40 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2012 5:41 PM by scumbaggah RSS

Why do you care about your K/D Ratio .. or any other stat ?

acemcl_1969

I keep reading people ask "What's your K/D?" or "His K/D is rubbish!, therefore so is he (or she) "

Why do you care, are you that geeky that you check every stat in the game? Are you that much of a snob that you won't play with anyone with a low K/D?

I thought gaming was about fun & enjoyment !!

Before you ask, my K/D is probably sitting at around 0.70 (ish) but I couldn't really give a toss, I very rarely look at it, it certainly doesn't have any decision in who I play with and being so low (apparently) doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game.

I can go positive in plenty of games, I go negative in plenty of games too (as proved by my K/D but I still hold my own (ooo-eerr !!), I have improved and i win more than I lose now BUT I still don't care about any stats in the game (except for gettng to 10th ... lol).

I suppose it's a rant and i'm running out of steam now ...... enjoy the game, ignore the stats !!

• Re: Why do you care about your K/D Ratio .. or any other stat ?
    rlbl

Different aspects of the game are important to different people.  Keeping track of K/D is not fun for you; for others it is.  There is no problem either way (but I would say it is an issue when people force their views on others, no matter which side of the fence you stand on)

Just because you do not care, does not mean no one else should. 

Abrysaf

I don't care I've worked mine up from around 0.4 from when the game came out to about 0.9now.  I'd be happy (purely on a personal level) to get positive, even just 1.001, but if I don't get there, that's OK.

As to what anyone else thinks about itm well they can go take a running jump lol .  I enjoy the game, despite the lag issues.

"enjoy the game, ignore the stats" - couldn't agree more!

dlundebjerg28

What does it matter to  you what people find important? I agree with the general premise of your post that video games are for fun, but for me personally putting up a good game and getting a win is fun. I like to check my stats every once in a while as well. Doesn't mean the game isn't fun because I like to look at my K/D from time to time.

It is sign of skill. The higher the more skilled you are, or you are a cheater. If yours is low people would rather not play with you since you would make them lose. Losing is not fun

Winning is fun and you're more likely to win when your team has more kills than deaths.

That being said, the only KDR I care about is my own. I watch it over time as a measure of my own improvement. I couldn't care less about what other people have, because it's only a snapshot and no real clue as to how they get or maintain the numbers they have.

Ever since I found a team to play with, I don't find myself playing with randoms very often. When I do, I play game modes where I don't have to depend on other players to help out.

KDR is what makes people do things like the guy I played against this guy on Fallen this morning, he was lying on the ground with a Heartbeat Sensor and Thermal Sight waiting for people to run past. Every time he went back, I gave a shout to my team on the mic but guess what ??, most did not go after them because they were camped up like little girsl !! .. He went 12-5 or something, does that 2-1 KDR make him a good player ??

KDR is the reason why, in 3 games of Infected the other day, most backed out when they started losing. I love this game mode and it was ruined by people obsessed with stats. Does their positive KDR make them good players ??

KDR makes people behave like scared little girls who just dont want their pretty little statistics ruined. It's a sad indictment of the game. I am 40 and play for fun, I like to try out all the guns, perks and killstreaks because thats what I bought the game for. If you aren't playing for fun then why are you ??

Thesandman

It is also dependent on how far in the game people have reached.

If you you have only started playing and have for example 100 kills and 50 deaths you would have a 2.00 K/D ratio, whereas im 7th prestige with 25000+ kills and 18000+ deaths but have a K/D ratio of 1.44.

The 2.00 looks more impressive than the 1.44 but when you examine it, 25000 kills is more impressive than 100. I hope ive made sense.

The only people who appear to say they dont care about K/D ratio are the people below 1.00 IMO.

I was more obssessed with K/D when i first started playing, but now i worry more about Win/Loss. Also because i play hardcore i have seen my accuracy drop way down for the simple reason that it technically takes 1 bullet to kill but i tend to hold the R1 button down so in a 30+ bullet clip i am actually wasting 28-29 bullets. I started playing core again last night and immediately my accuracy started to rise.

