24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2012 2:24 PM by petainavis RSS

Camping and holding an area _ theres a difference

There are 2 types of campers:

1-"The Window Camper"- usually a kill wh0re who remains stationary in an advantagious postition. Usually a window but also rooftops,stairways,doorways and other hard to flank postions. This player typically does not care about the win but camps for kill streaks.

2-"The Corner Camper" - This is the guy that's scared of his own shadow. He takes the game waaay too seriously. Usually a kid too young to even be playing. He hides in a shadowy corner with all the stealth perks, a silencer and sometimes a heartbeat sensor waiting for a guy to run by to shoot in the back. They always end up going negative because they anger people to the point of making them search for them.(Exeptions to this are players hitting a corner to take a moment to heal, reload, use kill streak etc..)

And then there are people (like me) who typically hold an area. And I can only speak for myself and the guys I play with but our play style is this: (we play DOM mostly) take 2 flags then defend them by spreading out to easily defenced positions careful not to push the opponents spawn so we don't force them to spawn behind us. We are not hiding in corners or windows we are waiting for them to come to us. If they take a flag we with take it back. We want to WIN first and second, rack up kills. It's not camping it's sound strategy and it's fun when we are winning AND getting kills. And knowing you're not gonna get shot in the back is especially nice.

• Re: Camping and holding an area _ theres a difference
    gzowner1

Yep that what we do on DOM. Our clan is GFS and we mostly play DOM or CTF. and we do the same thing you just descibe. I no neg all the time, but i am doing it because i am defending and taking lead to be kill before the flager does. You just descibe campers real well there.. and those heart beats are call baby monitors now. They cant learn to listen, look at the map with out looking for red dots.. becaue there to chicken sh to even go look for kills.

Yeah, defending by spreading out and then not hiding in corners or windows but waiting for the enemy to come to you is still camping.  "Holding down an area" aka camping is mostly accepted in many of the objective game-types though, since it greatly improves your chances of winning. Don't get me wrong though, the corner and window campers are in a completely different league, but it's all still camping.

I swear to some of you guys if you're not running windsprints across the map then you're camping. I don't understand it. I believe the term has been distorted to include anyone who stops moving for a second. Soon you guys will include anyone who actually aims down sights and isn't hipfiring. "OMG that guys a camper! He actually took the time to aim!" It's really getting kinda rediculous.

What the OP described is a defensive playstyle. This is not necessarily camping, but rather a setup. Another equally experienced team can often break the setup with a well coordinated attack. The bad players often look to place blame on anyone and anything but themselves. They will use every negative term in the book to belittle the opposing team, despite the fact of his or her own inferiority. One of the quickest accusations from the said bad players is that your team was camping.

All in all, even professional teams use setups to control the flow of a map and cover flank routes. If they want to call it camping, so be it. It is simply a play of words and doesn't disregard the fact that your team has greater teamwork/coordination than their team.

the thing with campers is they think there are only two ways to play camp or as you campers say running windsprints or running around getting killed. no one is suggesting that you run around all out in the open shooting your gun saying here i am! i am so tired of campers defending camping by saying that. im not in a corner or a window, so what? when you look at the word literally when you go camping you dont just sit in the tent the whole time, your tent is on a campsite aka the area you are controlling as you campers are now trying to dismiss it as. if you are sitting around waiting for someone to come to you hiding in an area its still camping dude. you are still in the same spot over and over. defend doesnt mean camp, there are ways to defend where you are not jus stitting there picking a good spot and waiting for the people you know have to go that way and shooting ducks in a barrel. all objective games become is camp the flag camp the bomb heck now its camp the tags! wether its in the corner in the window or running back and forth in the same area its still camping dude. you call a camper a camper first they deny, then when you call them out on where they were camping next is usually well if you know where i am at why cant you kill me? and then its usually im not kneeling in the corner or in a window. so? you are still in the same spot man, thats what the definition of camping is, setting up shop in one spot and waiting for the enemy to do your job for you and come into your area. and it always ends the same way, you mad bro? i swear there has to be some camping bible they pass out to you guys its ALWAYS the same. running back and forth from one door to another in the same spot is camping. doing the square dance moving from corner to corner in one spot is camping. i hate campers. play how you play guy but dont twist it around to make it what it isnt. there are plenty of ways to camp the two you described and the one you are doing. and if you think the only other way to play is to run around like a fool rambo style gun blazing then maybe you should play something else. D2AC! SUGU!

