38 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2012 6:13 PM by eko RSS

I'll take that low KD @## whoopin

I play KC and have finally been climbing the leaderboards a bit, so out come the trolls.  I am sick and tired of people in the lobby bragging about their KDs and how they are a better player because of their high KD.  It's a load of crap.  OK buddy; my KD sucks at 1.14 (1.24 on KC) but it doesn't mean jack squat.  My KC SPM is respectable at 290, I finished at the top of the leaderboard in nearly every game I played against you, and where were you with your almighty KD?  You were in the middle at best, weren't you?  So you go ahead and hide in some remote section of the map while I get kills and grab tags to earn my team the win.

The irony is, I play with the reckless playstyle inferred above, constantly running, spraying, and grabbing tags; yet when I have a high KD game then I'm suddenly a camper.  Not sure how that works. 

All in all, I guess the fact that I am pissing people off is an indication that I'm finally getting good at COD.

• Re: I'll take that low KD @## whoopin
    rlbl

Nice rant/vent.

Does KD matter? TDM - yep, FFA - yep

Anywhere else? ... the jury is out.

Thanks, I just needed to let it out.  I agree that it matters 100% in TDM and FFA, but if you don't play the objective in objective games, they can camp all they want but all they'll get for it is a high KD and a loss.  I also know that some strategies will have a person who sits back and gets the kills and another who grabs the tags; but even in that situation, one person comes out with a low KD and high points.

rlbl

agreed.

I cannot tell you the amount of times I play HC DOM and after we beat the other team (sometimes they do not even get to 100) they say: "look they all went negative" - like that is some sort of consolation prize that they were positive.

We just laugh and say: "yep, look who lost". To which they always (yes always) reply: "I do not care about the win, my KD is up"

This is what I do not understand.

Win = more points

Win = better SPM

Win = level faster

K/D = ??? (as it is in no way an indicator of anything)*

* if you are decent, you will have a decent K/D; you can be bad with a good K/D though...

The jury is out.

ghamorra

For kill confirmed as long as your K/D is above 1 and and you're managing to collect tags then you're all good

However, if your K/D falls below 1 then you just become a killfeed for the other team while you whore dog tags and let your team get torn apart by airsupport that you single handidly gave the enemy

True most of the time, but not all of it.  If the entire enemy team camps and doesn't grab any tags, and your team gets some kills, but dies grabbing tags you can still win.  I have played many games where I was the only player on my team to go positive (barely) and yet we won because the other team just camped an area and never left except when they respawned. In fact, I think I posted some end of game stats on this same subject in another thread a couple months ago.

zvers

No problem. The therapy session will be $200.00 (US). Invoice is in the mail.

KD matters. But smart gameplay matters even more. Sometimes taking a death to make sure that obj gets capped. Other times you need to know when to post up away from the obj and get kills while letting ppl on the obj cap with out incident. This is a constant breakdown that needs to be done multiple times in a game. But 99.9% of the time having a high KDR will not impede your teams chance of the W.

eko

rlbl wrote:

Nice rant/vent.

Does KD matter? TDM - yep, FFA - yep

Anywhere else? ... the jury is out.

Nope.

Snipingdbag

Your k/d in mw3 is the meaning of life. I suggest you buy a tent and wait for some fish.

welcome to MW3! if your good, your a hacker or a camper

adsjones

hey im the same KD means jack if you got <10 kills in the game

any1 in UK that plays KC add my psn

Adsjones

xxphenomen4xx

yeah i agree with you danny, because kc for me is about running for tags at all times, even if i get killed, because the one who shot me still has to get my tags.  i get as many tags from other people as i do with getting the kill myself and then collecting!?  and i win!?

DaShuk2381

K/D became the focal point of the game when they made the lobby stats public and you can view everybody's stats for the game mode you are in while waiting for the next map. IMO that is the single biggest thing that ruined the game play experience for MW3. Now regardless of game mode all anyone cares about is that their K/D looks "sexy" for everybody else to see so they can pound their chest. People are way too focused on K/D in this game.

As for KC it's possible to still be very effective even if you are going negative, especially if you are in a crap lobby where no one wants to risk their precious k/d to collect tags. Even on games I go negative in K/d I am normally in one of the top 2 spots on our team with 2000-3000+ points because I'm the only one grabbing tags. If I die 10 times but grab 15+ tags and deny kills, then I am still an effective player regardless of K/d.

The biggest selling point for MW3 was the stat-tracking ability, from the in-game lobby leaderboards to the entire Elite system. For non-premium members, Elite is nothing but an online stat-tracking system. All the emphasis on statistics makes players think they're important.

I think it's a cause/effect relationship. Good players have good stats, so therefore improving stats makes one a better player. But then some people are lazy and find easy ways to raise their stats without actually getting better at the game. They assume the stats are the end goal, rather than just getting better at the game.

