22 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 4:03 AM by Stormproot RSS

UK/EU Players - Very specific problem connecting to Poison Pawn's Server

Stormproot

Calling any UK/EU-based players.

I am having a hell of a time trying to connect to Poison Pawn's dedicated server:

<DoM> HC CTF/DOM/DEMO

63.211.221.130:27015

It does not appear in my server list in-game.

It does not appear in the server list in the Steam client.

I cannot connect after setting the server up as a favourite in the Steam client.

I cannot connect after receiving a game invite directly from Poison Pawn.

I cannot connect through GameTracker.

I CAN ping the server from my command line.

I CAN connect to other dedicated servers using the same port with no problems.

Also, when I look at the server list in the Steam client, and select "US - West" (server is based in Seatlle) as a filter, NO CODMW3 servers appear in the list at all.

Could anyone here based in the UK or EU please have a go at connecting to this server - and let me know if you can get your game to connect.

Many thanks in advance.

• Re: UK/EU Players - Very specific problem connecting to Poison Pawn's Server
    onefourseven

I got in through game tracker and I'm in the UK. Had 2-3 bars so not really too bad. I will take a look later when the yanks get outta bed

Stormproot

Thanks for that - at least I now know it's a problem related to my setup and connection.

Steam support simply fobbed me off to Activision support

I am going to have to sort this one all on my own I think.

poison_pawn

I know this might seem like captain obvious: but have you tried delting you ClientRegistry.blob in steam. Maybe it's only a STEAM issue.

Stormproot

I gave it a go - no help I'm afraid.

There seems to be some issue (for me) between Denver and Seattle. My traceroutes always get a * between them, then a hop.

I do think it's down to my link to the internet. As 147 has connected successfully, that suggests it is obviously possible to connect.

It's one of four things

1. Some idiot using the same ISP and locality as myself has been f**king about with servers over in the US(spamming & hacking), and the route back to my network is blocked from that end

2. Somewhere between my router and the backbone there is a filter messing about with networking packets over to the US west coast. Command line networking commands like ping will work because they allow for retries - I think MW3 does not do retries on initial connections - so when contacting the server because there is not an immediate response, it assumes there is no server listening.

3. For some reason my ping is spiking without me knowing, and this is preventing a proper connection

4. There is a networking forwarding problem as far as my machine is concerned. When you are online playing on the server, the IP address and ports are different to those shown on your website and in game tracker. This may be some kind of caching problem more towards my end of things.

onefourseven

I checked in at various times over the weekend, the trouble is the time difference. To play on that server when populated it would probably be (guesses) around 2-3am for us Brits?

Stormproot

I think I may set up my own server.

Perhaps become the UK chapter of <DoM> - with their permission of course

It costs £29 per quarter to run an 18 slot MW3 server from these guys: http://www.gamingdeluxe.co.uk/

And you get 1GB of web hosting bundled in to set up your clan web portal.

I'd also need to buy a domain name for the web portal, they usualy cost £10 for two years.

So, PP - wanna go international?

wierd worlds are these

Gaming Deluxe are really good, they have just merged with Killer Creations which is the company my clan used for all our servers for quite a while now, never had a problem with anything from them apart from user error known as a MGP moment on my clans forum, Storm you will see what I mean soon lol.

I know when I ran a server up on my home connection it got full and was fine for a while, and then I was running it up and no one was coming on it anymore apart from 1 or 2 people.

Because of the lack of ranking on them they are just not popular as there really is no reason for most COD players to play on them.

onefourseven

It is a good idea Storm but as World's say's It is difficult to get the people to play them without rankings and what not. Otherwise if you are willing to get one going then yes I would play it. Personally I am a FFA player but I like Dom and KC as well. hmm

Stormproot

What about competitions with cash prizes?

wierd worlds are these

I wouldn't even think about it to be honest because how are you to know if someone is cheating or not and that is the reason we don't have Elite.

If more people in my clan were playing the game I would have got a server for it, just like I did for Black Op's but because they refuse to play it I have not looked at getting a server.

