38 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 1:20 PM by r8edtripx RSS

Call of Duty Dying?

O NOES sales are down 4.2 percent, head for the hills with your money Activision! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-r0ME1dDlw

• Re: Call of Duty Dying?

just because sales are down doesnt mean cod is dying dont forget it came out in november and that when most people got it plus who gives a crap what some random idiot on youtube thinks as long as they keep turning out games people will still buy them

Rednecksniper39

They are down becuase so many people bought the game in the first few months. Sales always go down around this time of year because everyone already has the game. You can not expect sales to keep going up.

CowboySr

Boy is this a dumb thread. Like I should go out and buy a new copy of MW3 every month?

That is strange, 6 months in I honestly anticipated at least a 20% increase in sales, cod really must be dying...

Well, it probably helps to read the article.  Because the sales slow down is not compared to previous months as many of you thought, it's in comparison to the same timeframe for BOPS last year

To whit:

Previous analyst predictions were right: it looks like ongoing sales of the annual Call of Duty franchise are beginning to slow down.

Life-to-date sales of 2011's entry Modern Warfare 3 are behind where 2010's Black Ops was at this time last year, despite the former having a stronger debut.

While exact sales numbers are not public, analysts at Macquarie Equities say that Modern Warfare 3 volume sales are behind by around 4.2 percent.

Notably, March sales in particular were damning, with last month's sales of Modern Warfare 3 reportedly less than half the amount that Black Ops sold at that time last year.

Analysts at PiperJaffray say that these numbers could indicate significant changes in the market: specifically, the firm believes that casual players -- those who don't necessarily purchase a game at launch -- are buying less games at retail, and are instead using their consoles primarily for video streaming and other forms of media consumption.

Webush Securities analyst Michael Pachter added that March's weak performance could indicate that software sales are becoming more reliant on new releases, meaning consumers are less often buying games after their initial debut.

Publisher Activision Blizzard does not rely entirely on boxed retail sales for Call of Duty revenue. In fact, 34 percent of the company's revenue in its last fiscal quarter came from digital sales, much of that from the 1.5 million annual premium subscribers to its Call of Duty Elite service.

so... is it the economy?  Or is it the game play?  Probably the former as the hard core players bought the title out-right... the "late adopters" to MW3 usually are the more casual type plus those with new console systems... which are also slowing down in sales as the current gen platforms have gotten old and have a high household penetration rate.

Interesting to note that activision makes a truckload from elite and DLC. Wow.  1.5MM times $60... a cool $90 mill a year for running a marginal website and having some oneline tournaments.  The profit margin on that business must be ludicrous.

But it does beg the question... has COD "jumped the shark"?   All entertainment properties do, eventually.  Think... American Idol.  Jumped the shark years ago.  Or Survivor.  Still legitmate businesses, but clearly past their peak.

BOPS2 launch will be heavily watched to see this effect.  You can bet your lunch money that Activision's stock will be highly dependent on BOPS2 making a big launch.  They will probably spend appropriately on the marketing/advertising front to try and ensure that.

I don't know for sure but I think many MW2 fanboys probably didn't purchase Bops on release because of the removal of QS'ing and more and more may have bought it later simply because a lot of friends were playing but with MW3 most Bops and MW2 players purchased it on release obviously leading to less sales in the months after.

Rednecksniper39

PeteyLew wrote:

so... is it the economy?  Or is it the game play? 

Could it be the fact that it sold more at launch so less people are buying it down the road? Either way Call of Duty is far from dying.

No, the article says "Life to date sales"... so that means total sales at this point since launch for MW3 vs BOPS.  MW3 is behind BOPS in total unit sales.  It doesn't matter when they bought it.. it's how many have been bought so far.

Rednecksniper39

Okay but I would still say that COD is far from dying. When they sell less than 1 million units in total then I would say it is dying. Being behind 4.2% is nothing.

Oh, I definitely agree.  It's an enormous money-maker any way you look at it and doubtful that it will go away within the next 2 years (2 releases). 

But... it could be the signal of the start of the decline... when your latest installment doesn't outsell your previous one.

On the postive news side... that could force Activision and it's studios to fix some of the inherent issues to the game.. and/or add cool new features that increase quality of game play/enjoyment.

It could happen.... companies tend to respond to crisis better than success.

Another thing that may contribute to this peteylew is the amount of people who traded the game in early compared to the people who traded Bops as the pre-owned sales dont count towards it, I know a good few people who have traded this in already who have kept bops to this very day.

