19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2012 10:53 AM by THExJUDGE RSS

AS50 - why can't I kill anyone with this thing?

WKMMS

In my little quest to achieve maximum weapon proficiency with all guns in this game, I thought I'd try out the 2nd of the Big Bertha snipers, the AS50.  I don't know what it is about this gun, but in my case, it seems to be shooting nerf darts and I just seem to get hit marker after hit marker.  I'm usually a pretty decent shot, not the best in the world by any means, but certainly my aim is consistently good and I always do well with the L118A, MSR, and Barrett.  Maybe it's just the way the lagvantage has been against me recently, or maybe something else.  Just wondering what you guys think about this gun and if anyone who uses it regularly has any suggestions for class/proficiency/attachment set ups that might help me get the most out of it.

• Re: AS50 - why can't I kill anyone with this thing?
    bigjon00

im trying to get the title for the AS50 i dont have any problem with the htimarkers but just scope is crap , lag might be your problem thats the only thing i can think of really

CowboySr

Are you using the variable scope on it? The starting scope has a low magnification on it, but the gun gets very few hit markers. Ive always said though, once you put the variable on it, it loses power. Which makes no sense.

WKMMS

haven't unlocked variable scope yet, agree that the regular scope isn't great with the reduced zoom compared to the stock scopes on the others.  Would it also be correct to say that you move even slower with the AS50 compared to the Barrett? I switched to the Barrett after a couple of rough games yesterday and just felt that little bit more nimble, and my shots were definitely hitting their mark with much greater regularlity.

CowboySr

Theres something wrong with this gun beyond the poor magnification IMO. This is how I break down the snipers IMO.

Best 50.cal. Not the best scope, but OSKs the most and you can panic rapid fire.

MSR and L18 have the best scopes but dont OSK as much as the .50. MSR>L18 because it has a bit more mobility.

AS50 OSK like the 50 but magnification so low its better with an acog.And at that point you might as well just use an MK14.

RSAS is for modders

Dagonov is a nerf gun.

What Ive noticed is that once you put a variable scope on any of these snipers-they lose a % of the OSK, for some reason, so I never use them.

Hey I'm trying to do the same thing Achieve max prof with all weapons. I haven't gotten to snipers yet and funnily enough the only one I've done so far is the SVD, so I guess it's good I've gotten the toughest one out of the way.

In my opinion the AS50 is probably the second worse sniper. Maybe that's because I don't know how to use it well though. I like bolt actions so those are automatically top for me, then probably RSASS for the huge mag/low recoil, and I'd probably prefer the .50 cal over the AS50. Then I obviously just use the SVD for kicks (no pun intended).

WKMMS

I only used the SVD for a couple of games on Misson at the end of my last prestige, but had a couple of okay scores with it, may have just been beginners luck though.  I picked up an RSASS with an ACOG on during a game of Dom on Lockdown.  That thing is a lot of fun to use and is next on my list if I can just level up that AS50 7 more times

that6uy420

not sure why you can't kill anyone with it .. I picked up the game after a month hiatus and rocked this gun with a nifty positive ration throughout the match...  didn't even have to camp to get it and sure as hell didn't QS

The AS50 is a watered down version of the Barrett, with a shorter zoom and smaller clip. It kills just as fine as the Barrett is you aim right.

scolia5044

The only dislike i have  with the AS50 is the starting scope i don't have any problems getting OHK'S but i always seem too stop using it halfway through a prestige

USDT

i get lots of hitmarkers with the msr. but i figured out it is when lag comp is acting up. since ive even killed a guy without even shooting to the guy.

i usually use snipers with focus and extended mags. focus because when not used, if you get shot, flinching in snipers is the worst and extended mags is for those more aggresive situations when i need to take out a lot of people without the time to reload.

for secondary:

MP9 with suppressor or extended mags

perks i use:

blind eye - because im a mobile sniper, usually outside

quickdraw - to aim faster (its a must in sniping if you are a mobile sniper)

marksman - its basically a legal wall hack, so you will se enemies coming from far, through smoke, sometimes even through walls

killstreaks i use:

UAV

CUAV

WKMMS

I would normally use focus on most of my weapons, but I really like using speed on the snipers since I tried it recently and would typically go with the MSR, speed, extended mags, with akimbo pistols for the quicker draw time rather than a machine pistol, though I do like the MP9 with a silencer. 

Perks would be Blind eye, Quickdraw and either Steady Aim or Marksman.  I use Steady Aim in FFA because I tend to be moving a bit more and are more likely to be surprised by an enemy, so I want to have my gun ready that bit faster especially if I'm gonna need to go for the QS. 

Marksman I prefer for objectives, particularly dropzone, so I can pick the guys through the smoke and play the more traditional supporting sniper role.

Only reason I could think of is that you aren't hitting them is that you are Quickscoping. But I could be wrong. If you are a traditional/hardscoper sniper like me, I think it might just be lag issues.

WKMMS

I would say I'm a sniper who will quickscope when the situation calls for it, but for the most part I try to control the long sight lines on whatever map I'm playing.  I was talking at the time (and this is an older post) about proper precision aimed shots that just were either not registering or getting undeserved hit-markers.  I think it was a combination of lag and the shorter magnification of the scope since the last time I picked the gun up and levelled to gold it was a much more effective killing machine

The AS50 was the second sniper rifle that I maxed out. At first I was getting hit markers with it but as I got used to it, it became my 2nd favorite sniper. The 50 cal is in close 3rd. I use the variable zoom scope on all my snipers and get OSK about 95% of the time. Though I tend to use the thermal scope on a couple maps.

I usually hate sniping. I run and gun, camp, everything. I cant quick scope, not a fan of it, but i accept it. I do however like the AS50. I can run it with kick and an acog, or kick extended ags. Its the only sniper i like in any COD. Usually kills in one hit for me inles i graze my target.