47 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2012 1:14 PM by Gerbera_Kai RSS

Would a Bad Ass MW3 Shooter make a Good Soldier??

WolfRidge

I have always questioned as to whether or not some person who is a COD Elite would make a good effective Killin Machine?

I'm not talkin about courage, you either have it or you don't.

From a technical shooter, mission, point of view could a COD Legend do it 4 real??

p.s I have a Clan mate who teaches Sniping, 4 Real,  he said it's easier in real life than on COD

• Re: Would a Bad Ass MW3 Shooter make a Good Soldier??

I was a Marine Corps PMI (Primary Marksmanship Instructor), and member of the Marine Rifle Team and I only have a K/D of about .9. I could put a bullet square in your forehead from 500 yards with "iron sights" no support and standing. Still doesn't translate into good with a PS3 analog controller. Two different beasts.

WolfRidge wrote:

I have always questioned as to whether or not some person who is a COD Elite would make a good effective Killin Machine?

From a technical shooter, mission, point of view could a COD Legend do it 4 real??

p.s I have a Clan mate who teaches Sniping, 4 Real,  he said it's easier in real life than on COD

I have several cousins who have attended service academies in both the US and South Korea (my parents are Korean ex-pats). I myself looked into both the Naval Academy and the Air Force Academy.

From my conversations with my cousins and current members of the armed forces, I've gotten the impression that today's military is a more professional one and that being an officer is a much greater asset than being an enlisted soldier.

A college degree is needed to become an officer and honestly, there are so many ignorant players on Call of Duty who just don't have the baseline intelligence necessary for a college degree.

All of the Special Operations soldiers - the SEALS, Army Rangers, etc. - are officers. Like I stated above, the average Call of Duty player lacks the necessary intelligence to become a soldier in today's US military.

sml7285 wrote:

WolfRidge wrote:

I have several cousins who have attended service academies in both the US and South Korea (my parents are Korean ex-pats). I myself looked into both the Naval Academy and the Air Force Academy.

From my conversations with my cousins and current members of the armed forces, I've gotten the impression that today's military is a more professional one and that being an officer is a much greater asset than being an enlisted soldier.

A college degree is needed to become an officer and honestly, there are so many ignorant players on Call of Duty who just don't have the baseline intelligence necessary for a college degree.

All of the Special Operations soldiers - the SEALS, Army Rangers, etc. - are officers. Like I stated above, the average Call of Duty player lacks the necessary intelligence to become a soldier in today's US military.

This is responding to the last paragraph.  You said " All of the Special Operations soldiers-the SEALs, Army Rangers, etc. -are officers."  Now all of you excuse me for a second.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.  The SEALs (and by the way its SEALs not SEALS.) are enlisted men and officers, which is one of the many reasons that sets SEALs apart from other SOFs (Special Operations Forces).  The officers and enlisted men go through training together.  And forgive me if I am wrong but I don't think any other SOFs have officers and enilsted men go through the same training at the same time together.

MrCham

Agrees with MeanestPeenis.

They don't translate since there is the true and real situation of bullets flying back at you. You simply will not behave in the same precarious manner, since you only have life to spend. SOF aren't all officers, there are some very senior NCO's as well (Sgt, WO's and alike). I play the game like I was taught back in the day, as a squad designated marksman and I usually I let others be foolish enough to run around. And squad based play isn't really an option since the majority of CoDers are under the age of 16.

MrCham

Agrees with MeanestPeenis.

They don't translate since there is the true and real situation of bullets flying back at you. You simply will not behave in the same precarious manner, since you only have life to spend. SOF aren't all officers, there are some very senior NCO's as well (Sgt, WO's and alike). I play the game like I was taught back in the day, as a squad designated marksman and I usually I let others be foolish enough to run around. And squad based play isn't really an option since the majority of CoDers are under the age of 16.

kourtvizion

Like anything in life it would require a lot of practice / dedication to become elite. 

It is possible for someone who has a knack for FPS games to become a good shooter  but they are mutually exclusive.  Just becuase you are good with a controller doesnt mean you automatically know how to fire a gun. They would have to become familiar with each weapon.

