20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2012 3:01 PM by craig1985 RSS

DLC Is For Idiots....

I say this because it really is. If you didn't know, the way that DLC works is that the Devs code all the maps into the disc and release special codes that unlock them for playing. But for MW3, it has been said that weaponry would also make its appearance (ahem, kinda stealing BF3's idea, huh) anyways, since I own the PC edition of MW3, I took it upon myself to look for these files. Among some other maps among the currently released ones (I did find some little bits of maps of MW2, such as Terminal and Estate, and Overgrown from MW1), but one thing I didn't find was any other extra guns that weren't used in any of the modes playable. The only weapon DLC possible would be the M1911, only because it is seen throughout the campaign.... Plus the other reason DLC is for idiots is because people spend over 200 dollars per call of duty game just for DLC (60 for the game, 50 for special services as CoD Elite and Live, and about 70 dollars for maps we already own.) hope this helps people understand, we really don't need DLC, we need patches, I'd rather have a fun to play game again rather than a few maps COMPLETELY torn to hell maps with overall crappy gameplay

• Re: DLC Is For Idiots....

Good troll. But tell us something we don't already know..

semperfi550

I'm pretty friggen confident that DICE and EA are NOT the first companies to do weapon DLC..

That aside i do think that DLC is a rip off. I agree that paying $15 for something that is alreay on the disc that was bought for $50-60 is just highway robbery. The map packs should be no more then $5. You have your money already Activision.. now how about a little thing called "customer appreciation"? Rockstar and EA seem to know what that is... Ohh that's right i forgot we're nothing but dollar signs to you.

the Devs code all the maps into the disc and release special codes that unlock them for playing.

The maps aren't on the disc (there's 5 maps on there from previous games, but none of the DLC maps). Think you're getting confused with what some other publishers do.

There's ~4 types of DLC:

1. On-disc DLC. Small amounts of content that was created for the game originally to be released as part of it, but publisher decides to lock it as DLC, to milk their customers for every last penny. What you download to unlock it, is typically under a couple of MB.

2. Off-disc DLC. Small amounts of content that was created for the game originally to be released as part of it, but publisher decides to lock it as DLC, to milk their customers for every last penny. The publisher knows that they will recieve criticism for having it as On-disc DLC, so you download it all instead, hoping that you won't notice that you are still being fleeced.

3. Expansion Packs. Larger amounts of content, created during and after development of the main game, to expand upon it and keep it playable. The games that these are released for (e.g. CoD, BF, Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls, etc)  usually provide 200+ hours of entertainment for $60, yet when expansion packs are released, some players complain that they should have been included in the original cost...

4. Horse Armour, and Hats. For the truly gullible.

People spend over 200 dollars per call of duty game just for DLC (60 for the game, 50 for special services as CoD Elite and Live, and about 70 dollars for maps we already own.)

The cost of Elite includes the map packs, you don't pay twice for them. People are daft for paying twice for their internet with Live though.

So, discounting Live, that's $110 per game. If you only play MW3 for ~10 hours before quitting, that's fairly expensive. But if you play it for 200-400 hours, it's stupidly cheap.

You are forgetting two other types.

Unfinished DLC. Unfinished DLC is a map (or something) that they had originally planned to be in the game but due to some reason (like time constraints) they weren't able to finish it so they decided to lock it and release it as DLC later.

Patch DLC. This one is by far the most unknown form of DLC as most people don't consider it DLC. Now the reason it is DLC is because DLC stands for downloadable content and patch are dpownloadable content.

Good point, I also forgot others:

Zero Day DLC. You only get it if you pre-order. For those who like to gamble.

Retailer Exclusive DLC. You only get it if you pre-order from a specific retailer. For those who like to gamble, whilst putting independent/mom & pop stores out of business.

Free DLC. On those chilly days in hell, developers sometimes release map packs and other add-ons, for free.

infectedSS wrote:

the Devs code all the maps into the disc and release special codes that unlock them for playing.

The maps aren't on the disc (there's 5 maps on there from previous games, but none of the DLC maps). Think you're getting confused with what some other publishers do.

There's ~4 types of DLC:

1. On-disc DLC. Small amounts of content that was created for the game originally to be released as part of it, but publisher decides to lock it as DLC, to milk their customers for every last penny. What you download to unlock it, is typically under a couple of MB.

