37 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2012 7:58 AM by SplitUrWig RSS

Boycott MW3...can it be done?

aaces101

I would like this to be a serios thread. If you only have negative points to put up that amout to flaming, save us all the time. If you have negative points that are constructive critisism, by all means post that. I honestly want to know what everyone thinks could be gained from such an undertaking. I know it will not be easy and I don't have all the facts in front of me, but here goes.

There is a huge fan base for the COD franchise. We as consumers have spent millions upon millions of dollars for the right to play this game. Yet the company that owns this game has not spent the money necessary to keep up with the growth of the community. They have not given us dedicated servers. Well, the way I see it is we have 3 options. 1) Continue to play game as is with lag ruining a big chunk of the fun. 2) Quit playing COD all together. 3)Boycott these guys until they spend the money necessary to make this game playable again.

Personally, I would love to see us band together for the common goal of forcing them (Activision) to make this change happen. I don't just mean the PS3 community, but all the gaming platforms. Could it be done? I think yes, but what do you think? It would take some truly dedicated people to get the word out. We would need a website. We would need big names such as clan leaders of some of the major clans, and also some of the guys that have a large subscription base on Youtube to start. Basically, people that love the game but are tired of sub-par treatment from the company that owns COD. Maybe we could pick just one day, that we all make a commitment not play, to get the message across that dedicated servers are a must.

Let's face it, all the other problems with OP weapons, spawn issues are secondary to the overall playability of the game. It is time for a change, and we have spent too much money to be denied this.

So what do you all think? I know this is a basic thread with not much hard substance, but can we do it? I for one love playing this game enough to at least try. As much as I love it though, I will not play this much longer in it's current state. Any ideas/suggestions constructive critisism is most graciously welcome. Thx

• Re: Boycott MW3...can it be done?
    rlbl

Unfortunately, this could not work as the forum members represent a very small percentage of the consumers.  They get a lot of feedback from us here (and through twitter or other means) but that still is a fraction of the players.

However, anything has to start somewhere...

WolfRidge

In my opinion it can't be done and any attempt would be futile, the amount of people that participate in online forums like this one are dwarfed by the amount of people that play mw3 overall, COD is a juggernaut and the only way it will change is if another developer designs a better game.

The issues in this game only annoy the hardcore shooters, the average player couldn't give a monkey's , they just play it for fun. Talk of  boycotts, lawsuits etc is pointless (imo) as there are more people willing to accept games as they are.

Would like to say good luck in your "plan" but I wouldn't mean it, I like call of duty, when I stop enjoying it, I'll stop playing.

Websites won't work, the only way to get the word out there is via media such as facebook/twitter, but I doubt you'll find much support there.

aaces101

Right, right I get what yall are saying, but that is why I say it will have to expand. Say 20 of us get together from this forum. We start out messaging others (outside the forum). Sending selective in game messages (absolutely no spamming). 20 people sending out messages can get the ball rolling. What we really need is that white boy 57th ave. or some like that to get on board with us. I was thinking at first an altogether boycott, but after further consideration that is probably unrealistic. However, an option to surrender playing for one day just may be possible. I guarantee it would hit COD in the pocketbook.

aaces101 wrote:

Right, right I get what yall are saying, but that is why I say it will have to expand. Say 20 of us get together from this forum. We start out messaging others (outside the forum). Sending selective in game messages (absolutely no spamming). 20 people sending out messages can get the ball rolling. What we really need is that white boy 57th ave. or some like that to get on board with us. I was thinking at first an altogether boycott, but after further consideration that is probably unrealistic. However, an option to surrender playing for one day just may be possible. I guarantee it would hit COD in the pocketbook.

