1 17 18 19 20 21 Previous Next 276 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2012 8:02 AM by nflfenatic Go to original post RSS
  • 180. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    esmorgue

I found those servers for PS3. Good look for the link in here. My secondary happened to be the choice given by that site you linked me to. So I just made it my Primary and the PS3 chosen primary, the secondary.

• 181. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    trialstardragon

At 1492 it says needs to be fragmented, at 1482 says needs to be fragmented, at 1472 all four sent packets fail. it returns a 100% loss. Now I have not actually set it and that to see if I can reach a site yet though. Sort of cautious about doing that.

Currently trying to reslove random xbox live disconnects while in a game. And before anyone comes and and says, "stop signing out", when they occur I did not sign out.

My nat is moderate too even though I have the ports opened in qos. my router does not have a port forward page, just the firewall and qos page. netgear dgn2200 with latest firmware. It removed the port foward page.

Setting up firewall rules is not something I am to familiar with on the router. Since its not quite the same as doing it on the pc itself.

• 182. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    maccabi

check back tomorrow ill have a gander at the manual for your router and see if i can suggest anything ..

• 183. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)

esmorgue I believe you are talking about DNS. Changing DNS will have not affect online gaming. Once the lookup has found the server you are connected.

OpenDNS is the best anyway if you were to use a different DNS. They have a system that has a database of domains and when you use opendns your connection doesn't have to go through the same process as using a normal DNS. OpenDNS makes it so the connection does not have to lookup and you can start downloading the information right away. Which improves lookup times.

You have to be carfull though, some ISP's redirect packets coming from a different DNS rather than their own "Forced" DNS. They use packet hijacking. To make sure OpenDNS fully works it must be in the router, and DHCP will automatically provide the OpenDNS addresses you entered statically in the router via a 192.168.x.x adress for DNS. Unless you have DNS Relay disabled. So no need to change the DNS in the PS3.

To make sure it actually is working http://www.opendns.com/welcome/oops/ this link will tell you.

If you can't get it to work then your ISP may be hijacking and redirecting the packets back to their forced DNS address. You may need to call your ISP.

• 184. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    maccabi

dexter while I have no problems with you adding your input, one thing i have tried to do in this thread and its previous incarnation is give accurate advice, you don't please dont post stuff that is factually incorrect ie you misunderstood when you read it off the internet. as it just confuses people.

dexter1992 wrote:

esmorgue I believe you are talking about DNS. Changing DNS will have not affect online gaming. Once the lookup has found the server you are connected.

Wrong, wrong and erm wrong... changing the dns DOES have a postive effect it lowers your latency, first off if you did as most people did and wrongly assume a xbox is a plug in and away you go device you will be running with the default dns the xbox assigns which is your router/modem which is NOT a dns server, it will take the dns request and send it to the next hop in the chain usually your isp which will then field the packet out to yet another tier3 dns server to find out where its supposed to go. That adds hops to your packets route and increaes latency (ping)

i think your problem is a failure to understand the basics of game traffic which is why you wrote...

dexter1992 wrote:

OpenDNS is the best anyway if you were to use a different DNS. They have a system that has a database of domains and when you use opendns your connection doesn't have to go through the same process as using a normal DNS. OpenDNS makes it so the connection does not have to lookup and you can start downloading the information right away. Which improves lookup times.

You have to be carfull though, some ISP's redirect packets coming from a different DNS rather than their own "Forced" DNS. They use packet hijacking. To make sure OpenDNS fully works it must be in the router, and DHCP will automatically provide the OpenDNS addresses you entered statically in the router via a 192.168.x.x adress for DNS. Unless you have DNS Relay disabled. So no need to change the DNS in the PS3.

To make sure it actually is working http://www.opendns.com/welcome/oops/ this link will tell you.

If you can't get it to work then your ISP may be hijacking and redirecting the packets back to their forced DNS address. You may need to call your ISP.

where the hell are you getting this info from? bejus dude seriously?

half the stuff you are talking about looks like you just copy and pasted it from a paid for article for opendns and most of it deals with websites NOT gaming traffic .

i cant even be bothered to correct the multitude of mistakes in that last piece ,

while some people might find opendns to be a stable dns server to use it is in no way the best , in fact the only real benefit for using it if you happen to be an xbox user is you can use their service to block those flipping adverts that we now get since the last dashboard update, although depending on your router you can easily do that in the routers settings.

with all due respect if your going to start "contributing" to this thread please bear in mind two things one its for xbox not ps3 and please dont start answering people giving advice and infomation thats is wrong or you dont know 100% is correct.

