45 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2012 8:25 PM by gallp13 RSS

Why the grammar?

Rednecksniper39

Just wondering why people on the forums seem to be so worried about grammar. I mean I understand if people are messing their words up severely but if they leave out a letter here or there why is it such a big deal?

• Re: Why the grammar?
    xbevz

Did you not know they're all perfect and never make mistakes.

Personally, if the post is gibberish and/or a common complaint with no redeeming qualities, I will make fun of the posters grammar to TROLL THEM. Im not a fan of correcting grammar to correct grammar.

Rednecksniper39

Like I said I understand when you can't understand anything. but say if I'm just typing and not paying attention and spell sorry "soory" simple mistake and you forget to hit spell check. or when you do hit spell check and it says words are correct and its just the wrong word. I just don't understand why people think this is a college exam and everything has to be perfect.

W7PSK

translated it for you so the grammar police will be delighted to have

some meaning in their life.

Like ah said ah unnerstan' when yo' kin't unnerstan' ennythin'. but say eff'n ah's jest typin' an' not payin' attenshun an' spell so'ry "sorey" simple mistake an' yo' fo'git t'hit spell check.  Shet mah mouth! o' when yo' does hit spell check an' it says wo'ds is co'reck an' its jest th' wrong wo'd, cuss it all t' tarnation. ah jest doesn't unnerstan' whuffo' varmints reckon this hyar is a college exam an' ev'rythin' has t'be puffick.

The grammar police have been on every forum I've ever been on. I just ignore them. It's to the point that if they start there reply by pointing out someones grammar, I skip them all together. They may have something useful to say, but I refuse to sift through the BS to get to it.

yovlud

Because most of the time they are trying to insult someone.  If you are trying to insult someone and spell like you are in 1st grade, you look like a complete idiot. 

My personal favorite..."Your dumb".

Rednecksniper39

that is a good point. i just hate it when your trying to have a nice little debate with someone and they get onto the grammar subject. i just see that as their way of giving up in the debate

rankismet

Rednecksniper39 wrote:

Just wondering why people on the forums seem to be so worried about grammar. I mean I understand if people are messing their words up severely but if they leave out a letter here or there why is it such a big deal?

Why is it so difficult for people to take the time to organize their thoughts in such a way they can be read?

There is an always on spell check, for Pete's sake.

To me... if this is how you organize your thoughts when you have time, I shudder to think how inarticulate you would be face to face.

Rednecksniper39

not everyone knows about the spell check though

rankismet

Rednecksniper39 wrote:

not everyone knows about the spell check though

Come on... the "abc checkmark" in the corner isn't obvious?

But if they don't... they have no attention to detail and I'm willing to bet they have no clue about how the game functions either.

I'll be honest... it goes towards credibility to me.

Rednecksniper39

some people just never look though. getting your point across is important and all but i hate nothing more than some who says your logic is bad just because you left out one comma.

rankismet

Rednecksniper39 wrote:

some people just never look though. getting you point across is important and all but i hate nothing more than some who says your logic is bad just because you left out one comma.

Reality is... they often times go hand in hand and I generally save it for when the lack of a comma is indicative of the poorly constructed thought.

And I'll be honest...

... I correct people on these forums more than any two people I know.

W7PSK

you sound better translated

rankismet wrote:

Why is it so difficult for people to take the time to organize their thoughts in such a way they can be read?

There is an always on spell check, for Pete's sake.

To me... if this is how you organize your thoughts when you have time, I shudder to think how inarticulate you would be face to face.

Like ah said ah unnerstan' when yo' kin't unnerstan' ennythin'. but say eff'n ah's jest Whuffo' is it so difficult fo' varmints t'take th' time t'o'ganize their thunks in sech a way they kin be read?

Thar is an allus on spell check, fo' Pete's sake.

