37 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 11:08 PM by ZaTaisho RSS

⌈Black Ops 2⌋ Ideal Perk System

ZaTaisho

Hello everyone! I posted this perk system in the Black Ops section, however, I didn't get a single reply, and I would gladly appreciate people to not just look at the perk system, but to reply. I love to hear what you guys have to say.

What I have here are perk ideas, however they are put into a system to hopefully give the community and the developers (if they see this hopefully) ideas on what kind of balance we would want to see in the next Call of Duty game. Knowing Treyarch's habits, they will tend to take ideas from a previous Call of Duty game from Infinity Ward and adding into their game with a few additions to make it their own (not hating you Treyarch ). I have gathered information from all Call of Duty games (mostly MW3 and Black Ops) to create this Perk System.

The perk system is designed to work with my ideas on what the next game should include:

* Up button (D-pad) selects  Equipment (just like in Black Ops)

* Down button (D-pad) cycles through earned Killstreaks (1 way cycle)

* Start with 1 Lethal grenade, 1 Tactical grenade, and 1 Equipment (instead of having 2 Tacticals)

* Strike Package similarities are added into the game (Killstreaks, Pointstreaks, Gunstreaks)

Click on the links below to view desired chart:

= Ideal Perk System =

= Proficiency Chart =

Black Ops Style

= Ideal Perk System = ~ {Updated}

PLEASE tell me what could or should be added, replaced, changed, removed, or fixed.

If you have an idea of your own, please comment below!!!!

• Re: ⌈Black Ops 2⌋ Ideal Perk System

I'm gonna be honest most of the time when people post these sorts of things they are terrible. But i really think you have something here. I can't find any flaws. It seems very balanced. Well done sir. +1 to you.

Treyarch hire this guy!

rankismet

ZaTaisho wrote:

Hello everyone! I posted this perk system in the Black Ops section, however, I didn't get a single reply, and I would gladly appreciate people to not just look at the perk system, but to reply. I love to hear what you guys have to say.

What I have here are perk ideas, however they are put into a system to hopefully give the community and the developers (if they see this hopefully) ideas on what kind of balance we would want to see in the next Call of Duty game. Knowing Treyarch's habits, they will tend to take ideas from a previous Call of Duty game from Infinity Ward and adding into their game with a few additions to make it their own (not hating you Treyarch ). I have gathered information from all Call of Duty games (mostly MW3 and Black Ops) to create this Perk System.

The perk system is designed to work with my ideas on what the next game should include:

* Up button (D-pad) selects  Equipment (just like in Black Ops)

* Down button (D-pad) cycles through earned Killstreaks (1 way cycle)

* Start with 1 Lethal grenade, 1 Tactical grenade, and 1 Equipment (instead of having 2 Tacticals)

* Strike Package similarities are added into the game (Killstreaks, Pointstreaks, Gunstreaks)

Click on the links below to view desired chart:

= Ideal Perk System =

= Proficiency Chart =

PLEASE tell me what could or should be added, replaced, changed, removed, or fixed.

If you have an idea of your own, please comment below!!!!

I would drop proficiencies in BO2, personally.

As to the perks... they seem okay but it would really depend on what the kill/pointstreaks are and how many it takes to earn it.

It just seems to me you have an issue with previous iterations of CB, Ghost, and BE/Assassin and want just a UAV Jammer.

I doubt we will see proficiencies in 3arc's game anyway . To the OP you have to make the Perk system appealing to all player styles regardless of personal opinions of certain perks or styles of play . It looks like you have taylored these to what suits your style,

Just my opinion but the perks system in BO was near perfect; just two flaws we all know second chance pro was a bad move evan Vahn himself admited that one and forceing me to play Cap the flag would make me hate this game at times but i would be pretty Happy to see the same sort of line up in BO minus second chance and a game mode forced upon me.

ZaTaisho

I'll be updating these perks so that it becomes a balanced Ideal Perk System for all.

I will keep the system with proficiencies in-game, and I will create another link that shows only the Perk system without proficiencies added in-game.

I'll post again, once I've updated the discussion with the link to the perk system without proficiencies added.

= Additional Comment =

Thanks to those who replied and given their thoughts to my perk system. I really do appreciate it!

craftyshot

There's a place off Ocean Avanue...

Damn, you made a better perk system than the developers.

Though, Profs. are just a fourth perk and I would drop that. It is just a lame concept that was just a total copypasta from old perks like Deep Impact, Iron Lungs, Hardened Pro, and so on.

My 2 cents.

