13 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 9:56 AM by nicedrewishfela RSS

Care Packages

nicedrewishfela

So.. if there are in fact Care Packages in the next game ( I am going to assume there will be, as they have had them in the last several entries) I have some thoughts and ideas. One of the things I really enjoyed about Black Ops was that it bucked the typical Care Package trend that we have come to know. IE- Throw smoke, get care package (unless someone kills you), Get a killstreak that already exists in the game or ammo. Black Ops, while it did incorporate already existing killstreaks, introduced the idea of unique killstreaks like the Grim Reaper and Death Machine, which could only be obtained through a drop. It also introduced the idea of hacking the drop, which I thought was a stroke of brilliance and one of my favorite things to do in any CoD ever. It even introduced the idea of being able to change the contents if you didn't like whatever random streak you got. I personally loved the innovation, and as I was replaying the MP it got me thinking about taking it even further.

I've got a few ideas, wondering what people think and if they have any ideas of their own, or if they like the system how it is.

1. Make the care package a higher level streak to incorporate these ideas. Perhaps around 8 kills or so.
  2. Make the care package contents unique streaks that you can't already assign yourself. How frustrating was it to get a care package with a spy plane when you had Spy Planes on your kill streak already?  Make them something worth defending or going after, something you can't get anywhere else in the game. They don't have to be OP, perse, just something different.
  3. If the game continues with the idea of support/assault packages (I know this is a point of contention for many, I like them personally) then have a "Support" Care Package and an "Assault Care Package". "Support" care packages would only yield Non-Lethal killstreaks that can be shared with the team, while Assault Care Packages have Lethal Killstreaks.
  4. Continue to have a perk that allows packages to be hacked. It was just one of the little joys in life when playing BlOps, that splat sound when someone tried to open it.
  5. Award XP to teammates who defend a care package from someone trying to steal it. If someone on the opposing team is hijacking it, and your teammate kills them, they get awarded for helping the team.  Conversely, if friendly fire is turned on in HC on the next game, if you kill a teammate who is the owner of the care package, you are disabled from recovering said package.

Some "Unique" Care Package ideas-

• Put Ballistic Vests into a package. People are raging about them in MW3, and they are being abused, so make it something that you get by chance. The package drops, its vests, and teammates can take one each until they get destroyed or go away. This way, getting them would be an occasion, not the usual.
  • Team Ammo Drop- Like the ammo drop in BlOps, except for use by anyone on the team. Lasts 30 seconds, teammates can replenish primary/secondary ammo and tactical/lethal grenades.
  • Team Equipment drop-  Sort of a random grab bag. Teammates can all grab from this drop, which would reward them each with a random piece of equipment. Could be something lethal like a claymore or betty, or something protective like a trophy system.
  • Manned Turret- Manned machine gun emplacement. Can be placed anywhere on the map, and unlike a sentry gun has to be manned by a member of the team and lasts until its out of Ammo or is destroyed. Can be hijacked by the other team if they kill the gunner and take control.
  • Blackbird- I know, outdated, but whatever the current version is.  The Blackbird was powerful in BlOps. Offer a similar killstreak with limitations like the Advanced UAV in MW3 as a normal kill streak, and make the more powerful Blackbird a care drop. Can't be destroyed by ground support, shows everyone on the map and the direction they are moving.
  • Bunker Bomb- Similar to a Pred Missile, but can be used on covered buildings. For example, if you see red dots inside a building currently with a Pred the missile will just explode ineffectively on the roof. With the Bunker Buster, it would destroy anyone in the room targeted.

Just my imagination running wild on me, and thinking about how Care Packages could play a bigger role in the game. What are your thoughts? Do you like the current system or would you like to see a change? Any ideas of your own?

• Re: Care Packages
    avengedyesterday

Carepackages were always there for people who weren't good at being able to reach high killstreak, and giving them a chance to get one.

If it were up to me i'd take out the support but offer more lower tier killstreaks for those who can't normally get more then 5-6 points in a row without dying.

It really just took pubstomping to a new level when you get a full party and three or four all run support while the others run assault, it's just complete domination with little counter against randoms.

avengedyesterday wrote:

Carepackages were always there for people who weren't good at being able to reach high killstreak, and giving them a chance to get one.

If it were up to me i'd take out the support but offer more lower tier killstreaks for those who can't normally get more then 5-6 points in a row without dying.

It really just took pubstomping to a new level when you get a full party and three or four all run support while the others run assault, it's just complete domination with little counter against randoms.

