1 2 3 Previous Next 68 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2012 2:32 AM by G IH A IN ID II RSS

Found a clue that may explain lag in MW3

Nubdub

I updated my linksys router to ddwrt software just to see if it would help the terrible lag in MW3. Well, after looking through the settings, I found an area that shows what open ports each connection is using. Out of curiosity, I was looking at the xbox ports with MW3 running and to my surprise I see UDP port 55 being used by IP address 209.170.124.205. I proceeded to look up the ip address and found that it's an IP address in Dublin Ireland owned by a company called Demonware limited. After googling Demonware I see that its a company owned by Activision/Frostbite.

The game is connected to a server in Ireland at all times. That may explain why the lag issues do not seem to effect players in Europe. That may also explain the 1000ms delay that seems to take place in most games for a lot of players in the US.  Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Found a clue that may explain lag in MW3
    trialstardragon

That is the elite/theater/stat tracking to my best guest. Or its the facebook connection.

hmm.. wonder what would happen if the port was blocked...

• 2. Re: Found a clue that may explain lag in MW3

sounds about right

also MICROSOFT xbox support ect is based in dublin ireland so they prob have some link there with xbox for monitoring between the 2 companies ect

• 3. Re: Found a clue that may explain lag in MW3
    Nubdub

I am going to try it. I am guessing the game will not load though. I will let you know.

• 4. Re: Found a clue that may explain lag in MW3
    Nubdub

Looks like it is using port 100 now. It changed. And the last 3 numbers of the IP address keeping changing too. From 203 to 204 to 205. Almost like they are intentionally trying to keep you from blocking it,

• 5. Re: Found a clue that may explain lag in MW3
    trialstardragon

hmm. I wonder if opening the port will help some then that do not have upnp enabled and the port is being blocked.

I wonder if that could be part of the xbl sign in service and is why I get dumped from xbl at times beause my router blocks that port on its own most of the time as is probably.

Or maybe its part of the xbl leaderboards, or the xbl stat tracking for your playercard..

But since it was reported as belonging to ACTI/Frostbite. I think it has to do with game stat tracking perhaps.

Maybe it is the server where the online profile and stats are being stored.

• 6. Re: Found a clue that may explain lag in MW3

That is kind of interesting.  I wonder specifically what it's for.  It theoretically shouldn't be the cause for the lag though as It's the host that sets up the game that other players connect to.  However, and a big however, if it's where some of the actual game servers are, it MAY explain the absolutely terrible matchmaking as it can't get accurate ping times to set up decent games, which in turn solves 90% of the lag problems in this game.  Considering the number of people that play this game, there should be no reason whatsoever for some of the ping times in these games, yet the server continues to pair people in Maine with people in Cali.  Guess what it may not be that far in relative terms, but you are talking a good 30-50% (or significantly more) ping increase connecting with hosts across the country.  And, the game continues to do it match after match, making it miserable for anyone too far away.

And, sorry for the ignorance but I am speaking strictly in the U.S here.

• 7. Re: Found a clue that may explain lag in MW3
    dastealth

Rather than blocking the port you could try blocking the IP range

• 8. Re: Found a clue that may explain lag in MW3

at a guess i would say that demonware is something to do with XBOX live security

which is why everybody will connect but it will be slowing you down the further away which is why europeans like you say dont suffer nearly as much

• 9. Re: Found a clue that may explain lag in MW3
    trialstardragon

It is probably scripted to try multiple routes to call home to prevent being blocked by normal means.

You could always try and block the ip using a wildcard blocking all of the last three numbers and see what happens.

And or create a rule in the firewal that blocks all ports but the ones listed as ok, so no matter what it tried it would be blocked.

1 2 3 Previous Next