18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2012 3:51 PM by AComatoseIbex RSS

Done with MW3. Black Ops is just more fun, period.

nicedrewishfela

Ok, I tried, I really did, to enjoy MW3. I have always been one of those people ready for the next challenge, the latest version. I was getting upset with some of the Youtube commentators for continuing to play BlOps with the new game out, wondering why they weren't playing the latest CoD, Black Ops was fun, but it was time to move on.

At first, MW3 was fun. The maps were fresh, they introduced some interesting new elements like Strike Packages... but the shine has definitely worn off. The same shenanigans that seem to infect all of Infinity Ward's offerings are present once more. I am finding it completely unplayable, and don't even enjoy it when I have matches where I am successful. The Pre-firing, inconsistency, and Lag Compensation has finally mae me give up on it. I play to have fun, and its just not fun anymore.

I have never really left Black Ops, albeit I have played mostly for Combat Training, which is still my favorite feature of the many innovations Treyarch put into this game. But I am back now, and until BlOps 2 comes out I don't see that changing. I may venture back to MW3 if my friends are insistent enough, and to check out whatever garbage maps they come out with next, but I am excited to be back in BlOps multi-player.

The more I think about Black Ops, I think it was by far the most innovative CoD title yet. Think about these innovations, and I am sure I will miss some:

1. 3D- I put this first simply because its fresh in my mind. I didn't have a 3D TV at the time BlOps was released, but I got one after moving. I forgot as well that Black Ops had a 3D option until yesterday, when I saw it mentioned in a post. I turned it on last night, and was blown away. BlOps is a beautifully rendered game to begin with, and the 3D enhances that 10 fold. The depth of field is amazing, and the gun animation really makes you feel like you are holding the weapon. I had a little lag, not sure if it was a result of the 3D, but beyond that it was an incredible playing experience. If you get a chance, try it, it will give you a new appreciation for the artistry of the game.
  2. MAPS- The Black Ops maps are incredibly innovative. For the first time in the CoD series, they made it difficult for a Camper to linger too long in one spot. There are several avenues to explore, several strike points, and multiple routes to objectives. The Maps themselves are beautifully rendered and rife with interactive elements. I loved that the environment mattered in Black Ops. Rockets launching, targets flipping around when getting shot, duffle bags exploding with clothes when assaulted, and I even had a moment last night on Stadium where I noticed a stack of cups on the concession stand counter. Unlike MW3, where objects simply go flying if attacked, one shot to the stack of cups sent the cups flying in different directions, not as one solid stack. It was little details like this that make the experience more enjoyable, at least to this player. There are deadly elements in the maps beyond exploding barrels or cars  the mangler in Radiation for example) and even a certain level of destructible environments which I hope they continue to expand upon in future titles.
  3. Weapons- Love the array and balance of the weapons and the level of customization. The various Camos and the ability to put your clan tag onto the weapons was a stroke of genius. I even enjoyed the Emblem editor in spite of the inevitable penis and swastika drawings from the community, as I was continually impressed by peoples' creativity.
  4. Game Types- Something for everyone. I play mostly hardcore, but I got into the Wager Matches and Barebones matches as well. The variety kept me from getting tired of playing.
  5. COMBAT TRAINING- I love love love this feature. It really gave me a chance to learn the maps, weapons, perks, and killstreaks. The bots weren't perfect, but they served the purpose quite well. The plus was that if I got too tired for, or just plain tired of playing in the Live Lobbies I could hop in there and have fun beasting on the dummies. I'd set up challenges for myself, and even game rules. I still do this when I don't feel like joining a lobby or nobody is on, always great fun.

I know there are many more things, and of course it has its faults as well (which I am sure have been explored in depth on these forums, which I am new to), so I won't go over those. But for me, the plus side far outweighs the negatives.

Looking forward to playing in Black Ops again, and am more excited now than ever for news on this years release. I hope they continue to improve on this model and veer away from the IW formula of "more of the same".

• Re: Done with MW3. Black Ops is just more fun, period.
    nicedrewishfela

As if my first comment wasn't long-winded enough, remembered something I had forgotten.

COMBAT RECORD! Loved the in depth perspective BlOps offered. It went beyond K/D, which can be misleading, and offered a lot of really useful information. The Post game reports need to continue to be thorough as well, loved how they laid them out!

MW3 had little effort put into it. It took me awhile to see how much effort Treyarch actually put into Black Ops. IW sucks since the lawsuit and if Tryarch fails me, then bye-bye Call of Duty.

nicedrewishfela

Glad to see I am not alone in this. MW3 had the potential to be a great, great game. They had some innovative ideas that could have changed the series for the better, but, as usual, they stopped short and never fully fleshed those ideas out. The Campaign I felt was brilliant, but the Multi-Player fell way short of expectations... or should I say sadly came to meet what we have come to expect of an IW offering.

