47 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 3:36 AM by aaces101 RSS

Fourzerotwo Resigns!

"@fourzerotwo: Today, I resign from my position as Creative Strategist of Call of Duty, as a lead of Infinity Ward, and as an employee of Activision."

This is sort of upsetting because people ragged on him all day like he could do something about the game when he was only a creative strategist. I know the pressure of working in a major company can weigh hard on people. I wish him a lot of luck in his future endeavors?

What do you think about this news?

• Re: Fourzerotwo Resigns!
    Southend_boi

He had such a easy job... he must be going to respawn or he's having a mid life crisis.

vims1990

Southend_boi wrote:

He had such a easy job... he must be going to respawn or he's having a mid life crisis.

I wouldn't say it's easy considering you have to take so much sh*t from the community over some aspects you cannot control. He's merely a puppet for Activision.

For instance during MW2's fallout, I did hear that RB & his family were receiving death threats over something he could not fix himself unless Activision did not allow the remaining staff at IW to fix MW2.

Not trying to support RB over here. His "No Last Stand" comments at COD XP pissed me off (he could have avoided making that statement)

CM's are the just the messenger boy or "punching bag" for the developers & Activision.

There's so much crap that a CM can handle until they get sick of it.

I don't think he's going to Respawn Entertainment as a CM's position has already filled.

sfod-dsandman

No ****. You don;t understand a thing. First, he has always fought for the gamer rights, But Activision and their desire are too big so they decide to shut his mouth and limit the thing the team can do. All kind of money **** with microsoft has ruined this game, he doesn't like that, i could tell. He fought hard for the PC community, but the money that Activision makes from Consoles markets pushed that away

I really feel hopeless from this moment for PC gamers like me and other Call of Duty lovers as well. If anyone want to talk **** about him, you just don;t know and understand him. I am on his side, no matter what you say.,

vims1990

Why are you getting angry at me?

I stated that I felt bad to how much crap he gets from the community but in the same time I I'm disappointed in the way he handled the issues such as his blunder at COD XP with "F U Last Stand!".

Anyone with a PR position has the toughest job because at the end of the day, you are merely a puppet for your company & your fellow employees. (which ends up with you being the punching bag or that guy you complain your issues to)

Some say Robert Bowling was fired. I highly doubt it.

I think he left on his own terms because he couldn't handle the stress of being the CM of a new reconstructed IW.

sfod-dsandman

Everyone hates last stand right? because it piss you off everytime when you knock a guy down and still have to finish him again. He was excited because it is what the community desired , he has been always fought for us. Just a damn few people know about that

I am sorry, i didn't really mean to blame you. And this is not an easy job, i was about to quote the guy above you. You receive like few hundred tweets a day to read and half of them will be haters and ****.  You go and deal with it and see how long you will last.

iamhollywood5

What do I think?  Good for him.  First of all he sucked at his job, he needs to do something he's better at.  Second, I believe his job severely damaged his mental health.  Just read one day's worth of the tweets he gets and read about the death threats people sent him in the mail (and I don't blame people for the rage either, MW2 and 3 have both been a mockery of FPS) but I bet you the guy is gonna have PTSD for the rest of his life after dealing with the COD community.  So i'm glad he's relieved from all the verbal abuse.  But god save the next IW community manager if IW never starts listening to the community...

50calmastr

Sorry, must have misunderstood one of your posts, my bad.

matuzz

First jd_2020 and now fourzerotwo.

Hopefully some one who backs up the PC community will take his place.

But this is happy day.

mralpharogue

If anything, all the recent hackings and future moding stuff with knock the PC community out.

Just think... Moding wouldn't be as big of an issue if the PC community couldn't get their hands on the game. 99% of all game mods/hacks come from the PC community.

All the console users have to worry about are modded controllers and glitches until the PC community effs everything up.

Just saying... PC community keeps screwing themselves.

50calmastr

And recently the infamous ac-130 hack. You shoot 105 rounds out of your labtop

matuzz

Your lvl of stupidity amazes me.

mralpharogue

It sure doesn't take a lot to amaze you then.

Thank you for your oh-so intelligent response, good sir.

You used a 9 letter word.

You must be so smart.