To me... eff'n this hyar is how yo' o'ganize yer thunks when yo' haf time, ah shudder t'reckon how inarticulate yo''d be face t'face.

rankismet

W7PSK wrote:

you sound better translated

Like ah said ah unnerstan' when yo' kin't unnerstan' ennythin'. but say eff'n ah's jest Whuffo' is it so difficult fo' varmints t'take th' time t'o'ganize their thunks in sech a way they kin be read?

Thar is an allus on spell check, fo' Pete's sake.

To me... eff'n this hyar is how yo' o'ganize yer thunks when yo' haf time, ah shudder t'reckon how inarticulate yo''d be face t'face.

Prefer this one...

Why iz it so difficult fo' niggas ta take da tyme ta organize they thoughts in such uh way dey can be read?

dere iz an always on spell check, fo' Pete's sake.

ta me... if dis here iz how you organize yo' thoughts when you gots tyme, ah shudder ta think how inarticulate you would be face ta face with muh beeotch

gallp13

1. It seems to genuinely bug some folks so they comment.

2. Others use it to discredit a respondents arguement on the oft times incorrect basis that their spelling or grammar is poor, so the logic of their arguement is likely poor.This tactic is of course, hollow.

Actually most of the time it's people whining about camping, weapon overpoweredness, and other non-issues that use poor grammar.

To be honest if you're going to complain about an issue, it's pretty important to establish yourself as at least somewhat educated and taking the time to write out an easily readable thread.

Do I go around correcting people's small mistakes? No. But I do care if a person puts the time into writing a thread that I can read easily and it affects my view of the topic.

Honestly, we all miss a letter here and there as well as punctuation and that doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me are the post's that completely assault the English language. The post's that contain a bunch of misspellings, bad punctuation and run on sentences of gibberish. It usually indicates that the person posting is either very young and therefore having no business playing this game or very angry, in which case his/her argument is usually just the result of a bad game. If neither of these apply then the poster should be spending more time learning English and less time playing the game and posting about it. In which case I would be doing him/her a favor by pointing it out.

I'm an advocate for proper grammar and sentence structure merely because it is the easiest way to project the correct meaning to the OPs post.

If you use correct spelling and sentence structure, then you are more likely to get your point across.

cranium2001

I grew up with an old school Grandfather. He moved to the states when he was 18 years old and he always preached proper grammar. If you wore a hat in his house he knocked it off your head. It's kind of a respect thing in my opinion. At least that's what my Grandfather taught me. I still make mistakes though.

The thing is, this isn't twitter or texting. You aren't limited to 140 characters or a phone keyboard. You have a full keyboard in front of you and this is a forum. The point of forums is to have intelligent discussions about topics and in the case of this one, get messages of issues across to IW.

Obviously this applies mostly to the people who make threads "this game is camp friendly" reading "in this game its to easy 2 camp I almost got a moab but people were sitting in a corner and if you dont fix it im gonna go play bf3 so enjoy losing a customer" rather than people who write a mostly intelligent post and make a small error.

Rednecksniper39

you know your right this isn't texting but if your like me and your in the generation that has grown up with texting being a huge part of your life you just get so used to shortening things. You should see some of my rough drafts for my college papers. they are full of random shortened words.

rankismet

Rednecksniper39 wrote:

you know your right this isn't texting but if your like my and your in the generation that has grown up with texting being a huge part of your life you just get so used to shortening things. You should see some of my rough drafts for my college papers. they are full of random shortened words.

So, now you're saying... ignore it because they're used to sounding dumber than my last poo?

Ever hear of the phrase, "Brevity is the soul of wit?"

Sorry... people need to expand their vocabularies to be able to use a single word to project their thoughts and meaning versus mistyping six words to say the same thing.

I know... I'm asking too much.

I mean I'll admit I'll use contractions, because contractions make it seem as if you're speaking, but consistently using the incorrect form of words (to/too, your/you're, etc.), and doing things like writing run on sentences just shows laziness.

rankismet

Esy wrote:

I mean I'll admit I'll use contractions, because contractions make it seem as if you're speaking, but consistently using the incorrect form of words (to/too, your/you're, etc.), and doing things like writing run on sentences just shows laziness.

