26 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 11:49 PM by PikaBoo RSS

How about the hip fire? Will treyarch at least patch that?

nerrel

if you've never gotten frustrated enough with this game's hit detection to shoot at a wall just to make sure your gun wasn't horribly misfiring, know that if you ever did then you would see that you gun was, in fact, horribly misfiring:

this happens with a few of the AR's i've tried, with or without steady aim, and i assume its' the same for any automatic. i've given up on any hope of the weapons being rebalanced, but i hope treyarch at least gets the basic elements of the game working at some point before the lifespan of the game is over.

• Re: How about the hip fire? Will treyarch at least patch that?

I don't see the problem here. Have you ever actually shot a gun in real life? Let alone try to hip fire something like an ak47? The fact that it makes a nice circle is absurd. The fact that you think it should shoot in a single spot is even more absurd. They did the best they could to give a virtual experience that mimics real life as closely as possible. There are things that geeks like you don't realize, guns have things like recoil and each particular gun acts differently depending on its calibre and the way it was designed. Add in things like silencers, ammo types, muzzle brakes and it is hard to tell how they will react let alone how some geek playing COD thinks they should react. this is the least of problems I the game. Heck gun camo is more important than this issue.

McZOMBI

I don't see what the problem is. The first mag you fired too high up the wall to leave bullet holes and the other times should typical spread patterns for ARs in COD.

nerrel

it wasn't too high up to leave bullet holes, the first grouping can be seen pretty clearly. i did a few tests to make sure it was consistent and i got good, tight groupings like the first one in my video lower down on the wall a few times too; that's what the accuracy is supposed to be like. but the majority of the time it's just big, empty circles.

explain what you mean by "typical spread pattern." by my definition a typical pattern should be a  circle with bullets evenly distributed  in it, just like the first grouping in the vid. instead, you can see the sparks from the bullet holes whizzing around in a huge clockwise circle as you fire, how is that normal?

codcanuck

Hipfiring is SUPPOSED to suck (I think). That way people have to aim down the sight to kill a person that's not right in front of them.

Lol, Treyarch won't patch the hipfire. We have more things to worry about.

infinitlag

If they come with a massive hipfire patch and thats it, I will crack the disk.

semperfi550

nerrel wrote:

this happens with a few of the AR's i've tried, with or without steady aim, and i assume its' the same for any automatic. i've given up on any hope of the weapons being rebalanced, but i hope treyarch at least gets the basic elements of the game working at some point before the lifespan of the game is over.

I don't see a problem here and neihter does Sgt. Foley.

Only little gilrs that suck at the game hip fire spray Assault Rifles. ARs are not ment to be hip srayed, if you wanna play like a noob then go hip spray a PP90m1 otherwise be a man and use the iron sights.

infinitlag

Sgt. Fowley just just made my day.

codcanuck

Ramirez! Stop hipfiring and aim down your sights!

nerrel

maybe this vid will convince you. this time i used 3 guns from different classes on different walls; it happens with all of them. it's not a "particular gun"s recoil like godsmack said nor is it limited to just assault rifles. it's a fundamental glitch in the way hip fire bullets are distributed; deal with it.

if you look at the PP90M1 groupings around :50 you can see that they're wildly inconsistent. the first two look pretty normal and resemble what actual groupings in real life would look like.  then the third goes to crazy town.

if you watch closely, you can see the shift between realistic groupings and giant circles happen mid-fire on some groupings. some AK groups start small and clustered, then suddenly blow way out into the circular line. it happens with the mp9 too, but it's really hard to see because the MP recoil and fire rate fill in the holes quickly, but if you look you can see some semi- circles formed.

my guess is that the game has a maximum limit for how far a bullet can stray from the cursor, which takes the shape of a large circle around the cursor. most bullets should land near the cursor, some will stray a little farther, and a few will land very far off; that big circle is the cutoff line, the farthest they should ever stray. for some reason the game puts every bullet along that maximum line instead of weighting most shots towards the center where the cursor is.

why that happens, your guess is as good as mine. probably for the same reason that shooting the ground after noob tubing used to get you headshots- it's a buggy port. i'd be interested in seeing how the shots group on the HD consoles for comparison.

semperfi550 wrote:

Only little gilrs that suck at the game hip fire spray Assault Rifles. ARs are not ment to be hip srayed, if you wanna play like a noob then go hip spray a PP90m1 otherwise be a man and use the iron sights.

why you assume i'm all about hip fire just because i pointed out a glitch is beyond me, but i never use it, mostly because it's horribly unreliable (see above). even if i did use it, why is it "manlier" to ADS? you do realize aim assist is applied when going down sights? aim assist is real manly. nice spelling; i won't hold it against you, since i assume you haven't reached 5th grade yet.

