45 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2012 2:47 PM by Dropshot935 RSS

We the people must force LAG COMPENSATION out of game. Here's how...

If they arn't going to fix this issue in a timely manner lets force it upon them.

NOTE: This would not violate any ToS, just simulating a busy household network environment

I'm going to try this tonight threw multiple means and see if any have results... I can only assume this has already been covered in detail by networking GURU's but I'll give my 2 cents. (You can find delay related videos on youtube, I've heard)

I'm going to start with...

Netflix streaming on pc, while downloading mass amount of torrents on both of my PC's.

Taking my NAT to moderate (This would surely prevent pulling host)

Remove port forwards.

Go wireless with XBOXslim.

Take xbox out of DMZ.

Change static google DNS server to one that traces more hops. (Oh say some DNS in the middle east)

Maybe this will solve my problem and I can go back to having K/D games that I had in all the other CoD's

Someone mentioned that when playing solo they didn't have any problems, I find this to be true as well. This should be the answer to our problems, it's a MULTIPLAYER game.

See if we can't all earn the perks of being lag compensated and make the games a crawl, and see what the dev team does then.

• Re: We the people must force LAG COMPENSATION out of game. Here's how...

You will probably just make it worse/get kicked out of the lobby because you are lagging out. I agree, the game sucks as of late. Frustrating to play. Hit markers with striker from point blank. Hit markers from a sniper in HC. Etc. I think Ill play another game for a week or two and come back and see how it is then.

Arq0s

We definately need to find a solution to this lag problem. However if everyone goes your route it might get a lot worse for people playing this game. If they dont do something soon though more and more people will start throttling their connection. I dont want to make my connection worse just so i can be better at this game, it should be done on the backend ...

We need to start a Mass Protest ... Everyone should make a new thread and it should be titled ... FIX THE LAG !!!  - just pages and pages of fix the god damn lag... maybt they will finally get the point.

So you are going to lag an already laggy gameplay even more? You are only affecting the people that play the game not the people that made it...uh...not going to fix anything.

Also, when they are tweaking the lag comp they will see it wrong because you and others that are doing this are making it even more out of whack. I don't get it.

budroux wrote:

So you are going to lag an already laggy gameplay even more? You are only affecting the people that play the game not the people that made it...uh...not going to fix anything.

Also, when they are tweaking the lag comp they will see it wrong because you and others that are doing this are making it even more out of whack. I don't get it.

Agreed.

If you are going to do all that just for a game. Ask yourself is it really worth playing the game to begin with?

colrolo wrote:

budroux wrote:

Agreed.

If you are going to do all that just for a game. Ask yourself is it really worth playing the game to begin with?

It sure as heck isn't worth playing right now anyways, why not make an attempt that helps make it work right sooner than later.

This is exactly my point, it's to throw unexpected variables into their lag compensation, and when they have to revisit the issue of lag compensation, they will be right there and ready to FIX the freaking problem.

If it's going to take them 9 months to patch the lag problem, and tomorrow 300,000 people crippled their inet to get the compensation, the variable has be altered greatly.

that6uy420

yet they won't be able to fix it because of you and yours antics causing them to get false readings.

The best case outcome would be for the devs to remove any intentional host disadvantages and to restrain any potentially excessive advantages given to poor connections.

If the devs do that, and then advertise the change, then people would stop intentionally hindering their connections to get poor connection advantages.  At that point, the devs could finally see what real world conditions and issues are being faced.

That's the issue that the devs face now.  They are trying to tweak and adjust a system with blind shots in the dark.  They don't know what users are doing to connections to get advantages, and which are just users suffering.  They admit to having added a bunch of features and new things to keep track of, stressing the net code, but don't know if that is a breaking issue.  They've made and are making changes to a code base that they likely don't fully understand, as the people who originally wrote the code (and even modified it for the last game) may be gone.

They not only have no clue what is causing problems, they aren't even sure what problems actually exist.  The devs have claimed they haven't experienced the problems that forum members here claim to have experienced.  When the devs asked for in-game video recordings in combination with theater recordings (so that they could actually analyze the differences), they supposedly got zero submissions.

After three months, repeatedly taking shots in the dark has not worked.  It is time for them to simplify things, removing some variables from the equations, so that they can build back towards the "fair for all" ideal (which they hopefully, but I fear that they don't, realize is unobtainable.)

Heck, considering all the other problems that Modern Warfare 3 has seen, it could turn out that some of the "lag comp" complaints aren't even being caused by the lag comp system, but rather issues in other systems.  (I, and a few others, have mentioned sometimes seeing some issues similar to online problems in the offline split-screen.  Offline split-screen shouldn't be running any lag comp.)

kholland65

Lag comp as well as your everyday ping is too inconsistant to really try and come up with a viable solution. I hate lag and lag comp as much as the next person But while lagging your connection may help you in one game and can severely hurt you in the next. I've tried running torrents but it only made things worse because I was dipping into yellow and red bar. Lag comp on your side doesn't mean anything if your rubberbanding around the map.

My suggestion is to do what I do. Stay in the lobbies where you are doing good (i.e. 28-5) and you can tell your bullet registration is spot on, and leave the lobbies where you are doing bad (i.e. 11-20) and your dying from everyones first bullet or its taking entire clips to kill people. You may find yourself jumping 3 or 4 lobbies before you find a good one. Some people may frown upon leaving games, but frankly I just play the hand I'm dealth and with MW3 it seems to be a necessity so I'm not ashamed or scared to do it.

kholland65 wrote:

Lag comp as well as your everyday ping is too inconsistant to really try and come up with a viable solution. I hate lag and lag comp as much as the next person But while lagging your connection may help you in one game and can severely hurt you in the next. I've tried running torrents but it only made things worse because I was dipping into yellow and red bar. Lag comp on your side doesn't mean anything if your rubberbanding around the map.