Where do you get your logic from?  If every COD player in the world didn't play COD for one day, Activision would lose 0 dollars.  Every day millions of people play, they don't make any money from people just playing.  You've already purchased the game, they already have your money.  If you don't play for a day, you don't hit their "pocketbook" at all.

not really to many kids wouldnt happen unless age ratings were inforced and made it illegal to buy an 18 for under 18s

Dumb idea would never work for one you dont pay to play online, they have your money already you could buy it and never play it or even open the case would not effect them. LIke some one already said the only people that come complain on the forums have no clue or care to confiure their internet connection to help with lag, How is one day not playing this game going to hit there pocket? I guess the first thing to do when trying to do a boycott is put some thought in to it first ya think?

not really to many kids wouldnt happen unless age ratings were inforced and made it illegal to buy an 18 for under 18s

sounds great but in not playing doesnt actually hurt them (infinity ward) but not paying any more money is the only thing that would prob make infinity ward sit up and take note... things like DLC coming out etc.. now i have actually purchased MW3 they have my money so if i chose not to purchase anymore DLC until the host lag is fixed along with the whole ps3 community is prob the only way in going forward..

obviously if the host lag was fixed this would not be neccissary..

because MW3 runs on a peer to peer network, we are the hosts so infinty ward dont care if i play or not...

just wish the game was running how it was advertised..

either that or just put on the MW3 case :

this game will be laggy.

this game will use the much annoying host lag system.

this game will use the much annoying lag compensation.

this game wont be keeping in touch with the community with regular updates like we said it would to fix any bad issues.

this game will give slower connections an advantage.

this game will have host stutter.

this game will have out of memory in the theater.

this game will run better on the xbox.

have i missed anything out ?

rlbl

yes:

- Although this game is rated M for mature, you will be constantly annoyed with tweens thinking they are "gansta", playing music and singing in their Wallmart headsets because their parents are slaves to their kids, and buy it for them.

- You may experience an Audio burst that may or may not blow out your ears, or speakers depending on your audio setup.

- We IW, like quickscoping.. just letting you know (lol)

I thought I would add to your humour/sarcasm...

Back on topic...

Yeah the only way to hurt them is (as stated above)

- enough people stop buying future AV anything realted to this (COD game, DLC, Elite, etc..)

- someone comes out with a better (or equivalent) game which nudges AV to think about doing something different.

Seriously, if you have a product that sells, by definition it works (specially if future sales continue to grow).  If it was truly crap, people would not buy it, and sales would dwindle. Simple. or is it...

dlundebjerg28

A boycott would not work for two reasons.

1) Activision already has your money for the game, they could care less if you continue to play it or not. IfYour $60 is already in their pocket, stopping playing MW3 doesn't effect the bottom line for Activision, and therefore they wouldn't care.

2) Not everyone would join you. I for one am having a blast playing MW3. I have the best availible internet in my area, and I occasionally pull host, but for the most part my experience is pretty solid. Sure I lag, but its a video game and a lag death might be annoying, but it really isn't a huge deal. Although these forums are filled with the bulk of the whiners and complainers, there are so many people that share my point of view on this game. There are people enjoying MW3 that would not join your protest.

So basically a boycott would accomplish nothing. MW3 is going to continue to work how it does now. If thats bad for you, then I guess you can move on to another game. Not playing MW3 has no effect on Activision, and really wouldn't accomplish anything, and this whole idea really wouldn't do anything to accomplish the goals you want to acheive.

Izjar11

Though your correct they have our money, doesn't mean it wont work. Don't be discouraged by dudes like this who will try to bring your idea down. Of course not everyone will join but its better to attempt it than not to if that is what COD games want.

dlundebjerg28

He asked for any negative crticism, I'm simply giving the man what he asked for. I felt that I constructively told him why it wouldn't work, I didn't put down his idea or his goals, I was simply stating my opinion that I don't think his way of going about it is the best way to make that happen.

Izjar11

A decent post with a valid purpose. Nothing is impossible but as someone else mentioned on here, those who frequent are probably a small minority. But never say never, if you want to make the difference I'm all up for it. Let me know what you envision.

aaces101

dlund, you are correct, I did ask for that and I very much appreciate all responses. Bottom line for me is this: I enjoy playing this game (and the friends I play with) enough to give it a shot. I don't go to bars, shoot pool, throw darts or play cricket. COD is what I do and I care enough to at least try to make a difference. I am going to put something together/call on a few good people and explore this further.

No matter where this ends, I honestly think it must start here. We are the minority as far as overall players, but we are the hardcore no matter what. We are the ones that care enough about the game to take it farther than just playing online. We (most anyway) come here to give/recieve input to make our game better and that is what we can do here.. So we start here and expand. I will be back

a boycott will not influence anything, current players already paid, and with no campaign public, game buyers will not know the faults within to do so anyway.

at best, less users frequent this forum/site. and some players dont play. it will cost ACTI less in bandwidth for that month.

and thats all.

until some class action deal or court/media influence hits activision in a bad way, they will remain reluctant to address these issues.

at least that is my opinion. from the evidence i see so far.

