16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2012 11:07 AM by skippinglobster RSS

Adjustable thumb stick tension?

skippinglobster

Hey guys, I was thinking about getting a Razor Onza TE but after hearing some bad reviews from a few of my friends I've decided against it. The one feature it has that really appeals to me is the adjustable thumbstick tension and the stick having less of a dead zone. My question is if Microsoft makes a premium controler with these features or is there a mod site that will put these features in the MS brand controller?

Before you flame, when I'm asking about "mod" sites I mean ones like Scuf that just make improvments that don't break ToS not rapid fire type sites or anything.

• Re: Adjustable thumb stick tension?

Any mod is cheating and against ToS. I suggest just using a standard controller and beat people using skill.

GhostmanLoon wrote:

Any mod is cheating and against ToS. I suggest just using a standard controller and beat people using skill.

Nope. Try again.

@lobster As far as I know MS doesn't make anything like that. I know Razor products can be kinda pricey, but I say check their refund policy and if it looks ok, give it a shot.

skippinglobster

Yeah I might have to just try the Onza for myself but it's too bad because I really do love the MS one. The dead spot really bugs me though and it gets worse when you use them a lot. I replace them every six months or so and you can really tell the difference with a fresh one.

And to Ghostmanloon, you have the right to your opinion but I disagree. Rapid fire and "drop shot buttons" are cheating for sure, but putting in a blue L.E.D light or something isn't. Changing a damn color on your button doesn't help you in anyway, to say it's cheating is just childish. And putting adjustable tension on the sticks wouldn't be either. You can buy a couple different brand controllers that aren't modded and come with that feature. There just more expensive premium products. I just prefer the MS ones and wondered if there was a way to get one with this feature. "Mod" doesn't always mean "cheat". People just think of rapid fire and cheap stuff when they hear the word. Those are not the "mods" I'm talking about at all.

Sorry, but I agree with ghostman; tampering with the official controller in ANY WAY is against the ToS, even just to add lights. The moment that sticker inside the battery compartment is compromised, it becomes an "illegal" controller, invalidating the warranty in the process.

While it doesn't actually mean anything, being an illegal one; it does mean that you will NEVER be able to sell it on, or trade it in when it gets a bit grubby, no store will touch it the moment they see that sticker is gone.

skippinglobster wrote:

The dead spot really bugs me though and it gets worse when you use them a lot. I replace them every six months or so and you can really tell the difference with a fresh one.

See I'm a noob and I didn't know about this. I've been wanting to get new controllers but mostly just cause I wanted new colors, but hell I might just do a bit more research now, thanks!

skippinglobster wrote:

"Mod" doesn't always mean "cheat". People just think of rapid fire and cheap stuff when they hear the word. Those are not the "mods" I'm talking about at all.

Exactly, I 'modded' my D-Pad because its a mushy peice of crap . High tech mod, bit of card under the plastic = nice firm feel. If you're hating the 'dead spot' (I assume anolog) you can literally sand the front case by hand, the plastics pretty soft. Then you'll have an every so slightly bigger movement space and no 'dead spots'. If you don't want to risk screwing it up buy a cheap one on ebay and try it on that... I had to do mine coz it had a massive dent in it  (god knows how?!) which needless to say killed the rotation when the stick hit it.

skippinglobster wrote:

Hey guys, I was thinking about getting a Razor Onza TE but after hearing some bad reviews from a few of my friends I've decided against it.

Do NOT get one. I bought an Onza a while back, it arrived and was AMAZING... better in every way to the standard MS controller. Unfortunately they just don't last - I went through 4 in 4 months, eventually I got a refund. My friend who also purchased one on my original recommendation (Onza TE) also has had the same issue, sadly he cannot get a refund out of the company he purchased from. Left analog stick wont click in when tilted was my chief problem - so unless you don't want to run on COD...

So in short, amazing idea/feel but literally the analog and/or triggers don't last. I had a few conversations with their Facebook page manager who just denied there is a prob despite it being all over the internet. Oh, and trust me its a pain going back to the feel of the old MS controller everytime it goes wrong.

skippinglobster

Thanks for the heads up man, yeah I just keep hearing crap like that. I dunno maybe I'll have to just keep getting a new one every six months. MS should really make a premium controller with better analog sticks. I know I'd gladly pay 150 to 200 for one with no dead zone that stood up over time. The adjustable tension is nice but mostly I just want it to get rid of the damn dead zone! For the first few weeks there fine but once there broke in the dead zone is back.

skippinglobster wrote:

Thanks for the heads up man, yeah I just keep hearing crap like that. I dunno maybe I'll have to just keep getting a new one every six months. MS should really make a premium controller with better analog sticks. I know I'd gladly pay 150 to 200 for one with no dead zone that stood up over time. The adjustable tension is nice but mostly I just want it to get rid of the damn dead zone! For the first few weeks there fine but once there broke in the dead zone is back.

Would get one too if they did. One thing that was impressive on the Onza was the quality feel the sticks had - nice and smooth and a lot easier to move.

I had the same issue with one of the Razor Onza controllers.  I honestly didn't think it was that great to begin with.  I just stick with the plano MS controller now, wired, because I don't like wireless.  There is a product called the FPS Freek analog extensions.  They basically clip over the top of your joysticks, giving you a much greater range of motion.  It doesn't use tension, but it's does basically the same thing.  These are great for snipers, or general scoped aiming.

nickpeck36

Well, for my 36th bday this week I bought the MLG Xbox controller to give it a shot (has a return policy incase haha).  $100 is a lot for the controller but what the hell, you only live once.  The PS3 and Xbox sticks that come with it have the 0 dead spot you are looking for and since you can go between the sticks there is a slight tenstion difference.

I also got the extenders for the stick to act like built in FPS Freaks (which I love as well).  Felt like a real solid controller and have read pretty good reviews across the board.  Of course there is always a few lemons (which I'm sure I'll get, just how my luck is) and there are also the other reviews of people that break them then bash them because they can.

Only true way to decide is to try it yourself haha.  I'll reply back once I get it and check it out.

I have always prefered the Xbox 360 controller but did pretty well with the game on the PS3 when I played it and I actually liked the looser feel of the PS3 sticks as I could line up shots much smoother.  Either way it looks like I can get the best of both worlds as I plan to have this controller ONLY for 3rd/FPS shooters.  I have my two MW3 wireless controllers for everything else.

skippinglobster

You'll have to post how it is after you check it out. Are you talking about the Mad Catz one? I saw those too and they look kinda cool, but Mad Catz has been kind of hit and miss for me in the past, there controllers have busted on me before but then again I've only bought there cheapy 15 dollar ones for a second controller when friends are over so this might be different.