24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2011 5:25 AM by JEadz RSS

Inconsistency of Shotguns. <Video>

I as other have noticed that the 3 Pump and 1 Lever action aswell as the AA-12 are pretty worthless due to haveing to shoot someone 2-3 times to actually get a Kill.  The striker need a knock down due to it's range and being semi-auto.  Anywas after spending a good hour running around with a Spaz and getting extremely aggrivated, I decided to make a side by side comparison video for each of the shotguns.  None of them have attachs/Profs on them, and are treated as level 1 shotguns.

• Re: Inconsistency of Shotguns. <Video>
    asianman12

So it is true!  It makes no sense that the pumps would be less effective when you aim.  Why give us sight attachments? 

Because by their logic, every Primary in the game should have something to ADS through other than an Iron Sight, hence why they didn'tput anything attachment wise on the model, because it was that crappy little green half circle to stare down when you ADS.  Which is and always has bene Pointless.

You were looking for "too," not "to" in the video

flameweilder8

I agree.

The striker should get a slight buff while the rest are buffed.

Preferably the AA-12 gets a 2 hit kill with it's range increased by half.

the AA-12 is so useless at the moment and it's too much of a pain to get the increased range/damage when the gun sucks soo much.

Brick2urFace

I am assuming you meant to say the striker needs a slight nerf.  A good balanced nerf for the striker is to make the the 9 pellets come on an attachment called "magnum ammo" So you cant have a really huge clip and a powerfull shotgun.  You can either take extended mags (so you can spam like a douche) or take mag ammo and get reliable kills like it is now.  And then give the striker a little more recoil.  This makes people choose their shots and not just spam rounds till they get the kill.  The striker is just the 1014 from mw2 with a larger clip.  Giving it more recoil and having to choose between 9 pellets or extended mags would be an effective nerf for the striker.  The spas needs more damage at range. 35-20 damage per pellet with the damage proficiency firing 12 pellets.  The 1887 should do 50-25 damage with damage proficiency firing 8 pellets, with the damage drop starting earlier than the spas like it currently has and the 1887 should have a slightly smaller spread than the spas without steady aim, The ksg should do 50-20 firing 9 pellets to make up for less range and rate of fire than spas and 1887.

Agreed.
        Though the KSG should do around 55-65 top, to 35-40 damage. It does have the highest damage (supposedly) of the shotguns.
        It shouldn't have the accuracy of the Spas, but should make up for that in the sheer leathality at closer ranges. (less rectile on target for a kill at close range than a Spas or model would need)

What's with these kids thinking the striker needs a buff?

Brick2urFace

remember the damage drop for the ksg is at 400 units like the spas so with it being a linear drop off 65 damage would give you a two pellet kill out to like 525 inches.  The mw2 spas with stopping power had a damage drop at 500 inches so 65 damage up close is a little much.  Having a 2 pellet kill within 400 inches would be fine and balanced so 50 damage per pellet close to 25 long firing 9 pellets should work.  With steady aim and a good shot one hit kills should happen about half the time at max range.  Remeber at 600 inches (max ksg range) the target isn't going to be as small in your sights as the spas or 1887 so getting 4 pellets on a guy shouldn't be a problem.  The ksg I am suggesting would be a one shot machine in skilled hands, but its lower range and rate of fire would balance it out nicely.

flameweilder8

Brick2urFace wrote:

I am assuming you meant to say the striker needs a slight nerf.  A good balanced nerf for the striker is to make the the 9 pellets come on an attachment called "magnum ammo" So you cant have a really huge clip and a powerfull shotgun.  You can either take extended mags (so you can spam like a douche) or take mag ammo and get reliable kills like it is now.  And then give the striker a little more recoil.  This makes people choose their shots and not just spam rounds till they get the kill.  The striker is just the 1014 from mw2 with a larger clip.  Giving it more recoil and having to choose between 9 pellets or extended mags would be an effective nerf for the striker.  The spas needs more damage at range. 35-20 damage per pellet with the damage proficiency firing 12 pellets.  The 1887 should do 50-25 damage with damage proficiency firing 8 pellets, with the damage drop starting earlier than the spas like it currently has and the 1887 should have a slightly smaller spread than the spas without steady aim, The ksg should do 50-20 firing 9 pellets to make up for less range and rate of fire than spas and 1887.

no, i'm fine with the striker getting buffed again.

I don't understand why you guys are ******* when it comes to guns that work and get all butthurt about your KDRs.

Especially with the people who do good.

They make like 7 kills at a time and then curse you out, spit racial slurs, etc, when you kill them.

Brick2urFace

Right now the striker is a 1014 from mw2 without stopping poer bit has a bigger clip and less recoil.  I would be fine if they kept it as is but everyone is complaining about it so if they have to nerf it just taking away extended mags and making 9 pellets either an attachment or standard and giving it more recoil would still make it just as effective in skilled hands as it is now.  only noobs would suffer because of the nerf.

I think the pump actions definitely need a little help. Emphasis on a little.  i was in a game today on mission and literally could walk no further to the person capturing B when i shot them with the KSG, and received a hitmarker (he was crouched unmoving).  Regardless of the fact said target turned and stabbed me, I think its a little ridiculous at that range.

They need to buff the shotguns especially the pump actions. They can nerf the striker but they should only nerf the range.

It seems like the Striker performs better at medium range than it does close range... sometimes it takes 3-6 hitmarkers close range when it only takes 1-2 medium range.

mickilla

This video should very clearly show that the lag and hit detection flaws are the biggest problems here, not necessarily the damage of the shotguns themselves. I'd say the real reason you see the Striker so often is because it can spray. If hit detection ruins your first shot, who cares, you can spam two more before the guy has enough time to turn around.

That said, a good safeguard to be sure that the slow-firing shotguns keep proper lethality up close would be to have each pellet deal much higher damage only within a very close distance before it quickly tapers down to the usual amounts. As a precedent, look at MW2's Ranger. Each of its pellets dealt 75 damage apiece. At point-blank, just one shot could deal 450 damage.

Supposing that the KSG, SPAS, and M1887 had pellets that strong within 10 feet, and then had the damage fall down to whatever it is currently at any distance further than 10 feet, it would help solve these inexplicable hitmarkers.

JEadz

absolutley spot on.

the trouble especially with lever-action and pump action shotguns, is that even if it seems you get a point blank shot to the chest, if your latency is ever so slightly off they may have moved to the left or right a touch so the hit is detected partially on their arms, you will get a hit marker. The dmg profficiency helps with this somewhat but does not eliminate it entirely.

I think all shotguns should be a 1 shot kill and very close range even if it is on the arms or legs (maybe not the feet )

its a shame really, cause shotties are fun to use, I rock with the model on almost every map only inter-change and village are the maps i will never use a shotgun on, on t/dm anyway.

Brick2urFace

You were not at max range with the spas.  A base spas with no proficiencies or attachments only does 40 damage at max range if everything hits (which won't happen at max range anyway.)  So there was still some range on the spas.  You were using steady aim in your video, when you ads using a shotgun you get the same spread as if you were hip firing without steady aim thats why they seemed less powerfull because the spread was larger and the target was far enough away for those pellets to miss him.  That is a dumb feature and should be removed from the game.  I think they should make ads tighten the shot spread like it did before in mw2.