So, I spent a few hours before work today playing MW3's "New" <cough> Game Mode, Face-Off (the Travolta/Cage jokes have already been exhausted, folks). Because I am not a big fan of MW3, of course it got me thinking to BlOps 2 and if this mode would be a viable option, so thought I'd post a few of my thoughts and see what everyone else is thinking on the matter.
- 1v1 = Boosting. I can't help but shake that thought. Black Ops did an exceptional job at keeping boosters away and I would hate to see that element get a forum in the new game. The only thing I can think of is that if something like this did make an appearance, it would need to be in unranked lobbies, where you can't level up weapons or earn XP toward leveling up. Maybe it would work as a Wager Match type deal? You put COD points up against the opponent? Not sure that would work entirely either, but I don't see it being a viable game mode if it can be used to level up. Too many people would take advantage of it.
- Killstreaks- Why oh why would they include Killstreaks in a 1v1 matchup??? I mean, really. You go in to play against other players, not their AI controlled helicopters. Heck, a Stealth Bomber would pretty much blanket the whole map, no? If this was brought back, would need to be without Killstreaks to make it truly gun on gun.
- Weapon Balance and Perks- Since all that is available for Face-Off is Core modes <FACEPALM>, weapon balance is an issue. It would seem to me to make more sense to make it barebones. No attachments or proficiencies on the weapons, and I would go as far as to say force a pistol as a sidearm. Otherwise, one on ones aren't really even, the OP weapon wins. I if I got XP for all the hit-markers I got today I would be 15th prestige. I honestly like the idea that both players are given the same weapon and sidearm, same grenades and equipment for each match. It would truly be a test of skill and take players out of their comfort zone a little bit. Same goes for perks, I would just say either give everyone the same perks or make it like a Specialist-type situation, where you earn them through killstreaks.
- Camping. Camping. CAMPING!- Sad that I have to bring this up, but its the scourge of the game and everyone knows it. Its even sadder in 1v1 situations when someone just sits in a corner. Not sure that I know how, or if its even possible, to solve this. Someone made a suggestion that there be random UAV sweeps once a minute or so, and would show everyone on the map. It would be awesome to make it like a "Hunger Games" type scenario. Someone is camping? They send something to disrupt them, perhaps a targeted airstrike on their area or maybe something like a "spotter". You stay in one place too long, your opponent gets an indicator of your location and you get advised that you've been spotted. Something to keep the action moving. I dunno guys, what do you think?
- Small Maps- I have a love/hate relationship with small maps. Love them because the action doesn't stop, but hate them because my reaction time isn't always that great compared to some younger games. I like the idea of small maps for small team engagements, however, and would like to see something like that in Black Ops. Lets face it, love it or hate it, Nuketown was a face-paced game, and I never saw it get to the point where the timer ran out on TDM.
My final thoughts are, sadly, no it shouldn't be brought back in the state it is now. Maybe if Treyarch gets their capable hands on it, it could be a fun, useful game mode, but as it is its an absolute mess and a waste of time. I was kind of looking forward to it, to be honest, but once again IW disappoints. No innovation, no creativity, and just fodder for the cheaters and exploiters alike. Any thoughts on this?