27 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 9:59 PM by Clan_Killah RSS

MW3 - terrible lag & overly strong lag compenstion - PS3

Hi all, be prepared for a wall of text!

Now, before you all start posting below complaining about this being a repost, etc. I know, but I'm so fed up that there is no response from IW or Sledgehammer about this that I'd like to make my own post, also so I can share my own experiences clearly (most of the other posts have descended into arguing).

There are two problems I've been experiencing, and those are general lag and lag compensation.

Lag

I have a good deal of experience with Call of Duty games. I've played CoD 4, MW2, Black Ops and MW3 a great deal, so I can tell when somehting isn't quite right. Over the last couple of weeks, I've been in quite a few matches (especially when playing Ground War) in MW3 where lag has ruined the game for me. Rubber banding was one such problem. Another was seeing enemies teleporting and then said player would insta-kill me. I realise that lag is an inevitable problem in such games, however, a two-bar connection in MW3 is about as good as a one-bar in MW2. I played quite a bit of MW2 in the run up to MW3's release, and could tell that, even with MW2 having around 50,000 players online and MW3 having around 400,000 at the time, there was no difference in the quality of connections. It was even difficult to find standard Kill Confirmed and Domination matches with low latency. My internet has been playing up a bit recently though, so that is partly to blame, but the problem with my internet connection has been speed, not latency. I'm now doing my best to play in parties with people nearby who have similarly fast internet and I also leave the matchmaking lobby if the the game starts searching for matches with < 75 ms ping, rather than < 50 ms.

It just confuses me as to why lag is so much worse in MW3. I do realise that there is additional Elite traffic, but why not postpone that data transfer until after the match is over - it's not actually sending your stats in real time now is it? That's how Battlefield does it and it works well.

Lag compensation

Ok, this is the big one. I remember when lag compensation was introduced in Black Ops. I also remember the many patches I have had to download since launch. I remember when Black Ops' lag was terrible and how patches progressively fixed it. I remember my comparisons between MW2 and Black Ops connection quality and how much better MW2's connections were. I also realise that it took about 10 downloadable patches (as opposed to hotfixes) for the connection to be consistently good and for hit detection to be spot on. I do not want to see the same thing happen with MW3. It's sad to see really that, since the latest update, lag compensation and hit detection have become major issues. I do not want to wait 6 months to be able to enjoy playing online on an even playing field. I'm not saying lag compensation is a bad thing - when I was host in MW2, I felt bad about annihilating the opposing team. Suddenly the one second between firing my SPAS-12 and the hit registering was gone. I could run around and kill people before they even had a chance of returning fire. I'd get K/D ratios of 20 or 30. And I'd have a lot of fun getting multi-kills with my AC-130. Lag compensation is something that, when done right, will make the game fair and make everyone happy. However, done wrong, it has the potential to infuriate many. The latter is what is happening now (it started about a week or so ago, since the latest update was released).

A simple Google search reveals the scale of this frustration. As soon as I realised I wasn't the only one with such issues (and that it wasn't simply because I was suddenly bad at the game), I decided I'd best write my thoughts down and make sure that IW, Sledgehammer and the CoD community see what is happening.

The golden rule of FPS (and any other shooter for that matter) games is to punish you when you make mistakes and reward you when you do the right thing. Take it as this: if you die because you did something stupid, so be it, but if you died when it wasn't your fault, that's when a game becomes frustrating and unfair. Lag compensation in MW3 is so strong that it gives a huge advantage to those on poor connections and punishes the host beyond belief.

Here's an example: earlier today, after playing in a party with 4 friends and winning all our Dom and Kill Confirmed matches bar one, I decided to hop into FFA. Normally I win FFAs, and often finish 2nd or 3rd. I played a few two weeks ago and won most of them. Today, that didn't happen. I decided to do this to level up my SPAS-12. I was host (I was sitting in the 'waiting for x more players' screen for a while whilst players joined one by one), so I thought it would be a fine match to use my shotgun. It wasn't - I finished last. The few kills I did get were when my enemies either had their backs to me or they had missed me with their entire magazine and were reloading. One time, I'd walk up some steps and I'd see the enemy and instantly fire a shot and then follow up with a second. Then I'd die from a single shot. The killcam then shows me coming over the top of the stairs and doing absolutely nothing whilst the guy empties five rounds into me. Another time, I'd go round a corner and a second later I'd get shot and die, not by somone after the corner, but from someone before. Killcam shows me nowhere near turning the corner.