• 185. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    Nubdub

Dexter1992, thank you for your information on opendns.org. Changing my dns server to opendns fixed all of my issues.

• 186. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    maccabi

Nubdub wrote:

Dexter1992, thank you for your information on opendns.org. Changing my dns server to opendns fixed all of my issues.

great guess that means i was right after all and you wont need to spit the dummy any more on posts, seeing as how you fixed all your issues by altering your network..

oh wait my bad this was yet another failed pitiful attempt at trolling which has yet again made you look like a complete fool.

• 187. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)

maccabi I know from experience. Maybe you should head over to DSLReports.

I game using Sprint 3G. Sprint if you don't know runs a blind proxy so they just re-grab the packets if I use OpenDNS over their automatically assigned addresses.

And I will provide proof as it seems I have to be the that guy when it comes to you.

www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

The link is a nameserver spoofability test(Test Button on Bottom). When I statically enter OpenDNS's addresses, my router says that's what I am using but infact they are not actually being used. The spoofabilty test says that I am using my ISP's addresses of 68.28.138.132,  68.28. 137.132 when I am using OpenDNS or as I thought i was. Luckily my MBR-1000 router has OpenDNS ISP Filter Bypass Algorithm, Some ISPs filter OpenDNS requests and redirect them to different DNS servers. Enabling this will attempt to bypass those filters when using an OpenDNS Content Filtering Level.

So I can actually use OpenDNS with Sprint. So was my last post wrong? No, you just didn't have such knowledge. Also, OpenDNS does speed up lookup times, surpized you don't know that either. Subscribing to some current tech magzines websites or soemthing can fix that.

It's real and fact on that matter. And what's odd is that you think DNS helps latency. Maybe on the lookup but after that, DNS doesn't even come into play. Unless you actually can see every route and hop when using your 360 then basically you have no proof. I actually found it surprizing you didn't even know some iSP's run blind proxy's, and it appears you have been corrected.

And in regards to your 360 vs PS3 ramble, I was replying to esmorgue who plays on PS3 and said nothing about 360. So I don't understand the reasoning for even bringing that up. Starting to sound like a fanboy or something. And again it's funny that you constantly say I am wrong when not even saying what I am wrong about but just saying so.

When playing MW3 on 360/ PS3 whatever, unless the game is constantley looking up the DNS addresses when playing, then changing DNS will not help at all. For the most part DNS will help nothing but maybe speed up browsing a little and webpage lookups which is what the DNS is mainly for.

So no hate against you but you seem to just blow off anything you don't know, and well I have made mistakes in the past with the P2P stuff but I was 17, now I am taking networking courses and I am 19. So the person you knew before is no longer.

"where the hell are you getting this info from? bejus dude seriously? half the stuff you are talking about looks like you just copy and pasted it from a paid for article for opendns and most of it deals with websites NOT gaming traffic .   i cant even be bothered to correct the multitude of mistakes in that last piece ,

I see no mistakes, I see accurate information backed up by others and my own experience, even my router's help file explains it, and even has settings for such a thing when ISP's run blind proxy's. It seems the elephant has had too many peanuts.

• 188. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    trialstardragon

Well I tried setting up the rules finally on my own. Now to see if it made any difference. Still can not seem to change the mtu with out it showing a 100% fail on ping. So maybe this will help a little more. Thanks for the time and effort though Mac.

• 189. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 29th Dec)
    maccabi

dexter1992 wrote:

maccabi I know from experience. Maybe you should head over to DSLReports.

I game using Sprint 3G. Sprint if you don't know runs a blind proxy so they just re-grab the packets if I use OpenDNS over their automatically assigned addresses.

And I will provide proof as it seems I have to be the that guy when it comes to you.

www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

The link is a nameserver spoofability test(Test Button on Bottom). When I statically enter OpenDNS's addresses, my router says that's what I am using but infact they are not actually being used. The spoofabilty test says that I am using my ISP's addresses of 68.28.138.132,  68.28. 137.132 when I am using OpenDNS or as I thought i was. Luckily my MBR-1000 router has OpenDNS ISP Filter Bypass Algorithm, Some ISPs filter OpenDNS requests and redirect them to different DNS servers. Enabling this will attempt to bypass those filters when using an OpenDNS Content Filtering Level.