A good show that I watch is TopShot.  Its about elite marksmen who compete in challenges for money .. like any other TV show but they have to use a variety of weapons.  Even elite markmen have very specific preferences for the gun they use and when taken outside of their comfort zone they struggle.   Just because you are good with a pistol doesn't mean you are good with rifle.  They fire at two different trajectories and adjustments have to be made on the fly. 

I read this article about the longest confirmed kill with a sniper rifle.  It was about 1.2 miles.  The marksman said he had to fire 7 feet above his target and 5 feet to the left or right.  Something like that. Only through dedication and practice would you know to make the adjustments nessary to make that shot.

Yeah right, and someone that dominates on Guitar Hero would be able to go on tour with any rock band tommorow.  Or a really good player on Need for Speed is ready for NASCAR...

Video game skills do not translate to real life.  Would I be wrong to assume the OP is a 12 year old that has ZERO life experience?

Coming from an avid shooter, with pistols, assault rifles, and bolt action sniper rifles, he must REALLY suck at CoD to think it's easier in real life.

First of all, quickscoping doesn't exist in real life. Guns are heavy.

Secondly, do a little research on the amount of knowledge you have to have, and the amount of calculations you have to do to be accurate in real life at long distances with a rifle. The obvious ones would be wind speed (at your position and the targets position), bullet drop, and speed of target etc. The not so obvious ones would be things like the temperature of the barrel, bullet weight, muzzle velocity, the barometric pressure, altitude, temperature of the air, rifle cant and angle, even the coriolis effect (rotation of the earth).

So he's pretty much wrong. It's crazy easy to snipe in CoD.

Thank you! Video games do not translate to real life.  Anyone who believes so is 12 years old or younger and is fresh off his mother's breast...

lukele

so i can stop listening to you being stupid heres a few ways cod does translate to real life

fps help you develop reaction time important in a combat situation yes

in cod you learn that both perception and knowledge of your surrondings can give you several advantages like alternate lines of sight and that in a foreign enviroment its best to be cautious and be quick

while several obvious things don't like quick scoping don't think it has no real value

Are you seriously asking this question? CoD is the least realistic military shooter available. So the answer is nooooooooooo.

bulldog25413

Sorry to bust your bubble, but CoD is by far not the most realistic shooter. I believe even Sniper was more real (not counting the graphics) on the fact you had to take in the bullet drop and windage. Hell MAG is more real IMO. CoD is not realistic at all. -Coming from a former Army EOD Tech that was attached to first group (dont ask why, I know it was pointless in a way, but those that are/were in lately knows the Army doesnt think sometimes)

WolfRidge wrote:

No it doesn't.

jwaller123

WolfRidge wrote:

I have been blessed to have been part of the greatest shooting group of all time......The United States Marine Corp. So my answer is no, they would not make an effective killing machine persay. In COD you just aim and shoot. If your crosshairs are on target then you get a kill. In real life there is a thing called wind and mother nature. SO many things to account for. Bullet drop, temperature, altitude, crosswinds, humidity, type of ammo, type of gun...etc... the list goes on. So just because you can snipe or kill easily in COD does not mean you can do it in real life. Plus, you only get one life, so run-n-gun is out of the question. Lol. I would be a camper for sure if this was real life. Lol.

Izjar11

Are you serious? Child you cannot compare the feel for a actual weapon to a friggin PS3 controller, dude its only MAKE BELIEVE. If you want to test yourself go to a gun range, try it!

There is little comparison between this game and the real world and the only dexterity involved in these games is in your fingers. 

...try to pick up 2 FMG9s or any machine pistol/SMG, fire while standing and running around, and see how accurate you are...

...run and gun around with a Striker/SMG/Sniper Rifle in a city in hostile territory and see how well you do...

...throw a Frag Grenade in front of you and take 20 steps back and see what happens...

...call in some kind of aerial support and see how long it takes...

End point...no...even the best CoD Elite would get mowed down extremely quickly in real life presuming they're not already a trained/experienced soldier.

i_m_c01

Your mates blagging you, changing magazines, stoppages, windage etc etc. I was in the army and one of the guys in my troop was a sniper and offered to teach me and two other guys how to use the L96. Bored the f u * k out of us. Maybe to technical for us lol. For your mate to say it's easier in real life, he must be talking bout a nerf gun or something from Toys R Us.