ovadosa wrote:

the thing with campers is they think there are only two ways to play camp or as you campers say running windsprints or running around getting killed. no one is suggesting that you run around all out in the open shooting your gun saying here i am! i am so tired of campers defending camping by saying that. im not in a corner or a window, so what? when you look at the word literally when you go camping you dont just sit in the tent the whole time, your tent is on a campsite aka the area you are controlling as you campers are now trying to dismiss it as. if you are sitting around waiting for someone to come to you hiding in an area its still camping dude. you are still in the same spot over and over. defend doesnt mean camp, there are ways to defend where you are not jus stitting there picking a good spot and waiting for the people you know have to go that way and shooting ducks in a barrel. all objective games become is camp the flag camp the bomb heck now its camp the tags! wether its in the corner in the window or running back and forth in the same area its still camping dude. you call a camper a camper first they deny, then when you call them out on where they were camping next is usually well if you know where i am at why cant you kill me? and then its usually im not kneeling in the corner or in a window. so? you are still in the same spot man, thats what the definition of camping is, setting up shop in one spot and waiting for the enemy to do your job for you and come into your area. and it always ends the same way, you mad bro? i swear there has to be some camping bible they pass out to you guys its ALWAYS the same. running back and forth from one door to another in the same spot is camping. doing the square dance moving from corner to corner in one spot is camping. i hate campers. play how you play guy but dont twist it around to make it what it isnt. there are plenty of ways to camp the two you described and the one you are doing. and if you think the only other way to play is to run around like a fool rambo style gun blazing then maybe you should play something else. D2AC! SUGU!

God that was painful reading your wall o text but I did. And you're just wrong. You tell me What do I have to do to achieve a victory against you without being labeled a camper? So now defending 2 flags is camping?  You are frustrated because you play by yourself and have no way to implement STRATEGY with a TEAM into your game. So your lashing out. What do you expect of me if I already have 2 flags? You expect me to 3 cap ? So I can get spawned behind? Or so you can rage quit because you're getting 3 capped? I don't understand really. I've been playing online a looong time and I can tell you the origin of the term camping came from the 2 examples I mentioned. Since then kids like you have stretched the term to include whatever the hell you want. "Oh he shot me off the flag again he's a camper" "I can't even get the flag's they're all camping" No we're not ! WE'RE DEFENDING OUR FLAGS SO WE CAN WIN!!!!

hmmm, so you are not hiding in a window in a corner, i doubt you are standing in the middle of the street or out in the open. you are not in the corner waiting or in a window waiting and not running around so what are you doing? not frustrated at all friend i love to hate campers, if you have to camp to kill me that says more about me then you and i appreciate it. you owe me half your kills because if i didnt come to where you are you wouldnt have killed me because you certainly didnt search me out. the conclusions you make arent really sound no one said cap all 3 flags, defend away thats the point! i didnt suggest otherwise. i dont play obj games for that reason only did in blops to pro my perks and hated every minute of it. hated going for the bomb or the flag just to have people laying on the floor waiting for you 20 kills no caps no plants or defuses, its easy kills, you know where the opponent has to end up if they are playing the obj so i will just camp the bomb flag or tag and get some kills rack up killstreaks the first round unleash them the 2nd wash rinse repeat yawwwnnn. just because you expand your radius to something bigger then a window or a corner its still the same thing. they are camping a window and you are holding an area. both of you are waiting for the enemy more then likely already ads. i really dont see the difference you just have a bigger area to hold rather then what they can see from the window or that corner. if im in a room with more then one window im not camping according to your logic. the corner camper who chooses an area and then moves from corner to corner in that area waiting for victims is not a camper? i too have been playing fps for a loooong time, camping means that you arent really moving around much or staying in the same place or area as you call it, setting up shop and waiting for the action to come to you and then you pull the trigger if you die its a beeline back to the same area. wether its staying in the corner staying in a window or staying in an area its all still STAYING it the same place area or vicinity which is what camping entails. wins and k/d are like oxygen for a camper, breathe deeply......

I agree. Camping is sitting in corners for a prolonged length of time or staring out of windows. Patrolling a small area is not the same thing,.

twinkeeze

Patrolling is my game style without a doubt but am called a camper all the time, makes me smile

if the other team is camping/holding an area, I'll flank and kill them. It's not hard when you know where they are all sitting. If the other team is running around I slow down and patrol an area, normally half a map. Call it what you want, camp, patrol, holding an area. It's a style of play.