Absolutely... you can tell when some is writing in an informal style or in the vernacular.

It's lazy and stupid that bugs me.

Be lazy... or stupid.

... don't be both.

Rednecksniper39 wrote:

Here's my take on the grammar crew

I've been on these forums for 3 years, with over 7,000 posts (main account is banned) so I speak with authority on the subject

American's are the only people that correct anyone......noone else on the planet cares.....I'm not sure why that is, but it's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but.

Gump

As long as the point is conveyed, grammar and spelling don't matter to me.  I do think people are going to put a little more value in your opinion if you come across somewhat properly.

Obviously if you write,"OMG I iz amazin, ur r da worst", then I'm not going to read the rest of the post.

downingeffect wrote:

As long as the point is conveyed, grammar and spelling don't matter to me.  I do think people are going to put a little more value in your opinion if you come across somewhat properly.

Obviously if you write,"OMG I iz amazin, ur r da worst", then I'm not going to read the rest of the post.

But you should, it's a forum, despite the style that people may type in......some do have a point.

Most people will ignore the way it is typed and read it for what it is.........if they have a point...comment on the thread....if they don't, ignore it.....no need to comment on grammar or spelling....that makes you very very very sad indeed

Gump

Rednecksniper39

im going to have to agree with everything you said.

rankismet

yalikethat wrote:

downingeffect wrote:

But you should, it's a forum, despite the style that people may type in......some do have a point.

Most people will ignore the way it is typed and read it for what it is.........if they have a point...comment on the thread....if they don't, ignore it.....no need to comment on grammar or spelling....that makes you very very very sad indeed

Gump

ICWHUTUDIDTHAR...

I think people correct each other's words, because they want the upper hand in a debate. It is just another fallacy. You can be sophisticated and immature at the same time.

Because there is a difference in meaning conveyed sometimes.

Go help your Uncle, Jack, off the horse.

Go help your uncle jack off the horse.

r8edtripx

Spelling shouldn't be corrected, because everyone has the spell-check button.

...but there are two things that people eff up all the time, and I think they should be corrected to save them some embarrassment later on in life.

1. It's "I USED to play..."   NOT   "I use to play..." - This one I'll only correct if the guy used it incorrectly more than once, because it's easy to miss the letter "d" if you're typing fast.

2. It's "I COULDN'T care less."   NOT   "I could care less." -

I honestly don't think that grammar matters at all on the forum, as long as you do well enough that people can understand what you're saying. People tend to start pointing out grammar once they find themselves either on the losing side of an argument or unable to think of a better comeback. It's at that point that I will gladly point out any mistakes from someone already correcting another person, ie the "soory" that was mentioned above. I'm proud of that one

I really shouldn't.  If you are too lazy/incompetent to present your opinions in a reasonably proper manner, I will assume that that you place no real value in conveying your message.  If you don't care, I won't care.

Basically if arranging basic sentences is too much effort for you to go through in order to communicate, you shouldn't expect anyone to waste their time trying to read it. 

Let's eat, Grandma.

Lets eat grandma.

Remember - good grammar prevents cannablism.

nuttin2say

Everyone makes grammatical mistakes. Yes, that's true.

But some effort needs to show through what a person posts. I think that's all anyone asks for. If a post shows no effort at being readable, I just don't even bother reading it anymore.

Well, there is one other thing I'd like to see:

If you're going to post that others are stupid becauset they do not have the same point of view that you have, you need to make sure you're perfect in every way.

A certain level of smack talk can be expected, I get that, because games are competitive by nature.But don't smack talk and make yourself look like an idiot in the process.

That's like Madonna today saying that other singer was immature for flipping off the audience during the superbowl. Really? Madonna is going to call out others for doing something controversial???

markocc

i just h8 wen preteens type like this without any periods commas question marks and spell ridiculously easy words like looser wrong i also h8 wen they intentionally spell words wrong like wud wut kno wen and thou for though i also h8 wen They Type With A Capital Letter At The Start Of Each Word For No Apparent Reason it makes my eyes bleed