So I can actually use OpenDNS with Sprint. So was my last post wrong? No, you just didn't have such knowledge. Also, OpenDNS does speed up lookup times, surpized you don't know that either. Subscribing to some current tech magzines websites or soemthing can fix that.

and again you are talking about website ips/url and confusing the two,opendns uses a caching system to speed up website urls mome of that gumpf you posted above has any relavance. but erm wait so your saying opendns speeds up lookup times.. thats really wierd as that would mean using it would erm lower latency, and latency when your dealing with websites (again what your misguided failed retort to me was about) is the time it takes to load and use functions on a website.

dexter1992 wrote:

It's real and fact on that matter. And what's odd is that you think DNS helps latency. Maybe on the lookup but after that, DNS doesn't even come into play. Unless you actually can see every route and hop when using your 360 then basically you have no proof. I actually found it surprizing you didn't even know some iSP's run blind proxy's, and it appears you have been corrected.

I think we already established your talking out of the part of you use for sitting on,  you know making sarcastic replies telling me to read up on stuff would be advice you should use yourself and stop reading internet sites dealing with website lookups eh? you are obviously reading the wrong stuff, your whole pointless rant about hijacking again...deals with websites,   but then its ok dexter you have a proven track record of talking absolute cow poop and standing firmly by your infactual statements even when corrected by numerous people.

but hey its ok dude someone of your tiny knowledge wouldnt understand how UDP packets are sent (if it helps theres a really handy article on this very thread explaining how they are sent) , but heres the cliffnotes... every single packet you send needs dns to to find where to go, as you arent making a direct connection to a host when you play online cames such as cod. Know why on xbox at least you have to have port 53 open.. as thats the primary port used on the internet for dns and udp. slightly related as i said orginally in the elgaphant your console sets dns to your modem or router not your isps a tier3 dns server changing that alone WILL decrease latency (and im very clear in the post it wont make a huge difference).

as you obviously havent read the elagphant heres what i actually wrote.

"you may or may not find matchmaking is slightly faster and the game is slightly better, if you have a super best money can buy connection already you prolly wont notice that much if any of a difference but again, you have optimized the connection for xbox somewhat will knock a few ms off your usual ping"

but tell you what when i make a elagaphant thread about making websites work quicker you'll be the first person i will ask to help, till them might still be an idea to leave the actual game and networking stuff to the professionals so you dont confuse any more poor saps.

dexter1992 wrote:

And in regards to your 360 vs PS3 ramble, I was replying to esmorgue who plays on PS3 and said nothing about 360. So I don't understand the reasoning for even bringing that up. Starting to sound like a fanboy or something. And again it's funny that you constantly say I am wrong when not even saying what I am wrong about but just saying so.

ok you're wrong (again) and if you want a reason .. you know he plays on the xbox too right? pretty sure he does else i and others spent a good few hours yesterday playing with an imposter (want me to make another snide comment about checking your facts or we good on that point yet?)

dexter1992 wrote:

When playing MW3 on 360/ PS3 whatever, unless the game is constantley looking up the DNS addresses when playing, then changing DNS will not help at all. For the most part DNS will help nothing but maybe speed up browsing a little and webpage lookups which is what the DNS is mainly for.

so now your actually agreeing with me albeit only as you dont understand game traffic when its sent via udp #facepalm  in case you skipped this part eearly every single packet you send needs dns to arrive at the host as you DO NOT MAKE a direct connection to a host when playing, A game packet leaves your console/pc with nothing more than an ip address and a port number stuck to it and guess what it needs to use to find the hosts console/pc.. give you a clue its a three letter acronym that starts with D.

dexter1992 wrote:

So no hate against you but you seem to just blow off anything you don't know, and well I have made mistakes in the past with the P2P stuff but I was 17, now I am taking networking courses and I am 19. So the person you knew before is no longer.

"where the hell are you getting this info from? bejus dude seriously? half the stuff you are talking about looks like you just copy and pasted it from a paid for article for opendns and most of it deals with websites NOT gaming traffic .   i cant even be bothered to correct the multitude of mistakes in that last piece ,

I see no mistakes, I see accurate information backed up by others and my own experience, even my router's help file explains it, and even has settings for such a thing when ISP's run blind proxy's. It seems the elephant has had too many peanuts.

the reason you see no mistakes is you still have a blinkered view, but then it might be because you're now 19 and doing a basic networking course and discussing the issues with someone who holds the highest possible network certification possible and spent nearly 8 years in the game industry making mpogs. Basically sparky with your level of knowledge I wouldnt employ you as a teaboy for my team, actually thinking about it the guy we do have making the tea actually holds more qualifications and a better base of knowledge than you have anyways, 

1 17 18 19 20 21 Previous Next