Rednecksniper39

If we see another decline in the next release then I would say it is the start. Like if there is a decline from BO 1 to BO2. I can also see this as people hating IW and loving Treyarch so they did not buy MW3. IF there is a drop again next year maybe Activision will decide it is time to improve things.

Perhaps your right, but I tell you... they didn't plan their 2012 business for MW3 to sell less than BOPS.  The stock price and probably everybody's bonus is based on that happening and it isn't... when people don't get paid, especially when they have stars in their eyes about the potential for upside from MW3 being an even bigger hit than expected (and that's what the media hype would have lead you to believe prior to launch)...   they tend to react.

I don't think they'll wait for BOPS2 to potentially decline. I bet there are a crap load of meetings going on there talking about what can be done to "Get the franchise back on track".  Both short-term (jazz up the MW3 sales through some sort of marketing/advertising campaign) and longer-term (content/product improvement...)

Trust me on this... I've spent 20+ years in brand management... I'd lay a good chunk of cash on the line that this is exactly the case at Activision HQ.

Simple explanation, Black Ops was the better game so it sold more copies. That and look at the competition that each game had in the March following their release. BO had Homefront, a game that was advertised to challenge BO in competitive play. Yeah, how did that turn out?

Whereas MW3 had Mass Effect 3 launch a few weeks ago, a very popular franchise, with a very controversial ending. Did ME3 cut into MW3 sales? Most likely. The fact that last winter was a very loaded season for games, and still MW3 is only 4% behind BO in sales while being imo an inferior installment pretty much means, The CoD franchise is alive and well.

We can also add BF3 to the list of shooters that have launched next to a CoD title and failed to have any effect on the franchise. I find it funny that since both games launched no one has compared the sales numbers between the two games.

Good points, But I disagree on BF3 is not a challenge for them as it's the closest subsitute whereas mass effect is Sci Fi.  I'm sure somewhere there are some BF3 sales #s.  But my own sense is that it's sort of fallen off the radar a bit.  Hard to take out the king in one shot...

But... the decline is recent and preceptious vs. BOPS steadier sales... hard to maybe point at any one factor.. i'm sure these arguments are flying all over Activisions' corporate HQ right now.

Regardless, the end result is disappointing sales and that should have a domino effect.

I only hope people wise up and the immature 13 year old xbox gamers realize what kind of crap they play.

Black-Ops also had to compete with AVP, Crysis 2 and Halo reach and I bought them all, AVP took forever to find a game and when it did it felt stupid, Crysis 2 was just daft and Halo reach was... well it was Halo so come to think of it, MW3 has had virtually zero competition on close quarter gun v gun online FPS games, maybe OP is right after all.

six6sixsin

you do understand how many MILLIONS of players play this game, right?

sweatyclam

For all those that don't understand MW3 compared to Blops has sold 4.3% less than Blop's as of now regardless of larger sales at release, it's marginal and probably caused by the fact the game is rubbish, lots bought to begin with because of all the marketing and hype.

What Activision have lost in sales they have gained from the gulible who bought Elite......

ragnarokchi

The franchise is dead to me after the colossal disappointments that Black Ops and MW3 were.  But what really put me way over the edge was getting so ripped off on ELiTE.  Unforgiveable; I'm out.  I don't care if BO2 is the Jesus of video games, I will not play any more CoDs, ever.

sweatyclam

They've run out of idea's and the franchise is stale, I'm out Blops didn't work for me and this game isn't fun, it bores me, it's like MW2, but worse, the maps are proper garbage!

BLOPS multiplayer was awful the worst matchmaking ive ever seen so I reckon people didnt buy due to that. Now if you come in these forums there is loads of threads about poor multiplayer on mw3 so maybe people are not buying because of that to, I for wouldnt buy it now.

r8edtripx

GOODKyle1 wrote:

O NOES sales are down 4.2 percent, head for the hills with your money Activision! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-r0ME1dDlw

I'm not saying it is, but maybe there is a chance COD is slowing down. So if it's not growing, does that mean it's dying? I guess so, right?

Either way, even if COD is on a slight decline, (and I'm not sure it is) it is far from dead.

I know I play a lot less MW3 this year than I was playing Black Ops last year, but I'm still going to buy Black Ops 2 in November.

I will say, COD Elite has been a big disappointment and even if Elite includes all DLC, I'll only buy it for 1 of my 3 systems.

So, is COD dying...? Maybe. Dead? Not even close.