40 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2012 12:16 PM by BEAS7BLOOD RSS

Anyone know how to change nat type?

?

• Re: Anyone know how to change nat type?
    like2nap03

I know how.

sovietcookie

Well can you tell us?

like2nap03

Do y'all really not know?  I can never tell with some of you guys.

Well, if you don't know, and since someone asked how to do it instead of if someone knows how to do it, I will tell you.

If you want to change your NAT type to Open just forward the ports for this game on your router.

www.portforward.com will tell you how.  Just look up the ports you need to forward for MW3 Wii.  Then look up your router and it will tell you how to do it.  I hear putting your router in DMZ mode works too but I never tried it.

If you want to change back to moderate, at least for me anyway, I Just simply turn the port forwarding off on my router.

Also, sometimes forwarding the ports will still keep your NAT type as moderate.  If that happens you probably did it wrong so double check your work.  If you double check your work and it's right, then try forwarding the ports while using a wired connection instead of wireless.  That's the route I went, though I didn't have to, but it is more stable.

EliteKing

mine was strict until i gave my wii a perm IP and then set that IP to be outside the DMZ now my sheet is open.

If you're on strict, just back out of the game and go to part where you can change profile, then go back to multi player and it should change.

I must warn you, if you portforward your wii till you have GODLY connection, your gonna hate it... (constant hosting)

password protect your wifi

tallowby

The easiest way is the following.

The cable conecting to the router.

Flip the cable end over to see the wire/pins.

Count from left to right to the fifth one.

Snip the fifth wire so it can't make conection in router.

Re plug in cable and bob's your uncle.

momskirbyok

I don't know if this will work, but set the priority higher to the Wii. This should help it. You want a nat type to be moderate. Try to prevent being host...

like2nap03

Bad news Beast, semper, and everyone else with this problem.  It looks like your ISP can restrict your NAT type.  After upgrading my internet, and getting a new modem, it looks like I fell in this boat.  I have not confirmed this with my isp but I'm now stuck on strict and the research I did points to the ISP (mine was specifically named) restricting NAT for some reason.  If that's the case for you guys who can't achieve an open NAT then you are screwed.  I hear  you can pay certain ISP's to open the NAT but it may be expensive.  I'll give an update when I do a little more research.  I have some phone calls to make.

My modem has 2 settings.  My slower old speed, and my new one.  If I go back to the old one, and the old network, I can achieve an open NAT.  If I stick with the higher speed then it's stuck on strict.  The higher speed, and ping times, make things run smoother so far.  I have yet to play MW3 with this new setup, but Black Ops ran great where as I lagged like crazy on my old connection even with an open NAT.  That's just because of the way it finds matches though. I did get disconnected after 3 matches, but lag was minimal.  I'll try MW3 tomorrow and post an update.  The reason this is relevant is I will be testing two different things.  Slower ping times with an open NAT vs faster ping times with a strict NAT.  I'm curious to see what happens.

Black Ops ran great though and I suspect I will go back to playing that to take a break from hackers and akimbo until we get a patch, or if we get a patch.   Good lord I still hate Firing Range and Nuketown....

Yeah man, mijne changes from moderate in the afternoon to strict in the evening, which is when I mainly play, and its really destroying my win/loss. I wanted the ninja emblem winning 15 hctdms, so that was my goal yesterday. I managed 13 straight wins in the afternoon when moderate but I had to go. Came back later, with strict, and got kicked from around maybe 40 games. Thing is, id be in a game at the start, id get kicked back to finding a lobby, and it would then put me back into the same lobby, over and over and over again! My overall w/l was maybe 150 to 40, now it 140 to 95 ! Messes things up with my new clan too, as theyre based in the states mainly, meaning i`ll only get to play with them in the evening, and im strict im not gona able to party up much, and when I do i`ll cause everyone huge lag

like2nap03

I did some more reasearch into my situation.  I haven't confirmed but it looks like my problem is my modem.  Not my ISP.  My buddy who has the same service, but a different modem, has a NAT type of moderate.  His modem doesn't work with my router though.  Currently I either need to upgrade to a different setup (something I didn't know existed but is a sweet deal), or wait for the router firmware to catch up with these new modems if I want to achieve an open NAT again.  Either that or switch back and forth between my different speeds. Oh the joys of living out in the country.

So Beast your modem could be the problem as well.  You would have to do some digging to find out.  I was on the phone with my ISP for over an hour trying to get answers.  The rep of course didn't know anything but I did some pushing and got her on with their tech guru.  Between the 3 of us I got some answers. 

like2nap03

The fact that you are moderate during the day, and strict in the evening, tells me your ISP is changing it throughout the day.  I find this odd.  Normally, from what I've read, they would pick one or the other.  It makes sense though for them to do that if more folks are on during the evening.  It puts a little less strain on thing.  Again, I don't know that to be a fact, but I've read about it and it does make sense.  My info is coming from diffrent folks, on different forums, who are in simliar situations.

It is not uncommon for ISP's to do things like that to decrease the strain on the network.  Some of them even throttle (reduce) your speed.  It wouldn't surprise me if they were the cause of your issue. 

I'm still looking into mine.  From what I've heard, and again, this is from folks who have my service, I can achieve an open NAT with a different modem which I am more than willing to do.  I have yet to find anyone who works for my ISP who can confirm this stuff.  I got a 90% probability from one tech guy that I can open my NAT with a different modem.  I can also wait for cradlepoint to update their routers to work for some of the modems that are out now.  I may go with the upgrade I just learned about though as I get double the data limit.  Gosh I wish I could get cable...it's so close, yet so far.

like2nap03

Well good news Beast.  Everyone told me that I was stuck on strict no matter what because of the modem I have chose.  They were wrong.  I figured out how to get mine to moderate and make it stay there.  There may be some hope for you at least.  I had to connect to my modem through my router and make a change to it.  I'm going to see if there is anything else I can do to get mine to go to Open. 

Oh, and the reason I say there is hope for you is everyone I asked told me I was SOL and stuck on strict.  They were wrong.  There's always a way.  Just have to find it.  I may not be able to do better than moderate but we'll see.

i just swear and shout abuse at the screen until my g/f sorts it out

Could just DMZ the IP for the games console which opens all ports on the router for that IP.....