9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2012 6:31 PM by zerocool-dnb RSS

Forcing hardcore ricochet in every hc game mode goes against everything hardcore was designed for.

I get it. Teamkillers were a huge problem in any hardcore game mode. Probably the biggest problem. But forcing ricochet on every hardcore game mode destroys what hardcore was even created to be in the first place.

Hardcore mode was created to be a more lifelike combat experience that forced players to more accurately take into account the consequences of their actions. The key differences it used to accomplish this were to increase the bullet damage to more closely mimic real life bullet damage, remove the heads up display and to implement firendly fire. While the increased bullet damage and lack of a hud remain features of hardcore, and still do make the consequences of gameplay choices more profound than in regular game modes, the key feature of hardcore was certainly friendly fire.

Of course, the gameplay mechanic most ripe for abuse is also most certainly friendly fire. Richochet is not the answer to this problem.  No matter what you do in a hardcore ricochet game, you cannot kill another teammate, except (bizarrely) by letting that teammate shoot at you. By forcing ricochet, IW has completely removed the gameplay mechanic it was trying to fix, making it impossible to exploit, while still punishing players for actions that would have exploited the mechanic in the past, but now cannot.

This isn't even hardcore mode anymore, it's something completely different, and it punishes you for playing it.

Furthermore it creates more problems where previously they didn't exist. If a teammate gets killed somehow by one of your bouncing bettys or claymores, you die instead, even though you had no control over the situation at all. This leads to you randomly dying at any point on the map because of a chance "death" of your teammate even though you didn't actually "kill" him, and only for the reason that you were the one who happened to put that claymore or betty on the gound.

In gamemodes like search and destroy, where you only have one life, ricochet makes a lot more sense, as teamkills in this instance aren't really punishable by a three strikes policy or a timed respawn policy, since it only takes one instance of teamkilling to ruin the match. In most other gamemodes, its a different scenario, and thus it demands a different approach to moderation.

• Re: Forcing hardcore ricochet in every hc game mode goes against everything hardcore was designed for.

I agree. I hate it when y bouncing betties kill me because my teammate was to stupid to observe the environment. Also, some people purposly stand by the betties just so you get killed. Another problem is teamates trapping you in a corner and the only way to get out is by killing yourself.

• Re: Forcing hardcore ricochet in every hc game mode goes against everything hardcore was designed for.
    trialstardragon

If they remove it and and I get killed by dbag team player trying to steal a care package or by a dbag player killing me to prevent me from grabbing a tag in kc. I will team kill ever member on my team each and every match until it is returned.

I prefer ricochet and the small issues is causes then dbags team killing for any of the reasons I stated above.

Nor should I have to worry about dbag players tossing a nade to get a multikill in hq or at teh flags in dom just beacuse they are too lazy to shoot the enemy instead. So any of that happens and I will become one of the team killing griefers that it was meant to prevent.

If teamkilling is such and issue (and I agree with you that it is) there certainly needs to be some sort of fix, and while ricochet does fix teamkilling in that it makes it essentially impossible, it also creates a lot of problems as well, that can be quite annoying. Bettys and claymores aside, it also essentially makes any sort of airstrike useless because you're almost always going to die using it, realistically speaking.

The heart of the issue is the way they implemented ricochet, it overcomplicated the matter of teamkilling. Wouldn't have been much simpler just to take out team damage altogether (a la core mode) like they have effectiviely already done and not kill you (or damage you) when you "hit" a teammate with what would have been damage? The extra punishment is stupid when you think about it, it doesn't solve the problem because there isn't a teamkilling problem anymore (there's no more team damage) and it only creates more problems.

I believe ricochet should go and a three strikes system, or something like cod3's forgive/punish system should be used instead. These systems have the least amount of collateral damage as far as the scope of moderation goes. At the very least, they should remove the unnecessary "ricochet" aspect and leave the team damage removed.

trialstardragon

fixing the betty and claymore issue would be easy, just disable the ability of your team mate to destroy it. It would reduce those that go around doing that trying to grief.

I think the way the air suppors work is fine, in hardcore you should not always be using the biggest ksr to get the most kills. Instead switch up to ones that help and support the team more.

I can play an entire hc game in any list and never worry about killing a team mate ever. But at least I know I am protected from the random spray and prayer or the random nade tosser or the random using a bombing ksr to get simple kills and not caring who is near by.

You would not like me with the punish system or vote to kick. For I always voted to kick team killers in Halo. and I always punished them too. There was no acceptable reason to team kill ever imo. And if by chance I did it, I expect the same thing to happen to me as I did to them. To be kicked or punished regardless of how well I was doing or not.

"If they remove it and and I get killed by dbag team player trying to steal a care package or by a dbag player killing me to prevent me from grabbing a tag in kc. I will team kill ever member my team each and every match until it is returned."

Please re-read your statement and then define to me what YOU think a dbag is. Tell me does your definition match mine? My deffinition of a dbag is:

a DBag is a person that says "If they remove it and and I get killed by dbag team player trying to steal a care package or by a dbag player killing me to prevent me from grabbing a tag in kc. I will team kill ever member on my team each and every match until it is returned."

Agreed. I really do hope they take ricochet out of hardcore but keep it in S&D

i would have to disagree if anything in hc they should remove most kill streaks and do a WaW setup with set killstreaks of radar a chopper and another ks      remove all the damn launchers because they are annoying as f***            riccochet is great minus grenades as long as your paying attention and dont use a million explosives you will never have an issue with it

personally HC modes are for skilled players (in theory) and to me using those methods is somewhat childish and takes away from the game (imho)

and having riccochet on means you dont get shot by some knob panicking while your about to get a kill      too bad if you can get random grenade toss kills or use bomb runs and etc     learn to shoot and learn well

bullets are the only thing that should fly in HC   

zerocool-dnb

They should use a system like black ops, three team kills you get booted,when i was playing black ops you definatly used muzzle control and did run around tubing and throwing random grenades.just a idea...

p.s. give us the choice to play with or without splitscreeners.