1 2 3 Previous Next 69 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2012 7:38 AM by Tunnleram RSS

Abolished IWnet/Match Making

poison_pawn

P2P networking is a nightmare for PC gaming; and should be abolished.

It was a bad idea, and should be, put to pasture, laid to rest, killed, buried 6’ under

What in the world could any one find convenient about waiting for a computer program to match you up with people with 150+ pings?

Or drop you in to as server, by chance; that might (most likely) have uncivilized 4SS hats, and possibly cheaters. With no supervision, and no recourse (other then leaving and starting the prosses all over; and more then likely just get put back in to the same group of player)

There is nothing difficult about joining a dedicated server:

All you really have to do is press play/refresh and CHOSE the server you would like to play on. (And even favorite the ones you like)

If P2P where in any way more convenient, more secure, or had better choices, I might see the point.

But it is a totally useless, unnecessary feature for the internet… and causes much more harm then good. 

And I guarantee you I can hop in a dedicated server OF MY CHOICE, faster then you can get in to a match making session.

I also guarantee that I will less likely want to leave as soon as I get in. and I will certainly have a more pleasant night of gaming.

Poison_pawn PCO

• 1. Re: Abolished IWnet
    Malakai1

Harsh, but I understand where you're coming from.

+1

• 2. Re: Abolished IWnet
    [pde]paulkersey

I agree on a personal level, but I think there should be both for those who just can't wrap their heads around how great dedicated servers are and are always complaining about this and that. Leave them on a P2P network and those who enjoy options and good gaming play on dedicated servers. Those guys are the ones who always want to see dedicated servers limited and for what? Dedicated servers ave very helpful and flexible. Just look at what MW3 COULD'VE been.

That's the only reason I say there should be both. Now, if both aren't a reality, bring on the 'dedi-servers'.

• 3. Re: Abolished IWnet
    {bhc}max|co

RANKED SERVERS FTW P2PFAILS RANKED SERVERS FTW P2PFAILS,

for us real pc gamers ,we need proper RANKED SERVERS with proper RCON CONTROL out of the box

bo1 ranked servers are good , but we need more choice of gsp, we need proper rcon and set up functions.

• 4. Re: Abolished IWnet
    poison_pawn

[pde]paulkersey wrote:

I agree on a personal level, but I think there should be both for those who just can't wrap their heads around how great dedicated servers are and are always complaining about this and that. Leave them on a P2P network and those who enjoy options and good gaming play on dedicated servers. Those guys are the ones who always want to see dedicated servers limited and for what? Dedicated servers ave very helpful and flexible. Just look at what MW3 COULD'VE been.

That's the only reason I say there should be both. Now, if both aren't a reality, bring on the 'dedi-servers'.

I see where you're coming from: But this just promotes more division, upon division. (it's already becoming Us vs. Them) I say leave the console feature to the consoles, and the PC feature to the PC (if people want to use both, they just have to learn to use the different features, that includes, to a lesser extent controllers.)

I have enough patience to deal with "schooling" the younger PC gamers; and don't mind "noobs" learning the ropes. (we where all new at some time) however they will never learn proper PC etiquette, or truly hone their skills, if left to roam the country side unsupervised.

And we already have the DLC vs NO DLC camps; we do not need further divisions.

Beside all that: it has now been established, that console style P2P match making DOESN'T work on the Internet.

(It is a definition of insanity to continue trying the same failed routine over and over.) http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200412739

I though (mistakenly) that enough PCO people would not care about stats, leveling, and Elite and all that BS etc...

But I have learned from my mistake. (people want what is promised them: and I don't blame them) But unranked servers set empty for the most part, and not just because they are unranked; also for the lack of control the amin have over them , and the fact that IW tried to keep them a secret.

When will IW/Activision learn from theirs? (probably never)

But it would be a real shame if Treyach decided to make the same mistake.

Poison_pawn PCO

• 5. Re: Abolished IWnet
    Tunnleram

I think BF3 has a good setup. They just have origin and a poor way of forming parties unfortunately. They have ranked dedicated servers with a match making process + a queuing system.

• 6. Re: Abolished IWnet

Sir I would like to ask you to join my topic and express your opinions on what you would like to see in Call of Duty: Black Ops II so join me and shoot some comments below on my topic here is the name of my topic.

PC features that must be added in Call of Duty: Black Ops II  

• 7. Re: Abolished IWnet
    poison_pawn

bump

• 8. Re: Abolished IWnet

poison_pawn wrote:

P2P networking is a nightmare for PC gaming; and should be abolished.

It was a bad idea, and should be, put to pasture, laid to rest, killed, buried 6’ under

What in the world could any one find convenient about waiting for a computer program to match you up with people with 150+ pings?

Or drop you in to as server, by chance; that might (most likely) have uncivilized 4SS hats, and possibly cheaters. With no supervision, and no recourse (other then leaving and starting the prosses all over; and more then likely just get put back in to the same group of player)

There is nothing difficult about joining a dedicated server:

All you really have to do is press play/refresh and CHOSE the server you would like to play on. (And even favorite the ones you like)

If P2P where in any way more convenient, more secure, or had better choices, I might see the point.

But it is a totally useless, unnecessary feature for the internet… and causes much more harm then good. 

And I guarantee you I can hop in a dedicated server OF MY CHOICE, faster then you can get in to a match making session.

I also guarantee that I will less likely want to leave as soon as I get in. and I will certainly have a more pleasant night of gaming.

Poison_pawn PCO

Perfectly said, bump.

• 9. Re: Abolished IWnet

bump

1 2 3 Previous Next