1 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next 276 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2012 8:02 AM by nflfenatic Go to original post RSS
  • 170. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back

Whats so special about Black ops and MW3 that you send people on a goose chase to try to get rid of the second long syncing issue by giving them placebo.

Theres a reason MW3 and Black ops have the second delay and its got nothing to do with router settings, everyother game that has come before runs fine .

• 171. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back
    maccabi

chroniccritic wrote:

Whats so special about Black ops and MW3 that you send people on a goose chase to try to get rid of the second long syncing issue by giving them placebo.

Theres a reason MW3 and Black ops have the second delay and its got nothing to do with router settings, everyother game that has come before runs fine .

whats the point of comming into a post about optimizing your xbox connection to rant about the issues you're having in a game? .... seriously you couldnt find one to post on???? im sure if you looked you could.

tell you what when i make a post saying "fix your ingame issues" ill holler till then zippy mouth gesture

• 172. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    otisman666

otisman666 wrote:

Macc,

So after my last question, I went to go see if I have my ports correctly forwarded.  While I have the basic Xbox stuff done, I don't have the MW3 stuff.  When I see your chart it lists UDP (and TCP) "Start 27000 End 27050".  What does that mean?  I don't recall seeing an option to start and stop ports.  Do I need to forward 50 ports?  I think the 33233 is pretty self explanitory.

Hey, if you get a second, I would love some help on this one.  I am attempting to set this up, but I am a bit lost.  Thanks dude.

• 173. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    trialstardragon

I will give that a try and see where it leads. Still trying to figure out if my mtu is the right size though. Having problems with the ping command you listed. when pinging google. it comes back as every packet fails. So I can not tell if mtu is correct size or not at the router.

I have dsl so its pppoe. with 1492 used it says packet need to be fragmented. dropped it to 1482 got the same message. dropped it to 1472 and the ping requests time out, 100% loss. So I am not sure what to do about that or if there really is anything at this point that can be done about the mtu setting.

Message was edited by: trialstardragon

• 174. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    maccabi

otisman666 wrote:

otisman666 wrote:

Macc,

So after my last question, I went to go see if I have my ports correctly forwarded.  While I have the basic Xbox stuff done, I don't have the MW3 stuff.  When I see your chart it lists UDP (and TCP) "Start 27000 End 27050".  What does that mean?  I don't recall seeing an option to start and stop ports.  Do I need to forward 50 ports?  I think the 33233 is pretty self explanitory.

Hey, if you get a second, I would love some help on this one.  I am attempting to set this up, but I am a bit lost.  Thanks dude.

yeah erm rather sheepish reply but might be best to ignore my last port update I accidentally got my ports mixed up on my lists and put the pc ports in my xbox lists and updated this thread with the same info ..

im a doofus my bad shoot me sorry if i wasted anyones time and savour this moment you members of the CBG its not often i make a mistake

• 175. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    maccabi

trialstardragon wrote:

I will give that a try and see where it leads. Still trying to figure out if my mtu is the right size though. Having problems with the ping command you listed. when pinging google. it comes back as every packet fails. So I can not tell if mtu is correct size or not at the router.

I have dsl so its pppoe. with 1492 used it says packet need to be defragmented. dropped it to 1482 got the same message. dropped it to 1472 and the ping requests time out, 100% loss. So I am not sure what to do about that or if there really is anything at this point that can be done about the mtu setting.

Message was edited by: trialstardragon

grrr i was halfway to reply and you went and editted your post

you're on wireless right?

that doesnt sound good if your getting a ping time out regardless of your mtu settings ect, try a few different web addresses (urls) see if that makes any difference

• 176. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    otisman666

maccabi wrote:

otisman666 wrote:

otisman666 wrote:

Macc,

yeah erm rather sheepish reply but might be best to ignore my last port update I accidentally got my ports mixed up on my lists and put the pc ports in my xbox lists and updated this thread with the same info ..

im a doofus my bad shoot me sorry if i wasted anyones time and savour this moment you members of the CBG its not often i make a mistake

Well you know I still have a man-crush on you.  Cool though, thanks for the heads up.

• 177. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)

MTU: The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is a parameter that determines the largest packet size (in bytes) that the router will send to the WAN. If LAN devices send larger packets, the router will break them into smaller packets. Ideally, you should set this to match the MTU of the connection to your ISP. Typical values are 1500 bytes for an Ethernet connection and 1492 bytes for a PPPoE connection. If the router's MTU is set too high, packets will be fragmented downstream. If the router's MTU is set too low, the router will fragment packets unnecessarily and in extreme cases may be unable to establish some connections. In either case, network performance can suffer.

It's not incorrect that a smaller MTU size will decrease latency. However, for MW3, you would need to know the byte size the game is using. I game on PS3 and we are allowed to change our MTU down to 576. To figure out the size MW3 uses I had to find the minimum value to where MW3 would work. On PS3 that was a value of 1308.

I am guessing the reason XBL won't let you use less than 1364 is because setting the MTU size lower than what the game uses will increase latency and add overhead making things crappy.

I use 1450 and have noticed a lot less lag, probably because 1500 was bottlenecking my connection.

• 178. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    maccabi

dexter1992 wrote:

MTU: The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is a parameter that determines the largest packet size (in bytes) that the router will send to the WAN. If LAN devices send larger packets, the router will break them into smaller packets. Ideally, you should set this to match the MTU of the connection to your ISP. Typical values are 1500 bytes for an Ethernet connection and 1492 bytes for a PPPoE connection. If the router's MTU is set too high, packets will be fragmented downstream. If the router's MTU is set too low, the router will fragment packets unnecessarily and in extreme cases may be unable to establish some connections. In either case, network performance can suffer.

It's not incorrect that a smaller MTU size will decrease latency. However, for MW3, you would need to know the byte size the game is using. I game on PS3 and we are allowed to change our MTU down to 576. To figure out the size MW3 uses I had to find the minimum value to where MW3 would work. On PS3 that was a value of 1308.

I am guessing the reason XBL won't let you use less than 1364 is because setting the MTU size lower than what the game uses will increase latency and add overhead making things crappy.

I use 1450 and have noticed a lot less lag, probably because 1500 was bottlenecking my connection.

i think we had this discussion before cant remember if it was you or not but the xbl mtu is set by what services xbl uses not the games, ie their own chat , streaming ect services are deisgned and ruled to third parties that they must meet a certian set minimum. microsoft impose really dumb assed restrictions on xbl.

as i said before im not comfortable disussing ps3 specific things as im way out of my comfort zone on that platform.

• 179. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)

Well I like how microsft imposes that mtu limit, it shouldn't be lower than 1364 anyway it would only result in more issues. I think Sony should do the same.

What I want to know is if the router will only send out the amount of bytes a LAN client is requesting even tho the router's MTU is higher.

What haapens if a client has an MTU value less than the Router's setting?

Lets say my PS3/360 is set at 1364. My router is set at 1500, and my ISP's network/backhaul is 1500. What happens to the 136 bytes the router sends that the client(PS3) dosen't need. Do they just get dropped or is thre router smart enough to only send 1364 isntead of 1500 even thoguh it's set to 1500.

1 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next