12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2012 4:35 AM by TurdFerguson00 RSS

Q on servers for people that have a clue..lol

My question is actually quite simple... Why are dedicated servers for console games always restricted to the dev/pub? it isnt the usual debate over benefits etc.... i want to know why nobody does it at all.

As i see it... Dedicated servers owned by the public is the only true way a game can last.... a company cant be expected to foot the bill on a single $60 sale, at least not for long...

People will... they always have... its the reason games like BF2 and CS are still going strong, its costing the developers nothing to run.... clans buy pubs and private servers for clan play etc etc... find a great server in your area and your home...lol... 50x the infrastructure of what we get on console games.

my question is... why do they refuse to implement this system for consoles?

you honestly cant believe EA has a huge room full of xbox's running games.... these server clients are running on a standard server... so what reason do they have for preventing the public to foot the bill?

if its because they dont want games to last beyond their sales forcast... im gonna be pissed...

• Re: Q on servers for people that have a clue..lol
    bo2000

So is your question about why COD doesn't use dedicated servers or why they don't hand out servers for public use?

I believe thos who say this is a big financial investment setting up serverfarms close to everywhere people play. EA has one region for whole europe and 3 for tha united states so you might get unbalanced gameplay even on dedicated servers. also running these servers costs money and it's just natural they will not support those games forever but shot one down to start a new one.

Of course public servers would be beneficial to a good game but do they earn money with this? No! Are they afraid of reverse engineering so that the wrong people can take a look "behind the courtain"? Yes! Are they afraid people might modify those servers to take advantage of it or implement new content so that DLC wouldn't be the only way to get new content? Pretty sure they do!

It's a calculation how much they gain and how much they would lose. Obviously the majority is happy with P2P or client/server gaming

sweatyclam

You mean private servers like most games on the PC where clans can have their own server, set rules etc.

I think it has to do with the x-box live network which is like a network within the internet.

These private servers would have to sit inside the network and this would mean the general public would have access within the X-box live network.

I have explained that badly, for that I apologise.....

Hopefully someone else can explain it better.

And the netcode is setup for listen/p2p and would need new netcode to run off a dedi.

TehSpeagles

The netcode's there for the PC version.  No reason why it can't be copy/pasted just like everything else in this game.

maccabi

TehSpeagles wrote:

The netcode's there for the PC version.  No reason why it can't be copy/pasted just like everything else in this game.

you cant copy and paste two totally different platforms code to each other doesnt work like that

but basically without spending ages explaining what clam wrote was basically the correct answer

TehSpeagles

Is that why when you disassemble the PC binaries you clearly see references to Xbox inside?  Because it wasn't copy/pasted?  They purposely typed Xbox references into the PC code for no reason?

You don't have to tell me the code is not the same...  I'm a computer scientist, I know.  But you sure can copy/paste large chunks and edit it to fit the appropriate syntax for a particular platform, especially netcode since there is very minimal (if any) difference in internet hardware between the different platforms.

I'm not arguing that dedis are a feasible option, b/c they're not.  Public dedis are out of the question b/c of the above mentioned reason about the XBL network, and there's no way any company could afford to foot the bill for enough dedis to handle all the MW3 players (especially when they don't have to).

sweatyclam wrote:

You mean private servers like most games on the PC where clans can have their own server, set rules etc.

I think it has to do with the x-box live network which is like a network within the internet.

These private servers would have to sit inside the network and this would mean the general public would have access within the X-box live network.

I have explained that badly, for that I apologise.....

Hopefully someone else can explain it better.

And the netcode is setup for listen/p2p and would need new netcode to run off a dedi.

i mean implementing it just as EA is starting to do... but branch out to traditional hosting providers that PC gamers use... why is the only option the publishers servers? there is talk that EA might start renting private servers to BF3 but again... only EA hosted servers which frankly suck...

is it security? i can understand not releasing to the public, but trusted 3rd party? just give people options... i used cs and bf2 as examples where the community foots the entire bill, quite gladly i might add... EA whines they are expensive while others say TOO expensive to use.... why has this solution not carried over? even MS could get in on it, their network is massive as it is... hosting some game servers should be simple and profitable.

i only asked this here because there are knowledgable people, i've actually searched for the answer elsewhere.... while i'd like to see cod run on DS one day, i know mw3 will never have them for obvious reasons... its entire design would need to be changed

no dedicated servers because IW are money hungry, they just made a billion dollars by making the worst game their companies ever released.  As long as mindless fanboys keep buying and playing this game they have no reason to invest any extra time or money for their customers. 

Congratulations to all the fanboys that are contributing to the degradation of a once great franchise...

downingeffect wrote:

no dedicated servers because IW are money hungry, they just made a billion dollars by making the worst game their companies ever released.  As long as mindless fanboys keep buying and playing this game they have no reason to invest any extra time or money for their customers. 

Congratulations to all the fanboys that are contributing to the degradation of a once great franchise...

but this solution doesnt revolve around IW paying for them... there is some other reason..

the answer seems obvious... they dont want these games lasting that long, the yearly rollout... i would think one title can last a few years with good DLC though... they charge a full games price for a current year of DLC... was mw3 really some huge step beyond BO or mw2? it might as well have been a MW expansion to an existing title imo...

downingeffect wrote:

Your ignorance is astounding.  It has little to do with the money and more to do with the fact that it would be virtually impossible for them to accomplish.  People like you do not seem to realize that they would need literally tens of thousands of servers spread across the globe to support a game this large.  I'm not sure why people seem to think they can just rent one rack of servers somewhere and be done with it, it's not that simple.

but again... im not talking about the use of them for cod...this guy was i guess...lol

developers say they are too expensive to implement.. and they are...

but the infrastructure is already there for PC gaming... whats the difference between hosting a CS PC server or running a BF3 xbox server for a data center?

this entire game is not built for dedis... it cant work.... but hypothetically... IF they were to implement them for a future title.... the only option would be IW/AV hosted servers..

with cost being such a huge issue for not using them.... why has no other 3rd party options become available for the customers to rent server space?

the only reason so far has been microsoft not allowing anyone but giants like EA to get servers inside the xbl network... is that really it?

maccabi

to no one in particular

ill try to put this as succinctly as possible making comments like they can afford it..they made a bazallionteen dollows blah blah just makes you look like an ignorant fool.

consoles are a claosed network they would never be allowed to have player run dedis only approved third party 9publishers like ea actvi ect..

really cant be bothered to explain why atvi wont pay for dedis again just search my name and the word dedicated given two really long explaniations including all the breakdowns before

maccabi wrote:

to no one in particular

ill try to put this as succinctly as possible making comments like they can afford it..they made a bazallionteen dollows blah blah just makes you look like an ignorant fool.

consoles are a claosed network they would never be allowed to have player run dedis only approved third party 9publishers like ea actvi ect..

really cant be bothered to explain why atvi wont pay for dedis again just search my name and the word dedicated given two really long explaniations including all the breakdowns before

ohh cmon mac... you know you wanna... lol

i'd prefer to take IW and MW3 out of the equation altogether... is there a simple reason why there are no 3rd party console server providers other then EA for their own games? many campanies make good money renting PC game servers to individuals.. i know the reasons for not giving it to the public..

i dont want to get into an argument over IW paying for them... but why the option has never existed for people to rent their own console servers, even for games that use dedicated servers to begin with..