33 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 8:55 AM by that6uy420 RSS

"Team" Deathmatch, no longer a Team game?

nicedrewishfela

Wanted to get people's thoughts on the status of Team Deathmatch lately on MW3, thus the quotes around "Team" in the title. First off, I am primarily a Hardcore player, so I can't speak for Core gamers and would be interested to see if they are noticing similar trends.

My beef is lately getting into rooms with randoms, many of whom don't have or use a microphone (Why play a team game if you are unwilling to communicate with your team?) who don't seem interested in helping the team, rather they seem bent on upping their own stats or are just oblivious to the team dynamic. I think I can best illustrate my point with an example. I played a match of TDM earlier on Mission. Anyone who has played the map knows how crazy the spawns can be on Mission, and the four of us on the team that had Mics on communicated that we were going to try to hold our spawn as we began the game at the church/mission itself. Most of the team worked together to secure the entry points, covering the left and right flanks and patrolling the middle ruins area. Doing so, we built up a decent sized lead. One player on the team, however, chose to continue running into the enemy spawn garnering himself a good number of kills. But as a result, the opposing team began to spawn behind and beside us, taking away the advantage we had built up. Our lead quickly disappeared as the other team took over the high ground and used the spawn flips to confuse and spawn kill us. The teammate who had been running into their spawn ended up with many more deaths than kills as his own tactic backfired and he too began getting shot in the back. Needless to say we lost, after leading by nearly 20 kills at one point.

My point is this, Team Deathmatch shouldn't be played as if it's Free For All. Every team member's actions effect the rest of the team. While you may getting kills, consider that your teammates are getting spawn killed, or worse that even though you are having success, your team may be losing.

I'm in no way saying that teams need to camp in order to win a TDM, but that there needs to be an element of communication and cooperation in order to get the win. Whether a team chooses to run and gun or secure a point, it needs to function as a team. One rogue teammate can make the difference between a win and a loss. If you go 30-5, but your team loses, does it really matter?

Wanted to get the community's thoughts on this. Is it really team deathmatch anymore or do you find a lot of selfishness and lack of communication? What do you think of teammates without Microphones playing in team games?

• Re: "Team" Deathmatch, no longer a Team game?
    deucedouglas

The words Team and Call of Duty are like oil and water. You can put them in the same glass but they'll never truly mix.

pj600r

Unless you're in a clan everyone just plays for themself and doesn't really care about teamwork anymore, unfortunately the game is too stat heavy now and that's what most people worry about.

Winning a game just seems to be a bonus for most people and they only care about KDR.

jwaller123

This goes for ALL game modes (except FFA). Everyones actions plays a part in the final outcome. Most don't care about winning, getting high K/D's, how many times they die. They play how they play and no one can change that. If you try to change how they play than you are an instant noob, get called many names and have no place playing. So in closing, one must adapt (if always a random) to people who don't give a S*** about anything in order to well in any given game mode. 

ReUpNOS

I agree with what you are saying about controlling the spawns and everything. but, if your team looses when someone on the team goes 30-5 (in TDM) then the problem is the lack of skill of the other members of that team.

nicedrewishfela

Not necessarily, its hard to blame the other members of the team when they are getting spawn trapped while one person continuously flips the spawns. I've seen it happen to good players, guys that I know consistently have positive K/D and winning percentages. Yes, sometimes we get put on teams with completely idiots, but at the same time can not always assume this is the case.

grif77775

As a tdm player this is my take on the state of mw3 tdm

I find mic's to cause more problem than help mainly because the only thing you ever hear from someone else's mic is then raging or some music, so as far as team play goes you have to hole your own, unless your in a party.

The way I see it tdm come down to 2 things ones can get the kills and the bait.

unless I'm playing in a party everyone else in my team is bait. I know I can get at least get a chopper up every game but can't say the same for the rest of my team. So if they're not goin to help me by talking they're going they're to help by dying. I know this isn't team work at it's best but if I'm having a bad game I hope someone uses me in the same way. I rather die 3 times in row and see a pavelow go up than keep getting 4 kills and now even seeing my team get a pred.

I'm not a k/d I play to win no matter the cost. I've seen myself putting on a smg's class and going 12 for 18 just so I could stop the other team from building any sort of streak. I've camped my ass off to get an AC130, and I've giving away kills so someone on a higher kill streak can get the better air support up. Like I said I play to win no matter the cost

nicedrewishfela

Good answer, it makes sense for sure. It seems that I have the most fun lately playing with a full team of friends, and the only way to get good communication. Occasionally I will stumble across an amazing room of random people, but its becoming fewer and far between lately.

grif77775

honestly if your not in party talkin is a waste time. half the player won't put their mic's in (like me) and the other throw out stuff you don't want to hear.

