29 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2012 8:22 AM by BIGBANG BAZINGA RSS

Aim assist not working?

luckeeeluciano

I notice in 8 or 9 games out of 10 that my aim assist does not work.  If you think I am exaggerating, I am not.  My accuracy has got me ranked dead last in the game.  The one or two games where my aim assist does work, it is quite obvious.  The difference is night and day.  Wondering if anyone else is having this problem.  Any ideas why this is happening?

• Re: Aim assist not working?
    CowboySr

User error.

Isn't that good? I hope every CoD take out aim assist on the game so everybody can start learning how to aim with their skills.

luckeeeluciano

Yeah, I would have no prob with that at all.  I would rather that everyone played without aim assist on.  The rub is that most everyone does play with it on and I get why they have it in the game in the first place (to simulate the pc experience). 

I wasn't whining or complaining.  I was asking if others noticed the same problem or if it is unique to either my game or console etc....

@Cowboy Sr  - Don't you wish you knew something.  I could say the same for you mouth.

CowboySr

I was just teasing. Settle. I wish they get rid of aim assist too. Its so people kids can play too.

luckeeeluciano

Fair enough.  Sorry about that.  Just was prepared for the flaming to begin.  I have always been a fan of playing with it off but with this game, my gun seems to, sometime, strafe off of people instead of towards them (that is under the worst conditions).  Most of the time I just have to do my own aiming and that is fine, but my accuracy stat def reflects that.  I have noticed I am able to get a lot more headshots when "sticky aim" is not working for me.

Anyways, apparantly this seems to not be an issue with anyone else so I will just live with it or maybe try to figure out what is going on, on my end of things.

luckeeeluciano wrote:

Yeah, I would have no prob with that at all.  I would rather that everyone played without aim assist on.  The rub is that most everyone does play with it on and I get why they have it in the game in the first place (to simulate the pc experience). 

I wasn't whining or complaining.  I was asking if others noticed the same problem or if it is unique to either my game or console etc....

@Cowboy Sr  - Don't you wish you knew something.  I could say the same for you mouth.

I know you're not whining/complaining man. I think it's fair for everybody not to have aim assist in game. Let's hope the next CoD will have no aim assist at all.

Go play Black Ops with "Target Assist" disabled and tell me how well you play without aim assist.

The fundementals of aim assist are there for a reason on Halo, Crisis, CoD, BF3, etc.

ill-lll

Torzhok wrote:

Go play Black Ops with "Target Assist" disabled and tell me how well you play without aim assist.

About 1000x better. Aim assist is nothing but a hinderance if you have no problems using your sticks with precision. The fact you can't turn it off in MW3's multiplayer is absurd. You can disable it in the campaign, so the support is obviously there. It makes no sense.

Even with aim assist off in black ops it's still there, just not as strong.  If they took it out you would see a flood of complaints from people as they would realize how much their aim is helped with this function.

Gerbal2000

Unless you use a keyboard/mouse (which I don't) you can't aim at people in a fast paced FPS using you thumbs, I mean come on. Given your playing over the Internet and there is going to be a time lag between the fastest and slowest players dependant upon the lag compensation, it's effectiveness will be dependant upon your connection, I mean come on.

Gerbal2000

Unless you use a keyboard/mouse (which I don't) you can't aim at people in a fast paced FPS using you thumbs, I mean come on. Given your playing over the Internet and there is going to be a time lag between the fastest and slowest players dependant upon the lag compensation, it's effectiveness will be dependant upon your connection, I mean come on.

I've been having the same issue actually, I think it's lag-related somehow. Once I lined up my target, that was pretty much it. Now, it's like it's constantly pushing me off of them. I think it's because I'm not synced up properly.

I'm not sure what the patch did, but I can tell you without hesitation that it helped my game.  I'm new to the xbox (played wii and NEVER used aim assist as you can totally turn it off in multiplayer).  Aim assist was kind of messing me up because I am used to having to put the reticle on the player myself.  I kept overcompensating and falling off target (especially when hip firing).  But, I also play alot on my own, so the matchmaking tweak they made might have alot to do with my improved k/d ratio during games.  I noticed that I am getting the drop on guys alot more than I used to.  I for one would favor getting rid of aim assist completely.  Or maybe just an option to turn it off completely?

I am pretty familiar with aim assist and last night I noticed in one of my games, my aim was horrible. 10 times worse than the game before and after. It seemed like autoaim was off.

Last time I thought I had auto aim off was 2011. That was before I knew you couldnt disable it, like in Black Ops.

For those of you who have played this console for awhile, I have a question. I've been told you can turn off aim assist but I cannot find no such option. Others say there is no aim assist, only sticky aim (whatever, it's the same thing but to a lesser degree).  My question is in older versions, did you have an option to turn off aim assist in multiplayer?  And they took that away in one of the more recent COD's?  There are a bunch of different "truths" to this question.  What's the deal (help a noob out, will ya)?

There is no option to turn it off in MW3. As far as I know, you CAN turn it off in Black Ops. As for the earlier CoDs I'm not sure. I'm assuming you always could turn it off in CoD, up until MW3. I'm sure someone else will know.

Someone a few months ago claimed that in MW3, if you turned off aim assist in Spec Ops Survival, then it was also disabled for regular multiplayer.  I've never tried to find out if it was true, though.  I don't recall ever checking if the option existed in Spec Ops Survival in the first place.

Officially, there is no way to turn off aim assist in multiplayer.  If you can find a method, then it was unintentional.

Hi Luckeee

I have had the same problem it seem the auto assist pulls you away from your target rather than towards like it is suppose to, I use the a.c.r.

Last weekend the game was good but after tuesday's update I have had a hard time keeping a positve k/d.

I'm not sure what specifically happened, but I can tell you aiming has felt different since the update.

What the hell is aim assist?? Have I not heard about it cause I play hardcore?? Sounds like a core issue and I want no part of aim assist.

I turned it off in Black Ops. I like not having aim assist, even if everyone else does have it, it presents more of a challenge.

That said, the amount it 'assists' you is only really small, it's not like you've suddenly turned into a human aimbot.

Aim assist is one of the most annoying things on MW3!...

Not "lag comp" or "OP weapons" but damn AIM ASSIST...

How hard can it be to give us an option to turn it off?...ive been killed so many times because of it...It mostly hurts when more than one enemy in my sights appears and the assist doesnt know what to do and flings my aim off everywhere but the target....

Also if ive got my SMAW out and pulling it across the screen and assist will pick up on someone and stop you pulling across, i fire and boom im dead because i needed a little more to the side and have caught a teammate on the eyelid!!

For it being different after the patch?....NO its still the same but they have definatly done sumit cuz it feels strange now with ADS?????????//