Well to boycott is to cause action by not buying a service or product. Sure we could boycott the DLC's if you havent already bought them. But we cant unbuy the game. So No we cant boycott IW for MW3

ghamorra

The most we could do is boycott the next game, Black Ops 2, or do an Occupy Activision to show our displeasure

I  agree with what a few others have said on her in that I don't think a boycott will work.  First off this forum is really just a drop in the bucket when comapred to all COD players.  It is made up of a few longtime veteran players who have been doing this for awhile and then another group that aren't active unless they can whine about something. 

Also I go along with what a few have said on here that a boycott now wouldn't do a whole lot.  The money has been spent and damage done.  Now can you hurt them by not buying future titles and DLC? Sure but it would take alot more than a handful on the forum.  Unfortunately I don't see that happening even with the best efforts cause honestly prolly 80% of worlds players don't give a ****, and on the forums you prolly have the top 2-3% that do.

I think in order to get real change someone from another company is going to have to step up.  There has to be a challenge.  That hasn't happened yet.  Yeah BF has made strides but still they haven't been able to touch COD.  As far as a "fast paced fps shooter"  BF is just not there.  Not saying it's a bad game I haven't played it had alot of friends give it try and said ehhhh it's ok but it's not COD.

So IMHO until that day comes where a challenger truely comes to take the throne.  I think it's going to be just more of the usual whether you think it's good bad or in between.

aaces101

Well, as I said I really appreciat all the responses. There is one thing for certain: There is a major problem with lag in this game. This is irrefutable (can't belive I spelled that right 1st time ). I can either do something about it, keep playing and hope someone else does something or quit playing...I prefer doing something. Even if I do fall flat on my face. If you don't think that thousands upon tousands of people not logging on to play for 1 full day won't put a little fear in their hearts, I have to respectfully disagree. See, I'm not talking about 200 or so people on the PS3 taking part. My vision is that the majority of all the platforms take part.

Believe me when I say that I am a realist. I don't believe in much, but I believe fervently in the power of numbers. Nothing ever accomplished anything, so I can only hope that you guys that have expressed doubt, will soon see that there is a shift taking place and get on board. We in this community disagree on many things, but the love of the game is never in doubt. Oh sure, there are the few that swear they're never playing again, but that never lasts. We love this game, and spend alot of money (elite/mappacks/headsets/tv's/game itself) to get the most out of it we can. Is it too much to ask that they reciprocate and give us dedicated servers? No, it is not! Please you guys, get on board. At the very last we have nothing to lose.

At any rate, thanx much for your time and input in considering this issue.

Aa

Well I gotta say I like your spunk and passion for it.  But honestly I'd think you'd have to have COD to go dark for a day.  I mean you figure all the millions that play day in and day out at any given time.  A few thousand or hell prolly a few hundred thousand missing for a day they prolly still wouldn't notice.  You'd have to be at least looking at the million mark and IDK if that would even do it. 

Now that would be a feat of epic porpotions.  Good luck with it .  Cause I personally think that you'd pratically have to make that world map on the menu screen go dark to get anyones attention.

This thread does contain a lot of solid points as to why a boycott of mw3 likely wouldn't work, however it does get the gears of thought working as follows:

A great many gamers (including myself) visit vid game sites like Gamespot, IGN, Destructoid, etc to read game reviews, thus assist us, even steer us into what they find as being worthwhile game/s..

It goes without saying that such game reviews can hold great impact on whether or not a game might be purchased on a large scale. The Review writers nearly always put together critical and comprehensive review/s on nearly every game that hits, or is about to it, the market.

More importantly, and this is what my post is suggesting, is if gamers really want to put pressure on game developers then perhaps go through the gamer Reviewers and their respective site to do this.

IE: If Destructoid was to post an article on the massive MW3 lag compensation issue, or any other significant mw3 issue, you can be fairly certain that prior to the next game release the game developer/s might put considerably more effort into improving or eliminating the issue prior to release. That might be the best we can all hope for.

Bottom line: Perhaps contact the Vid game websites and their Reviewers and ask them to comment, or critize, ongoing and unacceptable performance by game developers and their games.

