26 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2012 5:24 PM by Gerbera_Kai RSS

Porti radar "baby monitor" or just poorly used

monkeylord

I'm a little surprised by the mostly negative view of the porti-radar. The image called to mind about this piece of equipment is a person huddled in a corner cradling a silenced weapon afraid to step out of the radiating circle of safety the little box provides.

I think this box is one of the best pieces of kit I use it on most of my classes. On every map there is a sweet spot where you can drop this frisbee and lock down a sizeable chunk of the map on arkaden it allows you to run and gun with an LMG simply by leaving it at the backdoors with the slope it will let you know if someone is coming up the side stairs,the slope itself and the bottom of the middle escalators.

Hardhat leave it on the slope outside that room with the steel cage or toss it in the corridor and it will show up anyone in the tunnel or the back room which now leaves you free to run and gun no-longer just relying on the randoms to protect your back and the added advantage of  knowing where your enemy's aren't so you can hotfoot it to where they are.

Also if you're lucky enough to have 2 other people decent with the porti-radar then you can set up what amounts to a permanent U.A.V which the enemy rarely notice and frees up a slot on your strike package. C4 and the porti-radar are a match made in heaven.

• Re: Porti radar "baby monitor" or just poorly used

I don't know about regular playlist but on search the portable radar is pretty much a must have  to avoid being flanked. Other wise on tdm or any other playlist i don't bother to fast paced to camp.

Basically, it can be used either way. While yes, a lot of campers do use it, it can also be used offensively or simply to watch your back/a certain part of the map like I like to do.

Offensively as in, rather than throwing in a Flashback/Concussion Grenade through a door and look for a hitmarker, you can toss in the Portable Radar and see if there's anyone there. If they're using Assassin, too bad, but sometimes they'll panic and be stupid enough to shoot at it as soon as they see it land in front of them, giving themselves away anyway, lol.

One of my most used Tacticals, I believe.

if your whole team is useing the portable radar then you can basically cover half the map with them. thats the problem with them is that everyone on your team can see them. i do use the portable radar all the time though

I love it when my whole team or 3+ players on my team use the portable radar <3

vims1990

Missing Snorlax wrote:

I love it when my whole team or 3+ players on my team use the portable radar <3

I'm quite the opposite.

Even though the portable radar is used by most of my clan mates, I'm against it.

I don't use it myself and never will.

I just find it unbelievable how the community is so dependent on constant radar/baby monitors & I don't blame players for using Assassin & Sitrep to avoid & detect these portable radars lying all over the map.

It just proves how the community have been so dependent on radar & not using sight & sound to detect enemy players.

monkeylord

Not to be pedantic but you do have to still use sight also the babies in the "baby monitor" analogy would be the enemy team

vims1990

monkeylord wrote:

Not to be pedantic but you do have to still use sight also the babies in the "baby monitor" analogy would be the enemy team

Yes, but you require a constant red dot on the mini-map to know the exact position of where the enemy player is.

I'm not trying to say that everyone who uses a portable radar camps right next to it, I'm seen a couple of players place it on a flag as a defensive mechanic.

But personally I don't feel it even fits COD due to it's small maps & general chaotic gameplay.

I mean, isn't there enough ways to locate a enemy through earning a recon drone support pointstreak, using the Recon Pro Perk & Marksman?

I do hope Treyarch removes these baby monitors in their next title. It's time players stop relying on UAV and start using other tactics to locate enemy players.

monkeylord

The radar uses the chaotic nature of some players to the users advantage. As for requiring a constant red dot that is far from the truth in fact no red dot will tell you just as much I play KC and my area is normally well within where the enemy is or getting my butt there as fast as I can.

The radar locks down an area of the map so while run and gunning i'm also keeping my peripheral vision checking the mini map and taking what if anything is displayed there and gauging how everyone is moving (including my team) and adapting tactics on the fly.

Granted the people who sit on the porti radar is a little confusing as it takes away it's true tactical nature.

To speak of tatics but to disregard the radar as a "baby monitor" (again feel bad for the enemy team being called babies) shows that there is a breakdown in the tatical thought process.

You know it's only a matter of time before soldiers have an iphone strapped to their wrist with real time info from an AWAC or predator drone being fed to it.

And I use all of those things lol

Recon

Marksman

Portable Radar

"Sound whoring"

All while staying off the grid with assassin and silenced guns.

Once, I ground myself on a map you're going to have a hell of a time busting me out/taking my flag.

The only thing I don't use is the heartbeat sensor.

