30 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2012 11:47 AM by solidhead3 RSS

Fully Automatic M16 Please

Why is the M16 always a 3-round burst gun now? Isn't it a fully automatic weapon when used in the military?

• Re: Fully Automatic M16 Please
    TheJamboX

You can select your fire mode with real M16, full-auto or burst fire

M4A1.

/thread

rankismet

mblanke6 wrote:

Why is the M16 always a 3-round burst gun now?

By "now" do you mean... since COD4?

the only games i've really played are mw2, black ops, and mw3 and in all of them the m16 is always 3 round bursts but i know in atleast 1 of the older games that it was a fully automatic m16, or am i mistaken? Just wanting to know why they don't make the m16 a fully automatic weapon, i'm not a fan of 3 round burst guns

rankismet

mblanke6 wrote:

the only games i've really played are mw2, black ops, and mw3 and in all of them the m16 is always 3 round bursts but i know in atleast 1 of the older games that it was a fully automatic m16, or am i mistaken? Just wanting to know why they don't make the m16 a fully automatic weapon, i'm not a fan of 3 round burst guns

M16 has never been auto in COD MP. It was auto in BO campaign.

trialstardragon

It can be used as a full auto depending on the variation that is being deployed. The reason it is burst is because of its precesion fire and the fact that burst firing makes for greater conservation of rounds than full auto fire allows for. In many cases the US uses it as burst and semi, and hardly if ever full auto.

Some weapons that peform well while burst or semi, would be harder to control or use in full atuo because of the recoil making the gun less accurate. I find most burst weapons better than their full auto spray-pray counterparts when it comes to the ability to accurately put several rounds down wind in the same area.

If your having problems getting kills with the m16 than it means you need to work on your aim and being steady when firing on target and less about spray-pray sweep gunning.

anoreo

Isn't it just better for weapons to just be full auto in real life? Don't soldiers know discipline or something? Fire at a pace you enjoy, like 2 or 3 or something. Isn't an arbitrary number just restrictive?

trialstardragon

No, its not better to have it be random or full auto. It conserves ammo with it only being three each time. It makes it easier for a solider to keep track on how many rounds they have left based upon how many times they have pulled the trigger since each clips is the same size and only holds a certain number of rounds. Random firing would make it harder for a solider to know when they are about to run out and need to reload which could be deadly at the wrong time. Burst firing is about improved accuracy and aim and ammo conservation while still providing maxium potential damage to a target.

In real life you do not have counters to tell you when your near empty, random fire patterns would make it harder to know when nearly out. The burst pattern was first used to help conserve ammo and make it easier for them to know when to reload. Plus almost every gun in this game fires better and more accurate when burst fired compared to full auto spray.

That is the one thing that BF3 got right, the ability to selective fire your weapons either burst, single or full depending on the weapon.

come at me bro - MATTY ICE 6

zvers

"Some weapons that peform well while burst or semi, would be harder to control or use in full atuo because of the recoil making the gun less accurate."

Just like the M14 (not in the game) in real life which came before the m16 by the way. It was too expensive to make and it was uncontrollable in full auto.

The M16 was only full auto in it's A1 to A2 phase (I believe). From there the military made them all burst fire. I think people get the M4 and the M16 confused way too often.

trialstardragon

True, which is why the m16 is burst and not a full auto weapon in the game, and as another poster said below if they ever made if full auto the damage would be dropped and the recoil probably increased.

So the likely hood of it ever being full auto in cod is... 0.00000003%

Diesel-Swagger

If they make it full auto,i'm shure they would nerf the damage.

stop makeing posts like this. m16 has always been 3 burst since cod4 and the m4 has been its fully auto counterpart except for blops were the commando was its fully auto counterpart. and stop comparing cod to real life its an arcade shooter not a war simulator. if it was perks would not be in game and everytime u relode bullets from the last mag would not be saved. play battlefield if u want something closer to real life

anoreo

People have perks. What are you talking about? Some people are born faster,(sleight of hand), some have better reflexes(quickdraw) some have more endurance(extreme conditioning) etc.

adw1983

And Sitrep..?

Some people are born with magical abilites?

Dead silence?

Try to sneak up on me with a stinger on your back, 5 spare magazines, two flash grenades and a pack of C4 hanging on your body and an ACR in your hands walking on rubble.

Some people are born elves.

Assassin pro?

Are you a zombie?
        (Surface temperature of your skin no higher than the climate around you, you don't have a heartbeat, people who are able to identify living enemies can't spot you)

Marksman?
        Magic again?

atiredoldguy

Actually ...... the things these perks counter are more magical than the perk itself.

Soldiers dont run around with a map in the top corner of their eyeball. They might have night vision scopes, but those dont show the enemies on the other side of the wall. There is other technology available ....... but not on-demand like having a uav after 2 or 3 kills.

Proximaty mines cant just be tossed out and left and footsteps normally cant be heard over gunfire.

wasn't comparing cod to real life. was wanting to know why they never make the m16 a fully automatic

GONExFISHING

the real m16 is only single fire or three round burst. if u want to use a full-auto m16 in the game then use the m4. the only differince between the m4 and the m16 is that the m4 is shorter and lighter in wieght.

jwaller123

Many have already said this.....The M4 is basically the M16 but with a shorter barrel. I would also like to say the the M16's effective range is 500 yards for a point target and 800 yards for an area target. The M16A1 was fully auto (I believe) and was used back in the Vietnam days. When they came out with the M16A2, that's when it went to the single or three round burst. If it was fully auto then troops would go through ammo like it is going out of style. The three round burst (in the real world) is not accurate at all. It is merely there for laying down cover fire.

It's called the M4

atiredoldguy

The m16 is fine just like it is.

Its weak enough that its not used by everyone, but strong enough that those who learn how to use it can be extrememly effective.

I don't mind it much... only reason I don't use the M16 is because I don't like the carrying handle iron sights. It wouldn't bother me if they changed the irons on it like they have for the M4 every game, but, they don't, so I don't get much use out of it.