27 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 11:05 PM by BlendiKallaba RSS

If Activision can take down AlterIWNet how come they can't take down cheat site?

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

Activision shuts down a site that improves their game. Yet lets game-killing hacks run rampant. Why make ban candy do all this work when you can do the same thing to hack sites that you did to AlterIW?

• Re: If Activision can take down AlterIWNet how come they can't take down cheat site?
    vims1990

From Activision's point of view:

A modding community improving the state of their previous COD titles to Activision isn't good for sales for future COD titles as players will stick to that game.

A modding community worsening their previous COD titles (through the use of aimbots, hacks etc) force players to buy their next COD title. (Reason why Activision won't deal with them)

Sad really, AlterIWnet improved MW2 after the real IW's collapse especially with dedicated servers & tweaking the exploits of MW2.

• Re: If Activision can take down AlterIWNet how come they can't take down cheat site?
      midago73

Good point and it's also sad that the modders do a better job than the developers themselves and what is really a shame is that loyal customers and people who bought all the games till recently bought them because they were so good and alowed modding, now they treat PC users like **** and sales will dwindle anyway.  They should've probably taken more notice of the modders instead of letting SH loose, they released the game and then left it to die.  Not all  modders are hackers.  People who create hacks are not true modders they are cheats that ecourage others to cheat and often for profit, they need to stop this.  I played on servers using extreme and open warfare which did nothing but improve on already exellent gameplay.  In  fact most of the ideas for the current format came from the true mod community,

I disagree Vims, proper dedicated servers, anti cheat, and a modding community would entice more people to buy the game, because more people would like the game, which means more people would buy the next game.

So they'd sell the original more due to the community made mods (CoD4 and WaW both still sell well for this reason)

and they'd sell more copies of the sequel (just imagine how many sales of MW3 they lost out on due to MW2 not having proper dedi's & mod tools)

A modding community worsening their game will just lose sales in the long run as people lose faith and come to hate the franchise.

Try to imagine where CoD would be today if CoD4 had forced P2P lagnet, restrictions up the ass, and hackers galore. There would be no MW3 because the franchise would be dead!

They're basically the idiots who are killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

I can't believe they took down AlterIWnet, which fixed their game and was FREE! Yet they refuse to go after any of the anti cheat sites which ruin their game and COST MONEY!

Does this mean that AlterMW2 is no longer available also? If so that really sucks.

I purchased MW2 and got about 5 hrs of gameplay out of it before giving up due to inability to find a game + hackers in games I was able to get into. I finally installed AlterMW2 last month, and was FINALLY able to play some decent games,  but I haven't been on it in the past 2 weeks since i've been playing SWToR.

Hmm, a bit odd that they go after the free service that hackers can't hack on, yet they leave the hack sites themselves alone.

It's really starting to look more and more like the big gaming companies have shady backdoor deals with the hack sites for a percentage of their profits. Why else would they completely ignore well known hack sites that have been selling hacks since CoD4.

vims1990

I agree with what you're saying xCRAZY MOFOx but you're looking at the consumer's viewpoint. From Activision's view, instead of consumers forking out money on a yearly basis, they will play the older COD titles which won't generate the record breaking sales for their newer COD titles.

Take Activision's stance on not fixing COD4/COD5 on consoles. They are saying that they cannot support older COD Titles due to the fact that they believe hackers will continue to breach the security patches they bring out. (which is completely b.s)

After IW released a security patch for MW2 on XBOX 360, the hackers were all gone.

I'm sure the same can happen for both COD4/WAW on consoles & PC

They're still screwing themselves out of profit.

Sure they might generate more record breaking sales for a few titles

But they are costing themselves much much more & in the long run.

PC gamers bought MW2 because CoD4 and WaW were good games.

Most of the PC community became outraged at the lack of dedi's in favor of the broken hacker infested lagnet matchmaking system. Especially when DLC packs hit and many found they couldn't play on the maps they purchased due to lagnet matchmaking.