Seriously lost interest in half an hour, got to be one of the most over glamourised roles in the army. SA80 any day all day.

Yeah, a lot of people tend to over-glorify the role of a sniper as like CoD and you'd sit back in the middle of a big fire fight, picking people off left and right in the chaos (which COULD happen, but not as often as people like to think) when actual key sniper missions would, for people like them, be EXTREMELY boring, sometimes forcing the team (yes team, usually 2 guys, not one man *GASP!*) to wait for WEEKS for their target to show up and even then, they may not get a good opportunity to take the shot and be forced to wait even longer until they either get the shot or the mission is ordered to be aborted for some reason.

As mentioned a lot already, it's far from just a point-and-shoot, but having to take in many different variables with help from their teammate as a spotter. But you also won't always get the opportunity to correct yourself on such missions either as it's usually just 1 shot and get the hell out of there, so you can't test fire to get all your info down.

Why else would the American Army put out a game?

esmorgue

I highly doubt it.

SheSaidNo

I read a study that video games help with your peripheral vision.  I guess if you were to translate that to real life marksmanship, it would help you pick out targets in the field.  Now whether you can hit them or not is a different story.

rlbl

Ok, So let me get this straight: someone might think that someone running around in the open spraying and praying, or quickscoping etc... with SOH and Quickdraw Pro  (and scavenger of course) would make a good real life soldier?

*sigh*

Was this post serious?  Did I just get bated and lured?

Can you imagine that?

Soldier: Ouch I got shot! What do you mean my sensitivity is not on 10 and I cannot drop shot that guy!  I should have seen him before... damn I better switch my load-out on respawn and equip marksman pro!!! I am gonna no-scope him into next week!

God: *facepalm*

HELL the FRIG nooo.  That has to be the absolute dumbest notion I may have ever heard.  That is like comparing an apple to a Porche.

It's like Han Solo said in Star Wars:

Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living, that's something else.

The only thing this game consistently does is piss people off .. So, if pissing a soldier off would improve his performance, then that soldier would be amazing ..

well no dude thats such a 12 year old thing to even ask XD Of course they wouldnt make a good soldier. Playing a VIDEO GAME and being out there for real are two different things. I know many soldiers and my father was a soldier and YES they both cause mental and physical stress but its not the same kind of stress that you'd feel in a real battle situation. It just would not happen like that. FYI sniping in CoD is obviously easier than in real life. CoD you can run around and snipe. a REAL sniper doesnt ******* run around quick scoping XD if they did that they would die because in real life a shotgun beats a sniper in close quarters almost every time unless the sniper is clearly undectected and out of sight AND behind that guy... lol

Lmfao I do hope you were not being serious! as if you are (especially as you say your 30+) I guess your mama dropped you on your head when you were a baby.

in case you are being serious, see below.

The question is an insult to anyone who has served in the military and even more so if they served in a conflict (as i have done) As for your clan friend, well I would have to call bs as to if he has served in the military at all. And if he by any chance is genuine I would hate to have him in my squad, as I think he would be dangerous.

Raising a real weapon, aiming and taking that shot that takes someone's life. Should NEVER EVER be compared to doing it in a game. It is definitely not easier in REAL life and to de humanize that action and say it is, is pure psycho and imo is more the thought of a crazy person who would likely turn into a mass murderer.

No they are worlds apart

1WizardGuy

To answer the OP...no. The first time he tries to run and gun he'll end up dead.

maccabi

WolfRidge wrote:

yes as its a well known fact the germans lost ww2 as they couldnt quickscope and america won the battle of iwo jima as their team actually capped flags and didnt camp

maccabi

actually in amore serious note..

i know of at least two armies that use xbox controllers to control radio controlled unmanned vehicles so those months whacking peeps with ac130s ect might be a useful skillset

Yeah, like the remote controlled drone that you can mount the AA-12 on is actually controlled by a XB360 controller, lol.

Of course, then you gotta take into account the lag time and all that XP  lol