1 2 3 4 Previous Next 101 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2012 2:53 PM by Arkmdiget Go to original post RSS
  • 10. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

Weighted Matchmaking makes lag (and by proxy, lag compensation) a problem. The network isn't optimised for speed, it's trying to force players of similar play level into lobbies, no matter the distance (ping time).

• 11. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

Interesting, I didn't think they did matchmaking like this.  I rarely get sent to lobbies over the 75 search, but don't get a ton of 50s either.  I generally fall in the 75 ping group.  I sport a beastly .7something kdr.

Even in 50 ping rooms, I constantly run into that one second delay.  It's annoying being shot by a guy you can't see yet.  Or shooting 6 bullets to see none fired from your gun on the killcam.  I don't have a lot of fps multiplayer under my belt, but I've played a few mmos and I've never experienced much lag, with the exception of events you are doing with 40+ people, wich causes frame skips, rather than the game appearing smooth and being a second behind.  This makes me believe that the problem isn't so much on my end.  Cable internet, generally 20/3.5, ping across the country around 100 ms.

• 12. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!
    nickpeck36

The matchmaking is horrible on it's own right and I'm sure what you said is a huge part of it which really needs to be fixed (and or totally changed moving forward).  I just feel there's a few other things at play as well but what you said does make a lot of sense now that I understand it better.

• 13. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

Welcome to FPSs. I'm sorry if this is your first... The problem will effect you as well as being in the bottom 25th percentile, you will most likely not be put with the better players in your area. This is unfortunate as playing with those people makes you a better player. Instead you're lumpped with your level of play, and subsequently will not improve as quickly as you would if you got your arse handed to you every-so-often...

• 14. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

Totally agree that there are other problems. It's just that this one didn't have a voice, so I decided to speak up ...

• 15. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

Not sure if I agree that this is how matchmaking works. If so I should be highly offended by some of the terrible players they put me with,

• 16. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

drunkndennys wrote:

Totally agree that there are other problems. It's just that this one didn't have a voice, so I decided to speak up ...

This, like the voice in your head, is not real.

• 17. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

That's unfortunate because the voice in my head kinda likes you...

• 18. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!

I have to agree with SML on this one. IW just doesn't have the talent to get that kind of coding done. They cannot even figure out that in this day an age 50ms is below average and that is their starting point.

And this has been brought up since MW2!

BTW playing solo I get put in all kinds of rooms in terms of talent level. I think the last time I checked I was in the 1.4 range and I play with all sorts from 2+ to -1 so I really don't think that is the main criteria. I still believe ping is first and foremost and that alone doesn't work with the newer technologies out.

For example in Windows you can do a WMI call, an SQL query to get all kinds of information anything from what apps are installed to what bit OS you are using to last user logged on. I am sure the PS3 has this ability, I don't have the SDK and have not even looked at the OS. The first thing that matchmaking/host selection should do is find the region code and which NIC the PS3 is using, wired/wireless. Then start matchmaking/host selection from there. The fact that I am constantly put in other regions shows me they have not figured this out. This is common sense, at least it should be for a developer.

• 19. Re: Lag Compensation Is NOT the Problem!
    wridtrvlr

If you are getting matched into games that are greater than 100 ping this is your main problem. 

You can always find a better game.  I only play in lobbies with <50 or <75 ping and I never ahve issues of lag or have those WTF moments when I get shot through a wall. 

If I let the matchmaking system put me in a lobby with >100 ping, that is my own fault for letting it search that long.  Once it starts searching for thos <100 ping games I back out and start over.  It only takes me a max of 5 times to find a good lobby. 

Take your time and don't just let the matchmaking system match you wherever.  Be proactive when it is searching for a lobby and you will have better games.

Your post makes it sound like the game is forcing you into those lobbies with 100+ or more PING.  You have the option of leaving those lobbies and finding better ones. 

1 2 3 4 Previous Next