26 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 10:35 PM by nuttin2say RSS

Tactical Playbook

Greetings fellow gamers.

I'm not a consistently awesome, high-scoring, competitive pro player, but in my journey to try to be a more effective contributor to my teams' successes, I've learned & practiced some basic principles that have improved my in-game performance... most of the time.

In this thread, I'll post some brief, broadly-applicable, easy-to-remember, easy-to-apply tactical guidelines that have helped me, whether rolling solo with random teammates, or in a party of friends, or even in Free-For-All, regardless of load-outs, maps, or game-types.

I'm not claiming that any of these ideas are new/original, or that they'll always guarantee victory. I'm simply sharing my perspective & experiences in the hopes that it might help some of my fellow gamers enjoy better matches.

Constructive contributions are most welcome from friendly community members who also wish to help their fellow gamers enjoy better matches. Share some of your favorite tactics and/or some of your favorite "war stories" about times when these tactics have helped you.

• Re: Tactical Playbook

"Tactical paranoia"

Expect enemy eyes (& crosshairs) to be on you at all times.

Never assume you are "safe."

Assume everything is a trap.

If it looks clear in front of you, expect to be attacked from behind (watch your 6).

If you're about to move around a corner, or through a doorway, or through a window, or out into an open area, expect that at least one opponent is watching that spot & waiting for you to move into their line-of-sight.

Wherever you happen to be at any given moment, try to be aware of all possible angles your position can be attacked from & be ready to return fire from those angles or evade/escape attack from those angles.

As you are moving, have your weapon already pre-aimed at a position where you think opponents are likely to be. If someone actually happens to be there, you won't lose precious time pulling your aim that direction.

If you encounter one opponent, expect that another (or even 2 or 3 others) are not far off. Be ready for them - don't walk alone & unprepared into their fortified position.

If you're attacking an opponent & they defensively move around a corner, do not give chase. They'll probably be set up & waiting for you on the other side (maybe even with other teammates) & will have the advantage over you when you follow.

skippinglobster

"Tactical paranoia"  lol, nice I like the term and I can say from personal experience this is an exellent tip. I always assume there's some one stalking me, and every once in awhile I'll feel safe ...that's usually when I get shot in the back.

bubbacake

operator-1 wrote:

They'll probably be set up & waiting for you on the other side (maybe even with other teammates) & will have the advantage over you when you follow.

Zone control (sector patrol)

Rather than run wild all over the map into areas where opponents may be set up & waiting, I often like to try to control a small portion of the map. This can prevent opponents from setting up in my area, and it sets me up to intercept opponents who come passing through my area.

I often like to pick a cardinal side or corner (north, or northeast, or east, or southeast, or south, or southwest, or west, or northwest) & roam all around within that zone.

By patrolling a side/edge/corner of a map instead of a more centralized area, I limit the angles I can be attacked from.

I try to get familiar with every approaching route that leads into my zone, every sight-line looking out of my zone, & every little nook & cranny inside my zone.

I'll move to a position in my zone & briefly pause to look for opponents approaching from that direction. Then I'll switch spots & move to another position in my zone & check again for incoming opponents from another direction. Rinse & repeat.

If multiple teammates are doing this in different zones, you can limit the enemy's freedom of movement.

If I get forced out of my zone (or bored from inactivity in that zone), I relocate & try to lock-down a different zone, and possibly try to reclaim that zone later (depending on how the match unfolds).

If you stay in one zone too long, opponents will notice the pattern & know where to expect you. Periodically relocate & lock-down a different zone for a while, then move to another zone after that, & so on.

Announcing my current zone to my teammates lets them know where to find my attacker(s) if I go down.

Move after scoring a kill or being spotted

When you kill an opponent (or 2, or 3, or more), you reveal your position.

Opponents might call-out your position to their teammates.

They might come back for revenge.

Somebody might soon send a grenade or rocket to that position.

If you remain in the exact same spot where you just scored the kill(s), you make yourself an easy target for retaliation. As boxers say: "stick & move."

