1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 134 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2012 10:26 PM by Hawkeye Go to original post RSS
  • 40. Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    Hawkeye

The weirdest thing happened today.  I turned on the TV to watch the Avengers, but all I could find was the Heroes for Hire. Haha, so the latest episode was something of an odd one with the Avengers not just taking a backseat, but were, for the most part, completely missing.  I loved the confrontration between Hank and Jan, with Jan not just being sad, but outright insulted at Hank acting so determined to completely sever his Avengers ties.  I can't fault Jan for yelling at him when he tried to contact her for help when the Ant-Man gear was stolen, he essentially broke up with her.  But after that, the episode didn't impress me.  The Yellowjacket foreshadowing was cool, the depressed dead-voiced Hank was a far cry from the season one Hank Pym that would get distracted during missions to geek out about one science thing or another, but it also made it feel like less of an Avenger episode.  He was the major link to the Avengers with none of the other cast (minus the one Jan scene) appearing and with him not feeling like his usual self it made it feel all the more like Heroes for Hire rather than EMH. 

Hank himself only appeared for half the episode with much of the episode focused on Scott Lang, Iron fist, and Luke Cage.  There was only a brief reference to Hydra; no Skrulls or Wrecking Crew or AIM or Masters of Evil or SHIELD.  The Avengers were a  bit sidelined last week too, though that still felt like an Avengers episode to me.  You had Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, the Kree, Henry Gyrich, and a big old brawl with Cap, Iron Man, and Hulk taking on Ronan the Accuser.  This episode had Iron Fist and Luke Cage hanging around grimey alleys, fighting some random thugs I didn't recognize at all, and Scott Lang's adventure in bank robbing with a sweet Cassie Lang cameo.  I know they all have been Avengers, but it just didn't feel the same to me.  It was too street drama, not enough Big Damn Heroes.  I also found Crossfire with the hoarse mobster voice really jarring.  To me, he has all the markings of a James Bond villian and think of him as having that type of "No-Mr-Bond-I-expect-you-to-die" sophisticated voice.

But in other news, summaries for the May episodes are out!

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

May 6th, 2012 at 11:30am - 12:00pm (ET/PT) - "Michael Korvac"

The Avengers attempt to protect a mysterious man named Korvac from strange aliens that pursue him, but they soon realize that these aliens are the heroic Guardians of the Galaxy and that it is not Korvac who needs protection, but the Earth itself, in a new episode of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

May 13th, 2012 at 11:30am - 12:00pm (ET/PT) - "Who Do You Trust?"

The Avengers are torn apart when Nick Fury returns and reveals that the shapeshifting alien Skrulls have begun infiltrating Earth. The situation becomes worse when they learn a Skrull lurks within the Avengers, in a new episode of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

May 20th, 2012 at 11:30 - 12:00pm (ET/PT) - "The Ballad of Beta Ray Bill"

While searching for the fire demon Surtur, Thor is attacked by a powerful creature known as Beta Ray Bill, and the unthinkable happens when Bill lifts Thor's hammer as the two battle. Thor must ally himself with this strange warrior to save Asgard before Surtur and his demon army burn it to the ground, in a new episode of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

• 41. Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    Rogue_Shadow

I saw the episode on the same day it aired this time!  I thought this episode was good, but it was missing a lot of the characters we've gotten to know, since Hank and Jan are the only two Avengers to appear (and Jan's gone after the first 5 minutes or so anyways).  Two episodes in a row without Clint is probably making you cry, Hawk!  But I wouldn't say the episode was necessarily bad or anything.  Just kinda felt a little off, I'd say.  Though I'm interested to see how the team's gonna react to their two new additions, in the new Ant-Man and Ms. Marvel, since we haven't seen the team together in a while.

And I gotta say I'm actually pretty excited for next week's episode, with a really out-there story like the Guardians of the Galaxy.  Those kinds of stories can be a lot of fun, and I guess Abnett and Lanning are writing it, which is kinda interesting, since I've never heard of them writing a cartoon episode before...

• 42. Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    Hawkeye

Nah, I rewatched some season one episodes of EMH last night so I wouldn't go through withdrawl, haha.  I would agree, the episode taken in a vacuum isn't necessarily bad, but it's not what I want from EMH.  I don't think Scott Lang is part of the Avengers, Hank just agreed to let him keep the costume and name.  Hank's not really in the position to say who can or can't be an Avenger given he's completely cut ties to them, even breaking up with Jan.

Next week looks to be fun, it looks like we might get the full team for this one!  I'm really interested to see what they do with the Korvac Saga and Guardians of the Galaxy too.  I loved Clint's line from the commercial "There's a tree and raccoon scowling at us", haha.  Reminds me of his line about getting the dirty look from the elf.

• 43. Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    Rogue_Shadow

Maybe he's not gonna be part of the Avengers, but I kinda hope he comes back in a few episodes at some point, since the awkward tension with him and some of the team members would just be aweseom.  He's just about guaranteed to be coming back to help out at some point with fighting the Kree and Skrulls, like I'm assuming most of these guest appearance-type characters, like War Machine, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist.

Yeah, I thought that line was awesome, and the whole episode just looks like it's gonna be a fun and crazy episode.  Probably a nice direction to go after the more serious brooding Hank Pym episode.

• 44. Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    Hawkeye

They were in a picture released leading up to the season two debut so they'll be back.

I'm just a bit sad that it sounds like Wasp won't be in the next episode.  Or at least when Yost was mentioning the different one on one fights on his twitter he forgot to mention her.

• 45. Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    Rogue_Shadow

Yeah, that's what I figure.  They're gonna have a whole bunch of heroes helping out against the Kree and Skrulls, I bet, so they'll definitely end up including all these characters they've been giving guest roles to.

No Jan?!  That is disappointing, especially since she hasn't gotten nearly as much time to shine here as in season 1, but maybe that just means more time for Clint to shine??

• 46. Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    Hawkeye

Jan has definitely taken a backseat so far.  She still has a few fun moments like trashtalking Doom, a few good lines in the Acts of Vengance episode, and the Hank scene, but I wanna see more of her.  Hopefully we'll see her screentime increase as the season goes on.  She's gonna be a major part of the Yellowjacket storyline and we've got Ultron coming back too so there's at least two things she's gotta be a major part of.  There's still something like 20 more episodes in the season so plenty of time for Jan to be awesome!

• 47. Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    Rogue_Shadow

That's what I figure.  They probably decided she's gonna have such a big role later on that they wanted to give her a little less attention early, to almost even it out.  Apparently, they can't just make the show about Clint and Jan.  I know, you're devastated, Hawk...

• 48. Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    Hawkeye

It looks like Jan will be in this week's episode, after all!  Marvel finally posted a preview for this Sunday's episode and it has Jan in it, and she talks!

• 49. Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    Rogue_Shadow

The episode definitely looks like it should be good.  Course, this is EMH we're talking about, so that should be a given, right?  And it looks like we'll get a little more... Avengers in this episode than the last one, which is always nice.

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next