It is my opinion that well known Game Reviewers and their host site/s would have considerable clout in the Developers den.

aaces101

Exactly!! It is that right there. See, I have no idea about that site, but I do have access and even a clan website on Gamerdna.com. If you were to do that and others there follow suit. I do it with gamerdna...so on and so forth. I have the drive, I can assure you of that, to pull my weight. All we need is ideas, then people to put those ideas into motion. I am already starting to put together a small outline of what it is we can accomplish and the reasons for it to send out to the Youtube community. I really believe there is enough love for the game to make this happen. I would love to get a website put together for it too. I'm not even opposed to spending some cash to get it rolling. Together, we can make a difference...don't doubt it for a second.

Since we can't go on strike, we don't work for them we can refuse  their need to pick our pockets .Their game doesn't play well and the hackers are rampant,so don't go premium again and no D.L.C AS for the next title ,well we all learned are lesson.

aaces101

That's good too a.d.p., but i'd first like to give them a chance to fix the game I love to play. I think first and foremost we need numbers. Once we have numbers, we need an action (1day log-off) to prompt Activision into a reaction. If their reaction is not sufficient, we have the numbers (and they know it) to affect later sales. This is what drives companies...it's the laws of supply and demand. Once we have visible numbers/big names behind us the possibilities are endless. I was thinking at first of a website, but I'm not sure if this site right here couldn't serve the same purpose. Island, in the post above, just gave some great ideas of things to do. If anyone knows of those sites or reviewers on those sites, get in contact with them. See if they will not post a review about the horrid lag being experienced when playing COD at this time. As for me, I am going to attempt to get in touch with some of the big names on Youtube. Plead with them to make a video about a one day logoff to help with dedicated servers. If any of you know personally some of these guys, please message me if you think you could get them on board.

What we need to do though is to figure out what day would be good for such an en devour. It needs to be at least a few weeks off to give us time to get the word out, but not too far off. Then, should it be on a dlc day and if so, what platform as the dates vary. Maybe it could be different days for each platform depending on dlc dates. These things need working out.

Anyway, I'm at work now so I can't concentrate much, I will do more once I get home, but anyone that wants to get involved, however big or small, mssg me and let's put a plan into motion. Thx again to all those with ideas. It's these small ideas that will come together to make big changes.

Ebn

The best thing I can suggest when trying to hurt a developer is something you have already done and already still do...

Not that I think Activision deserves it at this stage as I'm happy with MW3 (but certainly another US 'arrow to the knee' inducing studio). But if you are not paying them then they're not making money. And no, I'm not advocating piracy at all.

It's the all legal, all simple....... Second. Hand. Games. Market.

(you know they hate it )

Someone want to like my comment?!? I'm a like virgin in this forum! lol

fisheadz

dont let yourself get shot down mate

few years ago in a country in financial ruins, a lil man with a funny moustache used to give speaches ect in cellers an such like places. over time the audiences got bigger an bigger, fast forward a few years he was in complete charge of a whole country with his own elite army. few more years an he got himself a mahoosive empire he was on top of the world.

few more years an he was responsible for 30million dead, destruction of 100s 1000s of cities [guestimated numbers].

one man can make a difference....................[who knows what i jus watched on tv ?]

gotta start somewhere, an todays media comms is much much more effective than 1930s germany

if iw ect ect saw mw was dead for 1 week, it would be noticed, very much so

i would support it for sure, however my personal opinion is it would be a to little too late as i would imagine treyarch will release in nov this year, which i eagerly await, an i wouldnt bet against iw next release coinciding with the next gen consol release. meaning more hype more promises ect ect an i recon this will all be blown over by then

respawn............we are waiting

I would agree with you but Infinity Ward should not be punished for Activisions' actions. Neither should any other developer. The only way to show Activision that we (the customers) mean business is to boycott the release of the next COD title. Since COD4 there hasn't been a game as successful in the community's opinion. With all of the recent title launches I have heard nothing but negativity. "This gun is OP" and "LAGGGG!". They did a fair job with host migration and gun on gun game play but nothing is perfect. You have to chose the lesser of two evils. Either piss off a few people or piss off a lot of people to make a few happy. I'm not happy that I paid 50 extra dollars for a service that still isn't complete but all I can do is wait for it to be fixed. I feel the same way about sending a message to Activision but the only way they will listen if it hurts their financial standing. So I propose boycotting COD9 when it releases in November.

aaces101

You know, you may just have something there. Do exactly what we're talking about here. We build numbers. Make up a petition for people to sign on that web site (can't think of it right off) stating that unless there are dedicated servers, _____ # of people will not be purchasing the next title. Would this be a better tact to take?

