20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2012 1:12 PM by deucedouglas RSS

Why did they kill off the M16?

I prestiged this morning and decided from the get go i would use the M16 till i got it to level 31, because i have alway been a fan of 3 burst weapons in all COD Games . Im currently at level 27 with this Gun and it has been the hardest gun so far for me to level up and get kills consistantly with. It can take 3 maybe 4 bursts at range to drop someone and 2 sometimes 3 up close . Rapid fire helps alot but proficiency wise i just cant seem to find the combination that helps this gun reach its full potential or maybe it does not have any and this is just wishful thinking from a M16 fanboy.

 

Thoughts, Opinions, Suggestions on this weapon that might help me out?

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?
    gallp13

    Fantastic thread Hobow...love the m16 ACOG combo in BLOPS but no matter what I try I can't seem to make ths m16 in mw3 work...I too am all ears for advice from the wise on this matter!

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?

    I agree when i was trying to master it i was having a horrible time, until i tried rapid fire with a red dot then all of a sudden it clicked into place for me and was working great. Since hitting 10th i have not got around to using it again but when i do i will be sure to use the 2 attachments on it. Also if you're not already try it with Sleight, Quickdraw and Marksman, worked a treat for me and it was the best m16 combo i found.

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?
    v0_FATALITY_0v

    i use it just like i did in blops, acog then add rapid fire. Just putting the acog attachment on makes it seem to more consistant and gets kills in less shots.

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?

    I'm currently using the M16 with RDS and flinch? (where you dont flinch when shot) and finding it a beast, despite only just prestiging I'm doing very well with it.

     

    Compared to a full auto AR you do have to be clever and pick your battles, if you R&G with it you WILL fail. Slow your pace down, use cover, and ALMOST camp and you'll do well with it. It is accurate and for me kills in 1 burst unless im in a bad lobby.

     

    You want a challenge - get the MP5 to Gold. Do that and you'll realise how easy the M16 is!

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?

    I only run with a silencer on the M16. It seems to actually get more consistent one shot kills that way. I don't really have a problem killing people with the M16 unless they are at a long range, and then it takes 2-4 bursts to kill.

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?

    I hated the M16 at first also, it seemed completely broken.

     

    After a few prestiges I tried it again, and after slapping a silencer on it I have little trouble racking up killstreaks.

     

    I use the attatchments proficiency with silencer and either grenade launcher or shotgun attatchments, and it has become one of my favorite weapons (behind the G36c, Mp7, and MP9)

     

    It seems to me as if the silencer helps reduce the spread, making the 3 bullets hit closer together for more accuracy. I could be dead wrong though. Whatever the reason it's a lot better with a silencer. (it seems more accurate when hip fired also)

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?
    nuttin2say

    Of all the ARs, I have the highest accuracy with the M16. It is one of the lowest KDR guns I have, but I think that's the result of a few things. For starters, I just went through to complete all the attachments recently. Matching those up to perks and proficiencies takes a while.

     

    But here's some combinations I found helpful with the M16.

     

    On CQC maps, I found the Heartbeat Sensor helpful. Be careful: either Blind Eye or Assassin (I don't worry about those perks enough to know which it is) is immune to the HBS. Don't let that scare you though. Instead, use Steady Aim in Tier 3. for proficiency I used Kick. Don't bother to ADS if someone rounds a corner. Instead, hipfire and the M16 is pretty damm good.

     

    On maps that were a mix of engagement situations, I ran either Steady Aim or Stalker in Tier 3. For me, on these kinds of maps I run into a lot of situations where I have to engage multiple opponents so extended mags was a big help. I ran Quickdraw, as well, because there's still times when you're not going to have time to reload. Of course, SoH is the Tier 1 perk to run. With extended mags I also found running the Attachment proficiency and using Rapid Fire was a big help.

     

    On long range maps, the way to go was using the M16 with the HAMR scope. Yes, its a pain to switch to the RDS/Reflex site, but really, you're not likely to be pressed for time when you spawn on maps like Bakaara. But the HAMR became very helpful on long range shots. With this combination you can run breath and Marksman ... but you won't have the most kills in the match. You can still get a lot of kills, depends on how careful you are moving around the map.

     

    Another good combination for the M16 is to run attachments with Silencer and Rapid Fire. Using that combination you have a lot more flexibility in your perks. In fact, with this combination I could run just about any perk arrangement I wanted.