Oddly enough, I've been playing HC lately and I'm not doing about the same as core so I'm not really worried about my reliance on the radar lol It's just an added bonus to me.

By the way, portable radars are not as common as you may think =/

vims1990

By the way, portable radars are not as common as you may think =/

For me, it's become noticeable in my lobbies especially when I use Sitrep Pro to see how many portable radars lay around the map when I play Domination all the time.

Last night was horrible especially with at least 3 players laying portable radars on a map like Dome and Hardhat just sitting on them with the addition of support UAV's going rampant throughout the entire game. At least in previous CODs, you have to get at least 2 (with Hardline) kills to earn a UAV.

Once that happens, I'm back to using my Assassin Pro class but to be honest, I just want to use different tier 2 perks. I've tried using a Scrambler but it doesn't help as much.

If I was to balance out the portable radar, they should have either a time limit (similar to how the Trophy System only deflects only 2 projectiles) or reduce the range.

Also, the portable radar only helps the player that uses it, not the entire team.

What suprises me is that when players complain about Assassin, they don't realise that because of support UAV's & portable radars, it's a must-have perk to use in those situations.

I rarely ever come across more than 2 at a time, myself included. You'd really need to have a clan or at least a bunch of friends partied up to get that happening often.

fantasmo

Usually use it to check corner for campers or leave it for my retarded team mates to crowd around, it helps them stay alive to soem extent.

I never camp and use it on all of my rushing classes. I mainly use shotguns so it is very useful knowing where people are coming from as you have to keep your engagements short.

monkeylord

I'm with you on that i've only got one class without it and thats my dome/bootleg one I replace the radar with concussion grenades I don't bother with flash because if you flash them most stop moving whereas with the concussion most will still move about bringing them to you. With recon pro and the PM-9 thoese 2 maps are a breeze

alexjt22

I'm with Vims1990 on this one I hope they remove it in the next COD game. The thing is ridiculous over powered I wouldn't be sitting on as many M.O.A.Bs as I have got without one especially in FFA.

There is no need for heartbeat sensors or motion sensors/portable radars in the game it allows camping to more effective than it should be as well as encourages it along with forcing a certain perk(assassin) on you which makes for a slower game in general and to be given something so powerful off spawn is a joke.

I would compromise and have a tactical grenade which where it lands it gives you the location of nearby enemies for a max of 10 seconds that way it can be used in a more offensive driven way and because its only 10 seconds it wouldn't force people to use assassin

dlundebjerg28

I have started to like the Portable Radar more and more as the prestiges go on, and if it wasn't for the quad XP availible for buying double XP with a token, I probably would've used a prestige token on it last night.

I don't use it to sit on it and stay in its area of saftey either. Typically I toss it in the closest spawn point to where I am. I continue to kill the things in front of me, and when I get a crap spawn that used to result in a death, I'm able to turn around and get the kill before the guy can succesfully shoot me in the back.

When I snipe, I'm a hardcore hardscoper. I play anything but aggressive with a sniper rifle, and I've found the bouncing betty/portable radar combo deadly if you snipe from the right area. Toss the betty to cut off one flank route, and the portable radar to cut off another. If you can find a spot with only two entrances, then your basically guaranteed to survive for a long time using this set up.

Like the MP7 and FAD, the Portable Radar was designed to be superior than most of the other equipment but unlocked three levels before you prestige, so the only way you can really use it aside from just to have a bit of fun before you prestige is if you unlock it with a token. The higher-unlocked weapons/equipment are generally more effective than the lower-unlocked ones. It's not overpowered.

What I really don't understand is why make that horrible, useless RPG unlocked at level 80 while XM25 is unlocked so much earlier?  Why not make it the other way around?

monkeylord

I think superior is subjective for someone who can't or don't like using the mini-map this equipment is useless

Not to mention that I rarely see the FAD all that much. I use it and have liked it myself, but otherwise, it's still all about the ACR 6.8, Type 95, MK14, SCAR-L, and maybe the M4A1 sometimes.

As I said before, I personally haven't seen the Portable Radar used all that often compared to Flash/Concussion/EMP Grenades followed by the Trophy System and Scrambler.

The MP7, on the other hand, is definitely seen tons.

However, the RPG-7 isn't really useless. If anything the XM25 isn't that great...takes 4+ shots to kill a person (an entire clip) normally. Only advantage is rate of fire, but with only 4 rounds each, doesn't feel like that makes much of a difference...

RazaOwnz1

i used a prestige token on it cause its BEAST!