As for tdm, it and ffa or the only based game modes in cod so looking after number isn't all bad. If someone on your team doesn't put their weight you can help then but be perpared to take some abuse or you can use them and but prepared to take some abuse.

Everyone has their own reasons for not using mic's.EG I don't because i rage like mad and I don't like listening to it so I won't have someone listen to me doing it.

Just remember. Just because they're talking doesn't mean they won't listen.

Dicemann

TDM core is my main gamemode, I play solo all the time, I don't use a headset, my television sound is more than sufficient , also I'd miss far too many work calls if I did.

Saying that, if someone's doing shoutouts I'll listen but to be honest I very rarely hear any these days, in fact I couldn't tell you the last time I did... It just seems to be camper this noob that.

As previously mentioned K/D seems to excite people too much these days, which is probably why we witness so much selfish gameplay.

Clans are the best way forward if your a serious player.

In TDM, one good player can make a big difference. If this player operates alone with great success, then he doesn't need to hang around the team all the time. I'ts common to see a one army result at the end of a game, like a player getting 38-4 and the rest of the team going 8-7, 6-7, etc. Any why? crappy matchmaking. MW3 has the worst matchmaking in the COD series.

MrsPuff

Remember. Some kids are rich enough to afford a microphone. Some parents are concerned about kids safety too. It may sound funny but it's true. Some kids may have an xbox and mw3, but it was from saving every year or getting one for Christmas. Before my parents opened a gun range and before we were rich, I saved my christmas money + birthday money every year to afford an xbox + Halo 3. It may sound weird, but I was so happy. Point is kids may not have any money to afford one or they think their voice is high. I have a voice deeper than James Earl Jones so that doesn't apply to me.

I have to say im yet to actually play in a live TDM where other members communicate however, in the same breath if you pay attention you dont always ned to talk to work as a team.  i have different equipment setups based on the live outcome of a match, if i see one or two members working together i will aid them, wither by sniper cover or using the riot shield (if i have it equiped) a few members that i now play on a regular basis do talk since this but like everyone says, if you dont have a party set up no matter what game your in it will be each to their own through K/D

on a personal theory i think that in TDm and other team based games it shouldnt be just on kills but on how the team actually do working together, which brings me to this, in Metal Gear Online, you actually had clan matches which ment you had members who you would talk to etc.

I have to say im yet to actually play in a live TDM where other members communicate however, in the same breath if you pay attention you dont always ned to talk to work as a team.  i have different equipment setups based on the live outcome of a match, if i see one or two members working together i will aid them, wither by sniper cover or using the riot shield (if i have it equiped) a few members that i now play on a regular basis do talk since this but like everyone says, if you dont have a party set up no matter what game your in it will be each to their own through K/D

on a personal theory i think that in TDm and other team based games it shouldnt be just on kills but on how the team actually do working together, which brings me to this, in Metal Gear Online, you actually had clan matches which ment you had members who you would talk to etc.

If you go 30-5 and your team still loses, their probably wasn't much you could do about it. Unless everyone is using mics and actually talking you really can't work out a strategy. This is the reason everyone plays for themeselves.

I have to agree the team in it is disappearing. You almost have to have a party of friends to have good teamwork in it.

I usually find that relying on teammates ends up getting me killed more often than not. Like sometimes I'll see a teammate laying prone in the weeds watching for traffic behind me, so I'll rule out anyone coming from behind.  Bout 5 seconds later, I get shot in the back. Teammate's still laying there doing nothing, maybe scratching his butt or something I dunno.

There is no teamwork unless you're in a party.

that6uy420

I don't usually count on those people.  I have a habit of finding a good spot to hide... usually not in any busy lanes... if I have to run and do something for my wife or daughter ... then again, I'm not usually facing in the map area either.  If I've seen the person making any shots I might put a little stock into his usefulness but most of those you find laying in bushes are more than likely AFK.

fantasmo

Needs to be re-named

1 + 6 retards Deathmatch.

Its a freakin joke when randoms don't even pull the other half of the kills, im really tried of it.

What makes me laugh the most is when the game says "Making Balanced Teams" and then 2 seconds later you have retarded splitscreeners running into walls.

bubblebrawl

nicedrewishfela wrote:

Wanted to get people's thoughts on the status of Team Deathmatch lately on MW3, thus the quotes around "Team" in the title. First off, I am primarily a Hardcore player, so I can't speak for Core gamers and would be interested to see if they are noticing similar trends.

