1 2 3 Previous Next 77 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2012 12:35 PM by Izjar11 RSS

On Age and Gaming. Does it matter?

Izjar11

I just read a post called "kids these days" (http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200410740). Well for those who play COD or any multiplayer or single player does age / occupation / family size / martial status matter? Who says that gaming is lost with age? I am 33, married (one child) work-aholic, I play various sports when I can and attend to my business first before gaming (usually). The main reason I play this game is for stress release, yes STRESS release nothing like pretending to kill people in a virtual world! I also grew up on more violent Japanese cartoons, G-I-Joe, robotech, voltron, Akira, etc. 

I've been gaming since 86. I don't understand why anyone who would talk smack about us elder gamers and try to lecture us on gaming! Those who read this and are young and think this way, just wait! Time will fix that backward mentality when you least realize!

Happy hunting COD.

• 1. Re: On Age and Gaming. Does it matter?

Last I checked, there was no age limit on having fun.

• 2. Re: On Age and Gaming. Does it matter?
    Izjar11

That's how I feel, but from that thread "kids these days" and from playing and listening to others there is this "your to old to play" I say BULLs-hi-t.

• 3. Re: On Age and Gaming. Does it matter?

IDK im almost 30 and have been gaming since kelico vision. Its just a weird time cause our generation started growing up with games. So there is a 50/50 chance that kids are growing up with gamer parents. But now all the kids have games and Im sure the next generation the gaming will be close to 2 gaming units a household. (Kind of like the TV has evolved.)

• 4. Re: On Age and Gaming. Does it matter?
    Abrysaf

Age doesn't matter in the slightest; attitude does.  So long as you have a decent work/family/life balance then I see no problem whatever your age.  As for the "too old to play" etc... just don't feed the trolls and the silly posts will soon disappear off the page 

• 5. Re: On Age and Gaming. Does it matter?

I read and replied to the thread you mentioned.  I think the subject is interesting and of course I don't have a problem with people of any age playing games.

I do find it interesting that younger people such as I presume the original poster of that other thread is, are considering the effects of too much gaming.  I am in fact rather nicely surprised that the thought of playing games too much even enters their head, perhaps this in itself is a good sign.

The vast majority do balance their lives out between work time, family time and "Me" time and if they want to play games in the "Me" time, then why not.  I think the media makes a big deal out of the few cases where there is obviously a major issue with too much time spent playing games which does, as they do with many issues, give a biased, unbalanced view.

I was around when the only place you could play video games was at the fair.  I was around when Grandstand introduced us to Pong on the TV, when Space Invaders machines first hit the pubs, then Galaxian, Phoenix... I was one of the first to buy an Atari Console, then it was the ZX Spectrum, Amiga, onto the PC and Duke Nukem, Unreal Tournament... online with a 56k modem... I rocked then

The history of electronic gaming is as much part of my history as David Bowie, Marc Bolan, Kiss, AC/DC... If anything I would say that makes it more likely that I will play games than those who just take it all for granted... I love games, I love online games... I now have 3 grown up children, 3 grandchildren, all good balanced people... my age?  52, anyone top that?

Take it easy

• 6. Re: On Age and Gaming. Does it matter?
    thehunan

ever read the box (M)... there is one. Just the parents want a baby sitter for $60 so they buy there kids the game. I am a parent and my 14 year old I do not alow to play games that are rated M. Wish other parents would step up and monitor there kids and what they do also.

• 7. Re: On Age and Gaming. Does it matter?
    monkeylord

Dizzy/bomber jack on the spectrum filled many days/nights I think treasure island dizzy was the hardest game i've ever completed.

• 8. Re: On Age and Gaming. Does it matter?

thehunan wrote:

ever read the box (M)... there is one. Just the parents want a baby sitter for $60 so they buy there kids the game. I am a parent and my 14 year old I do not alow to play games that are rated M. Wish other parents would step up and monitor there kids and what they do also.

Whatever happened to those good ole days when a kid had to sneak over to his friend's house and secretly play M rated games? I was 12 when GTA3 came out and I remember that I begged, pleaded and cried for my parents to get me the game and they always refused.

If I ever have children, they're not ever getting any M rated games from me.

• 9. Re: On Age and Gaming. Does it matter?
    wridtrvlr

Hell no!!!  We invented gaming and got it started!!  Kids should worship us. 

That being said, my kid if they were under the age of 13 would never play a game like this.  We grew up on games that were almost all fantasy, not real life situations.  Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, those are the games little kids should be playing...not COD.

1 2 3 Previous Next