My suggestion is to do what I do. Stay in the lobbies where you are doing good (i.e. 28-5) and you can tell your bullet registration is spot on, and leave the lobbies where you are doing bad (i.e. 11-20) and your dying from everyones first bullet or its taking entire clips to kill people. You may find yourself jumping 3 or 4 lobbies before you find a good one. Some people may frown upon leaving games, but frankly I just play the hand I'm dealth and with MW3 it seems to be a necessity so I'm not ashamed or scared to do it.

Thats a good idea but theres to many rage quitting hosts. Stuck changing games all the time, so annoying, but very good point!

avengedyesterday

Removing lag comp wont fix anything, infact it would cause more lag for the majority of players.

What activision or whoever works on the servers should do instead of screwing the people that do host games over is redo the ping system intead of jumping from 50ms ping to 100ms ping and so on why don't they do something sort of like how special ops does it by going from 50ms ping to 55ms ping to 60ms ping to try and compensate for the over powering of other connections to others.  Maybe do somthing like 50ms ping to 60ms ping and try and find host and other people in the lobbies connection close to your download and upload speeds cause this also plays a role

I am also a gamer who have seen dramatic drops in my gameplay and greater increases of lag.  I am just tired of seeing the same setups of how you are put into a lobby.  They tell you they fix it but it doesn't seem like it when how you are thrown into a lobby stays the same and how the gameplay is also the same where I feel like a piece of paper and the enemy is like a brick.

This is a bump because I finally got around to trying it...

I streamed Netflix Hulu and 5-6tabs of youtube seasonal episodes. Using two different computers. The game was wayyyyyyy easier to play.

Some Youtube commentator said disabling theater mode helps a ton. I might just do that, I never have a reason to use any clips. Makes sense that it would reduce lag.

r8edtripx

I started to stream things on my my PC and other console so I wouldn't pull host too, but then head of an easier way.

I changed my Manual Uplink Speed on my router from 1024kbps to 500kbps. Works great.

I don't think all routers have this option. Mine is a D-Link DIR-628

ADVANCED ---> QOS ENGINE ---> WAN TRAFFIC SHAPING and then change your settings.

Good Luck.

Even assuming your pleas reached enough people to make an impact (which it wont) you will just make it worse since they would start trying to tweak the lag compensation based on how the game is playing with all that going on.  In other words you'd make it impossible for them to actually even fix it.  Plus I tried doing some extreme b/w limiting just to see if it did anything and the game wasn't any more or less playable than it was without doing so.  Which makes me think all the people that claim doing such things is some kind of miracle fix are suffering from the placebo effect.

You do realise that lag comp has been in EVERY CoD, not to mention every other FPS ever created, don't you?

It just needs fixed, thats all, because I can guarantee you; without lag comp you would most likely be MUCH worse off.

nickdiddy

Unfortunately, Infinity Ward doesn't care about this game or us. Thats why there has not been a single thing fixed with this game as of yet. I can think of a dozen problems (lag being the worst) with this game that need to be fixed, and have been suggested by thousands of people in this forum. Nothing will ever be fixed because Infinity Ward is NOT like Treyarch (whom supported Black Ops). They wont fix the lag because they dont see at as broken....well that and the fact that they will not support this game. You will NEVER see an update with fixes for any of the many problems with this game. Black ops was broken at first, but Treyarch was a far better company and fixed a lot of things that people didnt like. Infinity Ward sucks and just doesnt care. I feel ripped off for buying this shitty game from this shitty company.

PS: I'm certain that they dont read ANYTHING on this forum.

yep i agree just here lately i've been haven bad lagg comp i can get in to a game and the timer start's counting down it reach's one andthe server time's out or i can be in the middle of a game the lagg will be so bad it'l lag the lobbie out.

If you want them to recognize the community you need to be more organized and work as a group (very unlikely since you can't get a team of randoms to PTFO). Try to get everyone to not play this game on a certain day, like 2-22-12, or 3-3-12.  It'll let IW know a significant portion of the community is tired of the BS.

All you really going to accomplish with your idea is loads of lag and timeouts on your end.

If you really want to force them to do something then hit them in the only place it hurts.

DONT BUY THEIR DLC until they fix the damn game.

I also think there is damn near zero chance this game will ever be fixed because there is something fundamentally wrong with it (probably Elite tracking but they can't get rid of that cash cow). They knew the game was broken before release but had a deadline to hit so they decided to screw over countless millions of customers and release an unfinished and broken game.

your about as intelligent as that guy on the news a few weeks ago "man video tapes himelf  starving his dog, and doesnt give it water for 3 weeks, to prove a point that animal cruelty is wrong, this man is now in custody."

I simply use QoS and network throttling....solves my problems

basically I put my ps3 on its own vlan and segment a certain amount of allowable bandwith to the ps3. 10mb down and 700kbps up lol......sad but lag comp starts to work in my favor....

but ya we shouldnt have to do this...mw2 worked just fine imo without lag comp (noob toobs/oma/commando/last stand is a totally different story though)

trialstardragon

You do realize that every and I mean every online console fps game ever made has had lag compensation within it. They will never remove lag compenstation from the game.

Dropshot935

Down with lag comp! Good to see you guys on Xbox hating it too. I have good Internet and this game BSs me all the time. I'm on Playstation 3 too, where lag comp is worse because IW is a shitty dev. Uncharted 3 doesn't have dedicated servers, but the gameplay is so smooth. Runs at half the frames of Call of Duty too, but way better. And better graphics than anything you guys have seen on Xbox.