I also recall the 'being shot around corners' in many other matches, emptying half a mag on target at someone walking directly towards me and be insta-killed by them, only to be shown in the killcam standing like an idiot not firing a single shot, and sniper bullets that seem to be blanks (I'd fire on target and the hit wouldn't register). Most of those who killed me would be on three-bar or two-bar connections, whilst I'd be on a four-bar or host.

Lag compensation is so ridiculously strong that it makes playing as host or on a four bar simply frustrating and no fun at all. I am going as far to say that MW3 has been ruined by this issue. I'd say I'm not a bad player. I'm definitely an inconsistent player - I have off days where I lose more matches than I win and have saddeningly poor aim, but on a good day with a good connection I can rack up 40-50 kills in Domination, win most matches and have long killstreaks. Not Sandy Ravage, but definitely better than average.

Please IW and Sledgehammer, make sure you fully test patches in the wild (i.e. on standard intenet connections, not corporate LAN) to make sure that things work as they should. Rubbish internet connections will have wild jitter (fluctuations in latency), so sometimes they have even more of an advantage, as it takes time for ping to be calculated and for lag to be compensated. For example, if an enemy has 120 ms ping to the host and then has 60 ms the next packet, and if you have 10 ms ping, 110 ms lag compensation will be applied to you if you and them have a firefight, but that applies to old data (compensation can only be applied to packets after the test packet), so they will win. Their next packet could have 400 ms ping and the one after just 50 ms - it's not fair.

Also, before I forget, fix the spawn system! I hate it when enemies spawn right behind me in the open, or when I have just respawned for an enemy to run in half a second after I spawn and kill me from behind. I myself have spawn killed enemies that have spawned in front of me (direct line of sight), which shouldn't happen.

• Re: MW3 - terrible lag & overly strong lag compenstion - PS3

your completely right, I'm host on at least half the games I play, when I play as host I get owned, when im on someone elses connection I do very well. Quite frustrating. The game freezes, then 10 seconds later I'm watching a killcam of someone killing me while I lay there. I can't tell you how many times I've died because of lag compensation, it punishes people with a good internet connection. I agree with the spawns too, they are horrendous.

Is there a fix for this? I see no remedy yet...

maccabi

lag comp wasnt introduced in blops its been in every game,

the reason there is so much talk about lag comp is simply its the term everyone uses to blame on everything,

mw2 is was sniperfrog.exe  mw3 its lag comp

I agree the last few days have been horrible

And the one shot kills and shot around corners is also crap.I seen the last few days players on conveyer belts ,insta kills makes me just turn off

what all of you have said is true...

Host Lag is unfair

Having a fast connection also seems unfair because i get punished

Lag is a terrible in this game

I thought "instakill" was only in Zombies until i bought this game..

i dont know what more the whole gaming community can do or say regarding MW3 ? it seems the lag in 1 way or another has ruined this game.. basically all of november,all of december and now all of january 2012 MW3 is still lagging bad.. to the point theres a song about it lol ( www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82203771 ) ...

all im saying is why is the developers consistantly trying to bang out DLC video's when the Core game is still broken..? COD is so big in the gaming world and yet we are being driven away in droves because this game is annoying most of the time with game angering issues of LAG... like the OP said ... if you die by a mistake,then so be it... every 1 on 1 gun fight is lost because my connection is quicker then yours.. WTF...?

does anybody think the "LAG" conversation in MW3 will last till B/OPS 2 ?

K1ller_911

i dont believe there is any such lag compensation..i think its a myth. Ive intentionally tried to make my connection worse just to test this theory out and it really doesnt do anything except make the game even worse.  I think the people complaining are the ones who have a really really good connection and are finally getting matched up with someone else that has a good connection. Whats the problem people arent just standing there not shooting at you anymore as soon as you see them? Thats normal their suppose to fire at you, your not suppose to run around and get 25 kills in arow you arent that good and everyone else sucks its just your connection is superior to everyones and theyre all lagging behind you. If your connection truely sucked like mine does youd notice these things because im always looking at the scoreboard and seeing who the top scores are and there connection 9/10 times is always  a 4 bar not a 1 bar. This proves your statement false. Lag compensation doesnt exist or its a non factor if it does.

Ike455

Let me tell you something, this lag compensation is serious crap.  To those of you who claim that there is no problem with lag compensation and we're all just a bunch of players who actually suck and are whining about it... bullshit.  Let me tell you what I've seen...