Got to say I agree with you guys, last straw for me and my regular COD buddies was taking out hardcore team tactical, which was the only game type we could enjoy without being absolutely over run with noob tubing spraying idiots. Always enjoyed Black ops and it's still a great game. Still annoyed at loosing my old account, but that kind of made it fun having to start from scratch again :-)

stonculd

I liked MW3 but the lag comp tuning has made it pretty much a giant frustration for me. I got rid of it and came back to Black Ops and I am happy with my decision. Lets all hope that the next Treyarch CoD will be another triumph and not a fail. I keep checking the MW3 forums to see if they fixed it but nothing but post after post about lag hmmmm..... IW take a hint and get it fixed! I am conviced that Treyarch is just head and shoulders above IW as far as development goes. I do feel ripped off after paying for Elite for I never really played any of the new maps that much because of the way the playlist was set up and then after the map pack was released playing with the maps enabled made lag horrible, and disabling them made it not as bad but still too frustrating to play. Who knows if they will ever make that game work. Until they do I am sticking with Treyarch releases only.

I have to say, I completely agree with the OP on this one. After the smoke has cleared regarding MW3, it really feels to me that MW3 is inferior to Black Ops in just too many ways. CANT WAIT FOR BO2!

I totally agree with you if i put in MW3 i usually have to back out a few times before finding a decent lobby. And still struggle to get kills due to the poor ping from the stupid matchmaking they use, ok i take the game out put in Black Ops the other week and joined a game and went 18 and 2 yeah i know the maps a bit better but come on that says it all. Yes black Ops has some lag issues with hit boxes at times but nothing like MW3, and unless the update that is suppose to be out in the next couple of weeks fixes matchmakng to sort out pings it will go down as the worst online game made by Infinity Award and Activision. 11 title updates in 5 months WTF they had 2 years to make this dribble and still failed i am sticking with Black Ops until the next one comes out and am steering clear of any future  COD modern warefare games especially if made by Infinity Award.

I agree go to black ops.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I never played BLOPS MP until today and i was blown away by the maps. It's so much better and you can really tell that it's well thought out compared to MW3 maps. It turned me into a BLOPS fan and now, I can't wait for BLOPS 2.

gallp13

Will max out mw3 in 3 weeks

Will start on BO June to reacquaint with the pace pay style

Then Nov BO2

xfrah

Mw3 sucks, got bored of it after 2 prestiges.

I'm 15th on BO and I still LOVE that game, best CoD by far

GO BLACK OPS

Screw Modern Noobfare.

tnscproductions

I just bought mw3 after being a big fan and player of the black ops game. I am gobsmacked at how fooking bad this game is :O. Campers everywhere, lag lag lag, stupid killstreak system, awfull maps and it takes no skill to play so their is no gap between the good players and the bad, its an all out noob fest. Very disapointed

nicedrewishfela

Enjoying all the feedback on this one, and glad to see I am not alone on this one.

I have really been trying to enjoy MW3, but its been hard to say the least. Last night, for example, I enjoyed playing with a group of friends and had decent success, but at the end of the night I kept getting into lobbies where the camping was horrendous, the lag was even worse, and I kept starting matches with multiple deaths and getting spawn killed. After 3 consecutive matches of starting 1-7 or worse, my bullets flying through enemies <on hardcore nonetheless>, and people firing blindly at around corners, as well as getting enough hit markers to destroy an armored vehicle, I ripped the game out of my XBox. I've never claimed to be a great player, but that made me question if I was ever any good at CoD at all. I didn't know if I was just tired or my eyes were out of whack or what. As frustrated as I was, I threw in Black Ops and decided, as a test, to play the same exact game mode in live player lobbies.

I played several matches of Black Ops, won most of the TDM matches I was part of, and went positive in every match but one. So, is it me? Or is it the game? Am I supposed to believe that I got that much worse at the game from Black Ops to MW3? I highly doubt it.

The difference, to me, was remarkable. The gun control is so much tighter, the animations of the enemy are better, while there is still some issue with hit detection, it seemed my shots went where I sent them. Campers? Not an issue, I was able to flank them and the head glitch wasn't an issue as I was able to take them out anyways. If I watched a doorway, saw the enemy there... they didn't suddenly glitch out of the doorway, they were silhoutted and I was able to take them out. I didn't get people coming around corners magically knowing where I was, rather we were usually able to have a fair gun fight and when I lost, I understood why. The maps are just amazing, I always find something new that impresses me. And you know the craziest part.. I HAD FUN. With MW3, there is a different "F" word that comes to mind lately.

Unfortunately, I was never able to play Black Ops 1

I know, it's a horrible thing to say. I live out in the middle of nowhere and have basically no internet connection. I can't watch videos, let alone even have a 3 second xbox live connection. I'm finally able to play xbox live for the first time, starting back a few months ago. And how long has xbox live been around? It's extremely frustrating to have not been able to enjoy all these games, but after reading what you wrote, I almost want to go out and buy Black Ops and just game out, but since BO2 is coming out, I'm holding off until then. I won't have connection until August 17th when college starts back up and I'm back at my dorm anyways.

From what it seems, everyone enjoyed Black Ops much more than they enjoy MW3. I don't know anything about the 2 companies, but maybe Treyarch should just take over the entire series? Probably a bad idea, but I don't know.

I hope BO2 is everything and more than what was Black Ops was. I really look forward to playing a much better version of the series.

The best part of Black Ops for me? No nerdscoping! That said the Chopper Gunner and Gunship on some maps (Jungle in particular) can lead to spawn killing worse than anything I've seen on any Modern Warfare.