     

    Another good combination with the M16 is using it as a Recon class. Run Recon, Hardline, and SitRep. The key to this combination is to focus on painting targets, not a high kill count. As far as kills go, just be determined to stay alive. Doing that, you don't take the big risks you do under normal run & gun situations. Let a team mate lead the way and before he rounds corners, pop off tubes, toss 'nades or tactical 'nades, etc. Cover your teammate's rear approach (you'd be surprised how many flankers' day you can ruin!). If you don't already have Recon Pro doing this, it won't take you long to get Recon Pro.

     

    Another attachment I found fun on the M16 was the shotgun attachment. Now this thing was tricky to figure out. Amazingly enough, I actually started getting Striker users to back out of games on Dome. Imagine that. SoH, any Tier 2 perk, and Steady Aim. Part of the trick here is that you don't have the range of normal shotguns ... but face to face, the shotgun attachment wins. That's just all their is to it - the shotgun wins. What I would do is lure the other player into areas where I'd have the advantage. Get them to chase you down a corridor where you can duck then pop out when he rounds the corner and doesn't see you. The shotgun is also perfect for flanking. I loved sneaking up on two or three guys camping and taking them out in three shots. Even with an SMG, usually by the time the first one is killed, the other two are turning and starting to open fire. With an M16 and shotgun attachment, you usually come out ahead.

     

    The proficiency that I found the least helpful on the M16 was Focus. I just could not find a combination that could make it work.

     

    And I'm going to tell you something. Once you get the feel for the M16, it is more accurate at long range than the Type 95. If you like semi-auto or burst fire guns, the M16 is the way to go on Bakaara and Village. It's a great gun on Interchange, too, but I like the MK14 on that map. If the other team is really good, switch from the MK14 to the M16. M16s burst fire is better than the power of the MK14.

     

    Good luck!

    • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?

      ridiculous. I'm trying to raise my kd but I do like this gun - you're convincing me to use it, which will undoubtedly bring my kd down. thanks.. .

    • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?
      rankismet

      nuttin2say wrote:

       

      Of all the ARs, I have the highest accuracy with the M16. It is one of the lowest KDR guns I have, but I think that's the result of a few things. For starters, I just went through to complete all the attachments recently. Matching those up to perks and proficiencies takes a while.

       

      But here's some combinations I found helpful with the M16.

       

      On CQC maps, I found the Heartbeat Sensor helpful. Be careful: either Blind Eye or Assassin (I don't worry about those perks enough to know which it is) is immune to the HBS. Don't let that scare you though. Instead, use Steady Aim in Tier 3. for proficiency I used Kick. Don't bother to ADS if someone rounds a corner. Instead, hipfire and the M16 is pretty damm good.

       

      On maps that were a mix of engagement situations, I ran either Steady Aim or Stalker in Tier 3. For me, on these kinds of maps I run into a lot of situations where I have to engage multiple opponents so extended mags was a big help. I ran Quickdraw, as well, because there's still times when you're not going to have time to reload. Of course, SoH is the Tier 1 perk to run. With extended mags I also found running the Attachment proficiency and using Rapid Fire was a big help.

       

      On long range maps, the way to go was using the M16 with the HAMR scope. Yes, its a pain to switch to the RDS/Reflex site, but really, you're not likely to be pressed for time when you spawn on maps like Bakaara. But the HAMR became very helpful on long range shots. With this combination you can run breath and Marksman ... but you won't have the most kills in the match. You can still get a lot of kills, depends on how careful you are moving around the map.

       

      Another good combination for the M16 is to run attachments with Silencer and Rapid Fire. Using that combination you have a lot more flexibility in your perks. In fact, with this combination I could run just about any perk arrangement I wanted.

       

      Another good combination with the M16 is using it as a Recon class. Run Recon, Hardline, and SitRep. The key to this combination is to focus on painting targets, not a high kill count. As far as kills go, just be determined to stay alive. Doing that, you don't take the big risks you do under normal run & gun situations. Let a team mate lead the way and before he rounds corners, pop off tubes, toss 'nades or tactical 'nades, etc. Cover your teammate's rear approach (you'd be surprised how many flankers' day you can ruin!). If you don't already have Recon Pro doing this, it won't take you long to get Recon Pro.

