So.. if there are in fact Care Packages in the next game ( I am going to assume there will be, as they have had them in the last several entries) I have some thoughts and ideas. One of the things I really enjoyed about Black Ops was that it bucked the typical Care Package trend that we have come to know. IE- Throw smoke, get care package (unless someone kills you), Get a killstreak that already exists in the game or ammo. Black Ops, while it did incorporate already existing killstreaks, introduced the idea of unique killstreaks like the Grim Reaper and Death Machine, which could only be obtained through a drop. It also introduced the idea of hacking the drop, which I thought was a stroke of brilliance and one of my favorite things to do in any CoD ever. It even introduced the idea of being able to change the contents if you didn't like whatever random streak you got. I personally loved the innovation, and as I was replaying the MP it got me thinking about taking it even further.
I've got a few ideas, wondering what people think and if they have any ideas of their own, or if they like the system how it is.
- Make the care package a higher level streak to incorporate these ideas. Perhaps around 8 kills or so.
- Make the care package contents unique streaks that you can't already assign yourself. How frustrating was it to get a care package with a spy plane when you had Spy Planes on your kill streak already? Make them something worth defending or going after, something you can't get anywhere else in the game. They don't have to be OP, perse, just something different.
- If the game continues with the idea of support/assault packages (I know this is a point of contention for many, I like them personally) then have a "Support" Care Package and an "Assault Care Package". "Support" care packages would only yield Non-Lethal killstreaks that can be shared with the team, while Assault Care Packages have Lethal Killstreaks.
- Continue to have a perk that allows packages to be hacked. It was just one of the little joys in life when playing BlOps, that splat sound when someone tried to open it.
- Award XP to teammates who defend a care package from someone trying to steal it. If someone on the opposing team is hijacking it, and your teammate kills them, they get awarded for helping the team. Conversely, if friendly fire is turned on in HC on the next game, if you kill a teammate who is the owner of the care package, you are disabled from recovering said package.
Some "Unique" Care Package ideas-
- Put Ballistic Vests into a package. People are raging about them in MW3, and they are being abused, so make it something that you get by chance. The package drops, its vests, and teammates can take one each until they get destroyed or go away. This way, getting them would be an occasion, not the usual.
- Team Ammo Drop- Like the ammo drop in BlOps, except for use by anyone on the team. Lasts 30 seconds, teammates can replenish primary/secondary ammo and tactical/lethal grenades.
- Team Equipment drop- Sort of a random grab bag. Teammates can all grab from this drop, which would reward them each with a random piece of equipment. Could be something lethal like a claymore or betty, or something protective like a trophy system.
- Manned Turret- Manned machine gun emplacement. Can be placed anywhere on the map, and unlike a sentry gun has to be manned by a member of the team and lasts until its out of Ammo or is destroyed. Can be hijacked by the other team if they kill the gunner and take control.
- Blackbird- I know, outdated, but whatever the current version is. The Blackbird was powerful in BlOps. Offer a similar killstreak with limitations like the Advanced UAV in MW3 as a normal kill streak, and make the more powerful Blackbird a care drop. Can't be destroyed by ground support, shows everyone on the map and the direction they are moving.
- Bunker Bomb- Similar to a Pred Missile, but can be used on covered buildings. For example, if you see red dots inside a building currently with a Pred the missile will just explode ineffectively on the roof. With the Bunker Buster, it would destroy anyone in the room targeted.
Just my imagination running wild on me, and thinking about how Care Packages could play a bigger role in the game. What are your thoughts? Do you like the current system or would you like to see a change? Any ideas of your own?