Stormproot

Yeah, I was thinking about the cheating aspect on my way into work this morning, and unless there is a way to sort it out, then it's a no-no.

I'm just grasping at straws to get a better MW3 experience. If I do think of anything that's practical - I will go for it and let you all know.

Meantime, I think I'll put my more of my energies into BF3.

Couldn't get on to play last night, went to the cinema to see 'Battleship' which was very entertaining - then when I got home I had to do some more work until 11PM

May get a chance to get on tonight for an hour or so.

wierd worlds are these

Well managed to have a few games last night on Cod 4, and got banned from a server for beating a admin in 3 out of 4 games lol.

Then watched the football.

Decided I am going to get some Cod 4 and Cod 5 gameplay up on Youtube, but I have lost my rank on both games because a hdd died which had my backups on.

Stormproot

wierd worlds are these wrote:

Well managed to have a few games last night on Cod 4, and got banned from a server for beating a admin in 3 out of 4 games lol.

I really don't like that kind of thing - it's a bit childish, and I know it happens alot on quite a few servers for many games - it's what makes me apprehensive about joining such things.

If I were an admin I would NEVER do that to anyone, it's completely against the spirit of any kind of gaming or sport.

But I would be a complete nazi when it comes to cheaters

Your NTHW clan server looks like it's run well though, and I think I'll persist with it.

wierd worlds are these

We only kick people for breaking the rules and cheating.

The other night on our BF3 server there was a guy who kept flying over the spawn point, in a helicopter and killing us as we spawned he was warned 3 times to stop it, and he carried on so we kicked him he came back and carried on so we gave him another warning at which point he started, insulting the admins (bad move) so he was banned and so was everyone else on the server with the same clan tags, as we don't need people like that on our server.

Stormproot

That's the way it should be.

Your server, your rules, and everyone abides by the rules, including the admins.

Can't argue with that - that is fair. After all it is you guys who pay out for the server - so it should be run the way you want it - and at the same time you are fair to everyone else.

And if some people don't like it, well they can go play somewhere else.

onefourseven

Well I would be more than happy to help cover cost's, even just for an experiment. Not sure of the contract's for server's, probably a year?

Stormproot

You can pay monthly, quarterly, bi-annually or annualy - I think the contract is the same as the billing period - you pay up front.

I am going to mull it over between now and when the DLC comes out, and have a good think about pros and cons and all the rest. If I were to go ahead, I think I would want the DLC maps included - so I'd wait until these were available.

Also I need to suss out the whole technical end a bit more - e.g. you get a MW3 server - do you need to install the game on there yourself? or just provide your key or whatever etc etc.

Also, a website to go along with the server is a must - to provide the server rules and a forum and the rest of it - so I need to know what web hosting is also bundled so I can choose the relevant web forum software (unless they provide one for you) and so on, and so forth and suchlike.

All that said, I would welcome a partner or partners to help get it set up and help with admin.

poison_pawn

Stormproot wrote:

You can pay monthly, quarterly, bi-annually or annualy - I think the contract is the same as the billing period - you pay up front.

I am going to mull it over between now and when the DLC comes out, and have a good think about pros and cons and all the rest. If I were to go ahead, I think I would want the DLC maps included - so I'd wait until these were available.

Also I need to suss out the whole technical end a bit more - e.g. you get a MW3 server - do you need to install the game on there yourself? or just provide your key or whatever etc etc.

Also, a website to go along with the server is a must - to provide the server rules and a forum and the rest of it - so I need to know what web hosting is also bundled so I can choose the relevant web forum software (unless they provide one for you) and so on, and so forth and suchlike.

All that said, I would welcome a partner or partners to help get it set up and help with admin.

Best bet, is to either run two server, one with CLD, and one with out, or only run one with out (I'm opting to run one with out this go around) I tried running one server in Black ops with ALL maps; and it didn't work out well (every one that plays, have the original maps; some people have all the DLC, some have part, and some refused it all together.) so i ran one ALL maps, and one NO DLC; that seemed to work.

BUT with this game, I doubt I'll even run one MW3 server at all once BLOPs 2 comes out.

So I certainly won't waist time with DLC.