BO releases with dedicated servers. They're not done well, and as a result many people who join the PC CoD community with BO ended up not liking dedi's much due to the kick happy admins enforcing their dumb rules. (that's why you see people who are for lagnet over dedi's, they don't know what a proper dedi is like)  Despite this BO still sells well and stays populated to this day, all entirely due to the ranked dedi's

Then MW3 releases. It's a fact that many who bought the game ONLY did so because they flat out lied and promised us "CoD4 like dedicated servers" Despite the fact that they said they're unranked, "CoD4 like servers" means FUNCTIONAL PROPER DEDICATED SERVERS!! Not the broken hidden joke they gave us.

There are many PC gamers who did not buy MW3 when they discovered the lack of ranked dedi's, and instead stayed with BO, CoD4, or WaW. Not only do I have several on my friends list that refuse to buy it, but there are entire clans who have stayed with previous titles and refuse to get MW3, because of lagnet.

Now BO2 is going to release soon. Treyarch will likely include ranked dedicated servers (they seem to care more about the PC community in that aspect) but if the game comes and does not have dedi's, it will undoubtedly be the lowest selling CoD title on PC so far.

It's pretty much a certainty that if the Sledgehammer team makes the next CoD title after BO2, it will be a complete and utter failure on PC unless they include proper ranked dedicated servers and other basic PC features from day one.

In addition to all of this, sales for MW2 and MW3 will eventually die down to nothing. Wherease CoD4 and WaW are still selling on PC.

So they pumped their sales for a few titles to break some records, they've likely cost themselves more money in the long run than they made off the record breaking sales of MW3.

They also pissed off alot of the PC community, and people who used to be loyal customers of their games. I personally now consider Activision to be nearly as bad if not worse than EA when it comes to screwing over the customer for a quick buck.

I bought CoD4 within the first week of release, preordered WaW, preordered MW2, preordered BO, and preordered MW3. I have purchased all the DLC for every title. I also bought a 2nd copy of CoD4 and plan on buying a 2nd copy of WaW (since I was forced to play them on suckbox at the time due a broken PC)

I also bought a 2nd copy of MW2 only because AlterIWnet existed and there was a way to play the game with ranked dedi's. I planned on buying all it's DLC packs also, but they shut down AlterIWnet so MW2 is now completely unplayable.

As a result I will not be buying any of the DLC for MW3 unless my entire clan does also (since the only way I can play MW3 at all is with my clanmates on the dedi's) and I will not be preordering any CoD title ever again. If (and that's a big if) I do eventually buy BO2, it will be long after release, and after I can be well assured that it has proper ranked dedi's, basic PC features, and much much better optimization.

If MW2 and MW3 had proper ranked dedicated servers, I'd be buying all the DLC for MW3 without even thinking about it, and I'd be preordering BO2 the second I could.

They're killing their own product by not giving us basic PC features.

BRING BACK PROPER DEDICATED SERVERS!!!!

Yes, the sales they are losing, will show up the next time they try to screw over gamers with their next CoD ScamWarfare.

There are many PC gamers who did not buy MW3 when they discovered the lack of ranked dedi's, and instead stayed with BO, CoD4, or WaW. Not only do I have several on my friends list that refuse to buy it, but there are entire clans who have stayed with previous titles and refuse to get MW3, because of lagnet.

Yes, I am in a clan that never bought MW2 for the dedi reason. I tried to entise one of them back, but noooo way, and they Certainly didn't bite on MW3. They are smarter then me, or learn quicker:)

Well Im never buying another Activision/CoD game ever again. I own ever game in the series and some one multiple consoles. This pushed me too far. AlterIW did nothing but improve the CoD Series and brought it to life. The way it should have been. So activision gets jelous and decides to shutdown the people that care more for the players then the money. Im disgusted, and to think I was going to buy ELITE hoping it would help fund better games in the future. I hope activision realizes what they have done and remember what happened to Sony when they did something very similar. The way activision is heading will be their downfall. When money becomes priority over the comminity, coup d'etat.

