29 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 2:42 PM by deucedouglas RSS

How do you use the M16?

deucedouglas

It's the only assault rifle I haven't gotten 1000 kills with so I've been using it lately and it is awful. I've tried a number of different setups and I've done pretty well in some games but I have to completely alter my playstyle to accomodate how bad the gun is. It's probably not as bad as I think but the Type-95 really puts it to shame as far as the burst weapons go.

I've used the red dot+silencer combo which I found a ton of success with in previous CoD's but it just doesn't seem the same. I'm not a fan of how bulky the holographic is in this game so I wasn't really a fan of that. The setup that I've been finding the most success with has been the silencer+rapid fire. But even still there will be times where if the first burst doesn't drop the guy I know I'm screwed.

Anybody a fan of this gun?

• Re: How do you use the M16?

Hate the M16, but I got kills by slowly crouching around high traffic areas, and picking stragglers off, but I never got MVP with it.:/

M16 is better than they type at range if I remember correctly. Does 25 per bullet after the dropoff and the dropoff might be later. Can't remember what attachments are good to take advantage of this though.

CHRISSY

nah i dont like it either, but the best way to get kills is go slow take you're time and aim as highh up the body as you can

Just plain ol' M16 with a M203 for corner campers is usually my set-up. When I first started using it, I ran with the Rapid / Silencer combo, and if my Clan is on their "No one use a Noob Tube trip" I'll run Red Dot or Rapid Fire, but never both and use impact.

I play a lot of HC and this is probably my choice weapon for S&D as I don't want to make a lot of noise and am usually able to set up my shots. For those instances I run Silence or Red Dot. I'm a fan of Iron sights on most guns...

- vTc Goose

HORSESIXZERO

Once I got the 16A4 done, I put it back in the Armory where it sits collecting dust. I don't even use the Type 95. Burst weapons in this game are pointless.

When I did run with it, because once I saw in HX how weak it was at distance, which is TOTAL garbage, I had RDS and XMags on it. When I used it for my "DEFEND" class it was RDS w/203 and RPGs. You know, for those in the HX environment that can't hit the sky if they shot at it, use nothing but tubes, rockets, and launchers.

I could go on and on about the burst weapons in this game, but, the one gun they should not have gotten rid of was the Tavor 21.

that6uy420

going off the title alone...  shoulder the weapon, aim down sights, squeeze trigger, profit!

Red Dot sight with Rapid Fire is how I run my M16.  I love it and ever since I got it up to that level I just use that instead of the Type 95.  Actually, I have't even used the type for the last 4 prestiges.  LOL

I use it with ACOG and rapid fire, Blind Eye, Assassin, Dead Silence and run with it as a "moving sniper" class.  The hip-fire is good enough on it that the ACOG won't hurt your close quarters confrontations.

cantcme

Almost to gold, Currently using ACOG w/ extended mags.  I like the Grenade Launcher idea as noted above.

Recon Pro or Blind Eye Pro  - 

Overkill Pro - currently G36 red dot - use for close quarters/travel route surprises.

Marksman  - works great w/ ACOG, spam rounds down range.  If you don't kill them  Recon will light them up for your teammates.

Sometimes it it wokrs great and then of course there are the WTF moments - just like the SPAS.  Like most weapons, you have to find what works for you.  I'm having a lot fun with it now.  

Cable99

I rock the M16. Here's my set up.

M16/kick. Red dot sight.

Blind Eye/Assassin/Marksman

Smoke grenade/Semtex

Smaw

Assault pkg with UAV/Predator/whatever you like, I switch 3rd around a lot

My best HCKC game w/M16 is 37 kills

Best Core TDM is 27

I aim for the chest and flinch the burst slightly upward-its different from BOps M16, which you hold steady.

net_nginerd

RDS + rapid fire

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmUvylbCMiI2mC3CYQe6LJRGlOPVXn_oqIgd2suvcKxMX2vE47Fw

turn off xbox remove mw3 insert cod4 turn on xbox and use that m16 thats what i would do if i wanted to use the m16 effectively

deftonicdamian

Seriously I'm the only one digging this gun? I run reconpro, hardline pro(i am not a part of the assassin ***** movement), marksman. semtex, concussion,  predator, reaper, AC130, m16 with red dot and rapid fire with a mp9 extended mag for those double/triple kill altercations that the m16 can't get you. This gun is by far one of the most accurate guns ever. Once you see an enemy across the map it's real easy to line them up for your shot. I use recon pro so that way if you hit marker them and they run around a corner you can see their next moves and already be ADS around whatever corner he's going to pop out of. Also recon and hardline both work towards your killstreaks. I believe my gun kd with the m16 is about a 3.96, 34% accuracy. I love this gun for liberation, overwatch, lockdown, outpost, and bakaara. I have all the titles for every assault and smg except 3 guns, the mk14, type 95, and pm-9 which i am now working on this prestige.

deucedouglas

I've been having a lot of luck with Rapid Fire and Kick as of late. It probably doesn't need Kick but I find most of the other proficiencies worthless. It's a really horrible gun. There's times where I'll put two bursts into guys and they can just easily spray me down with full auto.

The only success I've found is basically camping like a b**** and trying to hold down an area and relying on the enemies to continuously come back for more. There have been a few of the really good games I've had where I contemplated sending messages to people apoligizing for how much I was camping but I haven't done that yet.

deftonicdamian

stability, and focus>kick for the m16 like you said, it doesnt need kick. stability really helps for the long shots as long as you don't have horrible accuracy. and focus helps even more when youre trying to burst a guy across the map and he's shooting back with his ACR or whatever. No need to camp, just stick to the outside of the maps, I like to run down alleyways and long stretches where people usually get picked off by snipers. Like B flag area for Bakaara. And again I will advise  Reconpro and hardline pro together. As the m16 does give you hit markers quite a bit, if you cant land the last burst to finish off your target at least your team will see him painted and you can get the assist counting towards your streak.

deucedouglas

Yeah I just unlocked stability a few games ago and had already planned to immediately switch and it makes it loads better. I noticed a lot more one burst kills and better consistency at range. There was one point where I saw a guys stinger through the wall and spent an entire clip getting hitmarkers through the wall before he ran away, kind of funny.

dtinsomnia

The M16 is more the more balanced burst gun compared to the Type-95. The M16 is better at range than Type-95 is.

CowboySr

In Black ops this gun was useful, not the best, but useful. In MW3 it might as well be a baseball bat.Well no, cause even that you should still be able to kill people with.

I used the M16 to specifically get the 1000 kills callsign but not to use it as a weapon of choice. While doing the 1,000 kills, I really wanted and always hoping to get it done fast so that I can ditch the M16 right away. To me, the M16 is the worst assault rifle in MW3.

The best use ofcourse is to always position yourself in range (at a medium to long distance) of the enemy. It is effective in long range because of the accuracy but chance encounters up close, you'll lose out most of the time. The worst thing is because it takes a few bursts to drop an enemy, if you miss or partially hit with the first or second burst, you can easily be taken out. The enemy will just shoot back and kill you with an automatic before the M16 can again release the next bursts.

The M16 was my fav weapon in MW and MW2. But they dumbed down this weapon in BOP and then MW3, so talking about crappy game designers.

deucedouglas

It is by far the worst in my opinion. I just went 211-43 over a nine game span with it so it still did work but it completely changes how I have to play because you have to play such a more slow pace, methodical approach. I'm sure I didn't have too many fans of me after each game with the way things were going down.