It wasn't so bad when the game first came out.  When MW3 first came out, I could live with how well I played or how much I sucked during any one match.  In the past few weeks, things have gotten much worse.  What I notice is that I can unload a magazine into an opponent's chest and yet still have them shoot me with about two rounds (or more) and I'm the one who's dead.  Yes, that's right.  I can actually watch my rounds make the hit and HEAR the hits happening.  It used to be that this would happen once every other match or so.  I could live with it.  Now, it happens in almost every match.

Here's the second part of the story:  I got into the Theater and played back one of the matches.  I fast forwarded to that kill I just told you about.  Lo and behold, the replay shows my opponent hitting me with about six or more rounds before I am able to fully raise my rifle.  That is definitely NOT what happened during the game.  Something fishy?

Just to let you know, I have a 3MB DSL connection.  I thought, "Hmm.. maybe if I get cable internet, that might fix it."  Nope.  I spoke to my friend who lives across town and he has a 12MB cable connection.  He has the EXACT same problem.  We even are getting connected to servers with <50 or <75 ping.

So, yes.  There is DEFINTELY a problem with lag compensation.  Those of you who don't experience it, well... I have no idea why.  But, many of us out there are experiencing it.  And let me tell you, it's seriously hurting my K/D ratio.  Trust me, I don't suck.  I'm not claiming to be the best out there, but I'm definitely not one who sucks at this game yet cries when I loose.  I just wish things could be fair again.

Come on developers... let's fix this crap once and for all.  I say get rid of the lag compensation.  If you have a slow connection, oh well.  Spend the few extra bucks a month and upgrade.

I don't fully understand how I can lagg so much when I have a 100% connection....

I think they should really rebuild the servers because laggin while level 8 rooks kill you when you clearly see them first is bull and the mp7 is not stronger than the acr .... Really

I don't fully understand how I can lagg so much when I have a 100% connection....

I think they should really rebuild the servers because laggin while level 8 rooks kill you when you clearly see them first is bull and the mp7 is not stronger than the acr .... Really

I keep seeing guys facing away or sideways when i shoot them, but seeing the killcam, theyre facing me...Or posting up on a doorway you KNOW someones coming through, training your crosshairs on the door, only to have them come through the door, find you, then target you all b4 you can shoot...wtf is this..Everything also looks like a one hit kill to you, until you see killcam and notice 5 rounds hitting you...FIX YOUR POS GAME B4 WE GO BACK TO BF3

OP and Ike, I feel your pain, all of these things are happening to me as well (I realize its been a while since original post).

This is still happening, even now. It's Feb, almost Mar and all the updates seem to have done is made the lag worse....

People are turned sideways and yet their bullets seem to go towards me instead, kc shows them turning, facing me, aiming and shooting, while I stand there and, if im fortunate to shoot at all, I'm firing aimlessly in some other direction.

I unload full clips, sometimes a few if I'm fortunate enough to survive that long, directly into targets, and I'm instakilled while the replay shows a 4-6 round burst going directly into me.

People have been able to run cleanly around me and knife me in the back, while my aiming system conveniently points my face into the ground to remind me someone went past me. I run up to people and knife them only to be instakilled, replays show me 4 feet away knifing the air like a retard.

I am practically always host, thank you cable internet connection, I will seriously have to downgrade and pray that the compensation works in my favor next time. It's seriously not doing its job to make anything fair.

My k/d is below 1, and my accuracy is below 13%, this is primarily due to the fact that people don't die when I shoot them, and they're never where they were when I started aiming.

Half the time I'm lucky if I can aim at all before being instakilled, replays most often show no gunfire on my part whatsoever.

This is no longer a game of reflexes or skill, its become a matter of hosting and internet connection speeds and quite frankly it's BS.

Seriously, someone fix this before the people you've taught to use military grade weaponry go postal on their xboxes. Just sayin...

The only radically new additions to the franchise were the in-depth stats (as seen in the Playercard in Black Ops, and Elite for Modern Warfare 3), and theatre mode. Aside from being completely braindead when coding the game (screwing the 'Lag Compensation' over), these are the only things that can be blamed.

'Lag Compensation' has been around for a while. Just think of the last game you played where you had to aim in front of the target to hit them (for me, it's Halo Combat Evolved, for the PC).

I wouldn't mind lag compensation much if I wouldn't be lagging so much to begin with.

