32 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 6:55 PM by Soap1337 RSS

The Stirring Discontent, and Why it Won't Discontinue Even With a Patch

I have been lurking the past few days (this forum and its termination of posts doesn't help), and I have seen a general trend in whatever forum-goers are saying. Be it Mr.Macmillan's blunt statements about the existance of support, or several others asking if it is possible to any longer have fun on this game, it appears that a discontent is building. Assuming that most of you agree with me, which I believe it is hard to disagree on this case, I want to postulate on what this discontent means.

First off, I think part of the problem is the brutal cold-shoulder we have been given both in the information and the support regard. This was a backwards progression from Black Ops for CoD on the Wii due to the support, at least in my opinion. Where as Black Ops gave us patches up through May, although they weren't great, this game has apparently decided to end its fixings before the turn of the release year. This lack of support when so many obvious things are broken in the game is infuriating. There is nothing more frustating then being at the end of the barrels of a pair of FMG9s every game.

This lack of support has affected many, if not all of the community active in this game. If the numbers on Black Ops compared to MW3 are correct, which I have yet to prove valid, although I have been told Black Ops has many more players than MW3, it is indicatory that Black Ops is a better game. This may be, or it is just that the community is more willing to play a game that has been properly fixed, unlike the situation with MW3. This ability of the community to pick an older game over a newer one also plays into the fun element. I myself haven't played in several days, instead perferring to enjoy other games instead of the frustation that MW3 brings me. I, like others on here, am not finding the game as fun anymore. It was not like the 3 other titles in the series, where I could play for hours and enjoy it. Now, my first match usually ends in a ragequit. This shouldn't be!

The culmination of these problems and attitudes towards said problems, I believe, will have an effect on the future of CoD on the Nintendo consoles. This year, we should see the release of the WiiU, which the new CoD will most likely be released upon. The question is how many Wii players will buy the console, which is expensive by the current estimates, when games like Black Ops provide ample entertainment, more so then the latest model, MW3? This points towards the fact that, simply and bluntly, MW3 very well may be the death of the CoD series on Nintendo due to its mishandlement.

A quick and often idealistic retort to my point is that a patch will solve everything. Can you be so sure of that? A patch can certainly do work on the game, especially considering where it is at. But can it remove the discontent that has been brewing over the past 2 months in which we have not had a fix. I am highly doubtful of this. I would like to say I know the community well, and assuming I do, I would state that I don't think a patch will make up for the failure this game has presented. There is no patch that will rid me of all of the frustations I have spent trying to succeed up until where I am now. Like many others, I have lost interest in the game, and I don't know if a patch will rekindle that easily.

In short, I fear that CoD could be on the exit path for Nintendo, at least with regard to MW3. It has been, and this is only my opinion, a horrible failure in which mismanagment and lack of support have left it a rotting prospect. Like all things that die, I doubt my interest can be rekindled short of a miracle.

Any thoughts?

• Re: The Stirring Discontent, and Why it Won't Discontinue Even With a Patch

So.. to say it quick and small : they destroyed our will to play by not supporting us for such a long time, even when they give us a patch wii will not play?  like this grom?

Yea i agree. CoD is pretty much ruined for Nintendo. And maybe even Xbox and PS3. MW2 was broken badly and now this game. Im never buying a CoD from Infinity Ward again.

I'll be getting a Wii U at launch.

But whether or not I buy the next CoD game will entirely depend on whether we get the major MW3 issues (damage glitch, weapon rebalancing, etc) patched or not.

I try to make ethical and informed choices when spending my money on products - and I will not financially reward a company that is showing such contempt for it's customers with the lack of communication and support.

It would be gullible to expect any better from Activision and Treyarch on the Wii U, by ignoring their track record as it stands.

When November comes around, if any ex-Wii players really, really need their CoD fix - I'd heartily recommend that they buy the game second hand, over buying it new. I'm sure the game stores will have lots of copies being sold back to them.

If I buy the Wii U it wont be because of COD. Nintendo doesnt need COD to survive.

I might try BF3 when the Wii U comes out.

craig1985

My only problems with Wii are FMG, hopeless helis, hackers and glitches.

I Think the graphics are quality for a Wii game and really like the maps with way less clutter than Xbox and like the 5v5 on them also so for me a patch for FM's, the helis, the glitches and I'd be over the moon but the hacking, that aint ever going to go away as that's a social problem so will just have to get on with it.

poss911

Personally I don't have the hangups most everyone is having with the game. Of course I want them to continue to patch and make this game a better game. Am I going to stop playing this game because they haven't patched it? No. I think this game is better than BLOP's with the exception of maps. The graphics are better the gameplay is smoother and the hit detection is better. That being said i still go back and play BLOP's on occasion and have a great time. I don't get wrapped up in the whole get it patched issue. Yes I want them to patch it but that is not going to stop me from playing this game. Have you forgot how we all played WAW and Reflex without ever getting a patch on those games? If I recall everyone continued playing those games. I did and had fun playing them. Even glitchside. If your getting that upset over the game then quit playing the game. It's a game for crying out loud. Play it to have fun. Yes I get upset at times but then I wake up to reality and remember, hey, I'm playing a game who cares if it doesn't go my way. It's like I have always told my kids. If your not having fun, don't complain just stop playing and move on to something else. PEACE!