Deadeye have too many immunities compared to Phantom. Deadeye has 8 (6 killstreaks, inferred, and jammers) while phantom has 1 (Spy Planes) and I really don't think no name/crosshair really makes that up. I'd give Phantom immunity to the counter spy plan instead.

While on Phantom, Recon is truly the only counter to Phantom so giving phantom reduced effects from recon is essentially giving Phantom a counter to its counter.

fisheadz

i like this [black ops perk] good call mate

only things imo

dead eye - enemy air support - pro, extra bullet damage faster launcher lock on

phantom -  uav                      - pro, sentries an thermal

scav       - ammo an tac         - gren, equp, an tubes [if enemy was carrying]

slight      - faster reload          - pro, faster weapon swap

reflex      - faster aim             - faster aim after sprint

hardened - penetration           - reduce flinch

lightweight - sprint longer       - climb, no fall damage

lose acrobat an replace with marksman

marksman - identify target - pro hold breath longer

steady aim - increase hip fire - pro faster gren, tactical equip use

i would give no red name to the guille suit, remove quickscoping but give them the no red name to balance it, so they get stealth camo an concealment [the point of a sniper]

its all pretty much what you had jus slight rearrage, tryin to keep the related playstle 'perks' together. switching weapons is sorta like reloading, faster aiming walkin, pro +after running ect ect

lightweight, move faster imo shouldnt happen, claymores bettys ect are next to useless, stalker-delay, sit rep-can see them, smg shotty ect jus run straight past them

they should get killed if they dont have the delay or see them.

lose proficiencys, lose any knife lunge, a knife should be cancelled out if any bullets hit. a knife should not beat bullets

scav, is pretty rubbish as is, extra mags pro ?? what for i jus pick up lil blue bags anyway. pro replace everything if the enemy had it inc launcher ammo

imo steady aim should be for smg r&g not qs, [which you say faster aim excluding scopes] so why pro it by identify targets an hold breathe longer ? smgs would not benefit from this. r&g s/a pro equip gren use recovery, more suited to that playstyle

give snipers marksman for 3rd tier perk

lose the damage drop off on lmgs, mw3 all they are is a hugely unaccurate, slow assault rifle with a big magazine

all sniper rifles should be a head/body ohk, balace rof by mobility

as said mate jus my opinion on a few lil things. you done good there mate

ZaTaisho

I've updated the Black Ops Style Perk System!

Not much of a change, but I re-arranged some abilities and added another or two.

Here are my reasons on why I didn't change some ideas given to me:

= My Reasons =

*Phantom : I've added the ability to become invisible to IR scopes, seeing this IS a stealth perk, however, I didn't remove the ability to remove red crosshairs and name when targeted because it's still a stealth perk. Assassin/Ghost perks have always been a popular choice and yet a very powerful choice. The reason is because people like to not only to stay off the radar, but so they could camp in a little corner, waiting for players to walk right into them for a free kill. Even though the abilities don't look that powerful for Phantom, but staying off the radar from Spy Planes and such is a huge advantage. Any other ability to hide from dogs, sentries, IR scopes, etc... creates the same mistakes as Ghost/Cold-Blooded.

*DeadEye : I've kept the immunity of Counter Spy Planes and Jammers because this can be very useful to find aircrafts that are in the air through your mini-map, plus I didn't add the ability to deal extra damage to killstreaks and sentries. The reason why is because you have the Hardened perk to do that for you. With Hardened in Tier 2, you are able to choose if you want to deal more damage against killstreaks or, for example, choose Sleight of Hand to shoot more bullets, but reload faster to shoot it down if you're not using Hardened.

*Scavenger : I do agree that Scavenger should resupply launchers IF only if the fallen enemy has had the same launcher you are using. Scavenger doesn't really need a buff nor a nerf because no one really complained about it. It's not overpowered and it's not underpowered (except in MW3). The only thing I want to complain about is that players start out with 1 Lethal and 1 Tactical grenades instead of having 2 Tacticals. I say this because this promotes spamming one after the other over and over again. If players would like to use multiple grenades, they will have to use Scavenger (to replenish more grenades), Warlord (to increase amount to 2 Lethals and Tacticals) or use both, making your main class a grenade spammer.