As to starting, or merging with a clan I thought about it last night, and just think it would be to hard to do, from across the pond.

but this is my suggestion: join a clan, earn some point with the clan leader by being active, and willing to take on responsibilities (when asked)

Don't try to rush it, a good leader

doesn't try to compel members to take responsibilities; but is rather willing to except help (if some one id tugging on my coat, to do this or that, it only bugs me; usually when you do call on that one for help, they have some reason they can't, or just won't)

But if some one see your actively involved (on the servers, and forums, they will ASK YOU, if you would like to help with this or that; either as a Forum, or server moderator etc...

Myself (and I learned this from previous clans) will have sections in the forums that only server admin, and moderator can access.

With instructions, and discussions on server, and web site controls (this would be you school) and of course good ol' "trial and error" (yes and google will aways be your friend)

But if you want to do it your self: This is the jist; the web site, servers, and coms Combined, is the clan.

Pick a name, buy a domain, set up your forum (PhP fusion is the easiest to use) set up your servers, and coms vent, TS, mumbles etc... create a logo (doesn't have to be fancy; just something that identifies your clan)

and advertise every place that will let you.

accept every and any application, (that is within your criteria age, gametype etc... (and just accept that no matter how many people join; only 15-20 will actually be "CORE" members.

(and this will be your admin team pool)

But like I said before: don't try to compel them to take up respectabilities LET them. (I've had bad experiences with thinking I was doing people an honor, by thrusting reasonability on them; just to have them quit.) now it more, you can do this if you like.

This may sound egotistical: But every reasonability, about my clan ultimately fall to me.

I don't "beg" for moneys; if the founds don't come in I reach in my pocket. (and I am grateful for every and any donation)

If no one else (and don't get me wrong; people do) seeds the servers I have to.

I get a consensus of course; but what ever servers are added, or taken down, and the content of the web site, is down to me; if I want to keep it rolling (this is the reasonability I took on, when I started this clan: and it's a bit more then a part time job

In short: Be grateful for any help you get; but don't Expect any.

Most people join clans to "be in a clan" not to help run it.

So I'm sure some one over there, would be more then happy, to take you under their wing

Stormproot

Cheers for the advice there PP - and I'm not going to rush into it - I will have nice long slow think about it.

Ultimately what I want is a varied gaming experience with more mature gamers who understand and respect fair play and reasonably good manners. Not to say a bit of swearing and teasing is off the cards - but that can only work between people who have gotten to know each other reasonably well first, and should not be too excessive - I know it's a fine line drawn in a grey area, but much younger gamers (Teens and some very early tweens) don't seem to get it. And I suppose I didn't at that age either - I was very loud and brash and knew everything. I don't want those headaches that come from someone incessantly raging for no real reason other than losing some relatively meaningless internet points in a game.

poison_pawn

wierd worlds are these wrote:

We only kick people for breaking the rules and cheating.

The other night on our BF3 server there was a guy who kept flying over the spawn point, in a helicopter and killing us as we spawned he was warned 3 times to stop it, and he carried on so we kicked him he came back and carried on so we gave him another warning at which point he started, insulting the admins (bad move) so he was banned and so was everyone else on the server with the same clan tags, as we don't need people like that on our server.

Hell I get my ass stomped all the time...lol gj, ns, nn.

Sometimes I hold back just so they don't rage quit.

But if I'm not holding back, and some one beats or matches me: My first question to them (if they're not hacking, breaking house rules or already in a clan, of course) is would you like to join DoM?

Did you try checking the integrity of cache in steam? This could be your problem. Or maybe delete your config_mp.cfg maybe it's been modified by a hacked lobby and is causing a problem.

Stormproot

Yes, done the integrity check several times.

The thing is, the server does not appear in my Steam Client - when I add it as a favourite by IP Address and Port - it shows a status of <Not Responding>

Thanks for trying to help - but this is a particular networking problem I have.

I have tried to contact Steam to see if they know of any pre-existing issues which can cause this, but they fobbed me off onto Activision support - even though I explained I could not find the server in the Steam Client.

Oh well.....