tried Online Suppor aswell.

Guess what?
    Haha, the guy said it was PS3 issue and not MW3.
    Isnt it strange that JUST WHEN I PLAY MW3 MY PS3 TURNS OFF?
    Im waiting for a reply

Thanks in advance

Whoever knows how to fix this issue please tell us. It is really impossible to play MW3 now. I cant complete a match without my PS3 turning off.

Im really upset with this game, MW2 didnt have any issue for me and thats why i bought MW3. I was going to buy ELITE premium pack, now im sure i wont buy it. Because MW3 Mods do not give attention when people need it. Id love to rate this game, starting with the forum support

Yea, support told me too that it sounded like a ps3 console issue, Hmm...and yet my other games play fine. I think I'm switching to xbox in the near future. There really isn't any way to fix, I've tried errything that activision has for solutions but none work. Its prolly just business, tryin to make more money by buggin a couple thousand copies of MW3 and allowing MW3 to crash game consoles, so us gamers can spend another couple hundred for a new console to get same problems months down the road. GREEDY MOFO's. At least my ps3 is still covered under factory warranty as well as MW3 is covered under warranty. Always get the warranty for SONY's Crap. Again thanks for replying gamers, No thanks for activision and support, You're a joke if you don't see this happening to other gamers that support your product.

Tutorial of how to fix temporally this issue!

Once it returns, you will need to do all steps below again.
    PS: I did on PS3, dont really know if it will fix XBOX consoles, however you still can try it.
    How to fix the issue

1. Need a USB
    2. Go to Game< Saved Data Utility(PS3tm) and find Call of Duty MW3 gamesaves
    3. Copy them to you USB and delete them from the PS3
    4. Now go to Game<Game Data Utility
    5. Find MW3 data utility (patch) and delete it
    6. Dont worry, you wont lose anything
    7. Launch MW3 and it should appear a patch update, update it,
    8. Now your free to play MW3 without any problems

PS: I discovered this and it actually worked. I already told support team and Chris said he will tell the Devs about the issue.Probably it was a corrupted data.
    Do this by your own, if you lose anything or if it doesnt fix the issue it isnt my fault.

Credits: Me

Please im just here to help, i think nobody will have any trouble doing the steps above. Assuming you will save your GameSaves on the USB you wont lose anything, so please do not post this isnt safe before trying it. Thanks in advance.

I've tried that already delete game data and it worked ok for bout a day or two, then started again "disc read error" and the freezing crap. Yet, it doesn't do anything when I play my other games, only MW3. WTF.

MW3 usd those are a great con sells games with errors in the record I am very upset that spend my money on a crappy game that has it bn usd mistake saven do nothing and the worst of fools that are made with this game error
      thank you very much for commenting MiBR and help with this problem
      Call of Duty game is crap

Well in my point of view this is a `noob` error that should be fixed soon. However the fact that any Activision or Mods/Devs gives us attention still pisses me. Thanks for everybody who is posting here. Doing the TUTORIAL above is a temporary fix.
        Remember: Every post is a help, that means, every post will UP this discussion in order to Activision see it and give us a response.

Ya, I think I'm just gonna send my ps3 back to sony have it refurbed ( still under factory warranty) and I bought the game with protection plan, so I will either exchange for bf3 or get a new copy of mw3, If I still have problems with the game and system when I get it back.. I am going to send my copy of mw3 to a Game designer and programmer to verify anything strange with Activision's game. Theres no reason why the game should be giving other gamers same issue?

Mayb becuz sony losing business and need to get more money by destructing game consoles hoping we buy a new one? NAh. the world isn't that greedy

you made me laugh lol!
            Well in reality i think it is just a bug Activision didnt test. Or maybe she knew but will fix it further however as im saying in every post. We are waiting for a reply. Is it so difficult to give us a formal response? A formal support?

• Re: [DEVS/MODS] Why does MW3 turns off my PS3?

Has anyone found a solution to the fat-PS3 crashing issue? Confirmed that reinstalling game data and save data does not work (multiple fails). Was only able to get to the midway point of the campaign before I gave up, as it keeps crashing at the same point during 'Bag and Drag'. My machine has now shut down 5 times due to this. Has never happened before, and I can attest to at least 1500 hours of gametime in over 50 games, including games that supposedly test the graphical/processing limit of the system. Not willing to risk any damage to my machine. Will try other games later and pray that it is just exclusive to MW3.

Activision and IW have really dropped the ball on this, claiming that they stress-test their games. Apparently, the fat PS3 (owned by millions of gamers) is not used in these tests. I will definitely think twice before I even consider another one of their games, though I am a fan of CoD4:MW, MW2, CoD:BO, and CoD:W@W. No more first-day buys for me..

I have tried tweeting the respective devs, etc., to no real avail thus far. If you are interested in their Twitter accounts to keep inquiring about this issue, let me know.

Let's keep this thread active till there is some sort of redemption.

Maybe the fan is working too hard to keep the system cool. Try using a vaccuum and cleaning it up. You may need a new system.

Im having this exact problem at the end of a survival match. Im using a new 120GB SLIM! console and it just suddenly powers off and wont power back on untill it has been unplugged and plugged back in. it is becoming very fustrating and i wish that it worked on all PS3's i changed to a slim console because they are "suppose" to be less problematic but ive had more problems with it! and CSx121 my console seems slightly warm ive had it running hotter before and it has been fine.

When troubleshooting console issues, there are 3 variables that could be causing the actual issue. The game disc, the game data, and the console are the 3 variables.

1. Make sure to delete all game data for the game and let it redownload any patches that it requires:

A. Navigate to Game Data Utilities

B. Highlight your Modern Warfare 3 game data.

C. Press Triangle, select delete.

Tutorial on how to restore the file system

1. Start with having the system in standby (redlight is on)

2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.

3. Press and hold the power button again and keep holding, it will beep as it turns on and then it will double beep. When you hear the double beeps immediately take your finger off the power button (if your system turns off before you get a double beep just try again and hold the button, it should double beep the 2nd time you try)

4. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button

You will now have a screen with these options :

1. Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.

2. Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.

CHOOSE THIS ONE 3.Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.

4. Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.

5. Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.

6. System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHOOSE THE WRONG OPTION HERE OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA.

2. Test your disc on another console. If the disc works fine on another console, the issue is not the disc. If you find that the game freezes on another Playstation 3 in the same fasion, we can begin to process a warranty disc replacement if the disc is within the 90 day warranty period and there is no damage on the disc. Please keep in mind, we test and inspect your game disc when we receive it. If we receive the disc with damage or it is no longer within warranty, we will require a 20 dollar replacement fee for the disc.

3. If the previous steps did not resolve your issue, there may be a problem with the hardware within your console and you might want to contact Sony for further support. Please keep in mind, while other games work, that does not mean that the hardware is functioning properly:

http://us.playstation.com/support/?s=ps3#ps3x

1-800-345-SONY (1-800-345-7669)

jasonr15

I think the latest MW3 update for the PS3 fixed the issue for the "PHAT" PlayStation.

jasonr15

I think the latest MW3 update for the PS3 fixed the issue for the "PHAT" PlayStation.

jasonr15

Playstation is still turning off while playing MW3 multiplayer