My beef is lately getting into rooms with randoms, many of whom don't have or use a microphone (Why play a team game if you are unwilling to communicate with your team?) who don't seem interested in helping the team, rather they seem bent on upping their own stats or are just oblivious to the team dynamic. I think I can best illustrate my point with an example. I played a match of TDM earlier on Mission. Anyone who has played the map knows how crazy the spawns can be on Mission, and the four of us on the team that had Mics on communicated that we were going to try to hold our spawn as we began the game at the church/mission itself. Most of the team worked together to secure the entry points, covering the left and right flanks and patrolling the middle ruins area. Doing so, we built up a decent sized lead. One player on the team, however, chose to continue running into the enemy spawn garnering himself a good number of kills. But as a result, the opposing team began to spawn behind and beside us, taking away the advantage we had built up. Our lead quickly disappeared as the other team took over the high ground and used the spawn flips to confuse and spawn kill us. The teammate who had been running into their spawn ended up with many more deaths than kills as his own tactic backfired and he too began getting shot in the back. Needless to say we lost, after leading by nearly 20 kills at one point.

My point is this, Team Deathmatch shouldn't be played as if it's Free For All. Every team member's actions effect the rest of the team. While you may getting kills, consider that your teammates are getting spawn killed, or worse that even though you are having success, your team may be losing.

I'm in no way saying that teams need to camp in order to win a TDM, but that there needs to be an element of communication and cooperation in order to get the win. Whether a team chooses to run and gun or secure a point, it needs to function as a team. One rogue teammate can make the difference between a win and a loss. If you go 30-5, but your team loses, does it really matter?

Wanted to get the community's thoughts on this. Is it really team deathmatch anymore or do you find a lot of selfishness and lack of communication? What do you think of teammates without Microphones playing in team games?

Why are you wasting your time going on about this? Team deathmatch has never been a team... It's not just Mw3.

trialstardragon

As a few have pointed out the answer is really before your own eyes in what you see on the screen after a match. People now care more about stats and K/D is the dominant stat that more care about than any other. People falsely believe that a player with a high k/d must be a good player and thus good for the team and will help them win. When in truth K/D is the worst stat to measure someone by sense k/d can easily be manipulated in this series and thus means nothing in truth.

As long as players care more about k/d or any other stand and not about playing for fun they will do what ever is needed to make sure those stats do not suffer. Even if it means screwing their own team out of win by not playing the objective and only trying to go for kills.

Now as toward why people do not use mics much anymore is people have grown tired of all the squeakers, the singers, the smack talkers, the screamers, the ranters, the braggers. It is simply easier to just turn of the mic, unplug the head set and ignore them than  to try and communicate through that mess. Plus the attitude of some players when you try to communicate where people are and their response is, "Well then go shoot them, stop telling me where they are and kill them yourself."

I now either set my prviact to friends only to prevent hearing anyone else, or to just go through the lobby and mute the entire lobby when ever I join one so I do not have to hear the so called adults acting half their age in how they speak to each other. If I wanted to see or hear people bragging about how good they were I would simply go to a highschool or college and watch a game of football and set back and listen to everyone brag about how skilled they were.

I know what you mean-Team mates are actually useless, I'm literally stuck with the worst possible team, and I always do best on my team, and everyone on the other team is between 5th-15th prestige, and everyone on mine is from 0-4th prestige. I play with a friend sometimes, who when he first started playing Call of Duty, thought I was exaggerating that my team, every single game, every single CoD game, and f*cking useless, and he was in for a shock when he found out I wasn't exaggerating.

I don't talk on a mic in game chat for a number of reasons;

75% of the time, i'd be the only one on my team with a mic, when I wouldn't be;

You'll always get a d*ckhead who tries to argue with you

They're children who barely know how to speak

Someones always gotta have a crappy mic that makes a loud buzzing sound all the way through. Thats the reason the 'mute' option was created.

acrididae

hupit.com gaming for loners wanting teams.

ShankDaddyMack

is it ever truly a team effort unless u go in with a full party? i do agree with your gripes so dont get ramped up over the comment , however , this is how to combat the spawn changes..ive noticed that IF MORE THAN ONE PERSON IS PAST THE HALFWAY POINT OF THE MAP AND THE ENEMY TEAM IS KILLED FROM WITHIN THEIR OWN SPAWN THAT THE SYSTEM WILL SPAWN THEM IN YOUR SPAWN AREA...so it wasnt just one guy down there shootin at them...best way to combat that you ask? either go in with at least 5 cooperative players in your party or just deal with it as we all must. It sucks i know TRUST ME...but all u can do is just try and be more aware of this and USE JAMMERS AND PORTABLE RADARS as we do...it seems to stop all that garbage.

mics are for comms?

i thought they were for kids to play us their shite taste in music...