       

      Another attachment I found fun on the M16 was the shotgun attachment. Now this thing was tricky to figure out. Amazingly enough, I actually started getting Striker users to back out of games on Dome. Imagine that. SoH, any Tier 2 perk, and Steady Aim. Part of the trick here is that you don't have the range of normal shotguns ... but face to face, the shotgun attachment wins. That's just all their is to it - the shotgun wins. What I would do is lure the other player into areas where I'd have the advantage. Get them to chase you down a corridor where you can duck then pop out when he rounds the corner and doesn't see you. The shotgun is also perfect for flanking. I loved sneaking up on two or three guys camping and taking them out in three shots. Even with an SMG, usually by the time the first one is killed, the other two are turning and starting to open fire. With an M16 and shotgun attachment, you usually come out ahead.

       

      The proficiency that I found the least helpful on the M16 was Focus. I just could not find a combination that could make it work.

       

      And I'm going to tell you something. Once you get the feel for the M16, it is more accurate at long range than the Type 95. If you like semi-auto or burst fire guns, the M16 is the way to go on Bakaara and Village. It's a great gun on Interchange, too, but I like the MK14 on that map. If the other team is really good, switch from the MK14 to the M16. M16s burst fire is better than the power of the MK14.

       

      Good luck!

       

      Again... I'm telling you... gotta change the name to "summin2say".

       

      Good tips.

    • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?

      I was using stalker in tier 3 but just unlocked Steady aim so going to switch them up, You're right about Focus aswell i was hoping it would help this weapon out but i was wrong , im currently doing the extended mag challenge (one of my favourite attachments for any Gun) The shotgun attachment challenge has not been done yet its next on the list but i did use it when leveling up the AK47 it was fun to use but not something i would keep on it, I think once i have finished up all the attachment challenges i will stick with Ext Mags & Rapid Fire,

      Thanks guys for all your advise i had no idea so many people used it as it is rarely seen being used,

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?
    rankismet

    hobowi7hashotgun wrote:

     

    I prestiged this morning and decided from the get go i would use the M16 till i got it to level 31, because i have alway been a fan of 3 burst weapons in all COD Games . Im currently at level 27 with this Gun and it has been the hardest gun so far for me to level up and get kills consistantly with. It can take 3 maybe 4 bursts at range to drop someone and 2 sometimes 3 up close . Rapid fire helps alot but proficiency wise i just cant seem to find the combination that helps this gun reach its full potential or maybe it does not have any and this is just wishful thinking from a M16 fanboy.

     

    Thoughts, Opinions, Suggestions on this weapon that might help me out?

     

    It is not what it used to be...

     

    ... but...

     

    ... I started using it since I'm gonna reset my stats this weekend and default weapons will be option de guerre for a bit... and actually was having some success with it.

     

    It is a strictly a mid to long range weapon in MW3.

    • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?

      rankismet wrote:

       

      It is not what it used to be...

       

      ... but...

       

      ... I started using it since I'm gonna reset my stats this weekend and default weapons will be option de guerre for a bit... and actually was having some success with it.

       

      It is a strictly a mid to long range weapon in MW3.

      I have had some success with it to on certain maps, you're right its not what it used to be. IT was a beast in Cod4 and it had its moments in BO aswell

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?

    After reading this thread I decided to use an overkill class with the mp5/m16, I was going 15-0  within the first couple of minutes, then the host dashboarded. -_-

    • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?

      whyte648 wrote:

       

      After reading this thread I decided to use an overkill class with the mp5/m16, I was going 15-0  within the first couple of minutes, then the host dashboarded. -_-

      Not got overkill unlocked yet but maybe i will start to use this perk when i do on my m16 class

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?
    mickilla

    The M16 isn't a bad weapon at all, it fills its intended role just beautifully. The only problem is that its particular niche role as a medium-range precision rifle is completely taken over by other weapons that do this even better than it can.

     

    The ACR, for example, is what would happen if you took the M16, set it to fully automatic, and then for good measure reduced the recoil a little bit too. That sounds like a pure upgrade becuase it really is. Same could be said of many other weapons.

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?
    CowboySr

    I noticed that the MW3 version of the M16 has a bright orange cap on the muzzle. This may have something to do with it.

  • Re: Why did they kill off the M16?
    deucedouglas

    The only reason it's dead is because of the Type. There is literally no reason to use the M16 when the Type is better in every facet. That with the fact that there isn't many mid-to-long range maps to use it on makes it pretty useless as well.