I like the support killstreaks myself, I just don't think it was right that they got things as powerful as Stealth Bomber, Juggernaut and EMP (though if it only lasted 20-30 seconds it would have worked better).

Added a new dynamic. I liked that if I was up against a team that outgunned me I could swap to my Support package and although I wouldn't get my beloved Pred Missiles or Pave Lows, I could still get some sort of air support to help myself and my teammates cap flags and whatnot (particularly Recon Drone & EMP).

nicedrewishfela

Seems to be veering off topic. Didn't want to discuss the merits of the Support/Assault class, thats been address in numerous other threads.

avengedyesterday

nicedrewishfela wrote:

Seems to be veering off topic. Didn't want to discuss the merits of the Support/Assault class, thats been address in numerous other threads.

Determinging what funtion a carepackage should fill requires disscussing what the other possibilites are. Having 2 different pointstreak packages changes the game.

I like the idea of having a limited Blackbird in the regular streak options and having the more powerful Blackbird we know from Black Ops being obtained from the Care Package. Blackbirds were extremely frustrating to be up against since the only counter to one was a counter spy plane, and generally you aren't going to get one of those if the enemy has a Blackbird up.

Although, I would not like this if the same perk that's immune to regular Spy Planes is immune to the mini-Blackbird aswell (like the Adv UAV in MW3 >_>)

avengedyesterday

SniperPTFO wrote:

I like the idea of having a limited Blackbird in the regular streak options and having the more powerful Blackbird we know from Black Ops being obtained from the Care Package. Blackbirds were extremely frustrating to be up against since the only counter to one was a counter spy plane, and generally you aren't going to get one of those if the enemy has a Blackbird up.

Although, I would not like this if the same perk that's immune to regular Spy Planes is immune to the mini-Blackbird aswell (like the Adv UAV in MW3 >_>)

The blackbird was fine IMO because you actually had to earn the 8 kills. The problem isn't the blackbird it's the fact counter uav really just isn't worth picking up unless you are playing in a party. If they can find a way to beef up the counter uav to make it more appealing then the problem is solved.

Or if Blackbird had a slightly shorter duration (40 sec), or could be shot down with 2 rockets or something. When you compare it to a Chopper Gunner (probably the most common and most powerful of the lethal killstreaks) which could be taken down by a solid team in a matter of seconds it really outmatches it by a landslide.

The Blackbird cannot be shot down, and for an entire minute everybody on your team knows the exact position in real time of the enemy players. It's not just getting kills for that player, it completely stops the other team from accomplishing anything for a minute unless they happen to have a Counter Spy Plane in their pocket.

gallp13

Hello Nice,

Props on some fresh ideas...like the unique rewards suggestion. I don't use care packages much but when I do I just love the luck dip effect......it's just like Xmas.....lots of fun.

I will follow your future posts with interest...keep these thought provoking threads coming.

^^^^ this the lucky dip, i got a jugg the other day, had it once before but got shot in the process of collecting . to op good ideas there like the vests into care package makes sence. times have to come down tho for certain things i think 30secs is enough for certain streaks .

zombies4lyfe

Just so i dont get off topic, in general i do not like care packages, when ever i called 1 in, it got stolen from me, and all of a sudden in the first minute of the game a ac 130 is already in the air from one. I do not beleive people should be awarded with random rewards....

zombies4lyfe

balistic vest should never return, i hate infinity fail for bringing "pain killer" and ballistic vest to the game. Oh and final stand which i see daily from noobs that die 4 times in a row.

rankismet

nicedrewishfela wrote:

So.. if there are in fact Care Packages in the next game...

1. Make the care package a higher level streak to incorporate these ideas. Perhaps around 8 kills or so.
    2. Continue to have a perk that allows packages to be hacked. It was just one of the little joys in life when playing BlOps, that splat sound when someone tried to open it.
    3. Award XP to teammates who defend a care package from someone trying to steal it. If someone on the opposing team is hijacking it, and your teammate kills them, they get awarded for helping the team.  Conversely, if friendly fire is turned on in HC on the next game, if you kill a teammate who is the owner of the care package, you are disabled from recovering said package.

1. Agree. Make it higher.
    2. Agree.
    3. Love the XP idea but kick the guy who did the TK. No place for it at all.
      nicedrewishfela

Yeah, I hate the TKer as well, I've expressed my feelings on the HC threads about bringing back the 3 and out. Personally I agree with you that they should get kicked for stealing a care package, but was just thinking about how to keep them from being able to take advantage of TKing to obtain something that doesn't belong to them.