If your not having fun, don't complain just stop playing and move on to something else.

You do realise that it's a game that we paid for - it's a product that is faulty, with problems that are fairly easy to fix by the developers. Problems that are fixed on other platforms, though we bought the game just like they did.

The only reason that they aren't fixing the problems on the Wii platform, is because they are currently getting away with not fixing them.

So complaining is a perfectly valid and acceptable thing to do... People aren't complaining enough, else they might actually do something (as shown by the aimbot glitch).

I love MW3. I love it as much as Black Ops, for different reasons. I really enjoy the slower, more deliberate, more tactical pace of some of the BO maps, but I also love the more in-your-face, quick-thinking pace of some of the MW3 maps. I don't think I'll be tired of the game any time soon.

As for Craig's comments, I agree with him. A patch that doesn't break some other game mechanic while fixing killstreak lag shooting and adjusting akimbo FMG9 fire rates (like on other platforms) is really the only patch I am looking for at this point. I would have included the Outpost map glitches, but the recent hotfix that eliminated the magic bullet glitch also compensated for the really, really, really bad map glitches on Outpost so I'm quite happy now with that map.

New playlist modes would be nice. New prestige levels would be nice. Additional killstreaks would be nice. Killcams might be of interest. However, none of them are necessary for us to enjoy the game.

The low number of Wii players may not warrant the additional playlists; the new playlists could cannibalize the number of players in other game modes. I won't prestige in MW3 since I basically did that three times in November; to avoid hackers, I would shut down my Wii only to return to CoD and "prestige" using the data corruption technique. And the additional killstreaks really don't make or break the game. Remember W@W and MWR? We only had three killstreaks and they worked very well. And killcams...well, I, for one, am very glad that the Wii NEVER got them. I hated them in other games on the PC, mostly because they took away from my immersion into the game.

Finally, hacking. The only thing that would probably work is an "adjustment" that prevents the client Wii from accepting certain directives sent from the host Wii. As for hacks like infinite UAV, texture removal, enemy highlighting, etc., I agree that I don't think anything can be done in MW3 for three reasons: Nintendo doesn't have a gaming network for the Wii like Sony's and Microsoft's for their respective consoles; Activision doesn't utilize a reporting system using the Wii's unique friend code system, which would be the only real way to ban hackers; and neither Nintendo nor Activision offer a service like Punkbuster or VAC that checks the integrity of the games connecting to multiplayer services.

nintendon't

Maybe I'm crazy, but there's nothing that really needs to be fixed besides the damage glitch. FMG9s are more of a subjective thing. They never really bothered me because I always ran Quickdraw so I could easily counter them. If more people swapped out their cowardly Assassin perk for Quickdraw, then they'll see that FMG9s aren't that bad.

I hope they leave the FMG9's the way they are so the wimpy players out there get what's coming to them.

Now You say Black Ops has been "properly fixed", but it's more broken then MW3 in almost every way. There's more exploits, worse hacks, and multiple broken things like some attachments not working. I even remember talking to you on Skype a few times near the end of Black Ops and you were whining about how it's broken and needs a patch.

You're just looking at Black Ops with rose tinted glasses. The most likely reason we haven't gotten support is becasue the Wii doesn't support DLC. No DLC means no future profit from the game, so there's no reason to try to keep people playing the game, they already have your money. They probably supported the game up until December because that's when the game would sell the most.

On the other versions however, they still have to release future DLC so of course they're gonna do everything they can like weapon nerfs and fixes so people will stay with the game and would want to invest more money into it.

I can't really blame Activision/Treyarch for not releasing any more patches. It costs money to pay people to make the patches as well as to pay a fee to Nintendo for the patch to go through Nintendo's testing/verification process before it goes live.

Why put more money into the game if they're not gonna get anything back from it?

craig1985

@nintendont

Congrats on one of the most idiotic comments of the year, judging by your statement Hard Line users like myself and other tier 2 perk users other than Assassin and QD should just bow down to the constant barrage of FMG's or use Quick Draw to counter them?

Are we cowardly, no, didn't think so, they are a huge problem and you shouldn't have to use a perk to counter them hence the reason they have been patched on all other platforms, a perk is NOT meant to counter a weapon.

As for your statement, well here it is...

FMG9s are more of a subjective thing. They never really bothered me because I always ran Quickdraw so I could easily counter them. If more people swapped out their cowardly Assassin perk for Quickdraw, then they'll see that FMG9s aren't that bad.

I hope they leave the FMG9's the way they are so the wimpy players out there get what's coming to them.