Please, do try to come up with an intelligent response that supports your claim next time. And though this might be hard for you, try to contribute to the topic.

My hypothesis still stands.

matuzz

You know even if there wouldn't be PC version it doesn't take rocket scientst to transfer the xbox files to PC and make hacks....

For instance Black Ops was modded on xbox 360 BEFORE game was released or any pc cracks were leaked. So yeah getting rid of PC will totally take out your hacks....

And if it wasn't for PC community the Call of Duty wouldn't be the same, well it wouldn't excist but other than that Infinity Ward took HUGE ammounts of things from PC mods to the Modern Warfare 2.

Maybe you shouldn't bash PC community but the Infinity Ward who can't make anti cheat system to their game or even make modding difficult. And blame Microsoft also for making Xbox so easy to mod that you get those evil hack and mods ruin your complaints about bugs and glitches.

So your "hypothesis" doesn't stand ****.

I get a kick at how this discussion has been pushed to the least used section of this forum, it's almost like they don't want this front and center.

At least while Robert was here there was some connection with the development team and it at least seemed like our voice was heard.

Can't say we lost anything important here.  I thought he handled the hate well but I don't think he took many suggestions to heart.  I think the developers in general need to be less proud and own up to their mistakes.  Like Final Stand and Dead Man's Hand.  At least tweak them so they're less annoying.  But instead they stick to their guns and they aren't very good positions.

The only fallout I see from this is me unfollowing him and moving on to the next one, if there will be.  Hell, if they're smart, they'll start using these forums for feedback and not twitter....

trialstardragon

Eh, I wish him better luck at his next job and maybe that he will not have to deal with so many entitlement minded individuals as that plagues the CoD series. Perhaps in his next job he will be taken more serious and given a better chance at doing what he can do. I do not blame him at all for leaving. I know if I was in his shoes and had to deal with all the shiat he has been through I probably would have thrown in the towel sooner than this and probably done so in less than a polite way as he has done.

Its true the CoD community sucks especially on this site, but this isnt really a loss. He didn't talk to us, he didn't ask for our thoughts, he didn't post any threads on this site asking what we would like to see, he barely responded to people on his twitter feed. Good riddance, looking forward to Black Ops 2 and Vahn.

iamhollywood5

mralpharogue,

the fact that you blame the PC gamers for console hacking and the all-around sh*tty-ness of the console CoD community and the brokeness of MW3 indicates that you are both 12 years old and not a long-time CoD player.

Let me let you in on something:  If it wasn't for PC gamers, you wouldn't have COD at all.  COD started out as a PC-only game.  In fact you would even have your derpbox 360 if it wasn't for the original PC gamers.  I myself play the derpbox, unfortunately, but I have my facts straight, and PC players have nothing to do with console hacking.  In fact I'd like to see a citation for "99% of all hacks come from the PC community" - that has to be the derpiest thing I've heard all day.  And look at BF3 - that game has far more PC players than console players, and it's hack free.  All BF games have been.

I've played since COD3, much longer than you, and I know exactly what Robert Bowlhead does (or did).  He once had the title of "Community Manager."  His main job was PR, communicating with the players, and announcing important updates like patches and DLC.  He eventually went on to being Creative Strategist.  His new job description didn't exactly require him to do any of the old community manager responsibilites he once had, but he chose to still interact with the community on twitter, although he completely dropped forum communication.  A Creative Strategist is supposed to take in feedback and bring it to developer team meetings and advise the dev team on the general direction to go with the game.  The CS doesn't get to make all the final decisions but his voice is still important when choosing the creative direction of the project and making major creative decisions.

Bowlhead did not fulfill his job responsibilities and he has made this clear numerous times by demonstrating that he doesn't actually know how his own game works and gets some pretty major facts wrong.  He has claimed that the Hybrid Sight requires the 2 Attachments proficiency, he has claimed that all shotguns shoot 9 pellets after the buff (when in fact only 3 of the 6 shoot 9 pellets) and he also said SitRep would counter Dead Silence, among many other facts he had completely wrong about his own game.  If you don't know major things like that, that means you weren't involved in those creative decisions.

All in all, RB was a whipping boy, a mule who simply did exactly whatever the Activision execs told him to do and say.  He stepped out of line a few times and pissed off those Atvi execs, and now he's gone.

