19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 11:07 AM by Gerbera RSS

Does steady aim make shotguns worse?

This prestige I have been using the KSG shotgun (not bad btw).  Early on before I had i=unlocked steady aim I was using stalker with it, and doing fairly well.  I would get a decent amount of OHK firing from the hip etc. Anyway once Steady Aim was unlocked and I switched to it and the gun basically seemed like it went to crap.  I would get alot of hitmarkers (if I was lucky)  sometimes I would get nothing at all.  So I switched back to Stalker and once again it started performing better. Did I just have an awkward run of crappy hit detection?  So I pose a question to shotgun users.  Does steady aim help or hurt?  Does it depend on the Shotty?  What are some of your guys shotgun setups?

• Re: Does steady aim make shotguns worse?
    rlbl

Without steady aim your pellets are more wide spread (giving you a good chance at hitting something)

With steady air, you pellets are more tight, so if you are off.. you are off.

Theory? I wonder if it is possible that you are not hitting the target the way you think (due to lag) and therefore your shots are seemingly on target, but from the host perspective, they are off..

Just a thought... I wonder...

The scuttlebutt is that steady aim tightens the spread of the shot and a lot of people will tell you (especially via a YouTube comments section if you happen to post a video about shitty shotguns ) that steady aim is absolutely necessary on a shotgun. I really don't think this is, or should be the case.

1. I shouldn't need to burn a perk on making a gun dole out the expected damage within its optimal range. This is not the case with any other gun.

2. Depending on which shotgun you're using, and what range you're engaging people at, you may want a loose pellet spread. If you're using a high-damage gun like the Model, then a wider pellet spread will be more forgiving. If you're using a lower-damage gun like the KSG, then a tighter spread may be usefull in ensuring those OHK. The catch, though, is that if the guy isn't lined up squarely in your crosshairs when hipfiring in that situation, the tighter grouping may cause you to miss with the necessary number of pellets to kill.

Also, you have to factor in poor hit detection and any kind of latency you're experiencing, as it's my opinion that this negatively impacts shotguns more than any other gun in the game.

For what it's worth, I usually don't use steady aim on any of my shotgun setups, and I have ~3,500 Model kills. I prefer to use that perk on Dead Silence, so I can run up close enough to get that killing shot off.

See I used steady aim when I first used a shotgun with the stalker.  And it worked well (of course it was the stalker) so I kinda assumed SA was the way to go.  Now I'm not so sure.  Also what do you guys use as perk 2.  I have toyed with assassin, hardline, and overkil,  but mostly assn. and hardline.  I am thinking hardline would be the best, seems like assn just doesn't fit well with rushing with a shotgun.

BLLDWG23 wrote:

This prestige I have been using the KSG shotgun (not bad btw).  Early on before I had i=unlocked steady aim I was using stalker with it, and doing fairly well.  I would get a decent amount of OHK firing from the hip etc. Anyway once Steady Aim was unlocked and I switched to it and the gun basically seemed like it went to crap.  I would get alot of hitmarkers (if I was lucky)  sometimes I would get nothing at all.  So I switched back to Stalker and once again it started performing better. Did I just have an awkward run of crappy hit detection?  So I pose a question to shotgun users.  Does steady aim help or hurt?  Does it depend on the Shotty?  What are some of your guys shotgun setups?

It continues to irritate me how CoD developers screw up steady aim with shotguns over and over again. Steady aim should affect accuracy, not precision. There is no reason why the use of steady aim or even aiming down sights should affect the spread of pellets given a certain distance.

I think that is a very good point.  It goes back to now the gun being to precise in close quater situations and the lag effect.  You hipfire a very precise weapon at a close distance at where the target should be and looks to be, but it's really not there.  It's over to the side a little more and now you get a hitmarker or notheing at all.  That being why a larger less precise spread of a different 3rd perk seems better. 

I agree they are screwing the shotty's with that.  A shotguns spread should be it's spread unless you are using some kind of choke to modify that spread. In turn though if you tighten that spread of the shotgun you should also in turn automatically increase it's range because now it throws a tighter pattern over a greater distance i.e using a full choke in a shotgun.

Great point. Additionally, I've always thought it silly that the grouping is tighter while ADS. The gun has no idea if you're looking down the sights or not.

What I think would be an interesting twist is if one of the shotgun attachments was different chokes, allowing you to tighten or disperse the spread to your liking. Magnum shells (more pellets per shot) would also be cool. Because let's be honest, the red dot/holographic attachments on a shotgun are virtually useless, and with the exception of the silencer (although that sucks, too), grip, or extended mags, the shotgun attachments really don't improve the weapon in any real capacity. If anything, they feel like an afterthought.

I agree.  The grip works the ext mags work but the rest not so much.  You could argue a silencer but really that only worked for BLOPS and the SAS.  I would like to see them add some things like maybe a full choke that would give a little range bump or something like a magnum shell that would give a slight damage or pellet number bump.  I wouldn't want to take away to much from the proficiencey's but something more effective that could be used for shotty's.  I mean look at the poor Model's it has nothing to help it out.

There are youtube videos showing it, I think one of the best I saw was by tmartn possibly? But, steady aim improves the grouping of the shot, catch is, only when you hip fire. So if you put steady aim on unless you want a wide spread for up close stuff sometimes, never ADS. Try it your self in a private match. Take the same shot gun on 2 classes, first time with stalker hip fire a wall, then ADS the wall. Now take the steady aim class and hip fire the wall, then ADS the wall. From what I've heard, and from what seems to be working really well with my model (1100 ish kills) the steady aim class non ADS shot should be the best grouping of the 4, also make sure you're shooting a consitent distance away from your target.

Snipingdbag

No, hip firing with steady aim is more accurate than adsing, ads can be beneficial but only for certain hard angles.

Use steady aim with grip, this is as accurate as the shotguns get. I got the 3 long range kills in one life done with spas with grip and damage. Absolute blast to use.

Most shotties could use "another" buff though now that extended pellets are gone on most of them, just making the ads accuracy more precise would fix a lot of BS, especially with damage on cqb.

Yes it helps the shotgun.. plzz mark as correct answer.

See that was the setup I was using SA + grip.  I figured hey can't get more accurate, haven't gotten to damage or range yet so I'm using kick.  But like I said it just seemed to make it worse.  Kinda of the same thing happened to me with the USAS last prestige.  First couple of times I used it (pre SA) I was like wow this really isn't bad.  I had some nice games with it.  Then I unlocked SA and slapped it on and was like WTF.  I thought it was just me and I got frustrated and quit using it for the most part. 

Then I noticed it with the KSG almost the same thing so I said let me go back to using Stalker as a perk, and it seemed to get better.

Now granted I haven't used shotty's much in this game. So I'm still figuring out my playstyle with them.  That's kinda why I am getting feedback from you guys to kinda see what ya'll have experienced.

So I wasn't the only one that noticed this. Exact same story, KSG was perfectly fine without Steady Aim. With it I just got hitmarkers after hitmarkers.

Just got Steady Aim and I'm using the Spas this prestige. I'm going to try it out for a few games and then decide what I want to do.

gzowner1

I get kill by one shot when i am about 3 car away , but it takes a clip to the head to kill you? Shotgunes are good for KC but not for sniping across the map. They buff them, but i dont think they buff the range.

Gerbera

If not chokes, then ammo types would be fun too (excluding the grenade type with the AA-12 as that'd make it overpowered unless the damage is REALLY low) given they can work in a somewhat similar fashion. Like birdshots will have more pellets and a wider spread, but at the cost of overall damage per pellet and so on.