"Guesstimate" unknown enemy positions from known friendly positions

You can often get a feel for where opponents might be located by observing where your teammates are located & what your teammates are doing.

If you know 2 or 3 (or more) teammates are in a particular area & nobody is under attack in that area, it's probably a good bet that opponents are in a different area (maybe in the areas where your teammates are scoped in on).

If your mini-map/radar shows a bunch of friendly green triangles on the east side of the map & the battlefield is relatively quiet in that area (for the time being), enemies are probably on the west side of the map (possibly moving eastward).

If teammates start disappearing in a particular area, enemies are attacking that area, which lets you know where they are.

Call-outs

Each member of the team is the eyes & ears for the rest of the team.

Use your microphone to keep your teammates informed.

Saying something as simple as "enemy sniper in the 2-story window" can save your team from feeding more kills to that sniper by not wandering into that sniper's line-of-sight; any teammates in a position to take out that sniper now know where to assault.

Have you ever been killed & wondered "how did they know I was there?" One of your opponents (maybe one you just killed) might have alerted others to your position.

trialstardragon

Overall sound advice in many aspects but some of it like expecting random players to play like a team is not. unless you are with friends that seldom if ever happens.

I used to do call outs when I died or when I seen some move out of my view before I could kill them. Hardly anyone listened, so over time I quit because in most games with randoms it was useless to do.

So most of the time I do not even turn the mic on anymore on my headset. There is little to no reason to do so since most games are filled with lone wolfs. So I end up just lone wolfing as well.

Don't cluster too closely with teammates

Bunching up too tightly together with your teammates puts your teammates at risk & sets your opponents up for easy multi-kills.

If multiple teammates are all within the blast radius of 1 grenade (or 1 rocket, or 1 predator missile, or 1 quick burst of gunfire, etc.), your team is vulnerable to giving up a lot of points/kills to your opponents in a very short time.

If opponents have UAV/radar or air support up & you are not equipped with perks to keep you invisible from such things, your exposure puts nearby teammates at risk.

Your teammate(s) may be in a solid position to cover/defend a location/route/objective, but if you get too close to them, you make that position more visible/exposed & more likely to be spotted.

If you open fire on an opponent & the opponent returns fire, teammates that are too close to you are also put in that line-of-fire.

Two guns (or 3, or 4, or more) are better than one, so rolling in packs & backing-up your teammates are good, but keep a safe distance between you.

Position yourself to make the most of your weapon's effective range (pick your battles)

When I'm packing a sub-machine gun, shotgun, or pistol, I'm usually at a significant disadvantage in long-range engagements, so I try stay out of long sight-lines & wide open areas - I stick to close quarters (rooms/buildings, narrow passageways/halls, etc.) where my short-range weapon can quickly drop opponents close-up.

When I'm using a sniper rifle, I move around between spots that have long sight-lines. I'm not good at quick-scoping, so I need to make sure to get in positions where I can spot & drop my opponents from long range.

I usually carry a secondary/back-up weapon that better covers ranges my primary weapon doesn't. For example, when I have a shotgun or SMG primary, I carry a SMAW as a secondary - if an opponent is too far out of shotgun or SMG range, a rocket can often get the job done. When carrying a sniper rifle primary, switching to a machine pistol secondary helps me when enemies rush in too close.

Seek opportunities for flank/sneak attacks & avoid head-on confrontations

I'm usually pretty unlucky in direct face-to-face duels, so I've learned to avoid them when possible in favor of striking when & where opponents are (hopefully) not expecting me.

I like to at least try to reduce the risks that my opponents might win an encounter due to them possibly having a more powerful weapon, more accurate aim, faster reflexes, better luck, or connectivity/sync advantage ("lagvantage") over me.

I look for a positional advantage to catch my opponents unaware/unprepared before they have a chance to mount a defense.

After learning where a map's hot spots, high-traffic routes, vantage points, hiding places, & objectives are, I start to expect to find opponents in those areas (and opponents usually expect to find me in those areas too)...

...So when making my way around those areas, I sometimes try to take an approach that puts me where I think my opponents won't expect me.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is... If that location, route, objective, dog tag, or care package looks wide open & undefended, I try not to blindly rush straight in for it...