Go back to your corner where you can hurr and durr some more.

First Josh now this guy.

Ha.. Hahaha

Barely 4 hours after announcing his "resignation," he's already playing up the "stay tuned" hype...

twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo/status/184449051280941056

"Thanks for the outpour of support! I can promise you 1 thing. Whatever adventure is next, I plan on sharing all of it with you, right here."

dtuchpunk

People quite there job every day. Only because he's known it big news.
    Only thing I've to say is

a.d.p.alien

Only posts  402 made in here was bad news for the P.C. players. About  7 posts total.

n3ckchoke

Film_Not_Rated

If this is a joke, or he really left because of the community, I feel him.

This community (Not the people on the forums) is a bunch of whining kids who cry OP everytime they die.

Sure, remember back in Black Ops if anyone knew Whiteboy or watched him on Youtube, he would make tons of videos saying "FU JD_2020" And he has a great number of subs, so take lets say 900,00 watchers to see the video and only 2/4 know Whiteboy was joking (cause apparently they are actually some-what friends now.) the other half doesn't know this and blamed JD for everything just cause of the commentator.

RB honestly didn't handle things like he said but did I hate on him? No, he actually seems like a great/funny person but when you get a terrible community such as CoD (again not the forumers.) to all hate on someone for them just being terrible i'm sure all the feedback he got did get to him and him not being able to say "It's not MY fault I did ALL I can do so SHUT UP" Probably made him take this path.

Regardless, the community blames the wrong people.

esmorgue

Who is Robert Bowling?

People talking about this over on the MS forums also. http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_360_games/a_d/call_of_duty_modern_warfar e_3/f/2315/t/229507.aspx

-

My thought are on that page. For some reason it wont let me cut and paste it and it would take WAY too long to rewrite it again as it was tl;dr in teh first place. But its full of usefull thoughts and COD history.

bo2000

RB did a lousy job as Community Manager since he wasn't successfull in sellung us what IW/Activision wanted and he wasn't able to get our point across to them. As a Creative Strategist he might had some visions that could have been good for gamers and publishers but since the outcome was bad developed it just created frustration and hate.

So yeah it was the right choice to leave the sinking ship and there will be more to follow. Will this improve our situation? No way. It's most likely Activision accepts that this game has no future und will waste no more time and money but concentrate on creating a new hype for Black Ops 2, which will be the last COD ever.

rainmaker6

You know there are a lot of things I don't like about MW3, like the small maps, the excessive junk on the maps, under powered explosives, the lag (although of late that has actually improved for me) and akimbo weapons to name some. But the hate for Bowling was over the top. I did contribute to that when I posted how useless claymores and bettys were and then stated that was another Bowling failure. Regardless of what I thought about the game I should have never made it personal and I am actually sorry about that. The game has flaws but sometimes that's what happens when you try something different. And from my over 20 year working career I have learnt that it is infinitely easier to criticize someone's idea than it is to defend your own. They got some of the balance wrong but it's a game. Let's not lose perspective here and make what we don't like about the game into personal attacks.

aaces101

Man that Michael Jackson was one smooth sob at one time. Wtf happened to him?

Robert Bowling imo brought much of the grief on himself. Of course he had an unbelievably stressfull job dealing with the COD community. Anyone that says otherwise has probably never had a job. Much of the hate he recieved was definitely misdirected, however he did an excellent job of shooting himself in the foot. Ie: "eff you last stand". Why the hell would you say something like that? Either 1) He was just doing it just to pump up the crowd, or 2) He honestly did not know the exact same version + one ten times worse (DM'sH) would be in the game. I mean really, I see final stand or DMH wayyy more in this than i ever did in BOPs. At least in BOPs you had to forego some other really good perks in order to use it. Now, I'm just giving this as an example mind you, there are plenty more where that came from. This one just happens to be a biggie. Did he deserve death threats because of it? No, he didn't. Should he have been fired/forced to resign because of this and other bloopers like it. Absolutely!

Personally, I am excited to see what the next person can do to right this ship. COD is very lucky that there is no other real competition in the FPS market. In other words, they still have time to save themselves, but they better get on it qickly.