9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2012 2:00 PM by zackyd665 RSS

Modern Warfare 3 "Lan Support"

I really don't understand why this isn't the number one question on everyone's mind in the forums. Why isn't there LAN support?

From what I can tell private matches on xbox live have a great set up. Everythings unlocked right away and you can edit just about every aspect of a match. So why is it so difficult to have the same system for LAN's?

When I google MW3 lan support I get countless articles saying "MW3 Lan support confirmed!" and half of them talk about how MW3 will be better than Battlefield 3 because Battlefield won't have any LAN. So tell me, was it all just a stunt? or do you really assume that the current LAN system was truly an attempt at providing "LAN support".

So we all buy the game, some im sure bought it just to LAN with their friends, and quickly realize that the "LAN support" is non-existant. The public speaks out and is quickly hushed by head developers saying "oh, we'll fix that in the first patch, don't worry". I believe the xbox360 MW3 just had its 5th patch and guess what, no one is even talking about it anymore.

Has something happened between Major League Gaming and Activision? or do the developers just not care anymore? The whole thing stinks and the logic behind it is lacking. Someone explain to me why something that seems like it could be fixed so easily has yet to be fixed. Thanks.

-Frenzy

gt: Frenzy sG

• Re: Modern Warfare 3 "Lan Support"

still waiting for that reply

bump

So I guess it's safe to assume that Infinity Ward and Activision honestly don't care what people want. If they cared they would just fix it and be done, there is absolutely no good reason to not address this issue.

trialstardragon

This game is not about MLG or GB  or about LAN games. It is about online public gaming. So online public will always get more support than offline games. I for one am clad they did not cater to the wanna be pro players of GB or MLG. MLG and GB needs the games more than the games need them.

But you never state why offline lan shouldn't be enabled when its exactlly like a private match without the need to connect to the IW servers or for xbox players the xbox live servers as well.

trialstardragon

There is one simple reason. It helps prvents some of the more obvious and simple hacks or mods from being used.

Plus as I stated this game is about online play, not offline play. So online will always be better supported than offline or private matches. LAN play is the old way, online play is the new way.

Only GB and MLG need LAN play. Not much of a reason otherwise to have it in the game really. Not often is a group of random players going to get together to play a game like CoD in a LAN session unless its related to GB or MLG or something similar. There is no real reason otherwise to do so.

So you don't think lan parties still happen? I was just at one like 2 weeks ago. Also Offline lan is nice for people on xbox live silver, or IDK doing Cheap game tournies.(Like the old gaming center my city had used to do.)

trialstardragon

Not alot of people do LAN parties anymore. So there is not as much of a reason to support it. About the only major reason LAN was ever needed was for things like MLG or GB or tournaments. In todays age where the idea is to get sales from the biggest consumer base that being online gaming, there is less reason to support offline gaming as there once used to be.

Online they can monitor if you cheat, hack, mod, glitch, and use exploits and give out punishmetns as they see fit. Offline they can not really do that. So what better way to find these out then to make it harder to do them by not providing offline support in the game, nearly as much as it once was used.

Is it fair to those that liked offline LAN play, probably not. Do they have to be fair and support the game in every way it could possibly be played? Not at all.

I am actually surprised they even still have private matches or system link games at all in the series. Those area's could be dropped and other things could use that space on the disk instead, like more maps, or a longer story. Would they loose some sales from it, probably so. Would it really matter that much, probably not.

Offline lan support requires less actual data than online MP. Also what rules are you breaking when you cheat or do glitches in an offline match? I'm sorry but if a game that is smaller than 1 gb can handle both online and offline mp while being written in java.