TehSpeagles

Honestly, I'm surprised it took them this long to shut it down.  I thought for sure AlterIW wasn't going to last more than a couple weeks.

vims1990

TehSpeagles wrote:

Honestly, I'm surprised it took them this long to shut it down.  I thought for sure AlterIW wasn't going to last more than a couple weeks.

They probably didn't realise until now that AlterIWnet was taking some of their playerbase & decided to take action.

Activision don't give two sh*ts about the PC community. It's a shame they removed a modding community simply trying to support COD on PC whilst the developers completely ignore the PC community.

If you're going to take action to AlterIWnet who were trying to support COD PC players, why not remove those who are ruining the franchise with the hacking on PC.

TehSpeagles

I never played on AlterIW, but did it enable you to play with a cracked version of the game?  If so, it's completely understandable why they would get shut down...

Yeah, I'm done with Lack-O-Vision. I'm not buying anything from them ever again.

Only reason I ever bought MW2 was because of AlterIWnet. Now, MW2 is a f u c k i n g coaster... just like MW3 will be soon.

The reason is likely very simple.  They saw AlterIW.net as copyright infringement, no more.  It all but says it right on AlterIW's site.

"As you've definitely heard, alterIWNet received a Cease and Desist notification from Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP on behalf of Activision Publishing Inc, demanding that we stop our operations due to infringing US and International laws."

They were altering something that wasn't there's to alter, and therefore breaking the law.

Too sad alteriwnet is gone. Loved playing iSnipe matches and they just released some of the new maps. They did a lot of great things and really cared about the community and never wanted to have anything. Actvision wants our money but doesnt give us anything, compared to what console players have we dont even have the same game, only the title is the same. I really wish they just dont release on PC anymore, but our small PC community is enough to earn money with, but not enough to listen to us. Too sad, but only thing we can do is not buying their stuff anymore.

{bhc}max|co

The reason theyve taken down alteriwnet is ,because i've heard they are now "sourcing" NT Authority, to bring out an official dedi server service for mw2, if this proves successful then a mw3 dedi server service may follow.. of course we will be EXPECTED TO PAY FOR THESE SERVICES...

cant find official confirmation

but heres NT Authority websitehttp://www.fourdeltaone.net

We don't want console type game play on our PC. If we did we would buy a console(duh). Is this so difficult to understand IW? Logon COD4 and look at how many servers/players there are,16k last I checked. You can play just about anything you want, no mods no problem and a whole @#%$load of mod servers. This was a building block for you guys and yet you threw it in the trash(multiplayer side). When we have to dig in our routers/call ISP(which say this is dangerous and wont help you btw) you guys should say hmmm is this what we want to do here for PC? I was a retard who stood in line for 3 hours to get MW2(thinking IW would not do this to the pc gaming community by taking dedicated servers out, I said its a hoax) and boy was I mad when I got home and installed it and played about 3 hours and aimbots where out already with noway to kick/ban or anything. So what did I do here? I left the "lobby" and tried again only to be in the same game again. I am not some young kid here(35) and prolly don't even cater to your market when you promote your games. As this is obvious when you listened to the kids instead of true PC gamer's and made match making on the PC. While your games are awesome, but you guys have to say to your round table, PC guys are different then console guys we have to fit there market as well. If you cant hear us then don't make a PC side of the game you are making, just turn your backs and never look back. MW3 you did the same thing and yet we listed again. Yes there will be dedicated servers for MW3 then no post or anything till the last min(servers will be unranked) to keep us at bay from not buying your game? Come on guys step it up and listen to us for a change! You have no clue how bad you have destroyed the PC community. Clans have died, competitions have died where you guys should have been all over this and really bring something special back with ESPN gaming tournaments, LAN events and all kinds of things to sell your game on the PC side. I could go on and on. I myself am a competition player( multiple games America's Army, l4d, l4d2, COD4, Alteriw MW2<<picked up where you guys failed and MW3) Now my Clan wants to move to another game. This was my reply to them.  When PC gaming die's I will blame Infinity Ward and Microsoft for this then hang my gaming days up and RAGE QUIT!