But those ppl who sit in a dark corner, that is true camping. If your only chance of a kill is when someone runs infront of you or runs into a doorway your corner is pointed at, that is camping.

I really think every kind of play style should be accepted in team death match and free for all its the people who try and do this in objective based maps that drive me nuts you dont have to be the person who is running or capping the flag but at least provide support not just sitting in the middle of nowhere doing nothing for the team.

I like to take a advantageous position and hold it. Then utilize it and wait for the people to come and try and take it from me providing me with even more kills.

My team and i hold areas in every game mode we play. I totally agree with you and i especially cant stand those corner campers. i hunt them down with extreme prejudice.

BigHeadN wrote:

1-"The Window Camper"- usually a kill wh0re who remains stationary in an advantagious postition. Usually a window but also rooftops,stairways,doorways and other hard to flank postions. This player typically does not care about the win but camps for kill streaks.

2-"The Corner Camper" - This is the guy that's scared of his own shadow. He takes the game waaay too seriously. Usually a kid too young to even be playing. He hides in a shadowy corner with all the stealth perks, a silencer and sometimes a heartbeat sensor waiting for a guy to run by to shoot in the back. They always end up going negative because they anger people to the point of making them search for them.(Exeptions to this are players hitting a corner to take a moment to heal, reload, use kill streak etc..)

And then there are people (like me) who typically hold an area. And I can only speak for myself and the guys I play with but our play style is this: (we play DOM mostly) take 2 flags then defend them by spreading out to easily defenced positions careful not to push the opponents spawn so we don't force them to spawn behind us. We are not hiding in corners or windows we are waiting for them to come to us. If they take a flag we with take it back. We want to WIN first and second, rack up kills. It's not camping it's sound strategy and it's fun when we are winning AND getting kills. And knowing you're not gonna get shot in the back is especially nice.

You mentioned 3 types.  I call the second type, Mousetraps.  They can only kill you if you pass through the door they are so feverishly staring at.   I am so sick of the word Camp.  I played a guy today on Hardhat.  I killed him and heard the zip sound.  I knew he was going to come back around the same corner, so I waited and shot him in the back as he passed.  I got my predator off of him with this kill.  I heard him in that brief second, yell out an explitive Camper!!!  After the game I tried to explain the it isn't camping when you know he is coming back around.  It is smart.  He said he didn't say camper.  That is how badly overused the word is.  It is so ingrained into these peoples heads that they think everytime they get shot, it is a campers fault.   No sir it is your fault for being an idiot rat. 

I like your method of play.  This game kind of sucks for holding an area though.

ghosthound

BigHeadN wrote:

That is how a clan or team is supposed to play. Nice.

Now if only MW3 had HC CTF...a game mode where the spawns never change.

mickilla

I see the major difference being that these 'window campers' that you describe are in a sense trying to hold an area the same way you are. And because they're doing it in a high exposed position, you can counterattack them at range from different angles. When I'm sniping this is exactly the sort of person that makes for the easiest targets. It's also the sort of role that conventional snipers themselves often need to use to be successful.

As of the corner campers, I agree. Because they're not guarding anything other than their own rear ends, they might as well just be land mines waiting to be stepped on. I have no sympathy for them.

combatvetizaf

I wrote this way back in December 2010 (with a few minor edits) which proves the camping versus holding/ambushing/defending debate will never die ...

CombatVet IZ AF wrote:

Here's the definitions - in my opinion - of camping and ambushing/defending.

When you ambush, you cover a particular spot on the map like a choke point or open area that forces the other team to modify their tactics.  You cover this kill zone with claymores and direct fire weapons.  Ambushers kill and displace, kill and displace.  Ambushers don't sit on the kill zone, but defend it from a distance.

When you camp, you defend YOUR spot on the map just to rack up kills.  Normally this place has no tactical significance for gameplay.  This means planting claymores around your position and sitting inside doorways.

When you defend, you deny an area to the enemy for the purposes of denying them a tactical advantage while camping is purely for self benefit.

combatvetizaf wrote:

I wrote this way back in December 2010 (with a few minor edits) which proves the camping versus holding/ambushing/defending debate will never die ...

CombatVet IZ AF wrote:

Here's the definitions - in my opinion - of camping and ambushing/defending.