*Sleight of Hand / Reflex : I do see that allowing to switch weapons faster for SoH makes sense, because you are switching to another weapon with ammo already at your disposal...plus it can be good when you are caught off guard while reloading. I didn't add the ability to swich weapons faster into SoH because it doesn't need it. If I were to make it so that SoH had the ability to swich weapons faster and have Reflex make you ADS faster while still having an ability to ready your weapon faster after sprint, then Reflex becomes the dominant perk, making it also the go-to perk because this allows the player to fight against players 1st reguardless. If you think about it, Relfex is all about reflex, so using this perk should mean to allow you to become ready faster once in an engagement. So if you look at Reflex's abilities first, the default ability is to become ready faster after sprint (because we all know that when sprinting, it takes longer to fight back when you have to wait for your weapon to be ready to shoot again). The PRO abilties are to swap weapons faster (because without Sleight of Hand to speed up the reloads, you will need to swap to the next weapon to save yourself when you are off guard), and Quicker melee recovery (because you all hate those panic knifers, but it is a reflex ability for real). For Sleight of Hand abilities, we all know this is during combat abilities, meaning allowing you to reload faster during combat is crucial, allowing you to ready your weapon with ammo to get back into the fight, and to ADS faster, allowing you to quickly get into target.

*Lightweight : Lightweight isn't that bad of a perk, but is still useful for strafing while in a firefight. We all know this perk is a nice way to bypass claymores and triggered equipment, however, even with the ability to see equipment with Saboteur or don't trigger equipment at all with Prowler, Lightweight is given the player to evade engagements, avoding trouble or just to get to one side of the map quicker. This might look bad how it's in Tier 2 instead of Tier 1 where Phantom and all the Protective perks are, but this is the cost on how you will engage battles for not using any other perks from Tier 2 that have more benefits to fight back during a fight.

*Steady Aim / Scout (Marksman) : So I took out the Steady Aim perk for 1 reason: 1) David Vonderhaar said in one of his tweets saying that it would be a wise decision that Steady Aim or perks to enhance weapons to be removed. In my opinion, I agree. I think that weapo enhancements should only be used for attachments, because that's what attachments do, they enhance the weapon of your choice. I went ahead and removed Steady Aim and replaced it with Scout or Marksman for that matter.

vims1990

Have you added this to the Black Ops Feedback Thread?

I'm sure someone like Vahn would be interested in your perk system.

To be honest, I don't see any flaws in your perk system or useless perk like Scout in Black Ops. I like the idea of placing Dead Eye & Phantom in the same perk tier as it gives players a choice in whether they want to be immune to UAV's or immune to Air Support/Sentries.

thebiindsniper

I think a good idea, would be to add a new "dynamic" perk system.  It works as follows:

*Equip a perk's primary ability first

*Equip a perk's secondary ability after

*You can mix the primary and secondary perk abilities, however, primary abilities are the most powerful.

*Examples:

Primary - Flak Jacket - Increased explosive resistance

Secondary - Scavenger - Increased starting ammo

Primary - Hardline - 1 less point required for rewards

Secondary - Assassin - Immune to CUAV, EMP, Thermal, and no red name.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

http://www.youtube.com/ruggedsavior

ZaTaisho

I REALLY like that idea you have there about the perks.

That can be a GREAT addition to a COD series, however how can that implement into the game?

Would it become a Strike Package similarity or something else?

thebiindsniper

In your custom class, when you select perks, it's very similar to selecting your primary and secondary weapons.  Only this time, you can mix and match em.

The idea came from the Ninja and Sitrep abilities, and how they changed from Black Ops to MW3.  Some people like Sitrep, while others liked Ninja better.  So why not give them the choice? 

Either have silent footsteps (Dead Silence Primary), while hearing louder ones (Sitrep Secondary). Or Detecting equipment (Sitrep Primary), and hearing louder footsteps (Sitrep Secondary).

~RUGGED SAVIOR

http://www.youtube.com/ruggedsavior

reaper2792

Its' shocking how much thought people put into their ideas for a future COD game. The wall of texts are overpowered in this thread.

dtuchpunk

It's not ideal. You can't make a stealth classe.

ZaTaisho

Think of DEADEYE in the perk system not play as a stealth perk. Think of only becoming invisible to Players is stealth, although I do understand that Sentries and stuff are part of stealth, but I guess you can say that it brings in realism. For example, if you were to infiltrate a building or area, you would use your stealth skills to hide from people and make sure that security cams don't see your presence. Even though this is hard to evade the presence of Killstreaks, it still gives players a chance to choose what specific role they wish to choose, without having EVERYTHING at their disposal.

reaper2792

ZaTaisho wrote:

Think of DEADEYE in the perk system not play as a stealth perk. Think of only becoming invisible to Players is stealth, although I do understand that Sentries and stuff are part of stealth, but I guess you can say that it brings in realism. For example, if you were to infiltrate a building or area, you would use your stealth skills to hide from people and make sure that security cams don't see your presence. Even though this is hard to evade the presence of Killstreaks, it still gives players a chance to choose what specific role they wish to choose, without having EVERYTHING at their disposal.