You should test the hipefire with a wiimote, just a suggestion.

semperfi550

Touche. I'm not gonna give some excuse for my poor spelling.. i guess i just failed. Still i don't see a problem. If hip fire always gave the player small and consistant groupings then what would even be the point of aiming down your sights? If you pick up a gun and hold it at your hip and just hold the trigger until the mag is empy then the recoil would become harder and harder to fight would it not? The fact that the recoil pattern becomes a large circle is weird but i would not say that it needs to be fixed.. it's just balance.

nerrel

let me ask you this- if hip fire is worthless, why even include it? why not just lock all guns so that they have to ADS in order to fire?

the reason is that ADS is awkward for close range fighting. you're supposed to hip fire when someone gets right in your face. that's what it's for. it's supposed to be sloppy compared to ADS, but good enough to handle short range fighting well.

Goldeneye wii had hip fire on some guns that was more accurate than the ADS fire of most guns in this game. it didn't ruin anything. if you wanted to shoot from any moderate distance you still used ADS simply because it was easier (and no, i didn't use the awful snap). you could try to hip fire from afar, but even with great hip accuracy it's just easier to ADS.

why does it even matter? you're putting the cursor on someone and pulling the trigger either way. why is it cheaper  to do it from the hip? there's no aim  assist from the hip, only for ADS, and it's a lot harder to see without zoom. you have a crosshair, sure, but it's no different from a red dot sight.

to reiterate, i'm not saying the hip fire should be perfect or as accurate as goldeneye's was. it should just be reliable enough to hit someone from two feet away. it's exactly the way like2nap said, sometimes people spring up too fast to use ADS. i've wasted thousands of bullets shooting people right in my face without any hit markers because of this. i always assumed it was lag, but the fact that it's just shoddy programming integral to the game makes it even more frustrating.

semperfi550

Hip fire should always be a last resort or used in tight spaces so it should not even be half as accurate as ADS. If there is a very small distance between you and another player the spread wont matter. As you saw in the video you were a good deal away from the walls which gave the bullets time to spread so the closer you are the less spread there is.

Plus the hipfire in Goldeneye is so unballenced.. sniper rifles can be hip fired with near 100% accuracy not to mention that sniper rounds are one hit kill pretty much every time. Then you have spraying shotguns as well as the SMGs and ARs. The hipfire in Goldeneye is not a good comparison simply because of how out of ballance it is.

like2nap03

I'm surprised that no one sees the issue here.  Ever hip fire at someone and completely miss?  Even though you pointed right at them at a close range?  The gun is drawing a circle around there head.  That's why sometimes, even up close, you can't hit them while hip firing and they run through your bullets and knife you which shouldn't be possibe but the bullets are going around them.  The bullets aren't starting at the barrel and going outward at the proper angle and are kind of just vexing out around the target.  Who goes ADS when someone suprises you around a corner?  That's when you should hipfire, but because of this spread issue, you may miss. 

infinitlag

If tou use the wii mote you can't keep the remote still so it hip fires in different places. Maybe its just the ccp.

If they patch the hipfire, would that make the akimbos better?

codcanuck

Aha...now I see what you mean.

When I saw your original vid I thought that it was just because the gun was an assault rifle. But after seeing the PP90M1 do the same thing when it's designed for close quarters, I'm starting to agree with you.

PikaBoo

huh thats weird, This one time i was goofing around on single player and i was spelling out word with my bullets cause thats wat we used to do in MOHH2 and I had a nostalgia-boner and I was hip firing into the walls with G36C and the PP90 and no circles, it was all random and totally not a circle with both guns...I'll try it out again later and see what happens