If they had any sense they'd partner with AlterIW...

I'd doubt that AIW would partner with IW. It's just a thought, it might really happen, but it's least likely.

Another reason why AIW was shut down was because AIW had no "Steam Check" type thing installed into their AIW program, thus making it illeagal....

But still, I can't believe that Activision fails to see that what they're doing now, will really make CoD series from spectacular, to something you'd see at a pawn shop for 5$. Activision is ruining the series, while modding communities like AIW kept it alive and running.

I can't wait until Activision holds a press conferance and says that they're going to abandon the CoD project and hand it over to Treyarch or some other good game company.

When that happens, we'll all be at AT the press conference laughing and saying this magic phrase:

"WE TOLD YOU SO, *******!"

I'd doubt that AIW would partner with IW. It's just a thought, it might really happen, but it's least likely.

Another reason why AIW was shut down was because AIW had no "Steam Check" type thing installed into their AIW program, thus making it illeagal....

But still, I can't believe that Activision fails to see that what they're doing now, will really make CoD series from spectacular, to something you'd see at a pawn shop for 5$. Activision is ruining the series, while modding communities like AIW kept it alive and running.

I can't wait until Activision holds a press conferance and says that they're going to abandon the CoD project and hand it over to Treyarch or some other good game company.

When that happens, we'll all be at AT the press conference laughing and saying this magic phrase:

"WE TOLD YOU SO, *******!"

-[pro]-bourne wrote:

We don't want console type game play on our PC. If we did we would buy a console(duh). Is this so difficult to understand IW? Logon COD4 and look at how many servers/players there are,16k last I checked. You can play just about anything you want, no mods no problem and a whole @#%$load of mod servers. This was a building block for you guys and yet you threw it in the trash(multiplayer side). When we have to dig in our routers/call ISP(which say this is dangerous and wont help you btw) you guys should say hmmm is this what we want to do here for PC? I was a retard who stood in line for 3 hours to get MW2(thinking IW would not do this to the pc gaming community by taking dedicated servers out, I said its a hoax) and boy was I mad when I got home and installed it and played about 3 hours and aimbots where out already with noway to kick/ban or anything. So what did I do here? I left the "lobby" and tried again only to be in the same game again. I am not some young kid here(35) and prolly don't even cater to your market when you promote your games. As this is obvious when you listened to the kids instead of true PC gamer's and made match making on the PC. While your games are awesome, but you guys have to say to your round table, PC guys are different then console guys we have to fit there market as well. If you cant hear us then don't make a PC side of the game you are making, just turn your backs and never look back. MW3 you did the same thing and yet we listed again. Yes there will be dedicated servers for MW3 then no post or anything till the last min(servers will be unranked) to keep us at bay from not buying your game? Come on guys step it up and listen to us for a change! You have no clue how bad you have destroyed the PC community. Clans have died, competitions have died where you guys should have been all over this and really bring something special back with ESPN gaming tournaments, LAN events and all kinds of things to sell your game on the PC side. I could go on and on. I myself am a competition player( multiple games America's Army, l4d, l4d2, COD4, Alteriw MW2<<picked up where you guys failed and MW3) Now my Clan wants to move to another game. This was my reply to them.  When PC gaming die's I will blame Infinity Ward and Microsoft for this then hang my gaming days up and RAGE QUIT!

I couldn't have said that better^ +1

Why taking down a website? Why not just keep the game up-to-date? New improvments etc.

The viewpoint of IW is (my opinion):

MONEY MONEY MONEY!

DAFUQ?! ALTERIW = IMPROVEMENTS AND MODDING?!

MA MONEY! MA MONEY! LOSING LOSING!

°Thanks to the help of the DLCs content they could afford a new lawyer°

Next day...

MA MONEY! MA MONEY! ....NEW GAME ! OLD ENGINE!

°do MW3°

MORE DLC = MOARE MONEY!

FOR PC = EXPENSIVE

DON'T GIVE A °°°°°°! NO UPDATES, NO IMPROVEMENTS! = MOAR MONEY!