When you ambush, you cover a particular spot on the map like a choke point or open area that forces the other team to modify their tactics.  You cover this kill zone with claymores and direct fire weapons.  Ambushers kill and displace, kill and displace.  Ambushers don't sit on the kill zone, but defend it from a distance.

When you camp, you defend YOUR spot on the map just to rack up kills.  Normally this place has no tactical significance for gameplay.  This means planting claymores around your position and sitting inside doorways.

When you defend, you deny an area to the enemy for the purposes of denying them a tactical advantage while camping is purely for self benefit.

well put

Ok tac games holding position is vital its the aim of the game capture and defend, but of l8 i've been playing HC TDM and i have to admit i have rage quit on a few occasions i can understand 1 person per team camping especially low rankers who are not familiar with the maps but the problem i seem to encounter is the majority of the team who sit back and camp in there spawn and most of which a quite high prestige its at the point where i now carry a noob tube to flush out campers, which is another point not only do they sit back and camp but they do so with noob tubes. I have to admit i love it when i clear them out just as they on for a kill streak the response is priceless. See my KD ratio is crap cos i run around just hoping i finish with more kills than deaths lol.

I like to consider it a Campground tactic more so then camping.

If I can sit in that window of Dome and kill every living soul that steps foot towards that front door even down to the radar catwalk, you bet your sweet ass I'm going to chill out on that big window.

Call me whatever you want, I'm able to cover hummers, bunker stairs, bunker hole AND the radar catwalk all without having to take 2-3 steps. Who wouldn't want to go 25-2?

I could make a freaking guidebook on proper section holding techinques.

Patrolling an area is one strategy, but if you "camp" in a spot that is in the dead center of the hornets nest and you can stay there while being attacked 3-4 at a time, kudos. It's one thing to camp where you can't get shot, it's another thing to camp where you can shoot.

Quick tips? Two man teams (3 is better)

Arkaden: Hold the hotdog stand down stairs, one behind the counter, one behind the escalator. It is a hot box, if you can stay alive there, let them call you what they want, 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't be able to do it themselves.

Dome: One front door, one back door (at the far back to check front from time to time). Front will go 20+ kills if he can stay alive, back door keeps him working. Back door can get very busy though.

Underground: Long catwalk thing at one spawn side. One left, one right, both watch center. Left and right are hard to watch because center stays busy.

Outpost: Parking lot. One at warehouse doors behind truck. . . lets him see all the way to the bunker door. Other under tower carwalk near tarp or on back path stairway. Motion sensor crucial to warehouse.

Hardhat: Hold cement bags in spawn corner down from bulldozer. One holds cement stack shooting to bulldozer, other holds box looking at warehouse. DO NOT stand to the right side of the box, they shoot through the flapping tarp, Stand as far to the left of the box as you can. Warehouse STAYS busy. Enemies attack 2-3 at a time often. Motion sensors crucial. Shoot through wooden house if one "disappears".

Village: One far left on fridge watching truck, watch sniper hill. . . if sniper is there, keep to the right of the fridge. Other holds from path in town watching towards small "door" and bridges. Used to hate Village till we ran this, now it's one of my favorite maps.

Mission: One holds corner hill beside pit on stack of barrels and crates. Shoot to center and left, opposite hill if possible. Stays busy, people start to hunt you. Other watches foot of opposite hill and top. More dangerous but can be rewarding, hide near giant pipe if they start rushing or if you call in killstreak. Can hind behind foot of the hill to cover sniper alley.

Resistance: Hold small shop at corner. Will need sniper and AR. BB and motion sensors ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL. Enemies often spawn close and attack non stop. Kill them enough and its 2 vs. 6. Watch front path and high sniper patio.

These are quick versions of what me and my friend do. It's a little "campy" cause you don't move alot but it's because you don't have to. . .  it is going to be non stop fighting. A lot of the times you don't even have a chance to reload, which is why we both run MP9's cause you run out of primary fast.

Like I said before don't get discouraged what people call you, cause if you can hold our spots successfully then kudos. Me and my friend run 3 - 4.xx k/d's weekly and we both have shotty connections. So you have to be good to hold where we get. That's why we hold them, they are busy busy.

Some places are slower than others, but it guaruntees your friend will do well even if you don't see many people because you are his flank.

Do what I say and I promise your k/d will go up if you are even a decent player.