Playing stealth in COD is just not realistic. People like these games because of the constant, fast paced action. Could you imagine playing a TDM game where everybody is on stealth mode? I would fall asleep.

perk ideas;

stuntman:  no fall damage

pro:shoot while dolphin diving, jump farther

marathon: sprint for a longer distance

pro: sprint for an even longer distance, reload while sprinting(press reload button again to cancel reload)

juggernaut: less flinch when shot at

pro: faster health regeneration after combat

eagle eye:spot enemy names from longer distances

pro:hold breath longer, less sway while aiming downsight, spot sun glint off of other sniper scopes occasionally

adrenaline: move faster when trying to escape death

pro:move faster when damaged by enemies or stunned

Double up: have 1 extra lethal and tactical grenade

pro: have double equipment(excluding jammers and motion sensors)

Lightweight:move faster

pro: climb all obstacles faster(ladders included), crawl faster when prone,

tactician: complete  allobjectives faster, capture flags 1.5x faster when SOLO capping

pro:silent objective captures and plants,

field focus: be much more aware of where shots are coming from when being fired at, be aware if cars and barrels are about to explode

pro: know where tactical and lethal grenades came from,delay cars and barrel explosions,

ninja:quite footsteps,reduce effects of field focus and detective

pro:silent equipment usage,louder enemy footsteps,

backstabber: no skull icon when enemies are stabbed in the back, eavesdrop on enemy team

pro: no skull icon when enemies die, enemies still appear on radar for other enemies shortly after dying

beserker: gain 3 selected perks until next kill or death when player gets "double kills" or higher

pro: keep 3 perks gained and faster movement speed until next 2 kills or death,

chemical warfare: immune to nova gas, nova gas does double amount of damage(too much?)

pro: reduce effects of tactical grenades, nova gas effect last 1.5x longer, tactical grenades do 1.5x more damage

Hardline: 1 less point required for pointstreaks

pro: select 3 pointstreaks player will never get in care packages, reroll care packages(only care packages), every 2 assists counts as 1 point towards your next pointstreak

lying in wait: booby trap pickable guns(idk how,any ideas?...maybe nova gas? i dont think booby trapping guns should be an instant kill so i think nova gas is good, it can kill lol),

pro: booby trap all care packages,hack enemy equipment

engineer: detect enemy equipment,no items of yours can be booby trapped or hacked

pro: equipment cant be jammed,turrets and other machinery have 1.5x armor(health),heartbeat and motion sensors still catch ghost pro

contractor: choose 2 pointstreaks under 10 with the same point requirement

pro: see all enemy pointreaks as they are being used, use pointstreaks faster

ghost:invisible to  UAV

pro:no shadow,invisible to heartbeat sensors and motion sensors

deep impact:deeper bullet penetration

pro:increase flinch on enemies, more damage on aircraft and vehicles

retaliation: reveal position of the enemy that killed you last for a short time(not on the radar but like in mw3 where there is a target dot over the enemies head,for like 2 seconds)

pro: reveal the position of enemies for a short time that killed your teammates within a radius of yourself, enemies cant view killcam for "payback" kills(so if u get a payback the enemy cant see the killcam)

recon:explosions mark enemies on mini map

pro:bullet damage marks enemies on mini map, detect throwing knives on mini map

detective: spot recent enemy footsteps on ground

pro: effect works better

quickdraw: ads faster

pro:use equipment faster, acces or use pointstreaks faster

this idea isnt a perk but what if the wheather on the maps changed. like it could be night time, day time, raining,snowing if it snows in that area.

these are my ideas

of course keep the perks like sleight of hand, ghost(dont over power it again :/) and flack jacket etc.

maybe some things should be switched around here

ZaTaisho

I like how you made your own perk ideas, but honestly, it's a bit too much and broken.

* There are no needs to increase the rate in which you capture/arm objectives because that can be edited through the game mechanics.

* Snipers and Shotguns will never have a perk to "Pump/Chamber faster" because it's called RAPID FIRE. The pumping/chambering is just to give the weapon's fire-rate, so no such perk I'm afraid.

* Playing dead...really?

* Using Deathstreaks in Perks...not a very bright idea since Perks are meant to be used all the time instead of only that time (that's why Last Stand/Second Chance was removed).

* Too many specific modifications with timing in each perk. Perks are only allowed a certain ability to be gained for a player equipped, not change the whole game into a clutter.