Funnyguy

I don't care much for KDR, I'm more about W/L Ratio. But both are positive, and I like keeping it that way. It's competitive nature thats why.

Im prestige 1 lvl 65 my KD is around 0.79 and rising and yet i play with my friend Jamsternater2012 who has a 3.3 KD or close to that . what im trying to say is even if someone has a low KD it doesent mean you shouldent play with them, when we play we win most-all matches  we go into. just goes to show that high KDs may be better but low KDs can still be good.

I think for me, its that i have usually been in the 2.00kdr region, so i want to try and improve on this, maybe even get 3.00 one day

I'm currently 2.13kdr in Mw3, I think in COD4 I'm 2.56,, was 2.65 at one time i think.

Don't you know?  It's to show how big your **** is.

Stats can still be fun if you are using them for you, and try to improve them, i just hate them when people use them to discredit or laught at people, I mostly play random KC and when facing a pre-made team its almost certain that you ll lost, but i love the challenge it bring, sadly you often endup 3vs6 cause people bail out to save their stats....  Just hate when the pre-made do strategic camp vs random team, it make the game unplayable.

I have a K/D below 1 and i care about it and try my hardest to at least get it to even.  My opinion is that I feel if i'm dying more than I kill then im hurting my team and I hate the feeling of being a burden even if they are strangers.  If my team wins i could care less with my K/D was that match, but if we lose then i feel its my fault and i let my team down.  Though I will say that depending on the game mode K/D does't mean everything, if im in the negative but i felt i did other things to contribute to the team then i feel a little better.

I agree with the premise of what you are saying but maybe not to the extreme you are talking.

I do think alot of players care way to much about stats and obtaining a number.  I think it is the major reason why it seems like every COD camping is getting worse.  People trying to maintain or obtain a high k/d.  And I see k/d being the stat that is the most problematic.  Like whoever it was said they saw a guy camping playing like a douche with a heartbeat.

But with that being said there is nothing wrong about caring about stats either.  I do to an extent to see if I am getting better or worse or whatever, and it's not a bad thing to want to have decent stats.  As long as you are having fun and enjoying playing the game that's all that matters.

different strokes for different folks, some people like the challenge of maintaining specific status or ratios...it's their deal, let 'em do what they like and you do what you like.

win/win

I used to care about my k/d but then I took an arrow to the knee. 

I guess your the type of person who doesnt get why pitchers with better ERA's are sought after. Or ppl with higher batting averages or homeruns.  It shows consitancy. Then again KD alone doesnt show everything. But it is a start.

@OP - LAWL YOUR BAD QQ MOAR!!!!!

Because people want to be good at the game? Its quite obvious. No offense.

well .. im normally a huge stat freak in games but only if the environment is controlled and conditions are equal .. and in call of duty there are just way too many variables that influence your KDR .. ive seen great players with a lousy KDR and aweful ones with a really good KDR .. and as mentioned before... now that infected counts towards your KDR it really ruins the whole stat for me...

i find it funny to enter a game with mostly lower prestige people and hear them talking on their mics about my stats and how bad my kdr is for being prestige 10 .. and then i kick their ass ingame (if the lag isnt too horrible and i did not get host...)

because i played many different modes and tried all weapons and many different setups i definitely did not always just try to keep up my KDR and it is only at 0.9 or something i think

Ebn

I have to admit I like the stats. I would have preferred the Black Ops style leaderboards where diffo game modes contained different stats and k/ds. It would save me jumping on TDM just to nurse the k/d due to some awful plays on another game mode.

