21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 1:38 PM by Exobar RSS

First impressions of my Scuf controller

I got a little present in the mail today - my brand spankin new Scuf controller.

I went with the following set-up:

Basic black wireless xbox controller  (Scuf FPS Pro)

trigger stops/adjustable hair triggers

domed sticks (both of them...)

red paddles on back with "B" map to the left paddle and "X" mapped to the right

I didn't order any of the extras (black out buttons, scuf Grip, remove rumble pack, carry case, etc.).  With shipping I think it was like $120 or so.

First impressions:

(1) seems solidly made, not schlocky.  The tactile quality of the paddles on the back is very nice.  No way I could have made as nice a product myself (sorry Maccabi).

(2) Pretty easy to dial in the triggers - just go into a private match and fiddle with them until they are set to your liking.  I have the left ADS set to go ADS at a slight breeze... I backed off on the fire trigger so I don't inadvertendly fire... for now. 

(3) Best feature off the bat... tie for the paddles and the triggers with stops.  Both are noticeable in how you play... and there is definitely a learning curve in terms of learning to use the paddles vs. taking your aim hand off the stick to mainpulate the standard buttons. 

(4) Grip... I was concerned it would be awkward with the back paddles and I would be hitting them all the time but ergonomically it's fine.  I just need to learn new patterns of making my character do what I want him to do... so breaking old habits.

(5) Domed aim stick... don't really notice anything so far. I'll switch back and forth tonight to see if it's noticeable and makes any sort of aiming difference.

Will it make me a better player?  Probably.  How much is the debate.  I did a 16-3 DZ game in Arkaden (playing the objective) but that was in part due to their team repedetedly running through the door closest to the DZ on the drop out back in the loading dock area... real easy to post that up and tear em to bits with my PP90!  Lots of cover, great aiming lane. 

I did notice a few more 1 v 1 wins for me, and that's the primary reason I bought it.  It also should be a snap to drop shot with, as I can shoot and drop at the same time, while also manipulating aim.  Should allow me to win more 1 v 1s when I get adept at it.

I'll keep track of my score and sense of winning 1 v 1s or overall increase in my play and report back.

• Re: First impressions of my Scuf controller

I was going to get one but then I heard I would have to take the screws and stuff out for FIFA (my bit on the side) so replaced my one year old black pad with a new white one and tbh it was all I needed, sensitivity 5 on it feels like 8 on my old worn out pad and the run button actually works, took me a bit to adjust but overall I'm glad I didn't fork out the 80 quid.

pj600r

I still use my 4 year old white controller instead of the black one I got with my console last year.

The old one just feels more fluid for some reason and I can tell if I swap as the newer one just feels clicky if that makes any sense.

I wouldn't pay £80 for a controller though when I only paid £100 for my console new, it was on a special deal at Tesco supermarket.

smokesdope

So worth the money? Was thinking of getting one all in It's about £90 just a plain black one and was going to buy my own custom front.

well.. so far so good... seem to be increasing my K/D with better trigger reactions.  I think the biggest thing will be the ability to dropshot while still having a finger on the aim stick. I need to get into a habit of doing that.

Overall.. happy with the purchase so far...

After a few more days of game play I've dialed in the controller and learned how to easily manipulate the new paddles without accidentally hitting them (TBH... not that big of a deal).

I'm definitely improving now that I've got the triggers set to fire at just a whisper of pressure... but the best thing probably is the paddles... I'm now a drop-shotter!

Having the B paddle makes it so easy to do. 

I'm winning the majority of 1 v 1s now, at both short and medium range (LR... not with the guns I play sith).

I'd say where before I was a 1.0 K/D player, I'm probably more in the neighborhood of 1.3-1.4.  Call it a 35% improvement (1.35).   It could be higher if I focused on that stat, but I play DZ and am quite aggressive in trying to take the DZ.

The only downside so far is that my mic seems to work a little less well on this controller vs. the others.  Getting some weird feedback echo in everyone else's ears (not mine).  It comes amd go.. not sure why.

If you want any edge you can get but don't want to cheat, a scuf controller and a turtle beach headset is a must.

ctrl-s

Scuf and XP500's have helped me improve a bit. Sure, there's a small reaction time advantage with the trigger stops. Getting used to the paddles still. Getting some ridiculous jump shots lol.

TBH I think the most improvement has come from just playing smarter, getting more strategic / tactical. Using map knowledge, mini map and headphones for prediction. Learning the patrols and chokes around objectives has been HUGE. I'm going between Run n Gun & Silent but Deadly (ffrrrrrrt).

game4fun

I heard good things about scuf controllers,but I'm just not willing to drop that much on a controller.I did get the mad catz fps pro controller and it has worked great so far,I like the combat buttons on the back they seem to work good,I just hope it lasts a while.I would prefer a scuf but like I said I just can't convince myself to drop 100+ bux on one.

So would you recommend their controllers?

One of my controllers is on it's last leg and in need of replacing.

A little update here...

After about a month the right rear paddle trigger (mapped to X for reload/capture care packages in DZ) started to not work as well.. it would all of a sudden stop capturing packages even though I had depressed the paddle and was holidng it down.

Then, it losts its... for lack of a better word "clickness"... the paddles, when depressed, give off a nice tactile/audible "click" to let you know they've been engaged.

The right one failed... it doesn't click anymore.  It does still work for reload and capture, but I kinda have to wail on it.  I've gone back to using the X button on top of the controller, and that means more time with my finger off the aim stick.

Well, I called their phone number and a guy picked up right away.  I explained the problem and he said "send it back, we'll make sure we take a look at it, fix it and send it back out the same day".

Ok, that is cool.. now let' see if they deliver on it.

And... it will be interesting to switch back to my normal controller for a few days.

I'm really going to miss the hair triggers and the drop shot paddle.  Those things definitely WORK and have helped improve my game play!

Exobar

I have a question, do the buttons on the top of the controller (AKA the stock) still work with the paddles install??

Exobar

I have a question, do the buttons on the top of the controller (AKA the stock) still work with the paddles install??

Exobar

Exobar