18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2012 3:35 PM by f0nZi3 RSS

Why Cant I Sell My Copy Of MW3

{bhc}max|co

Unlike xbox and ps3 mw3 owners, who can re sell their copy's of mw3, why cant us pc users not do this? was same with mw2 and blops, this is grossly unfair and another reason why not to buy your future products

there should be a facility in steam shops to re sell any games bought that has to link to your steam account

• Re: Why Cant I Sell My Copy Of MW3
    {bhc}max|co

ok i think its time i gave up on this game, well it did last longer than my intrest in mw2 and bo, but enough is enough.  Its clear iw activ shg dont give a damn about pc gamers, so altho we still have our cod4 servers, i think i'll poll my clan about moving onto something else,.....  future cods (unless there is a complete turnaround in their pc stratedgy) holds no intrest for me

goodbye fellow fighters

wierd worlds are these

I would love to be able to sell my copies of MW2/3 and Black Op's but as I can't I just carry on playing them, when I am in the mood for a lag filled crap gaming experience although I could just fire up my xbox and game on that for the same experience lol.

If MOH Warfighter is any good I can see COD being killed off this year on the pc, because simply why would you pay for something that is inferior over something far superior although, we shall see what happens closer to release time.

Apparently the Stealth Clown and FOS Robert Bowling is making a new game for PC and Next Gen Consoles, which will also allow the use of Mobile Devices and apparently it will be announced this year, might be interesting to see what he comes up with although I will say don't hold your breath because quite simply, I don't think he has a clue on how to make a decent game just look at MW2 and MW3.

Totally agree with the sentiments here. MW3 is a slight tweak on earlier games and is a step back in terms of gameplay experience and stability and they don't want to know about fixing them. I can't understand why somebody hasn't produced a better game. I hope MOH is the one. It might have been a successful launch but what they have done now will ensure people don't show any loyalty and won't buy the next one, I know I won't. They just see November as the date to peddle whatever crappy stage they have got to whether or not it is a finished product. If it were a Tivo it would record random programmes and cut bits out of them and you would not be able to choose what you recorded and then they would expect you to pay for DLC to put it right.

You can sell your game, but you have to sell your Steam account with it.

wierd worlds are these

There is that way but it is against the rules of Steam.

Stormproot

They've missed a trick there.

Now if I was running the show I would allow steam users to sell their games to other steam users (Steam would set the price and take a cut for the priveledge) The game product key could simply be transferred to the buyer's steam account.

Amazon sell used items - the great thing about a used product key is that it does not deteriorate with age.

Or steam could buy back product keys from gamers (at a reduced price) then re-sell at full price.

Perhaps they should give me a job

I wish they would give you a job. You could start in the mail room and be president of the company in a month with the Dumb45535 they have running things I had a buddy give another buddy his Steam account with MW2 in it. There's no reason to involve "Steam" at all. It's none of their business, and their profits are just fine...

wierd worlds are these

The idea is good but there is a problem with it and let me explain.

I choose to buy a game on Steam, find I don't like it or I am getting owned all the time so I decide rather than trying to get any good at the game I download a cheat for it.

I use said cheat for say 3  or 4 months, then decide rather than having bans on my account I will just sell the game to some poor smuck who doesn't realise the key has been used by a cheater.

Then someone buys the game and get's banned within 1 or 2 month's but has never used a cheat, but it is because the key has been detected as been used with a cheat.

Kind of unfair really but here is how I think they could solve it.

Obviously VAC is not fool proof, and really is not that good but I would think that the odd cheats that it detect's, would be logged in a database somewhere with the date and time and user account etc.

If the person who buys the game 2nd get's banned then they can log a complaint and have it investigated, and if it is found that the cheat was detected before they had the key issued to them, then the ban is removed and the previous owner is billed.

Now that way could work but I cannot see them doing it because it would mean to much work for them.

Just do a complete transfer of ownership. Once the game is sold to Steam any and all investigations into that account are removed. Obviously, if there are investigations listed for the account that the customer wants to sell, Steam should automatically reject the purchase from the customer to Steam pending the outcome of the investigation. This way when Steam sells the key to someone else, it's a clean "new" account, including all leveling reset back to zero.

Stormproot

There is a reasonably simple way to sovle this.

You have your product key.

Your 'standing' in VAC is already stored.

If you have an 'untarnished' record, then you can sell your product key back to steam - otherwise you cannot, or, you can sell it back to steam at a muchly reduced price and then they can purge the record in VAC so it becomes re-saleable.

Stormproot

cheaterssuk wrote:

There's no reason to involve "Steam" at all. It's none of their business, and their profits are just fine...

This may be so, but any company that misses the oppurtunity to make more profit, whilst at the same time providing a good service that many gamers would want, would be silly not to give it a go. I reckon it could be implemented with little extra investment required - just make it part of the next version of the web site and client application.

ctrl-s

This is 2012, where all things PC are on torrent day 0. Its very risky for someone to buy any used PC software since its likely the key has been used. Steam is more or less like iTunes. You cannot just sell an app or a song back.

In general PC software is like underwear. No one wants your used skivvies. (well, maybe if you're female... )

Stormproot

Perhaps they would not refund cash, but rather give a credit on your account to allow you to buy something else from them - like a game exchange.

I like that idea. But yeah, I can see the issue being that the CD Key is not transparent to the original purchaser. Once it's no longer tied to an account, what's to prevent him from actually selling the key or giving it to someone else? Then you would have 2 (or more) people with the same CD Key.

Well, here's an idea. Just "burn" that key. Once it's been traded back to Steam, mark it as no longer usable and just generate a new key. I mean, we are talking about intangible goods here; shouldn't be too hard to do.

Stormproot

Yep - 'burn' the key is probably the way to go. But I doubt Steam would want to do it without making some moeny out of it.

I guess the only way is to have a trade-in price based on how long you've owned the game.

If you've only had it for a month, you'd get 75% of the value back in credit, 3 months say 50% and so on until we are talking about a year, and then it has no trade-in value. And you would immediately have to use the credit to buy another game from steam.

I'm speaking from a commercial viewpoint here. It may be another revenue stream for Steam - but if they are selling plenty of games without this service it may not be attractive to them to set it up.

Would be nice from a statistics point of view. You get a lot of people trading the game in within 3 months, they can then show that the Devs made a piece of crap.

Might also serve as an encouragement to all game Devs to continue supporting their game after the sale, otherwise a large percentage of money will be refunded back to the customer when they trade it in.

But that will never happen because that would require the Publisher to agree to refunding a percentage of the purchase price. Easier for them to just hype it, sell it and fire all the devs and let the people that paid for it figure out that they've been had.

Just like Activision did to us.