21 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 6:50 PM by zombies4lyfe RSS

Secondaries

nicedrewishfela

Ok, I've been watching the discussions and participating in a fair few... but there is one thing about the revelation of a "future" shooter that is particularly bothering me, and I am wondering if anyone else out there feels the same.

One of my biggest pet peeves with MW3 has got to be the use of automatic secondaries. I am strictly a hardcore player, so I am speaking from that perspective. I've been very frustrated lately with how prevalent the use of the Machine Pistols has become. I got in one match the other day where the entire team was running around with the MP9, which somehow was winning battles against Assault Rifles, Submachine Guns, Shotguns, and on one memorable occasion, a Sniper Rifle at range. For some reason, getting killed by an automatic secondary bugs me to no end. This is particularly true when I go one on one against them with a more powerful weapon. I've even seen people camp in corners with them, and we all know what a fiasco the PMG9's are.

I am a fan of pistols as secondaries, as well as rocket launchers intended to destroy killstreaks. Look back at the best CoD titles, and they primarily had pistols as secondaries. WaW, Cod4... and Black Ops (ok yes I know they had one pistol with an automatic option, but lets face it, it was in no way OP).  Those games also got it right as far as free-firing rockets were concerned. If you tried to shoot from too far away, the rockets accuracy would decrease and fly off course. We see in MW3 how the Rocket has become like a sniper rifle, and how somehow the vapor trail kills just as effectively as the explosion. Don't even get me started on the Noob Tube secondaries. The thumper and China Lake type secondaries drive me crazy. Its bad enough we have them on the primaries, I hate that we give even more as a secondary weapon. And we see what that has manifested... the XM25, possibly the lamest secondary ever.

My concern is mainly this. The leap into the future means we may have to deal with automatic secondaries to a greater extent. It may mean more rockets and tubes or other ridiculous and overpowered secondaries.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if they limited secondaries to single shot pistols or revolvers and launchers meant for taking down killstreaks. I enjoyed the creativity Treyarch employed with the Crossbow(not crazy about the explosive nature of those, but the concept was cool) and the Ballistic Knife, both of which required a certain level of skill to use effectively.

Wondering what the community thinks about this. Are you concerned, as I am, that the futuristic bent of this game will lead to the secondaries becoming as OP as they are in MW3? Would you like to see more of a return to basics approach with the secondaries?

• Re: Secondaries
    iil4zyii

This is a major concern for me too. I had mentioned in a post earlier how Akinbo isnt the problem, that the problem is akimbo machine pistols. They've become to prevalant in multiplayer and get used so much that they should even be considered sencondaries anymore and should be moved to primaries.

Another concern is that since it is jumpin into the future the weapons will most likely be have less recoil hence making them more accurate, will they shoot like MW3 guns and be like a laser beam with pin point accuracy? or will they shoot like the guns in BOs and require a trained trigger finger to manage the recoil and burst fire?

Now i know its treyarch making the game and im a huge fan of their work but i cant stop thinking if the guns in the game will end up being like MW2+MW3

nicedrewishfela

Exactly. My worry is that what they put into the game with the best intentions will be overused by the community. I'd like to see them keep the secondaries simple, meant to be used when your primary runs out of ammo or you get caught in a close quarters engagement.

Film_Not_Rated

Don't jump to far ahead, just because its the future, doesn't mean all guns will work perfect and have near no recoil, it is a game and they will balance them to the best they can and nerf/buff them if needed post release based off GOOD feedback.

The skys the limit for this game, it'll be good to see where it goes.

Only problem with the akimbo secondary in mw3 is that hip firing those things while in akimbo is ridiculously more accurate than sighting in, especially with steady aim, it doesn't make sense haha

AnakyUK

They just need to have Handguns and Launchers as secondaries like Black Ops did

i recall this on my petition list, http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200423045. And i tottally agree with you, no secondarie should be better than the worst primary gun.

I also agree.  Secondary weapons need to be toned down.

delde115

it bugs me to, i think what they should do is that o.p weapons like pmg9s shouldnt have akimbo and none o.p weapons should that way they are equal

Steve2589

I wouldn't worry too much just yet until we see them. There's no guarantee that those weapons will feature in Black Ops 2. There's a lot of weapons that could have featured in MW3 for example but didn't

Why don't you stop and use them there the best guns in the game fmg9 and mp9. I hope there in black ops and more op

Honestly Akimbo Machine Pistol secondaries have never bothered me at all in MW2 or 3. The FMG9s have been nerfed nearly to death. I don't understand how they bother you in HC OP, because out of all the guns they get the most hitmarkers in those gametypes. ALL the noobtubes in MW3, including the Thumper-type thing and the XM25 are absolutely useless outside of HC, but I think that's fair because EVERYTHING is supposed to kill fast in HC for "realism". Core is actually supposed to be balanced lol. And besides, people would still complain even if the Machine Pistols were Primaries, because that's generally how smart people use them anyways.

gallp13

Agree OP v good points. Here's to NO automatic secondaries.

I agree 100%. No machine pistol secondaries, Black Ops had it perfect when it comes to secondary balancing. Unlike IW who ****** up twice.

skippinglobster

Yeah I agree machine pistols should go, I think Black Ops 2 should have some pistols and a Killstreak launcher, then focus on Specials. The crossbow and ballistic knives were some of my favorite things in Black Ops, I really like the idea of having secondary weapons that are essentially there so you can brag a little when you get a kill with them. Not to mention how fun it is to win a FFA and get a final kill cam with one.

I for one hope they bring back the crossbow and ballistic knives while also adding more novelty weapons, they really add a fun dynamic to the game.

nicedrewishfela

Completely agree. The Crossbow and Tac knife were like nothing we've seen before. I would like to see the Crossbow without the explosive tip. The Tac knife was fun to mess about with... I wonder what other weapons they could mix in...

zombies4lyfe

im getting tired of every 1 complaining about how things are. who do you all think made the machine pistols happen in the first place? the community.... cod 4 was a shot in the dark and got it nearly perfect.... 3-5-7 killstreaks requiring minimal skill to achieve. and the secondaries werent even called secondaries they were called side arms. In my opinion even tho the g18 from mw2 was (powerful) the regular side arms were still the best compared to any game out since. blops pistols sucked akimbo m9 from mw2 required 2 bullets to get a kill lol, and i know your speaking from a hardcore point of view but even so, if the (community) keeps asking for dumbed down weapons we will be angry that every gun sucks... look what happened to the m16 from cod4 to mw3... from feed back...... what used to be the best gun came crumbling down to complete garbage.