If you get better and play smarter, your stats will improve. If you improve your stats, you aren't necessarily playing better or smarter.

wridtrvlr

Agreed Danny!   I love it when I go somewhat middle ground, 25-20 or something and we get the W.  There's always someone on the losing team bragging about their K/D....SO WHAT?!?!?!  YOU STILL LOST BIOTCH!!!  I went positive, even if just barely, and pulled out the W for my team because I wasn't sitting ADS in some corner waiting for people to run by. 

Also 100% agree with RLBL.  TDM and FFA, yes absolutely 1000000% k/d matters because it takes kills to get the W.  In objective game modes though it means ziltch. 

I love when people cry cus i don't presteige. They assume high lvl = good, but all it takes is time and points to score and rank up, i could get there by simple objectives, yet the babies cry so they have a warning when someone capable of serving them an ass whoopin is present.

duderew

High SPM is important, yes.  Being active and generating kills and scooping up tags is important, yes.  That helps your team big time, no doubt.

But...

With a 1.24 k/d, you average about 8 deaths for every 10 kills you get.  That's a lot of deaths.  And deaths hurt your team.  Is 10-8 better than 8-10?  Of course.  But this notion that because you have a decent SPM and your collecting a lot of tags, it doesn't matter what your k/d is, doesn't add up.

A high SPM with a lot of tags and a 2.00 k/d, is a whole lot better than a high SPM with a lot of tags and a 1.24 k/d.

You're right to not care about what others are saying about you in your lobby.  But when taking into account ALL of your stats, k/d does matter in any given game mode...

If you don't get kills, you can't win; thus a positive KD is helpful in all game types.  I agree.  My little rant is that so many people in the lobbies claim to be the greatest because they have a 3-4 KD, but so many times my team will come away with the win because we played the objective, thus earning points. 

It's like playing football.  If the other team has possession of the ball for 90% of the game, but can't score; and your team puts points on the board but hardly ever has possession; then who cares about the time of possession.  In the end, who got the win?

ghamorra

I remember I played a game of Domination with someone I met on here. He was hardcore objective go getter and I agreed to play a game with him. The match was on Village and right off the bat we had lost both C and B. All we had was A and the enemy was doing the double cap and camp method within seconds of the matches start. But instead of trying to secure our spawn so we weren't getting camped the other guy I was playing with was shouting at me telling me to go for C. We could barely move out of our spawn and he kept going on suicide runs only to achieve nothing. Halfway through the match he was 30+ deaths and nearly no kills (I can't remember how many but it was in the single digits).

He fed kills to the enemy and airsupport kept us at bay and wouldn't let us out of our spawn. Once the Stealth Bombers started to roll in we were definitely effed. Platers were coming and going but since I was still doing halfway decent I stayed ( me being a "*****" I had on Blind-Eye and Assassin). So I helped the team with killstreaks seeing how I was the only one who could stay alive long enough.

I was working on a getting my Reaper by chilling near the flag and fighting off the spawn trappers. He left game pissed off but shortly after that I got my Reaper. We cleared out our spawn and took B. Then with my AC-130 in the air we capped C too and before long we were right back in the mix of things. Once our spawn was secured and safe for people to re enter the action without having to worry about getting shot instantly the game turned in our favor and in a matter of a couple minutes we took the lead

Moral of the story here is that getting kills can help your team if you're willing to use them for the team and not yourself. I didn't camp at A the whole match. I advanced with the team and protected what we had. I provided a safe spawn and still managed to camp actively. By the end of it all I had the highest K/D and the highest score/kills on the team. I also had the most stationary kills and the most defends according to the accolades I won. After that match the guy told me he would never play with me again since I was a camper and wouldn't cap flags. He obviously doesn't know strategy much like most of the rushers I play with so I didn't care. To all you rushers out there sometimes you need to put it in first gear and slow things down. There's no need to try and cap a flag when you don't even have your own flag to claim

However if you're not willing to use kills for the good of the win then your efforts are selfish and you don't deserve to claim your high K/D.

Dnt lump rushers in with noobs. Only noobs camp in spawn and run aimlessly at objective. A real rusher like me has control early and the enemy confused.

ghamorra

I think I touched on that somewhere within this reply. In the situation we were in even you would have taken a step back to asses what was going on. I feel that's something most rushers/n00bs don't understand about people who "camp". They're not all camping, just trying to seize control on a the chaos and start to turn the tables for the benefit of everyone on their team

Just like the guy I was playing with was a rusher that failed in his own playstyle there are campers that do the same. That's not what this is about, sometimes focusing on kills can, in the end, help you obtain an objective and get the win

JI_AFRO18

If only you could tell this to the randoms I play with in demolition, I have a 2.39 K/D and always play the objective but do it smartly whilst my teamates are rushing blindly to the bomb site and getting killed leaving myself to fight the enemy while my teamates are on the other side of the map at the spawn ive lost tonnes of games on demo because of this.

JI_AFRO18

If only you could tell this to the randoms I play with in demolition, I have a 2.39 K/D and always play the objective but do it smartly whilst my teamates are rushing blindly to the bomb site and getting killed leaving myself to fight the enemy while my teamates are on the other side of the map at the spawn ive lost tonnes of games on demo because of this.