There are more than a few people that are upset with Activision. I don't think it would be too hard to get something started. The question is how many people will actually go through with it? I know that I will not be purchasing the newest COD title later this year because I am fed up with the way Activision has treated me as a customer. If a month after it is released and I hear great reviews I may go out and purchase it.

scumbaggah

Lol contact 60 minutes and get them to do a big expose...

So let me get this straight, youre boycotting A GAME because YOU DONT LIKE how they manufactored/released/updated a game. Or you that serious?

dastealth

I understand what you are trying to do here so this is my input. When trying to make a major change for the good of the people (in this case the community of COD), you need to have a criteria that is reasonable and sound. You also need a large base of supporting followers whom you can prove will make an action if this criteria is not met. A good way to make a change is to get a petition of at least 500,000 COD players to sign, not just via email or forum, but an actual signature a petition stating the terms of what you are requesting. In this petition you must also state what you are requesting, the time frame in which you demand it by and an appropriate action if it is not met.

No onto the demand you want to make.

Stating that you want dedicated servers is not a reasonable criteria as if you reaserched the issue you will find that dedicated servers is not the answer. Dedicated servers have their own problem but the biggest issue is that they are extremely costly to setup in the case of COD. Activision has also stated that they will NOT install a dedicated server system due to the major costs in which they claim will cost a large sum (around in billions of dollars) to setup and maintain.

You need to find a solution, even if not a full solution, that they can use to "fix" the issue you have.

The Action taken afterhand if the criteria is not met by the deadline must also be relevant to the company and situation that you can implement and is also believable. For instance, stating that these following people will not purchase the next installment of COD would hurt Activisions pocket but Activision know their fan base and have seen how many times people have gone back on their words. If say 500,000 people said they aren't going to buy the next game they probably will factor the fact that at least 200,000 of those people actually will buy the game because they will make it look enticing.

Another scenario which has been stated is to refuse to play for a day. This would not work unless it was public and people (other than the COD community) cared about it enough to "help" out.

The best way to scare Activision into doing something however is to approach Sony, Steam & Microsoft. ATM Microsoft is out of the question due to the contract they have with Activision, but if you could convince Sony or Steam to deny access to the COD servers, even for a day, you would probably make a big enough fuss that something would happen. Just remember what Wikipedia and other sites did about the SOPA bill. Everyone in the world knew about it and it made the bill look realy bad (I'm not expressing my opinion on the bill). Imagine a similar case in COD. Every person that tries to log into the COD servers a message comes up stating that Activision is not giving the players a fair go. Just think about how much outrage it would cause against Activision.

Anyways just my opinion and sorry for the massive speech

To boycott this game would be fairly pointless, they already got the money they wanted out of us...however I feel if we boycott their next title (which I will be without a doubt be doing, regardless what the title is ) it will send a bigger message as the only way to get to big companies like activision is to hit them where it hurts in their wallet.

I agree with this. I will not be purchasing the next Call of Duty title (COD9) because as a premium elite customer I'm not happy with the service I purchased. I'm not trying to get everyone to hop on my band waggon. I just want everyone to realize what must be done if they want to see a change in the way Activision treats it's PS3 customers. I feel as an Elite Premium Member I have a legit argument. And I am not referring to the DLC that releases later this month. I am talking about all of the other services that I paid for 3 months ago that still aren't on Elite. I'm not going to file a law suit or set up a picket out side of Activision HQ. I'm going to bide my time and when COD9 releases hopefully I will have gotten through to enough COD fans on the PS3 for it to make a difference. If you are a PS3 elite member or not and you are fed up with the treatment of Activision, then instead of complaining about it just don't buy the next title they release. And when Xbox360 gets the maps first, and Activision won't even give you a release date for DLC maps. Don't complain about it because you will have given into Activision bullsh*t and bought a endorsed by a company that doesn't care about a large majority of their customers.