46 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 6:08 PM by Mojammer RSS

Worst Map in the Game?

I've read plenty of threads discussing how bad the maps are in MW3 due to the lack of long sight lines and clutter everywhere.  They really aren't that bad IMO, there are several good maps, but one that is just awful, and that is DOWNTURN.

Yes, DOWNTURN, probably the worst COD map ever, I don't know about you guys but I hate this map.  How many cars/trucks are in this map?  Too damn many thats for sure.

What do you guys think?  What is your least favorite map in the game and why?

• Re: Worst Map in the Game?

Carbon. I really really hate this map. lol but I also think Interchange is a pretty bad map, i like it on S&D for some reason though. But I think the spawns are so bad on that map. I kinda like downturn.

triiviium-

OUTPOST.

Why, because everytime I play it its constant slow gameplay, non stop camping.

I agree with you about downturn.  The map itself doesn't seem like a bad map for some other FPS, but it just doesn't seem to fit in with the MW3 style of play that seems to exist.

I really hate all of the moving objects in the maps that aren't people though, that bugs the crap out of me. 

outpost is a great map!

downturn or downtown as i call it is def by far the worst map....horrible spawns and to much clutter and no easy way back to the flags in DOM

Fallen, interchange and Village are my favourite maps

avngr9

My least favorite used to be Carbon as well but now I actually enjoy it.  That said my least favorite at the moment is Outpost.  I play KC all the time and it seems like the gameplay is WAY slower on this map and I just can't seem to find people easily on this map.  It gets frustrating running around and not seeing a single soul only to get shot in the back by an unfortunate spawn or guy hiding in a corner.

Runners up: Lockdown & Seatown - Just have a hard time finding a rhythm on these.

I agree , Downtoutn is the worst map , everything is too far ... and my favorite map is mission

I agree , Downtoutn is the worst map , everything is too far

and my favorite map is mission

n3ckchoke

Downturn then Outpost and I'm sure IW knows it since they can track the voting.

avengedyesterday

Everyone always votes for outpost. It's hard to tell which map sucks more since they all pretty much play the same.

Dome and Arkaden are the worst. Dome might as well be a shoebox.  Neither of these maps can be navigated without getting shot or spam grenaded from someone.  There is just mayhem.   I still do well on them, but they are mindless maps.  Pretty much all of the maps get on my nerves as they do mostly play the same.  I think Treyarch is the company with better maps.

kholland65

Yep for sure. Downturn is jsut god aweful. I'm an avid and competative FPS player that has been playing FPS's almost since they first came out (CS, UT, QUAKE, Golden eye, etc.). Point is I've been around the block enough times to know a well designed game and map when I see it and vise versa. Downturn is just horrible. There is way to much clutter, no clear paths or sightlines, the flow its awefull. There is a reason I haven't played it in a week. I literally never gets voted for because everyone hates it.

avengedyesterday

Also most of the maps seem to have been designed for TDM only. Flag positions and spawn points in domination on some maps are very very unbalanced.

weed-cobolt

Downturn and outpost. Reason: Downturn is just boring and full of cars. Outpost could be better if the snow was removed.

Yeah I agree with everyone here Downturn can use some work. I really like Lockdown, Mission, and Village . I think they flow very well and have alot of different paths that let the teams spread out for better encounters.

bo2000

Worst map? You should ask about a good map. Well Bootleg and Seatown ain't that bad. Mission and Carbon easily are the worst.

I definitely DON'T want maps with long lines of sight. It promotes sniping and camping, and I'm not a fan of either. I do think the maps are a little cluttered though.

Worst maps in MW3 are Outpost, Carbon, Downturn, and Interchange.

avengedyesterday

F8TD4GLORY wrote:

I definitely DON'T want maps with long lines of sight. It promotes sniping and camping, and I'm not a fan of either. I do think the maps are a little cluttered though.

Worst maps in MW3 are Outpost, Carbon, Downturn, and Interchange.