2. Off-disc DLC. Small amounts of content that was created for the game originally to be released as part of it, but publisher decides to lock it as DLC, to milk their customers for every last penny. The publisher knows that they will recieve criticism for having it as On-disc DLC, so you download it all instead, hoping that you won't notice that you are still being fleeced.

3. Expansion Packs. Larger amounts of content, created during and after development of the main game, to expand upon it and keep it playable. The games that these are released for (e.g. CoD, BF, Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls, etc)  usually provide 200+ hours of entertainment for $60, yet when expansion packs are released, some players complain that they should have been included in the original cost...

4. Horse Armour, and Hats. For the truly gullible.

People spend over 200 dollars per call of duty game just for DLC (60 for the game, 50 for special services as CoD Elite and Live, and about 70 dollars for maps we already own.)

The cost of Elite includes the map packs, you don't pay twice for them. People are daft for paying twice for their internet with Live though.

So, discounting Live, that's $110 per game. If you only play MW3 for ~10 hours before quitting, that's fairly expensive. But if you play it for 200-400 hours, it's stupidly cheap.

How do you find out this stuff? I want to learn more. Is there information out there somewhere where I can find out more?

mralpharogue

You are missinformed.

People who pay for Elite do not pay extra money for DLC.

So that extra $70 that you pulled out of your butt doesn't apply to anyone that bought the game and elite.

And seeing as how I got the hardened edition, I only spent $80 on the game and all of its contents, as well as full access to everything Elite offers.

And as everyone knows, $80 is not $200.

Add in live to play the game, but I guess that can be divided across multiple games if you play more than one. So, here is how I see DLC.

There are 16 maps in the game. I always see these 4 voted for. Dome, Baakara, Hardhat, and Mission. I would consider these to be the favorites. Now, I did these probability calculations in my ahead, and confirmed with a calculator, but you have a 45% of getting to play on one of these maps. Now lets add in DLC. If you like just one of the maps, out of the 4 maps, which it appears Overwatch is well liked, you will see one of these five favored maps appear 44.7% of the time. But say you don't like any of the maps. What happens? Your percent drops to 36.8% chance of playing on one of these favorited maps. Now some may say yes, let us play on some of the other maps, but typically the best and most fun gameplay occurs on these favorited maps, explaining why they get voted for. So in the long run, if you don't like any of the maps of DLC, all you have done is make the experience worse for yourself, and seeing how half-assed the DLC is, its quite possible you may like none of the 4 maps.

mralpharogue

There is also the flip side though. Many of the players don't vote or only vote because their friends want to play a certain match.

For me, I don't vote unless asked because I don't care what map I play on. I play well on all of them and enjoy them all. I think the majority of the reason people vote for certain maps isn't necessarily because they LIKE it, but because they feel that they are good on those maps. And maybe it's both, because who doesn't like maps that they are good at?

Anywho, while I see your point, there is also the other side that disagrees and enjoys 80-100% of the maps that they play.

Also, there is the 'used to hate, but now I love' factor. Some people hate a map at first and then grow to love it later. That's constantly happening, so the statistics are never a set in stone thing.

Example: I DESPISED interchange at first. But now, I absolutely love that map! As for Hardhat, I used to like it, but now it is one of my least favorites. (I still like it, just not as much as others.) The same goes for Mission.

So with the DLC maps, who's to say that they wont end up being loved once they are officially released to everyone and therefore played more often?

I don't mean to post this as an argument, I just want to help bring light to 'the other side' of this conversation.

Elite is $50 per year for a premium subscription, thats why i added it in there

There is also the flip side though. Many of the players don't vote or only vote because their friends want to play a certain match.

For me, I don't vote unless asked because I don't care what map I play on. I play well on all of them and enjoy them all. I think the majority of the reason people vote for certain maps isn't necessarily because they LIKE it, but because they feel that they are good on those maps. And maybe it's both, because who doesn't like maps that they are good at?

Anywho, while I see your point, there is also the other side that disagrees and enjoys 80-100% of the maps that they play.

Also, there is the 'used to hate, but now I love' factor. Some people hate a map at first and then grow to love it later. That's constantly happening, so the statistics are never a set in stone thing.

Example: I DESPISED interchange at first. But now, I absolutely love that map! As for Hardhat, I used to like it, but now it is one of my least favorites. (I still like it, just not as much as others.) The same goes for Mission.

So with the DLC maps, who's to say that they wont end up being loved once they are officially released to everyone and therefore played more often?

I don't mean to post this as an argument, I just want to help bring light to 'the other side' of this conversation.