...Instead, I try to imagine where opponents might be sitting & waiting for me to walk into their trap - then I'll try to move in from their blind side & take them out first.

It doesn't always work out the way I'd hoped, but when it does, it's pretty sweet.

gallp13

Marvelous thread Operator.....thank you for the time and effort you have put in. This may just become the ELagaphant of Tactics;)

Thanks.

When playing team-based games without a party of friends/regulars, it's often challenging to get everyone (or even anyone) on the same page.

Maybe if our gaming community shared a general understanding of how to be good asset to the team (regardless of skill level), we might all go into our matches together with a somewhat more unified plan-of-action.

Sure, there will always be those "randoms" who just want to do their own thing regardless of what the rest of their team is doing, but I think most people want to at least be on the winning side.

More tactical tips inbound...

Anticipate opponents' next move(s)

As the common "5 Ps" saying goes: "proper planning prevents poor performance."

...And as another saying goes: "no battle plan survives contact with the enemy."

We can't always be completely certain about what's going to happen on the battlefield, but we can try to be aware of the possibilities & have responses prepared for them.

When trying to predict opponents' probable courses of action & stay one step ahead of them, I ask myself questions like:

What openings & opportunities are currently out there for opponents to potentially target?

What openings & opportunities are currently out there for me/us to potentially target?

What are my/our current vulnerabilities that opponents may try to exploit?

What are the opponents' current vulnerabilities that I/we can try to exploit?

What would I/we do if I/we were in the opponents' position right now?

What would opponents do if they were in my/our position right now?

What patterns have I/we noticed so far in the opponents' activities?

What patterns might opponents have noticed so far in my/our activities?

If opponents do what I/we predict they'll do, how can I/we respond/defend against them?

If I/we do what opponents predict I/we will do, how might opponents respond/defend against me/us?

crininson

As odd as it sounds, I play CoD like I'm playing a VERY very fancy game of chess and this tip here is a great way to lower your death count.

All of your tips are excellent and I wish more "randoms" would read and use them.

Improve your K/D by focusing on fewer deaths before more kills

Kill-count isn't a deciding factor in objective game-types like Domination, Capture the Flag, Demolition, HeadQuarters, etc...

...But your deaths increase your opponents' control of the map & feed your opponents streaks/rewards (UAVs, predator missiles, attack helicopters, AC-130s, etc.) to use against you & your team.

I've lost plenty of Team DeathMatch & Kill-Confirmed games alongside teammates who scored 30, 40, or more kills but who also gave up 30, 40, or more deaths to the opposing team.

I'm not a rampaging slayer who wreaks havoc all over the map leaving a trail of slaughter in my wake, and my kill-death ratio is nowhere near impressive.

Since I almost never rack up 30, 40, or more kills per match, I started to focus more on reducing my number of deaths per match in order to bring up my K/D.

I like fast-paced games, and I'm sometimes so eager to get in the action that I make hasty mistakes. I don't want to slow my game down too much by being too careful, so I've tried to develop a better "spider sense" to be more cautious about upcoming hazards as I move around.

I'm constantly asking myself questions like:

...Am I making myself an easy target?

...Am I too focused on offense without being careful to avoid or counter enemy defenses?

...If I were to be attacked right now, what are the most likely places I might be attacked from & how could I counter?

...What specifically did the enemy do to kill me & what can I do to avoid or overcome it next time?

Putting my survival first eventually led to me scoring more kills because I wasn't putting myself in bad situations so much.

Enemy dug-in? Avoid them, flank them, explode them, or double-team them

I often encounter opponents who settle in to an advantageous position & make the most of it. I have to fight the tendency to blindly keep going back for revenge after they kill me, because if I do, I'm only walking into their trap & engaging them on their terms.

So I've boiled down my options to 4 common counters:

1.) Avoid them... If an opponent is occupying a good firing spot that has no strategic significance, then there's no need for me to keep going back there & feeding them more kills. I'll just go find other targets.

2.) Flank them... If I can find a way, I'll try to approach from their blind/undefended side & take them out.