Kudos to you, eh

like2nap03

Honestly I think a patch will make a difference if it fixes the two main issues in the game.  Namely the air support and the weapon balancing.  Fixing air support will completely change the way the game is played now.  Nerfing the striker and fmg9's will also change the way that several thousands of people play as that is all they use, all the time.  It will change the game completely and for the better.  At least that's my prediction.

The other problem is the hackers.  I've seen more hackers in my brief time with this game then I did in MWR and BLOPS combined.  I'm not exagerating either.  It's really ridiculous. Hackers can be hindered by a steady release of patches, but I don't expect that to happen on the Wii.  Ops had most of it's issues fixed.  It was the best of the series where they got pretty much everything right.  THAT's why people still play it and enjoy it. 

The other issues in MW3 are gamebreaking.  Literally.  They change the way the game was meant to be played and turn it into something else.  They need to be fixed and I think that will make a huge difference.   And DON'T listen to Nintendon't.  That's just trolling nonsense.  Don't feed the troll.

@like2nap03

I do agree that fixing those two major issues, as well as the damage exploit, which is up there in things that need to be patched, will help make this game better. This does not rid of the poor taste we have been left with in our mouths. Certainly a patched game would be good for the sake of gameplay, but are we going to have to up with this year after year?

To expand on that idea, I do think there is a noticeable difference between the IW and 3arch approach to support for the game. Before I get hung for the porting argument, I understand that 3arch ported, and creates all of the support for the Wii. But I think I can say that there is a noticeable difference between the quality of patching between BO and MW3 not only on Wii, but other consoles. Now I may say my evidence on other consoles may be weak, from what I have read and heard, it is not much better there either. They don't get patches for the things, like the prestige token glitch, and other various things, despite their "premium" console status.

This indicates that our lack of support is not alone. The other consoles are out there in the cold as well. We just have not had the most important issues fixed, which is to be expected for playing on the Wii. The next CoD title may actually see a change in this, as it will be a 3arch brand title, but many will not recognize this, and CoD will take a hit for IW's laziness. Hopefully I am wrong in saying that, but having spent a bit of time studying economics and rational decision making, it does not appear to bode well for CoD if this future war path continues.

like2nap03

I don't think we will have to put up with this much longer.  I honestly think the Wii U is the solution.  If all goes as planned it will have the same support as the other consoles.  Also,  each COD game will have 2 years of actual development as intended.  IW will make the game 1 year and Treyarch the next as happens with the Xbox 360 and PS3 now.  That will bode much better for us instead of having Treyarch port a game every year.  I am confused as to why Ops had so much support and then we end up taking a step back with MW3.  My only guess it's it's not Treyarch's game and they are currently working on their next one since it will come out later this year.  As for the other consoles I think, like you, the difference is the developer.  Going from 3arch to IW as cause for the lesser support.

In theory though Wii U should solve our support problem, again, if all goes as planned.  Then the problem will be when will one of these devs do something revolutionary with the franchise? I mean not much has changed since Modern Warfare was released.   A perk here, a killstreak there, but all in all these games are basically the same.  I think that fact will hurt the sales of the game more than the lack of support, but the combination of the two even more so.

like2nap03

As for this game, patching those issues will make a huge difference.  It will be like playing a new game again.  As it is now it's boring.  You can just run around freely without having to worry about anything killing you other than other players or an airstrike.  That's why it's not fun anymore for some people.   I still enjoy it, but it is starting to get old.

porkins:d

I see where you're coming from. For me I'll just never look at an upcoming Nintendo CoD with high expectations. Although I was minorly surprised with content on MW3, some of these problems are becoming unbearable and need fixing. They have yet to be fixed, and this lowers my expectations of support for the Wii or even Wii U.

Then the problem will be when will one of these devs do something revolutionary with the franchise?

To add further, the Wii U won't have a shortage of FPS games, where CoD had no real competition on the Wii.

Shortly after launch, we can expect Aliens: Colonial Marines, Battlefield something-or-other, Killer Freaks From Outer Space, and Ghost Recon Online. Currently, I want all four of them more than the next CoD (unless they turn out bad).

If this game were patched, the bad taste in my mouth would go away (I differ from grom here), and I would be looking forward to the next CoD, even if it is more of the same. MW3 on Wii is really good fun to play, when:

• - the entire enemy team aren't all using Type 95 & FMG9 akimbo's (patchable)
    • - some **** isn't inside a wall, on top of a building, or out of the map (patchable)
    • - you aren't getting shot by damage glitched MK14's, P90's, etc (patchable)
    • - some complete and utter **** isn't hacking (not really patchable)

Unfortunately, I run into one (or a combination of) the above in over half the matches I play. Plus there's the broken killstreaks, the game modes that are tantalisingly on the disc (that hackers can play, but we can't...), lack of communication...

As it stands, I am not looking forward to that on the Wii U, and I'm not expecting it to be any better: "fool me once...". If those problems are patched, I won't feel like such an idiot for buying this game, believing that it would be supported.