* Make it FAIR. You also have to realize that when building perk ideas (depending on the subject), you will have to think very hard on how it's going to effect gameplay, not just information alone (that never works).

* Dolphin Dive recoveries are a neat idea, however, again, everything needs a price to pay for each action you choose. I can understand if players were about to perform actions during a Dolphin Dive, but would then have to stop all performance when going into and landing. The ability to get up faster is nice, however, you would be seeing a bunch of people drop-shotting non-stop. It's bad enough already.

* I do like however your idea about "Field Focus". Even though it needs to be a bit "tweaked", but it's still a good idea. But again, that is still a Game Mechanic changer. It's an ability that's mainly up to how the developers make it.

ZaTaisho

Keep this thread ALIVE!

I still want to know what the community thinks of the Perk System I made.

Tell me if it's balanced or not!

faster recovery from sprint, infinite sprint, and scavenger in different tiers makes me happy cause that means you can use shotguns.

only problem is that i see is no steady aim which is ideal for shotguns with big spreads (like dual hs-10)

most perks sounds alright and useful. and i like how sleight of hand and recon are in same tier so you can't spam recon with quick throws too especially since scavenger and reduction of special grenades are in different tiers.

also i like the nice layout you used for the perks =)

These are some good ideas. Hopefully we something similar when the game comes out!
    Also, post some ideas on this site: http://www.blackops2forum.com/

alexjt22

Personally i would like to see something inovative in this area as perks were in COD4 for the next COD. I think most perks have been thought of and are hard to balence and the whole system is getting stale.

On a side note we might not see weapon perks/proficiencies in the next COD as Vahn tweeted that we would see greater gun balence, less OP weapons and diverisity in guns if perks and attachments that affect key abilities like ROF, less recoil and faster reloading, tighter hip spray, faster ADS ETC were removed. I personally think its a great move if that does happen as then a weapon cannot become an all rounder or dominate at certain ranges because of a perk they have added.

On to your list Its quite a good list but i think you have packed it too high with perks and some perks ahve alot of abilities and they are certain things treyarch do with there perks that you have done

If i was designing a perk system from what we have I think we should just have just 2 slots and a proficiency slot with Perk 1 which has the dominate and perks that deal with gear as such:

Assassin - Imune to Spy Plane, Blackbird & Motion Sensors - Pro - No Red Name untill targeted & Undetectable to Thermal Scopes

Blind Eye - Immune to Air Support & Sentries - Pro - No Red Square Around when Enemies are using user controlled streaks

Flak Jacket - Increased Explosive & Fire Resistance - Pro - Survive 1 Melee per life & Reset Pin on Grenades

Overkill - Equip 2 Primary Weapons - Pro - 1 Extra Lethal & Tactical Grenade

Hardline - 1 less point to reach your streaks - Pro - 2 Assist in TDM count as a Point/2 defends count as a point in Objective modes

Tactical Equipment - Resistant to flash & stun and immune to toxic gas - Pro - Counter UAV,Scrambler device and EMPs do not effect you or your mini map

And as a Perk 2 slot which would be all about special training/abilities i would have

Dead Silence - Your Movement & Actions are silent - Pro - Enemies movement and actions are louder

Recon - Bullet & Explosive Damage Paints Target on mini map for you and team mates using this perk - Pro - ID Target from long Range

Sit Rep - Enemy Equipment is highlighted - Pro - Enemy Pointstreaks are highlighted including spy planes and shows on mini map where impending airsupport is going to land for airstrikes etc

Extreme Conditioning - Extended Sprint - Pro - Climb Obstacles Faster & No Fall Damage

Marksman - Equip 2 Proficiencies - Pro - Equip 1 Extra Attachment

Proficiecies :

Kick - Less Recoil when firing

Stability - Reduced Sway

Quickdraw - Faster ADS

SOH - Faster Reloading

Speed - Faster movement

Agility - Faster Strafe Speed

Steady Aim - Increased Hip Fire Accuracy

Attachments - Equip an extra Attachment and enimies cannot pick up your weapon

Focus - Reduced Damage view kick and screen shake from killstreaks

Iron Lungs - Increased time holding breath

Reflex - Faster recovery from Knife swapping weapons and after sprinting

Bandoiler - Start off with Extra Ammo (more than possible now)

Deep Impact - Increased Bullet penatration & deal more damage to Killstreaks

ZaTaisho

I remember Vahn tweeting that awhile back.

I do agree that the perks to improve reload times, ADS, etc...should be removed, and all the other features.

I will think of another Perk System similar to your ideas. Thanks for the tweet reminder XD.