I have mad frame-rate drops, I literally teleport across the map, I find myself in a completely different spot after having my screen lock up for half a second, yet the lag compensation works in my opponents favor? How does this even make sense? How bad does my ping/internet need to be for me to get some compensation working in my favor?

come the FuK on infinity ward.. sort this f/kin lag $hit out..over 4 months now ..

yea got the same prob like evry body els game gets stuck and the audio goes waaaaaaay too wrong im there getting a major lagg for 10 sec and im dead . and wtf is the problem with the servers 3 bars ? more like 1.5 bar max ! fix this god damn game fix your servers thats it do it ! i dont wana come over there and shove the game in your ass . be more like world of warcraft they patch there game like hell but cod on the other hand doesnt gives **** ! do i have do use all my bullets to damage a enemy with 10 % damage or this happens a lot , no damage ! i go freaking crazy we europeans are going to lose our minds and its not only us its worldwide !!!! fix ... this ... gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame ! i wana curse my behind off in this forums and i mean curse !!! a lot of it bcuz of you im gona die of a heart attck ! i look at the kill cam it shows an entire story , enemy sees my first ! shoots first ! uses 30% bullets ,and goes foreward with no probs . my team : see first ,shoot all of our bullets , and die with 1 bullet from our enemy . do you guys remember the first time when we ran it was fast ! now !!!!!!!! we cant i look at my team mates they get stuck while running this is gone too far the game is clearly broken your servers arnt working !!!! activision go ask help from blizzard cuz you suck duck. fix it or leave the game industry and + vampire bloodlines masquerade was a perfect game activision .

Dropshot935

I went back to Call of Duty 4 and was surprised at how smooth it was. I didn't join a single hacked lobby (PS3) and the game was pretty fair, with people using a multitude of guns, knife lunge sucked, and normally powered grenades. UAV jammer isn't OP in any way, and stopping power and jugg counter each other, while placing a noob tube takes away your 1st slot. Re-enter Modern Warfare 3, and my 75/35 plugged in connection is lagging a second behind gameplay which is everything on Call of Duty. Watch the kill cams where I put several bullets in the guy, it doesn't even show my gun being raised.

My connection with mw3

This question is Not Answered.........................why is this problem not being fixed i lag with reapers 2 missiles on a chopper and nothing ....WHY WHY WHY .....support please answer...sort your lag compensation this game is virtually unplayable for me I AM ALWAYS SHOT FIRST BY PEOPLE WHO ON MY SCREEN HAVE NOT EVEN APPEARED DO YOU CALL THIS A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD ??????????????????????

My connection with mw3

This question is Not Answered.........................why is this problem not being fixed i lag with reapers 2 missiles on a chopper and nothing ....WHY WHY WHY .....support please answer...sort your lag compensation this game is virtually unplayable for me I AM ALWAYS SHOT FIRST BY PEOPLE WHO ON MY SCREEN HAVE NOT EVEN APPEARED DO YOU CALL THIS A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD ??????????????????????

I totally agree w/ what ur saying. I experience the same thing that you all are complaining about. What i have found to help sometimes is to either watch a subscripton of youtube and let that **** play over and over until im done gaming.

the other solution to this mess is for everyone to stop buying Infinity Ward games or COD games until they decide to respect the consumer. Im definitely not buying BLOPS 2. I decided to let my frustration die out by playing my BF3 game.

MW3 is fun, but this lag **** is making me go thru controllers like crazy....

PS MW3 does have lag compensation, read the release articles befor MW3 was available for sale and in the majority of the articles it talks about it. Do your research douchebags.

I totally agree w/ what ur saying. I experience the same thing that you all are complaining about. What i have found to help sometimes is to either watch a subscripton of youtube and let that ish play over and over until im done gaming.

the other solution to this mess is for everyone to stop buying Infinity Ward games or COD games until they decide to respect the consumer. Im definitely not buying BLOPS 2. I decided to let my frustration die out by playing my BF3 game.

MW3 is fun, but this lag ish is making me go thru controllers like crazy..

PS MW3 does have lag compensation, read the release articles befor MW3 was available for sale and in the majority of the articles it talks about it. Do your research douchebags.

I totally agree w/ what ur saying. I experience the same thing that you all are complaining about. What i have found to help sometimes is to either watch a subscripton of u tube and let that ish play over and over until im done gaming.

I totally agree with what ur saying. I experience the same thing that you all are complaining about. What i have found to help sometimes is to either watch a subscripton of u tube and let that ish play over and over until im done gaming.