Camping is going to happen either way. The problem is since the maps are so small and tight it's much harder to dislodge campers now than it ever has been. The bigger the area the more that camper has to watchout for making it much easier to flank. This tight narrow maps make it so if a team set's up shop on choke points, it takes forever to break through.

kholland65

I've just come to find that these maps require a completely different play style than most COD players are used to. You used to be able to hold down an area that would grant you a view of the majority or a key area of the map. Now you can't do that and have to constantly move. Basically I've found (while I'm not sure if I like this), that the key to success in this game is using the clutter and headglitching. Any time you walk down a hallway, move from cover to cover and always keep something in your line of sight that will block your body from the enemy when he turns the corner and tries to shoot you. Frankly it makes for cheap tactics but I just do what I gotta do to succeed based on what's put in front of me.

I also agree that the objective points in things like Dom aren't always in the best spots. The starting spawns on many maps as well or totally imbalanced and offer one team a huge advantage over the other. One map that comes to mind is fallen. On dom, one team spawns right behind B and has an equal length to A and C as the other team. Basically one team gets spawned at the tip of the triangle while another starts in the middle of one of the triangles sides. Not sure how that is fair.

Constantly moving is a good thing; makes the game more fun. Campers like to use the phrase "Holding down an area."

F8TD4GLORY wrote:

Constantly moving is a good thing; makes the game more fun. Campers like to use the phrase "Holding down an area."

Yeah let's all just run circles around the map back flagging eachother, let's not try to keep the flag/s we already have by remaining in that general area, lest we be labeled campers. You can run around like a chicken with your head cut off. I prefer to actually THINK tactically to win a match. That being said corner campers are whole different animal and I despise them.

SalemInChains

MISSION.

I play HC Dom %90 of the time and that map is an instant spawn camp fest.

Coming in 2nd place? Hardhat. yet another extreme spawn camp map.

Are these maps just designed poorly or is it the HORRIBLE spawn system we are forced to deal with again? Seriously IW, Its been what, 5 years since COD4 and you still cant figure out a decent spawn system? Really? That really says alot about a developer when they have 4+ years to fix an issue and arent even close to getting it right yet.

I don't care much for Downturn, Dome, or Interchange. I do think the main problem I have with Interchange and Downturn seems to be spawning issues.

Downturn and Dome hands down.

redwings17

Downturn

jwaller123

I have to agree with the majority. Downturn is the worst. I think its the colors that gets me on this map. It's all just different shades of grey.

fantasmo

Resistance, Downturn or Outpost.

Well, since in every CoD game since forever, Cars have always been the most infuriating cover to shoot people hiding behind. Half the time the bullets completely fail to go though the huge windows, and they have no penetration at all, while they can look though the tinest gaps in the doors and windows and shoot you without even showing themselves

Then cue interchange, a map made entirely of *******.. cars.

Lovely.

Pker

I rarely play Downturn, but when I do... I take an arrow to the knee.

xbevz

My least favourite has to be Arkadan, I never seem to do well on it at all, It's like I get dizzy playing it, so many places to look. I'll keep giving it a try though.

obzi

Downturn for me is the worst although right now I'm sick to death of playing TDM on Hardhat.  I don't dislike map, it's just that every flaming time it comes up as an option the votes seem to flood in and I end up playing it again and again.  Give me Mission any day.

Rich_J

I personally hate Downturn, and that is the only COD map ever I have hated (Zoo is a close second though from BO).

I like every other map though, outpost is alright. Not my favorite but I won't hate on it. I like the rest of the maps though. As weird as it sounds, my favorite map is Bootleg at the moment. Mainly because I have been playing a lot of HC S&D.

all the mw3 maps suck.Only good one so far is Blackbox and that's a dlc map

I kinda like downturn, though that could very well be the novelty of hardly ever playing it. I would say Interchange is my least favorite. So many corners O.o

peeter101

Overwatch I hate the fact if you move as you spawn you fall off the side. the sh*tist map ever

killerconfirmed

For me... i hate downturn...

love dome! why?

one word...chaos!

Mojammer

Wow, no one said Liberation yet.

For me there are 2 distinct sets of "bad" maps.  There are the ones I simply can't do well on (e.g. Bootleg) and there are the ones I don't enjoy playing, Liberation being the king of that category.  It's slow, the foliage makes everything seem blurry, it's slow, my KD is ok but not great, it's slow, and did I mention it's slow?