18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2012 11:26 PM by DaShuk2381 RSS

Why bother putting snipers in the game

ghamorra

Between the consistant hitmarkers I get and the terrible hit detection I just don't see them being practical enough to use on any map. Most every gun has the same range and even with a silencer can get you a kill in just a few bullets.

When you solely use a sniper for a couple matches and you accuracy goes up but your K/D goes down I think that a tell-tale-sign there's a problem

• Re: Why bother putting snipers in the game
    atiredoldguy

I'd say its a tell tale sign that the problem is you arent a very good sniper.

A good sniper normally has a good k/d. They might not get the quantity of kills, but they should be able to do it while dying a lot less..............

Unless you mean quickscoping, but thats not sniping.

ghamorra

If my accuracy is going up then that means I'm hitting my target a lot. If my K/D is going down then that means I'm getting very many kills to my deaths. Put those two together, I'm hitting the enemy enough to raise my accuracy but not getting any kills from it. When you add a sniper to that equation you can see that when using a gun that's designed to kill the enemy in a single shot I'm not getting any OHK

Also I do find myself to be a good sniper, stationary and mobile, but why would you ever give anyone the benefit of the doubt, you're just a senile old man

dastealth

I find that I do quite well with snipers on certain maps. I find it really sad however when I am a sniper and have the only positive K/D on the team plus have the highest score in objective gamemodes. Kinda doesn't make sense to me but...

No I do not go around and quickscope everyone (I find objectively moving from spot to spot works best) but if I am running between points it can come in handy.

LuisDelgado

once you get a sniper rifle you stop runing and start hiding on open spaces ! thats it. kill one move, kill two move again never stay on the same spot, unless its hard to kill u there

ghamorra

It's not that I don't a technique down, I just never seem to get OHK which (and I could be mistakes) is the purpose of these gun's existence

ghamorra wrote:

It's not that I don't a technique down, I just never seem to get OHK which (and I could be mistakes) is the purpose of these gun's existence

The purpose of a sniper rifle is to increase precision. A gun is not going to magically get an increase in stopping power because it is a sniper rifle. Many snipers use the same caliber and grainage of cartridges as some of the assault rifles.

Not all sniper rifles have the same effect as a .50 caliber sniper rifle.

ghamorra

Again I could be mistaken, but I thought the 50 in AS50 is the caliber size and it's damage is why I use it. I'm mobile when I snipe for the most part so I look for those OHK to keep me from having to focus on the enemy for so long.

I understand that not all snipers should be a OHK, RSASS being the example. They're more for those looking for low recoil high accuracy type players

atiredoldguy

Yes, they should be ohk weapons .......... but .......

Silenced sniper rifles are seldom ohks

Unsilenced snipers are ohks pretty often, I havent seen a chart that lists the damage,, but they are usually around 70 with a 1.4 or 1.5 multiplier for torso and head.   The problem with taht is every shot draws so mucj attention. You are not only a red dot, but the sound just draws more attention.

Try the barret silenced with kick and be ready to doubletap.

I also like the rsass .......... its takes more hits to kill, but it has a really high rate of fire and almost no kick. Get used to firing 3 quick shots. If you fire fast enough you can get off all three shots witthout recoil. If you dont fire fast enough you have to let the rifle recenter between shots. You may even need 4 or 5 .........

Find a good spot, HOLD STILL, and be patient. If you arent fairly sure you can get the kill, dont try.

Personally I enjoy seeing how many kills I can get from one spot without moving. To me, thats the challenge of sniping. It sometimes makes more sense to move between kills, but more often than not moving is when I get killed.

Try to find a spot with plenty of view and at least one side protected. Take your time once you ads  and dont drop until a few seconds after your shot. The killcam is a sniper's worst enemy. But seeing someone scoped in for the whole killcam makes it togher to locate their position. Dont bother trying stealthy sniping in hc ffa. The spectator cam will trip you up frequently.

people also complain that the maps are too small, and not good for sniping. I disagree. There are several really good sniping maps, and almost every map has a spot or two that are decent.

I think sniper rifles should be a OHK close to 90% percent of time, or hell even 95%. After all, they're not so easy to use, the scope in is slow and there's weapon such as the ACR and MK14 that can do the work much easily with an ACOG attached to it.

rlbl

The higher power rifles (.50 cal, MSR, L118) are supposed to be OHK to the Head, Neck, Upper chest and Body Core (all cause 98 hitpoints + the multiplyers)

The AS50 will get you all of the above accept body core. (98 hitpoints, but no multiplyer on the body core)

The dragnov is crap, only 70 hitpoints (I think the RASS is there as well, but it can be spammed)... OHK to head only(?), maybe neck.

If I remember Ghamorra, you use the AS50 (I used to use it all the time). I switched to the MSR for the added OHK capabilities.

With the lag etc, maybe the shots are registering to the body and that may explain why you are not getting a OHK (you aim for the upper chest but it registers in the gut).

Since I switched to the MSR, the only time I do not get the kill with 1 shot is when I hit them in a limb (sometimes I have no choice because that is all I can see)

gmir9

I run the 50 cal sniper rifle with silencer on it and impact as proficiency.

I think impact has that little extra kick you need.

TheJamboX

If you want fun sniping go play World at War (CoD5) very good maps and like 5 bolt action rifles that you can use with iron sights or scope

Radari

Well, you know that you need to shoot upper-torso to get 1 bullet kill ?

Eventho I come from Finland, I get in to decent hosts without any lag and I don't get those hitmarkers that much. So just live withit, and simply I don't care about some guns killing within two bullets even with suppressor. Just use the guns you can handle so you'll pwn even those tryhard two shot killing weapons, snipers are good if they're properly used.

DaShuk2381

I don't quick scope, nor do I want to quick scope, so for me snipers are fairly useless other than the RSASS, which I use with the ACOG and Silencer almost like a mini-AR. I agree that snipers should be OHK pretty much in every instance, but they are broken just as bad as shotguns. Seriously I am tired of all the ELITE weapon videos talking about how shotguns are so damaging and one shot kill up close when it's complete BS. Unless you are spraying the Striker in 5 directions you aren't killing anything with a shotgun up close.