The entire high SPM is so great theory is so flawed, it's not even funny.  Running non stop will net you a high SPM, does that mean you're a good player?  No, it just means you force the action and speed the game up.  What makes you a good player is having a high SPM with a good K/D.  I'd gladly take the 2-3 K/D guy with the 200-250 SPM over a 1.24KD/290SPM player any day.

This exactly. I got so tired of SPM in Black Ops because of this exact reason. The trash players going 21 - 19 were always higher than me who would pull scores between 14 - 1 to 22 - 3.

The last few months of BO I was averaging a 3.90 to 4.60 weekly TDM KD with an spm ranging between 200 - 240 so I caught so much **** over that despite always outperforming everyone in the lobby.

ghamorra

My friends and I played CTF a lot. One of my friends was the designated flag runner. He never had a positive K/D because he would solely focus on running the flag. I was the anit flag carrier on our team so I had one of the highest K/Ds. My friend would rack up the most points because of all the caps he would get and returns. I only got defends so my score was average.

One week he started off really well. the first day he capped every flag and put together some real nice K/Ds too. He was ranked top 100 for the week and top 10,000 for the month

The best part is, he didn't play for last half of the week and since this was also the start of a new month his stats were not truely accurate

Which brings me to the following. A lot of players would hop into a game, get a few kills and gtfo to preserve their spm. It confused me why players would get their killstreaks, destroy with them and then leave a winning game. That is until I figured out that it was an spm thing lol

Missing Snorlax wrote:

This exactly. I got so tired of SPM in Black Ops because of this exact reason. The trash players going 21 - 19 were always higher than me who would pull scores between 14 - 1 to 22 - 3.

The last few months of BO I was averaging a 3.90 to 4.60 weekly TDM KD with an spm ranging between 200 - 240 so I caught so much **** over that despite always outperforming everyone in the lobby.

Sounds about right, the high SPM crap is what players use now to try to negate K/D.  The thinking is so flawed though considering a player can go 20-40 every match really really fast and have a high SPM.  So now the trash player convinces themselves they are good because they are ranked high in SPM.  I hear lots of people say stats mean nothing.  If they said a STAT means nothing, I'd be inclined to agree.  But if you look at all stats of a player, they will usually tell the story of the player.  All the stats combined say it all, not just one individual stat.  But, getting this across to certain people proves to be futile.

WKMMS

None of the stats in this game give a sure indication of how good a player actually "is"... For example: My KDR is a wholly unimpressive 1.1, but this is an average over 6 months of gameplay. 

In the beginning, my KDR was pretty poor at around 0.6.  It was a long time before I got back into the grove of playing CoD and started working it back up. Now I have about 47,000 kills so the chances of making a huge adjustment up or down to my 1.1 KDR at this point are slim. I'm not saying I've become some super awesome player all of a sudden, but in the last couple of months my average KDR would probably be closer to 1.7. 

If you want to judge a player's skill level by statistics then you need more more detailed and regular breakdowns of all aspects of a players performance over the various gametypes played. 

Honestly though, do we really need all these stats in a video game?  Stats give you something to brag about and  many become obsessed with achieving good stats and thus taking the game overly serious.

The stats all together give a great picture, as long as you know how to interpret them.  They can be sorted by weekly, monthly, and all time.  So, by sorting it to weekly and looking at your overall K/D vs. weekly or monthly K/D, one can see you are a much improved player.

As for having so many stats, I say why not?  The people who like having quick access to all those stats should not be punished by having them removed due to people who obsess over them.

Winning. That's what matters. Last I checked, KC =/= TDM...

You did awesome in my book.

I don't really care about kd ratios and all the siht! I play to win and if my kills hare above my deaths in TDM then I contributed.

I always play for the objective in objective games and hate the fcukers who don't. Pisses me off big time that I'm getting air raped trying to win a flag when some other dipsiht is sitting camping waiting on gun feed to run by.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Snipingdbag

I was capping B when the score was 150-160 something, 2 players on my team ignored it and just walked on, I died a millisecond off the cap and we lost that game at that moment, one dude that walked away was going 11-29. If you're shi-t, at least help cap & help clean your shi-t aka carry a stinger. In one game this week I had to destroy over 15 heli's and reapers. I mean seriously..

I also got moabed today for the first time, averaging a 2 k/d with 11 caps (lost the game 195-200), only one on my team actually capping & defending constantly, sometimes matchbalancing is really retarded, but I'm on the good side enough too & beating a clan solo or seeing them rage is a lot of fun.

All stats can be manipulated in some way to make the person seem 'better'

It's all about assessing the situation for me, in KC for example, grabbing 2-3 tags and dying once, for me thats good, still got an aggregate tag score up on the guy who killed you by 1 or 2 so happy days

But however i  am not a crazy running who sees a tag, my eyes light up, then make it my goal to get said tag

Silly logic i feel