20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2012 3:17 PM by jewz RSS

Dedicated Servers (not a rant)

TehSpeagles

Just curious, and I know it won't ever happen, but why does everybody on here think dedicated servers would be laggier than the P2P we use now?

• Re: Dedicated Servers (not a rant)
    grif77775

with dedicated servers there is no host advanage, but what a lot of player don't understand is it won't remove lag. it may reduce it or it could make it worst, but by bringing in dedicated servers you will remove 1 problem but could cause lots more. homefront is great example. there wasn't enough server so some players were playing in cross water servers, ie european player were playing in american servers and vice versa.

jewz

If your internet sucks then it lags, if it doesnt youre fine. Even with crappy internet the lag on dedi's is miminal compared to the current host migration system. Plus there are no annoying pauses in gameplay when it host migrates. It might be rough the first week to play during release, but after that its perfectly fine. 

Dedicated servers wouldnt be laggier , Everybody who connects to the server would be comped according to their own ping rate not to the parties, plus with Dedicated servers host migration and dashboarding is a thing of the past.

The only people who are against Dedicated servers are the bean counters at Activision and the forum fanboys who like to troll.

Relying on some strangers atiquated console his junky router or bridged connection through the PC and poorly performing ISP is definitely not the futurre of online gaming.

Anybody who has played a game like BF3 knows that they can get on a server nearest them and play all Day long without any dashboarding issues, migration issues, or rediculious lag issues like in BO and MW3.

Dedicated servers also allow for bIgger games with more players, look at some PC games with 48 plus players on a single server, COD cant even run some 6vs6 games without lagging like a pig.

Rednecksniper39

chroniccritic wrote:

Dedicated servers wouldnt be laggier ,

Here is the problem. No matter how many of us think we know everything you do not know that for sure. but im not arguing with anyone about this.

TehSpeagles

I do know that playing with dedicated servers on PC is 10x less laggy than on Xbox.  That's what I base my claims off of.  And they effectively double the radius of the player pool...  instead of worrying about keeping a 50ms ping between players, it's a 50ms ping between you and a central dedicated server.  So in theory, two players could play a 50ms game on dedis that would normally be a ~100 ms game on Xbox.

Like you, I don't know for sure.  But all my networking knowledge and dedicated server experiences seems to suggest that they would afford a better experience.

Redneck sniper I have played games a plenty on Dedicated servers, there can be lag but since you are allowed to connect to the server nearest you that is the best way to minimize lag.

For example in BF3 I can go to a server list and pick from multitudes of FIVE bar Servers that are playing all game types, Once I join that server if the game works fine it will run fine ALL DAY LONG it doesnt change every match or two like in COD when there is a host change.

You dont know what you are missing.

grif77775

exactly what I was trying to say! there is no 100% way to give everyone a level playing field. dedicated may help but they could also do more harm than good.

@chroniccritic

I have played bf3 and yes you can play on the nearest server all but try playing on a foreign server, it's like playing on 2 bar. And bf3 lets you pick what server you play on cod might not.

you can't 100% dedicated servers well 100% improve connection issues until they tried on cod. until then all I'm going to say is they might work but then again they might not

jewz

some individuals would have laggier experiences on dedi's. Those would be the ones with poor connections. Its not that hard to understand. BF3 has twice as much going on in game and massive maps, vehicles, expolosions, destruction etc, and doenst lag even 1/5th as much as this game does. In fact it almost never lags at all. sure you had the bad first week where the servers were overloaded but its been perfectly fine since then

Rednecksniper39

jewz wrote:

some individuals would have laggier experiences on dedi's. Those would be the ones with poor connections.

Theyproblem is that it is not fair. you should not get an advantage because you pay more. More money does not equal better player. They need to find what works best for EVERYONE

jewz

the current system isnt fair. I can play BF3 in my friends shitty dorm connection without it lagging and i can play on my decently fast internet with no lag. MW3 is the opposite, he does fine and i die far less when i go play on his dorm connection or when im no host. the second im host i die when im already around the corner etc. and i never had that problem on his connection. This current system favors the players that have bad internet. I can honestly see where they were going with it, but they done ****** up. Dedi's give you the option of choosing what region you play and run much much smoother. 

When i say the shitty connections have bad lag, i mean the BAD connections. Even mediocre to fairly shitty connections do fine on dedi's. Play BF3, you will see why they need to put dedi's in COD. They can afford it

jewz

i dont understand why you are so opposed to dedi's. It would fix a lot of the lag issues that this game has.  It wouldnt even be an extra cost to the player if they did what EA did with the server code when you buy the game.

TehSpeagles

Completely agree...  it just seems like anytime dedicated servers are mentioned it's met with a flurry of posts like "omg idiot you realize dedicated servers would actually cause MORE lag right?"

ghorman

If you can place the host closer to the internet backbone it would reduce the distance the traffic has to travel to everyone, which in turn would reduce pings.  If someone starts talking about miles travels when talking about internet traffic, just filed that person under "clueless"

TehSpeagles

ghorman wrote:

If someone starts talking about miles travels when talking about internet traffic, just filed that person under "clueless"

Seems like most people fall under this category.

And yeah, at least on previous PC CoD games the traditional "hubs" went something like:  New York, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, and not sure if there's a popular one in the Northwest.  You can pretty much ping ~75 at most to at least one of those datacenters from anywhere in the country.

ghorman

TehSpeagles wrote:

ghorman wrote:

If someone starts talking about miles travels when talking about internet traffic, just filed that person under "clueless"

Seems like most people fall under this category.

And yeah, at least on previous PC CoD games the traditional "hubs" went something like:  New York, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, and not sure if there's a popular one in the Northwest.  You can pretty much ping ~75 at most to at least one of those datacenters from anywhere in the country.

I can think of two people right now.

ayce123

I am not claiming to know it all but when I play Domination on MAG with 256 players in one room thats 128 people on each team it has nowhere near the amount of lag that MW3 has in any groundwar match. The reason for this is DEDICATED SERVERS. If you tried to run 256 players on a P2P network it would probably brick every ps3 that was connected to it.Go play MAG before coming to any conclusions about dedicated servers.I personally think it would greatly improve this game but it does not seem conducive to Call of Duty's buisiness model ie; Take as much money from us as they can and offer the bear minimum. So dedicated servers probably will never happen but I can dream cant I.

Difference is the games. Right now COD has a broader fan base the bf3 and more console players then Bf3. Dice knows bf series started on pc and they cater to pc players more(dice devs actually said pc comes first.) well pc players use their own servers so less for dice to have to do. Cod has areas that are less populated so it would either be a waste to put a server there and lose those players or those players wouldn't stand a chance even with lag comp. I played FFXI online and their servers was Japan based while it wasn't a lag feast like cod location could mean everything. Japs ruled every server due to mobs spawning to them first. And even the slightest connect gap could me an advantage even with lag comp. bf3 has lag but less noticeable due to the size of maps and amount of players. Now dedi's would change the whole play style which makes people want to play cod and that is you are always in the action. I get spawned killed within secs of spawn but it is less irritating then taking a hike only to get killed and start the journey back over. I do not down BF seeing as thought I liked the original on pc but honestly if cod went to this style I would not buy it. I like variety and while this has problems so does everything else.