8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 6:57 PM by seaniedee2 RSS

Clenching help

9blackguys

I've recently ruined a few good kill streaks because I clenched the controller a bit too hard during a high tension situation which, of course causes me to knife, thus canceling out my shooting and its gotten me killed many times. I don't recall being prone to this problem before but lately when I'm on a roll, and I have to flee or turn around really fast I'll grip the controller too hard by mistake.

So I've been debating about switching my controller setup to "tactical" so that if I do accidently "clench" I won't knife but rather I'll begin to crouch, that wouldn't be as interruptive and may even save my life. On paper it seems like a good solution but does anyone else have this problem? Do you have any tips or advice? Would switching to "tactical" solve this issue?

I know Halo Reach has a feature called "clench protection" which you could enable, that made it so you had to click the thumbsticks in a bit longer than normal so you wouldn't unintentionally do anything, like zooming or crouching. Since MW3 doesn't have this feature, I figured perhaps changing to the tactical setup would function in the same manner as Halo Reach's "clench protection" and save me from screwing up my own killstreaks lol

• Re: Clenching help
    anoreo

SOmetimes when I get nervous because of a high killstreak, I clench too. My hands just lock up completely

When I take my hands off the controller, they are balled into a fist. Imagine trying to game with two balls of fists!  Not to mention I sweat like crazy!

I wouldn't mind something to help that!

9blackguys

Yeah I'm not sure how it well it would work in call of duty, but thats why I was thinking about changing my setup to tactical as a "home remedy" for my problem.

However it seems difficult to test as to how effective it is and whether it solves the problem, does nothing or makes things worse. I've never used tactical and it could totally throw off my game.

r8edtripx

9blackguys wrote:

Yeah I'm not sure how it well it would work in call of duty, but thats why I was thinking about changing my setup to tactical as a "home remedy" for my problem.

However it seems difficult to test as to how effective it is and whether it solves the problem, does nothing or makes things worse. I've never used tactical and it could totally throw off my game.

Tactical WILL totally throw off your game at first, but once you get used to it though, you can become a drop-shot king. Some think drop-shotting is a cheap tactic, but it will definitely help you win more gun fights when you get used to the layout.

I haven't been panic knifed nearly as much in MW3 as in Black Ops, so I don't feel you'd be giving up as much if you switch to tactical in MW3.

9blackguys

Thanks for the advice buts let try to get this sorted out, I don't want to drop shot, I just don't want to accidently knife because the heat of the moment caused me to. If my layout was on tactical I would drop to the floor rather than knife, like you said it may take some getting used to but either way I dont intend on using it as a regular tactic.

I'll play some private matches with that setup, but like I said, its going to be difficult to calibrate its usefulness and whether it actually "helps" me, because the circumstances of the situation that cause me to mistakenly knife isn't neccessarily repeatable science.

9blackguys

I figured out what my problem is, I only have one working controller right now and the right thumbstick is pretty sensitive. Even if I grasp the controller just a little bit too much it causes me to knife, so I switched to Tactical, and so far I've not been in a "panic" situation. I'm still trying to get used to "b" being the knife button, not the crouch button lol.

seaniedee2

test