The MW leaderboards combined k/d is a step back from Black Ops. Dunno why they would even do such a thing......Sometimes you think they sacrafice progress just to keep identity. It's one franchise. If it works in one keep it in the other. We're all the same folk buying both studios games anyway!

scificrimes

I care about my KD because I feel it pushes me to continue to improve. I can easily go for an objective without any regard to the enemy who's waiting to pop me off. OR I can go for the objective AND kill a few enemies, making it easier for my team to help. It's just my opinion and I'm not trying to influence anybody. Different people have fun in different ideas of fun. You may not see any fun in maintaining a positive KD but some of us do. I don't see any fun in camping but some people do. I don't see any fun in going 3-21 but, again, some people do. You gotta remember that not everybody thinks the same as you. The sooner you realize this the better

I only care about Stats because they allow me to track my progress.  Most of the fun in the game for me is continuing to get better at playing it.  Say I am at a certain K/D number total, that is what I use to measure my game to game performance.  I know if my K/D was lower than my overall K/D, then I did not perform up to my potential.  If my K/D starts dropping, I know I am not getting better at the game.  Same with W/L and all those other stats.

Stats simply just give me a way to measure my own evolution as a player.

I try to take pride on maintainig decent stats, K/D ratio basically shows how effective you are in the game (combat wise). I try to make myself better.

now the win loss ratio doesnt mean much if you do not have a team or clan you always play with and play with a bunch of randoms every time. if you do have a team and or clan then does the win/los ratio matter.

Stats are there for a reason reguardless if anyone cares or not. I play to win. i play seriously to have fun in the game.

Elderluck

I most try my best to play the game the way it was intended to be played. So if I can get good stats playing the game the way its suppose to be played then it make me happy, that people who have to play the game the wrong way dont even have as good stats. I mean I am not making money off of it but its like just something I do as a personal type deal but i feel some people take it too serious and camp and alot of other annoying type things that are annoying but you cant let the game bother you too much. It is after all just a game.

scumbaggah

I don't care about kdr at all, It's by no means whatsoever a "sign of skill" and I really don't know how people can still believe this...

Elderluck

It kinda has something to do with the intent or ability to play to some degree. If they are 0.43 k/d you dont expect them to get 30 kills or be a asset  to the team. And since noone plays to lose. You kinda use that to gauge the potential of the player. Not "skill" because this isnt skill at least not too me.

scumbaggah

Yeah depends I know guys with high kdrs and as soon as the game might look tough they back out to preserve their precious kd,  These are the same guys who as soon as they join a lobby they check the leaderboards for everyones kd and if someones might be decent they back out straight away.

You can hide in a corner and go 7-0 for the whole game and get a great kdr doing this but are you really better than the guy who runs around capping flags to ensure the win but goes negative in the process? I don't think so. Not to mention all the boosters out there with false kdrs.

I really don't think kdr is a decent measure of how well someone can play this game. "skill" is not the proper word here. Skill is what it takes to fly an aircraft or build a house. Thats skill. Sitting in front of a TV playing a video game doesn't take skill. Its an ability. As for the stats, I think they are and have been severly flawed in this type of game.

Think about it. I could just sit there get one kill per game then leave, and bam eventually my kdr will be through the roof. The w/l ratio would be nothing, but hey I have a high kdr, so what. I did nothing to achieve this.

Stats are so easily manipulated, that to me they mean nothing. But on the other hand as some have said here, they mean somthing to others. Some people live their life by it. To each his own. We all have our little quirks. I'll get drunk, break out the M60 and go Rambo style. Its a load of fun, and I just don't care about anything in the game.

crunch1200 wrote:

I really don't think kdr is a decent measure of how well someone can play this game. "skill" is not the proper word here. Skill is what it takes to fly an aircraft or build a house. Thats skill. Sitting in front of a TV playing a video game doesn't take skill. Its an ability. As for the stats, I think they are and have been severly flawed in this type of game.

Think about it. I could just sit there get one kill per game then leave, and bam eventually my kdr will be through the roof. The w/l ratio would be nothing, but hey I have a high kdr, so what. I did nothing to achieve this.

Stats are so easily manipulated, that to me they mean nothing. But on the other hand as some have said here, they mean somthing to others. Some people live their life by it. To each his own. We all have our little quirks. I'll get drunk, break out the M60 and go Rambo style. Its a load of fun, and I just don't care about anything in the game.

+1 *hands you a cookie*