20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2011 12:35 PM by GhostXVII RSS

Well xmas has been and gone and figures still way down!

The norm pre xmas was around 8`000 max at any one time. The last few days when ive been on/off has been around the 10`000-11`000 mark , so a growth of maybe 3`000 and this is primetime given school hols etc, that`ll drop to 6`000/7`000 when the hols are over I reckon. Black Ops last year, I dont know about pre-xmas, but from xmas onwards has upwards of 28`000 playing during primetime, 22`000 when people had school/work. Im not sure what Black Ops is at the mo coz I dont have a disc, but it was 18`000 on a quiet thursday night about 3 weeks ago....

IMVHO ,im playing MW3 to level up, thats whats keeping me playing. But once ive got to 10th prestige (currently 8th, level 67), there`ll be nothing in this game for me to want to come back and play it, apart from damm good allies, and i`ll probably go back to BO and start again. The figures kind of back up my feeling. Im not hating on MW3, the game has actually grown on me. It just feels very same same every game, maps all very similair, and cluttered, and luck plays a big part. Its made big improvements on BO in many aspects, but the playability/longevity, is sadly not one of them.

Any thoughts guys?

• Re: Well xmas has been and gone and figures still way down!

You could reset your stats with a token when you get to tenth prestige.

I've never understood the reset stats thing till one of my friends ran into a mod lobby and ended up being 10th. He then clicked that and went back to lvl 1. He lost everything, it was just like starting multiplayer again for the first time cause you have nothing, including titles and emblems. Your friends list stays intact though. I don't see the purpose of clicking it if you work your way up to 10th only to restart to do it over... kind of pointless and a waste of time.

I have to agree about the volume of players that are online at any one time.  I did not see the big Christmas influx of players that I have seen in years past.  Now this is only what I have experienced, and I can't definitively say that overall there are less players, but I am not seeing them.

I will also say that when I logged on Christmas night hoping to see many players who had only been playing for a couple of hours, all I ran into were people who obvioulsy had been playing since Midnight Nov 8th. 

I have just not seen the elusive MW3 Christmas Noob.

The highest I've seen so far is over 16k. With last night the total online hiting around 8-9k around midnight.

padiego

Before XMAS, black ops had around 10k+ people online average. After XMAS, i saw it grow up to 40k at times. I'm guessing most people decided not to waste their money on the worst disappointment of the century.

There are noobs, and lots of um, ive seen plenty in almost every lobby I go in, BUT the figures arent up that much. I cant be very accurate as im in the uk so its early morning in the states when ive been on. Ive stayed up very late twice recently, once before xmas, and last night. ALL my allies were online almost, both times, there US based in the main, so its good gaming time in their timezone obviously, and the figures increased by 3`000 post xmas.

Im guessing the bad press has seen it shot down in flames. Maybe people now want something new? I dont know the current sales figures but I believe it was 70k sold on release week, and there were only 8`000 online.

I doubt id still play after prestiging, even with new maps, coz IW appear to want plenty small in your face maps, so theyd be same/same. BO mixed it up with big maps/medium/small, daytime/nightime maps.

Its the same prob year after year in that they fix the probs of the previous cod, but in doing so create something else thats wrong. Maybe people are just bored?

padiego wrote:

Before XMAS, black ops had around 10k+ people online average. After XMAS, i saw it grow up to 40k at times. I'm guessing most people decided not to waste their money on the worst disappointment of the century.

Tiz true. The game is broken and no where near as good as black ops. Go back to black ops for 1 night and you'll see the difference straight away.

-.xSkiTTeLs.x

I saw it go up to 17000ish and still rising. Give it like a month and it will be around 18000+.

Goodtwin

The game isnt selling as well as BO did, thats pretty much the reason why.  I also think alot of people who got the game for christmas are probably playing the single player game first, and will become online regulars in the coming weeks.  I believe BO had sold over 400k by the time Christmas came, and MW3 is only around 300K.  I have been on with as many as 15k players, and I am not pulling host nearly as often now.  I expect the online community for this game to hover between 12-18k most days.  So many gamers have moved on from Wii this year.  It really doesnt matter to me, its not like I am having trouble finding matches, so I could care less if there was 150k vs 15k online.  Still needs some patch work though,, Akimbo FMG's are still nuts. 

I thought MW3 wasn't an upset at all. as i said in my original respoce, it's just the COD copy paste template is changeing less on wii then other consoles. Thus making it so we're playing pretty much the same thing year after year.

Well there are 3 main reasons for this :

1) Peoples' wii broke and instead of fixing it, they went to buy a PS360.

2) Getting a PS360 for christmas

3) Wii's last year before WiiU

And with the wii u coming out PS3's are a sh!t load cheaper right now, and over here in the uk you can pick up an 80gb PS on ebay for around the same price of a new wii. Still not my choice as I play with a great bunch of people in my clan, but like I said, as far as cod titles go, MW3 is no where near as good as black ops, yet....

Revisback wrote:

Well there are 3 main reasons for this :

1) Peoples' wii broke and instead of fixing it, they went to buy a PS360.

2) Getting a PS360 for christmas

3) Wii's last year before WiiU

I have a PS3 myself but the online community is crap and the hit detection sucks if the host is from Antartica . 1 bar connection here = 3 bar connection there. Also note that only good games there are Assassins Creed, Killzone and Uncharted. BF3 is crap on consoles and only good for PCs.

The Wii community is more awesome with its matureness but are commonly misjudged as 9 year olds who dont have enough money

I've noticed that about the connection on the Xbox too. 3 bars and I'm already lag jumping around the place .

Actually, there are a lot of kids playing the Wii, they just don't post on these forums. And I've seen newcomers to these forums mercilessly trolled (really well too, very funny people here ), if that's the maturity you're talking about. I think it seems like we have less immature people in the Wii community because the playerbase is smaller than the PS360's, however with the same proportion of immature/mature players.

the sad fact is,MW3 improoved in every way possible over black ops. it's just that the call of duty copy paste template as it's called has just died out on wii first than other consoles. Most of the new exciting things that are on PS360, and PC arn't in the wii version. and the face that BOPS showed the true limit of the wii as a console. it broke so many caused so many problems, that BOPS is the physical limit that the wii can handle. Sadly, I beleive the WiiU will be to late, and all the wii gamers will just switch to PS360 or PC because they know nintendo can't catch up to sony and microsoft and are tired of playing games lacking features, graphics, and other services such as COD elite, and actual "gamertag or PSN ID". now even if the WiiU encorperates these features, they will only be playig catch up and wil be behind Sony and Microsoft. Sadly, for call of duty on the wii, WaW, Reflex, and BOPS were the highlight, it will only go downhill from there. sorry for the long responce but there was a lot to cover in a short period of time.

-xiReVoLTx

Youtube Commentator / Montage Maker for the Wii Community

xiReVoLTx wrote:

BOPS showed the true limit of the wii as a console. it broke so many caused so many problems, that BOPS is the physical limit that the wii can handle.

I don't believe this to be true at all. The main problem with breakages was the disk reader. My wii broke playing reflex, and it was just over a year old. Wii's, just like most other stuff, are mass produced, and only out of so many wii's will you get 2 the same. 1 wii out of say, 1000, could have a fault, and games with alot of content are going to break these faulty wii's. People just assume that it was the game that broke their wii. Since my wii was repaired, it has seen many more hours of reflex, the whole of black ops and so far several days of play with MW3 without a single glitch, and I haven't included all the hours of game play my son has put in too. Black ops breaking wii's is a myth.

GhostXVII

It's mostly because most people upgraded to PS360.