3.) Explode them... The blast radius of explosives can sometimes reach areas outside the line-of-sight where I can quickly & accurately place bullets, so sometimes I:

• toss a grenade into their location

• fire a grenade launcher into their location

• launch a rocket into their location

...etc.

4.) Double-Team them... If I can rally my teammates to approach the opponent from multiple sides, some of us draw the enemy's attention on one side while others attack the enemy's other side.

nuttin2say

Great thread, operator-1.

I particularly liked the "anticipate your opponent" idea. Very often I get caught with my pants down - reloading. I prefer to duck off against a wall, in a shadow, or into a corner to do so ... but opponents do not always cooperate and let me get somewhere that I can reload. That's why I, at the very least, try to stay close to an object, be it a car, crate, mound of dirt, whatever.

I will try to duck and run if someone comes at me while I'm in such a situation. A long, long time ago I found a way to make such a predicament an advantage ... I move in one direction, then, once around the corner, immediately turn back. 90% of the time or more, the opponent will realize something is not right and also double back. The problem for him is that now I'm locked and loaded ... and I've got my barrel ADS for when he returns around the corner.

Strafing into the open, firing a couple of rounds, then strafing back is also a great strategy that some people simply do not know how to counter.

nuttin2say wrote:

...Strafing into the open, firing a couple of rounds, then strafing back is also a great strategy that some people simply do not know how to counter.

Thanks for the feedback & the contribution.

I've seen & used this "peek-a-boo" maneuver quite a bit too.

I have to be careful of my timing/rhythm to avoid being predictable - if my opponent knows when to expect me to pop back out, they pre-fire & I walk right out into their bullets.

Sometimes when opponents are doing this "peek-a-boo" with me, I'll send a grenade or rocket their way & try to place it just on the other side of their cover so it'll catch them whether they're around the corner or not.

CableGuy

From what I've read so far this is very well thought out, and a refreshing thread to read for a change. Thanks operator, I shall finish reading later. :-)

CableGuy wrote:

From what I've read so far this is very well thought out, and a refreshing thread to read for a change. Thanks operator, I shall finish reading later. :-)

Thank you for the feedback. I've been curious what people think about this. I'm working on rough drafts for more topics if there's still interest.

pride187

very nice tread ill put a link up to this on my clan page

pride187 wrote:

very nice tread ill put a link up to this on my clan page

That would be great. I've seen very few clan websites that have "standard operating procedures" regarding game-play tactics. If you and/or your clan-mates want to help other gamers improve their in-game tactics, please add your own entries to the list here.

This is truly a great post. You have put a lot of things that good players do without thinking about into words, which is what makes it so great. Every player new or old to COD should read this.

When I first started playing COD I wasn't very good, obviously. It was figuring out all the things on my own that really made the the well above average player that I am now. After reading some of these things, I kind of laughed because I do all of them without realizing that it is definitely a reason for my success.

landon0606 wrote:

This is truly a great post. You have put a lot of things that good players do without thinking about into words, which is what makes it so great. Every player new or old to COD should read this.

When I first started playing COD I wasn't very good, obviously. It was figuring out all the things on my own that really made the the well above average player that I am now. After reading some of these things, I kind of laughed because I do all of them without realizing that it is definitely a reason for my success.

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm probably about a relatively average player (at best), but I used to struggle even more because I found myself in the wrong place at the wrong time way too often. Keeping a "mental catalog" of tactics like this sometimes helps me be in the right place at the right time more often.

I know I'm barely scratching the surface of the basics here, so if you have some more advanced tactics to help other gamers kick their game up a notch higher, please share.

nuttin2say

Yes, keep up the good work, operator-1 ... nice & refreshing having the community getting along.

Hey, here's some really core rules I try to enforce upon myself ...

- Don't play when you're tired.

- Don't play when you're hungry.

- Don't play when you're in a bad mood.

- If you're getting too angry at other players? Walk away from the game, at least for a break.

Oh ... and number # 1 strategy?

Don't know everything. (I break this rule a lot - lol!)